WI: Robert Bork is confirmed to the Supreme Court

Some court-watchers believe that had Reagan flipped the order in which he nominated Bork and Scalia, nominating Bork for Rehnquist's seat and Scalia for Powell's seat, he could have gotten both confirmed. Bork - who had a longer paper trail and a more established conservative record - would have faced a Republican Senate.

What are the effects on the Court and on American politics if Robert Bork is a justice on the Supreme Court?

My thoughts: if we assume that George H.W. Bush still wins the '88 election, it's possible that Clarence Thomas' fails to be confirmed, as enough Democrats flip to opposition due to the court's even harder-right tilt.

IF Thomas does get confirmed, then Roe v. Wade is likely outright overruled in Planned Parenthood v. Casey in 1992. The 1992 election focuses much more heavily on abortion rights, and throughout the 1990s, elections at the state level focus heavily on abortion rights. During Clinton's first two years, there is substantial effort to enact a federal abortion rights law. If it succeeds, it becomes the subject of numerous court challenges and a key point of contention in the 1994 midterms. The Republican Congresses of 1995-2001 repeatedly attempt to pass bills overturning the abortion law, which are either stalled by Senate filibusters or vetoed by Clinton. Efforts continue during the Bush years, with attempts to overturn the law again stalled by Democratic filibusters.

Bork, for his part, may step down between 2005 and 2007 to allow George W. Bush to confirm his successor. If he stays on the bench, then there emerges a strong chance that Bork will be replaced by Obama. He doesn't voluntarily resign, but at 83 years of age in 2010, the odds are high that Obama will name his replacement if he wins a second term.

Some court-watchers believe that had Reagan flipped the order in which he nominated Bork and Scalia, nominating Bork for Rehnquist's seat and Scalia for Powell's seat, he could have gotten both confirmed. Bork - who had a longer paper trail and a more established conservative record - would have faced a Republican Senate.

Uh...you sure about that?

Aside from that, what you've sketched seems fairly reasonable and plausible.

Blair152

Banned
How old was Robert Bork in 1987? About fifty or sixty? Compared to the people who were on the Supreme Court then, and those who are on it now,
he'd still be young enough to make a difference like Clarence Thomas did.

Uh...you sure about that?

Aside from that, what you've sketched seems fairly reasonable and plausible.

Absolutely sure about that. Scalia is Rehnquist's successor. Burger resigned as Chief Justice, Rehnquist was promoted from associate justice to succeed him, and Scalia was nominated to fill the vacancy caused by Rehnquist's elevation.

Absolutely sure about that. Scalia is Rehnquist's successor. Burger resigned as Chief Justice, Rehnquist was promoted from associate justice to succeed him, and Scalia was nominated to fill the vacancy caused by Rehnquist's elevation.

*Facepalm* Duh, of course. That makes sense. A Chief Justice resigning or dying, another member being moved up to replace him, and a new Justice being appointed to fill the *current* Chief Justice's *old* seat hasn't happened since I was born, so I didn't think about that. I just remembered that R. hadn't died until '05, so it seemed really odd Scalia would have replaced him...after all, he was still around...

I don't think Bork woul stop Thomas from winning confirmation, but I suppose it is possible. If Thomas had failed I have read that Bush would have nominated an apeals court judge named Edith Jones, who I assume would have been as conservative as Thomas.

Presuming that Thomas is there or that Jones has similar views on Roe vs Wade. The big difference comes in 1992 with Planned Parenthood vs Casey. A case involving Pennslyvania's abortion laws. White. Rhenquist, Scaila and Thomas signed a decision that would have overturned Roe vs Wade if another jusitce had signed on. O Conner, Kennedy and Souter signed on to what stood as the decision that upheld the restrictions on Abortion but kept the basic premise of Row vs Wade. If Bork was there instead of Kennedy. Roe vs Wade would have been overturned.