The Airship Legacy

Okay, so here is the very beginning of "The Airship Legacy". This Part I will probably be expanded a little bit. Enjoy! (also, FYI, "Airship President" has been submitted to the TL board.)

The Airship Legacy
The Legacy of the Hugo Eckener Presidency

small_los_angeles_over_dc.jpg
TIME-Eckener.jpg
Clipper.jpg

PART I: TIME FOR SOME R&R

1954 was a busy time of year for Germany. With the Polish War finally over, it was time to settle down and create a peace with the now fraying Soviet Union. Delegates from the Ruling Council met with the German Foreign Minister and Chancellor, along with delegates from Poland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, and several from the German-occupied territories of the Soviet Union. The Russians new they were in a tight spot, and were willing to give concessions that many would have found unthinkable prior to Stalin’s death in 1953.
What ultimately occurred was the signing of the Treaty of Leningrad on August 19, 1954. The treaty ceeded all Soviet territory occupied by the Germans over to the locals, to be administered by the Germans no later than 1960. The Russians had to destory a third of their airplanes and battleships, and had to reduce their military to 75% of it’s current strength.
After this treaty was signed, the Confrence of Tallinn was held on October 1, 1954, with the leaders of all the occupied territories attending to discuss what to do with the lands formerly held by the Soviet Union. At the suggestion of the German Empress, one of the German delegates suggested that the three Baltic States, Belarussia, Northern Ukraine, and the Territory of Leningrad/Petrograd be unified as the “Imperial Baltic Federation”. Under the Proposal, each of the territories would have local autonomy, but would support a single “federal” government headed by a restored Russian Czar that would be limited by a consitution similar to that of Germany. They would have a common currency, common military, and common foreign policy, and free trade, but almost all other local issues would be handled by parliaments/councils of each territory. After much debate, the delegates signed the Tallin Accord, which set a date for a constitutional convention to start on January 2, 1955. It also created a regency council to pick the new Czar.
- Hammon, Dr. Andrew. Modern History of Germany. New York City, NY: Colombia Univiersity Press, 2001

GERMANS LAUNCH FIRST SATELILLITE
BERLIN, OCT 1- The German Science Ministry announced today that the Imperial Rocket Force at Peenamunde launched an A-8 Rocket that carried the first man-made satellite into space. The U.S. Army Air Corp confirmed that they received a repeating transmission from the satellite, and there have been sitings of the craft by the Navy.
The American Rocket Agency in Huntsville, which was only formed five years ago, has stated that they are still years away from being able to match this feat of engineering. President Rogers has stated that he believes that America should put more empahsis on it’s rocket program. “Our country could benifite greatly from the use of space exploration, and it must be a priority of this government to see that America goes to space!”
The IRF has stated that it plans to send up more A-8 rockets with satelites soon, and that today the Kaiser extolled on the radio that “Today’s feat of rocketry and science is just the begninning of great things to come for the German Empire. It is the goal of Dr. von Braun and others at Peenamunde that within a decade, man will go to space, and hopefully to the Moon.” This speech was given to the Reichstag an hour after the launch, and was met with a thunderous applause from the delegates.
-“Gremans Launch First Satellite,” The New York Times, October 1, 1954.

NEW CZAR CHOSEN​
PETROGRAD, FEB 3- The Russian Regency Council announced today that Grand Duke Vladimir Kirillovich has been selected by the council to become the new Czar of Russia and the greater Imperial Baltic Federation. A date for the coronation has not yet been set, but it is expected to occur sometime in mid summer here in the city of Petrograd. It is the hope of the Regency Coucnil that the Constitutiotnal Convention going on in Tallin will conclude before the new Czar is crowned.
-“New Czar Chosen,” The Times (London), February 3, 1955.

