Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Somalia

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • India

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Flag challenge ended, let's vote!
The theme this week was "an alternate split (for example North and South Korea, or East and West Germany). May be past, present or future" so please pay attention to the fact that there's TWO flag for each entry.

Entry #1
Persia/Iran, which is divided after a POD in the year 1946 between the Soviets, who don't want to go, and the British, who install a puppet dictator.

The first flag, the Flag of Nothern Persia / the People's Republic of Iran is a tricolore spotting the Pan-Iranian colours, as well as the classic hammer and sickle, as well as two stars, showing the Soviet backing of the government.

The second flag, which is used by Southern Persia / the Free Republic of Persia is more complex, while overall staying in Pan-Iranian colours. In the center, there is the faravahar, showing the cultural roots of the country.
Communist%20Iran.png

Free%20Persia.png
Entry#2
North and South Japan, more properly known as the Peoples Democratic Republic of Japan and the Republic of Japan.

The PDRJ flag uses soviet iconography of stars and red/yellow. The large star overlaid on the rising sun shows the preeminence of the people on the empire, while the three smaller stars represent the three home islands of the PDRJ.

The RoJ flag rejects the imperial trappings of the past. Instead the stylized cherry blossom represents the peace and harmony that are the bedrocks of the republic. The thirteen blue and white bars are in recognition of the democratic ideals adopted from the Americans of the refounded republic following the fall of Tokyo in 1946.
attachment.php
Entry #3
Philippines divided by Japan and the US at the end of WWII. My first instinct was to make the flags complementary, but it would seem like there was a collaboration between the US and Japan on the flag design. lol!

Japan Controlled Luzon (North): Luzon Autonomous Territory

4452858947_b06dc418a5_o.png

US Controlled Visayas and Mindanoa (South): Commonwealth of the Southern Philippine Islands

4458642197_14130e33e0_o.png
Entry #4
A different end to WW1 causes France to go heavily Fascist, following its defeat it is divided into Separate North & South Republics.

The Federal Republic of France in the north. Allied to the US, UK, and the German Empire. It has a federal parliamentary system similar to OTL Federal Republic of Germany.

The People's Republic of France in the south. Allied to Communist Spain and Italy as a member of the Latin Union, the Soviet Union, and Yugoslavia. In addition to a President and a Premier it also has a Chairman who is part of the ruling council of the Latin Union.
attachment.php
Entry #5
Italy

Northern Italy secedes under the pressure of Northern League Party, and adopts a blue-green-white flag (colours of the padanian fields, Po river and alpine snowy mountains) charged by the "Sun of the Alps", symbol of the Padania.
italianord.png

Southern Italy transforms itself into a monarchy, offers the throne to the Savoy family, that accepts, and keeps the tricolour, charged with the new royal coat of arms (quartered: 1st Rome, 2nd Naples, 3rd Sardinia and 4th Sicily, Savoy overall, yes I know those are civic coat of arms, forgive me I was lazy)
italiasud.png
Entry #6
Somalia:
The colonies of British Somaliland and Italian Somaliland become independent as separate countries rather than uniting as OTL. West Somalia, officially the State of Somaliland gained its independence from Britain in 1964, while East Somalia, officially the Somali Republic became independent from Italy in 1955. There are pan-Somali movements in both countries, although they remained divided over the extent of a possibe united Somalia, moderates just want the unification of East and West Somalia while radicals want the inclusion Djibouti, Ogaden and northwest Kenya, however both use a white star on blue as a pan-Somali symbol.
attachment.php
Entry #7
India:
For reasons I'll leave for the reader to decide, the Portuguese more heavily colonize in India and the subcontinent is eventually divided between the Portuguese in the South and the British in the North. Upon independence, OTL India is divided largely into two states:
The Union of India or Hindustan (British, upper flag)
and
The Deccan States(Portuguese, lower flag)
attachment.php

I voted without taking a good, hard look. Plz change my vote from Italy to France, if that's allowed. Occitan cross commie star FTW!

All great entries.

I ended up choosing between Japan, the Philippines and Somalia and
in the end voted for the Philippines.

I'd have voted for the Japan, but the graininess of the central star
for the North's flag took away from it.

All great entries.

I ended up choosing between Japan, the Philippines and Somalia and
in the end voted for the Philippines.

I'd have voted for the Japan, but the graininess of the central star
for the North's flag took away from it.
damn! the graininess was on purpose! threads stitching to high-light the segments... ah well, there goes a vote...

Last edited:
I really like the Philippines one, but in the end I have to go for the Persia/Iran thing since I really like the Zoroastrian symbol.

Yeah, 7 votes already! It really encourages me to do more. Maybe even a mini-TL after I am back from the holidays. I just hope I will get to go online while I am away, so that I can check who did win.

Also, I really like the Philippines (if it weren't for the awry stars) and Japan, as well as Communist France. Really, great flags.
The other ones are fine, too, but not as great as the previously mentioned ones.

Well done all.
It was a close contest and a hard one too.
I daresay it was only my Occitanised Communist Star that garnered the winning vote :D.

A new challenge shall be up shortly!