WI Malcolm X not assassinated?

What if Malcolm X's assassins were intercepted and stopped in time, so that he survived?

(I was going to say "What if he was just wounded?" but I looked it up and they shot him a whole hell of a lot of times -- there's no way he'd survive. So instead, just what if they never got to shoot him in the first place?)

The Vulture

Banned
I have a feeling subsequent attempts would be made (Louis X was not happy with him). He was moving towards a more peaceful message, so if he continues to chill out like so, he might be more fondly remembered.

More black MUSLIMS -- fewer BLACK Muslims.
Hopefully more attention the Black community to the Self sufficiency Movement, with richer inner cities, with fewer Unemployed youth, and the destructive Ghetto mentality.
More attention payed to Education, Fewer Blacks putting down other black Scholars for Acting White.***
Hopefully More Black Leaders, who reject the Government forced fed view of -Blacks as Victims-

*** I've been amazed as a group that emphasized Education as a means of Advancement, even to the point of risking Capital punishment, Has in only 2 generations turned 180 degrees.

I have a feeling subsequent attempts would be made (Louis X was not happy with him).

I read this, and I was sorely tempted to post something like But how solid was his claim to the throne at the time? And should Malcolm survive, would he seek an alliance with Duncan or go straight to the English?

But I'm a nice person so I won't do that. :D

Instead I will just point out that by the time of his murder Malcolm had embraced orthodox Sunni Islam, renamed himself El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz and had abandoned the NOI with all of it's Yakub, mother-ship flying saucer nonsense. He had just founded the Organization of Afro-American Unity, a Black nationalist group, but with his conversion to Islam he believed that religion was the means by which America's racial problems could be overcome. How true that was is debatable.

In any case, I think that he would have been the missing link between the militancy of the Black Panthers and the pacifism of the SCLC, perhaps being more effective than either.

I suspect as the years go one, he would be very much against the Vietnam War, which probably won't win him many favours with average Americans.It's possible like Vulture said that their would be more attempts in the future, and he only has to have one unlucky day to have one succeed...

I do know that in 1968, RFK was planning to invite black leaders into his administration as policy advisers. With Kennedy's workfare, Clintonite domestic agenda and Malcolm's push for self-sufficiency, perhaps an unholy alliance could be formed? :eek:

The minister was still too controversial a figure to be invited to discuss policy, and still too skeptical of white American society to accept the role. I can certainly see him getting involved in civic affairs in African-American communities, and it's possible that the more paranoid and drug-addicted Black Panther leaders never would have been thrust forward as the figureheads of the Afro-American movement had the leadership void not been there.

Minister X would have been an excellent community organizer and civil rights leader, and probably would have eventually achieved a level of respectability even among the whites he refused handouts from.

What if Malcolm X's assassins were intercepted and stopped in time?

Let me guess, Malcolm X's would-be assassins would've been placed on trial for attempted murder? :D

In all seriousness, most likely nothing much would have changed. As Mr. Statichaos stated earlier, Malcolm X was just too controversial and infamous to seriously impact the political stage of the United States during that time period. There's a level one reaches in which prestige and infamousy affect the potential to change and affect society.

Malcolm made the push towards becoming true Muslims and not Black Muslims. He converted to a Sunni Muslim and encouraged the idea of "no prophet after Muhammad, and no book after the koran." Despite the push towards peace many people did not enjoy Malcolm in terms of popularity and his new message. I have always believed that Louis Farrakhan had some hand in the killing, and Malcolm's sudden stance change angered him a lot.

Plus Louis seems to have boasted about it in 1993, "Was Malcolm a traitor to your nation or to ours? A nation has to be able to deal with traitors."