ATOMIC POWER
BERLIN, APR 14- Scientists at Humboldt University have announced that they have been able to create a sustained atomic reaction at a research facility outside of the Imperial Capital. These researchers say that it is their hope to have these types of reactions more stable and better understood by 1960, and to focus on using these reactions as a source of untold energey to power the cities of the world. Discussion is also occuring about applying this new science to powering man-made craft, mainly naval vessels, although some have suggested using these types of reactions to power airships as well. The allure behind atomic energy is that it can provide huge amounts of power and can allow ships to stay at sea (or in the air) indefinitly, at least in theory.
-“Atomic Power,” Popular Science, April 21, 1955.

ROGERS ANNOUNCES PLANS FOR ANOTHER RUN​
WASHINGTON, MAY 19- President Rogers announced today that he will seek reelection to his third official term. Republicans are criticizing this move, saying that it breaks with long standing precedent that has been in place since George Washington. These are the same Republicans who claim that Rogers is already in a thrid term as President, since the President ended up serving out most of Cordell Hull’s second term following his untimely death in 1945 when Hull’s plane went missing in the Atlantic Ocean.
The Republican’s themselves have not put forth a candidate yet, but one possibility now being discussed is Rogers’ own Secretary of State, Dwight D. Eisenhower.
-“Rogers Announces Plans for Another Run,” Washington Post, May 20, 1955.

IMPERIAL RUSSIAN CONSTITUTION APPROVED​
TALLIN, JUNE 1- The Constitutional Convention for the so-called “Imperial Baltic Federation,” has today announced that they have approved a constitution for the new state, which is being forged from Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Belarusia, North Ukraine, and North West Russia (also refferd to as Free Russia). The Constitution, which sets the restored Russian monarchy as the official Head of State, will function as a mix of the US and UK governments. The Central government will be a Parliamentary Monarchy, with a strong bicameral legislature called the Duma (which will contain a House of Nobels and a House of Commons). The Head of Government shall be the Prime Minister, elected from the members of the House of Commons. Each member state in the Federation will have a large degree of internal autonomy, and the national government shall handle defense, foreign policy, international trade, and economic issues. The new government system will take effect on August 1, 1955, the date that has recently been set as the Corontation Day for Grand Duke Vladimir Kirillovich, who is to become the new Czar of Russia.
-“Imperial Russian Constitution Approved,” The Times (London), June 1, 1955

GERMANS TO GIFT KRONPRINZ WILHELM TO FREE RUSSIA
BERLIN, JUNE 17- The German Government today announced that the LZ-135 Kronprinz Wilhelm to the Free Russia as a gift to soon-to-be Czar Vladimir Kirillovich, who will be crowned on August 1. Right now, the ship, which served as the Imperial Air Yatch from 1942 until the completion of the LZ-168 Kaiser Wilhelm III last year, is now being refitted to serve as the Imperial Air Yatch of the new Russian Czar. The artwork is being redone, the furniture being changed and modernized, and the Lutheran and Orthodox chalpels are being converted into one large Orthodox Chaple for the Russian Imperial Family. The airship is due to be ready for the Coronation Ceremony in Petrograd, and Grand Duke Vladimir has stated that he intends to take an air-tour of the newly formed Imperial Baltic Federation aboad the LZ-135 sometime in September of this year.
-“Germans to Gift Kronprinz Wilhelm to Free Russia,” The Times (London), June 17, 1955.

I like how this is set up.

For some reason, I can't subscribe to it though.

A few spelling mistakes, but overall, a good start.

Huzzah! The Legacy lives on! :D

Q1: Why is Rogers persuing beyond 2 terms? FDR had the war, Rogers doesn't. Besides, he really seems the type that'd follow the GW example.

Q2: Why is Ike Sec State? OTL he entered politics by popular demand, being the super hero of WW2. He otherwise, IIRC, was disinterested in politics.

Q3: who photoshoped that PanAm Zep? Brilliant!

Eckener said:
...Right now, the ship, which served as the Imperial Air Yatch from 1942 until the completion of the LZ-168 Kaiser Wilhelm III last year, is now being refitted to serve as the Imperial Air Yatch of the new Russian Czar...

Q4: Who is Kaiser Wilhelm III? :confused:

Huzzah! The Legacy lives on! :D

Q1: Why is Rogers persuing beyond 2 terms? FDR had the war, Rogers doesn't. Besides, he really seems the type that'd follow the GW example.

Q2: Why is Ike Sec State? OTL he entered politics by popular demand, being the super hero of WW2. He otherwise, IIRC, was disinterested in politics.

Q3: who photoshoped that PanAm Zep? Brilliant!

1. This is a good point. My main motivation here had been that I wanted the two term limit tradition to fade and end. And I figured since Rogers is a popular president....but you're right...Rogers, of all people, would be the least likely to run for an official third term without a good reason. Who would run for the Dems if Rogers steps down?

2. I'd had Ike appointed by Rogers to SecState in an effort by Rogers to show he was more bipartisan, and ike's apointment follows on the heels of the GPW where Ike was a major hero, so I think this would make some amount of sense.

3. I wish I could take credit for that, but I found it via google:
http://www.wolfsshipyard.mystarship.com/Misc/Airships/AirshipPhotos.htm

Q4: *Who is Kaiser Wilhelm *III*? :confused:

4. "KWIII" is a reference to Kronprinz Wilhelm, who would have become Kaiser Wilhelm III if hadn't been for his assasination in early 1939. Truth be told I was coming up short on trying to come up with a name last night when I wrote that, and if somebody has a better suggestion, I'm all ears.

Okay, so here is a rewrite to part one:

ROGERS WILL NOT RUN IN 1956
WASHINGTON, MAY 19- President Rogers announced today that he will not seek reelection in 1956, bowing to the two-term tradition that has been in place since President George Washington. As of yet, the Democrats have no clear replacement for Rogers, but there are a few possibile candidates that Washington political analysts have been eyeing for some time.
The Republicas are looking to rally behind Secretary of State Dwight D. Eisenhower, who has said he was considering a run, only if Rogers did not run in the election. Since this is the case, pundits here in the capital expect Eisenhower to make a formal announcement soon.
-“Rogers Will Not Run in 1956,” Washington Post, May 20, 1955.

EISENHOWER TO RUN IN ‘56
WASHINGTON, JUNE 9- Secretary of State Dwight D. Eisenhower today announced that he would seek the Republican nomination for the 1956 Presidential race. “Ike for Ameirca” is the slogan that will be used for the campaign, and Eisenhower is expected to start serious campaigning in September.
President Rogers stated that he thinks Eisenhower would make “as good a president as any man who has ever held the office, and probably better than some.” The Democrats still have yet to have any real clear choice come forward for this election.
-“Eisenhower to Run in ’56,” The New York Times, June 10, 1955.

and here is the new addition to part one:

KENNEDY TO RUN AGAINST EISENHOWER
BOSTON, NOV 19- Joseph P. Kennedy has announced today that he will run in the 1956 election against Eisenhower. Kennedy promises to increase funding to the American Rocket Agency, so that American can catch up with the German Empire in space exploration. He is also wanting to establish a new national transportation network of interstate highways and railroads. Eisenhower wants to turn America’s focus away from railways and towards the automobile, and promsises that if elected, the government will gradually stop using trains to ship cargo where it would be more efficient to do so.
-“Kennedy to Run Against Eisenhower,” The Washington Post, November 19, 1955.

WAVE OF REFUGES FROM USSR
PETROGRAD, MARCH 5- The Imperial Baltic Federation is reporting high numbers of refugees crossing the boarder into the Federation, seeking to escape the Soviet Union. Under an Imperial law passed last November, any Soviet citizen that arrives in the Federation is automatically granted Imperial citizenship and support from the Empire is given until they are on their own two feet. Some in the new Russia fear that the support of these refugees might be a drain on the Imperial eceonomy, but Czar Vladimir and the Prime Minister both have stated that helping these people escape communism is a high priority of this country. In Berlin, Kaiser Louis Ferdinand stated that he would send support to the Baltic for this endeavour, and the British have also offered support.
The refugees coming in from the USSR say that the Soviet empire is teetering on the edge of collapse. The Communist Party has a new General Secretary, but he does not control the country the way Josef Stalin did. Instead, the 4 senior generals of the Red Army’s Ruling Council are calling the shots, and they aren’t getting along very well, which has paralyzed the country’s ability to recover from the Polish War. In Moscow, factories still lie in ruin, and there are reported to still be holes in the Kremlin itself.
-“Wave of Refugees from USSR,” Berliner Morgenpost, March 5. 1956.

And here is Part Two. Enjoy!

PART II: SPACE RACE AND RACE RELATIONS

The Imperial Rocket Force began testing with animals in 1956, sending a dog, named Blondie, into space in March of that year, and then a cat, named Helga, in July. At the end of the year, the IRF announced that they were ready to send the first human being into space. On April 1, 1957, Luther Rotschild became the first human being to go into space. Dr. von Braun exclaimed that by 1965 there would be a man on the moon, and that, with any luck by 1970 there would be a man on Mars. A wave of fasinaction in all things outer-space swept the German Empire and Europe, and later spread to the United States.
The American Rocket Agency launched it’s first satleite from the new launch site at Cape Canavral, Florida, on March 1, 1957. Americans were very proud of their Orbiter 1 Satelite, which broadcasted a loop of the Star Spangled Banner and In the Mood back down to Earth. In 1959, Alan Shepard became the first American into space, and only the 5th human being ever to do so. America’s space program was greatly assisted by the election of President Joseph Kennedy in 1956. He continued and increased the support that Rogers had given the American Rocket Agency, something that Eisenhower had been leery of doing.
- Williams, Dr. Hugo. Into Space. New York, New York: American Press Company, 1996.

PANAM TO START RECREATIONAL FLIGHTS IN THE CARRIBEAN[/cetner]
NEW YORK, The PanAm company has announced that they will be starting recreational cruise flights to the Carribean Islands this summer, with the launch of their newest ship, the Carribean Jewel. These cruises will sail from New Orleans to Havanna, where the ship will dock and allow the passengers to enjoy a day there. Then it’s on to Jamaica and then to the Bahammas before returning to New Orleans. These pleasure cruises will last about 10-12 days, and the cost will be in the hundreds of dollars per ticket.
-“PanAm to Start Recreational Flights in the Carribean,” Air Travel Magazine, January 1, 1957.

WAR IN CUBA!​
HAVANA, JAN 1- Communist revolutionaries led by Fidel Castro have risen up in rebellion agianst the Cuban government, and Cuban President Batista has fled the capital city. The rebels are attacking American-owned plantations and businesses around Havanna, which has become the heart of this revolt. Part of that distruction includes the bombing of the Carribean Jewel, PanAm’s recrational cruise ship that was launced less than two years ago. The Revolutionaries detonated the bomb early this morning, just after the ship arrived, and many of the passengers and crew were killed, although the exact numner remains unknown.
President Kennedy has ordered the Armed Forces on high alert, and is planning on declareing war on the Revolutionary government forming in Havana. The President declared, “while I am not fond of interveening in the affairs of other nations, this revolt in Cuba threatens the entire Carribean region, and could negatively affect the United States and therefore must be stopped.” The Navy has already started to blokade the island nation, and the Army Air Corp. has ordered all of it’s pilots to be ready for war.
-“War in Cuba,” The New York Times, January 1, 1959.

The Cuban War of 1959 was a very successful campaing for the United States, though there was a heavy loss of life for such a short conflict. Starting on January 3, the U.S. Army Air Corps began heavy bombardment of the city of Havana, and on January 6, troops landed at several points on the island. January 6 saw most of the casualties of the war, an estimated 1,500 servicemen died on the invasion beaches. Castro was confirmed dead from a bomb blast in Havana on January 8, and from there the revolution began to decintigrate. However, before Cuba was fully under American control, the revolutionaires did manage to kill President Batista on January 12. By the end of the month, the revolution was finished, and the Americans had a firm control over the Island.
Initially, there was talk of annexing the island, but President Kennedy rejected such proposals. The Federal Republic of Cuba was declared on March 10, 1959, and Juan Alejandro became Cuba’s new president. American forces would stay on the island until 1962, to ensure that the new government would be safe from any future attempts at revolution, and to ensure that Alejandro’s governmetn did not slip into a dictatorship like Batsista had operated.
-Maxwell, Dr. Samuel. A History of the United States. Norman, Oklahoma: University of Oklahoma Press, 1999.

My father and mother and I had been looking forward to this Carribean trip for over a year, My father had said it had been his dream to get to fly in an airship since he was a little boy. He and my mother had been saving for years, and this was to be our trip of a life time. We boarded the Spirit of 1776 in New York on Jun 9, 1962, and enjoyed the overnight flight to New Orleans. When we arrived, the staff from the Zeppelin treated us like any other passenger, and we disembarked and went to the hotel my father had pre-booked in the African Quarter of the city. However, the next day, when we went back to the Air Harbor, it was a different story.
The Taxi pulled up at the main entrance, and my father got out and helped my mother do the same. I helped the driver get our bags out of the trunk, and then we walked up to the main entrane of the Air Harbor Terminal. We walked up and prepared to enter, when the man at the door stopped us and said, “Sorry, you can’t come in here.” When we inquired as to why, the man rudely informed us that those of color weren’t allowed in the terminal. When my father stated that we had tickets, the man laughed and laughed and called my father a liar, and told us to “run along.” At that point my father had had enough, and tried to walk past the man and go on in. The man then grabbed my father and jerked him back, and when my father tried to break free of his grip, the security guard proceeded to punch my father.
At that point, I reacted the way I think any good son would. I punched the guard square in the jaw, and knocked him off his feet. Thinking back, I think the reason I was able to do this was because he didn’t see it coming. Otherwise I think he’d have come back and hit me instead. As it was, another guard saw what happened, and came over and tackled me. The New Orleans Police showed up soon after, and I was arrested.
-Clarkson, Thomas. The New Orleans Incident. New York, New York: American Press Company, 1977.

PANAM DECRIES RACIST OFFICIALS IN BIG EASY​
NEW YORK, JUNE 11- Officials from PanAm have decried the actions of police officials in New Orleans, who arrested a negro boy at the New Orleans Air Harbor on June 10. The boy, Thomas Clarkson, punched a security guard at the Air Harbor after the man assulted the boy’s father, Samuel Clarkson, a negro business owner from New York. The guard was refusing the Clarkson family entrance to the air harbor terminal, even though the Clarksons had tickets to board the Spirit of the Carribean.
PanAm has offered to pay for the Thosmas Clarckson’s bail money and for any court costs, and has offered one of their lawyers to help in the case. In addition, the airline is demanding that the officials at the New Orleans Air Harbor issue an appology to the Clarkson family. None has been forthcoming as of yet.
-“PanAm Decries Racist Officials in Big Easy,” The New York Times, June 11, 1962

PANAM TO PULL NEW ORLEANS SERVICE​
NEW ORLEANS, JULY 1- The officials at the New Orleans Air Harbor refused to appologize to the Clarkson family for their treatment last month, and the officials in the Big Easy went so far as to say the Clarksons are petty criminals and liars. Because of this, PanAm today announced that they would be pulling all service to New Orleans, and went on to state that the company would not operate at ANY Air Harbor that discriminated against passengers based on race. The Air Harbors in Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta have all anounced that they will comply with PanAm’s new policy.
In New Orleans, the PanAm offices were vandalized by a group claiming to belong to the KKK. City officials say they are also seeking possible jail time for Thomas Clarkson. However, the Clarkson family are now on board the Spirit of Havana, paid for by PanAm, and will be returning to Dallas and then New York. Officials in Albany have stated that the Clarkson’s will be safe back in New York, and that the state government will not honor any extradition requests concearning the Clarksons.
-“PanAm to Pull New Orleans Service,” The New York Times, July 2, 1962.​

nice update. So is this Clarkson going to become Rosa Parks? or is this just the start of race relations issues in the US?

Edit: what does Joe Jr. have to say about this? I don't know where he stood on these things.

btw, what is happening to the rest of Kennedys'? are they using the Mass. US Senate seat as a stepping stone? so is JFK in it, and keeping it warm for Bobby or playboy Ted?

nice update. So is this Clarkson going to become Rosa Parks? or is this just the start of race relations issues in the US?

Edit: what does Joe Jr. have to say about this? I don't know where he stood on these things.

btw, what is happening to the rest of Kennedys'? are they using the Mass. US Senate seat as a stepping stone? so is JFK in it, and keeping it warm for Bobby or playboy Ted?

Yeah, Clarkson will sort of be a Rosa Parks, but not quite...the "Racial Equality Movement" will get a lift from this incident and PanAm's stance on racial equality (maybe a loan of an airship for a rally or two :) ) But there will probably be another who will be equally as famous as Clarkson.

As for Joe Jr. ........I'm not sure yet. I'd like to put him on the pro RE side, but not for sure yet.
As for JFK....he died in 1946 during the GPW. So Bobby will be the Honorable Senator from MA.

Nice update!

Q1.1: Is that Joe Kenedy sr or jr as POTUS? If the former, what happened to Joe jr ITTL?

Well, my knowledge of the kennedys is only so so. According to wikipedia, Joe Jr. was born in 1952....so at the moment, he's like 4.
Joe Sr. Is the next POTUS. Oh btw, need a VP suggestion for Kennedy...cause that guy us going to become President after JPK's stoke in (I think) 1961.

O, wanted to run this by you guys. My plan is for the British Empire to reorganize into the British Imperial Commonwealth. The Inperial Dominions of the UK, India, S. Africa, and Australia (along with other smaller dominions) would be made equal and all members of the commonwealth, and would send representatives to the Imperial Parliament, which is headed by a Prime Minister. The Commonwealth uses a common currency, a common foreign policy (though member states can operate somewhat independently), and a common military (augmenteb by locally contolled "national guard-esque" units.
My goal is to keep the empire together much more than in OTL but not to the point of ASB. If anyone has a better suggestion please speak up.

I think you should consider scaling down your plans for the British Empire/Commonwealth. An "Imperial Parliament" sounds too ASBish. Ditto for a common currency (though IRC the Australian & New Zealand pounds were kept 1:1 with pound sterling). Canada is going to lean more toward the US than the UK. What you can do is have the Empire/Commonwealth remain close economically (while "the Continent" unites in a German-led common market). Free movement of goods & people (rather like the EU).

You could have more countries keeping the monarch as head of state instead of becoming republics (though Ireland, India, & Pakistan would probally still abolish the monarchy). As in OTL republics could stay in the Commonwealth as long as they recognize the British monarch as it's head. Have a "Commonwealth Council" (one vote per member government) to run things between Heads of Government Meetings and a Secretary-General to be the administrative head. Larger dominions would have their own militaries, but work closely with the British military (think NATO).

BTW, PanAm pulling service from New Orleans Air Harbor is going to shut it down completely. PanAm is the only US airline flying airships (government airships would use naval facilities) and foreign service seems unlikely. If it's like OTL airports than it's probally owned & operated by the State of Louisiana and/or Orleans Parish. Even with federal grants it've cost alot of money to build and alot to maintain. And now it's sitting empty. This would also explain why the other southern air harbors would be so quick to comply with PanAm's policy in spite of local custom.

Well, my knowledge of the kennedys is only so so. According to wikipedia, Joe Jr. was born in 1952....so at the moment, he's like 4.
Joe Sr. Is the next POTUS. Oh btw, need a VP suggestion for Kennedy...cause that guy us going to become President after JPK's stoke in (I think) 1961.

I was specifically talking about Joseph P. Kennedy, jr., eldest of the Kennedy Bros., killed OTL in a bomber explosion in Europe. ATL he's probably still alive unless he died in the GPW like John. He was also the Chosen Son...when he died John took up that title.

But since you didn't know he existed and since Pres. Joe is due for a coronary I'll assume you meant Joe Sr. ;)

O, wanted to run this by you guys. My plan is for the British Empire to reorganize into the British Imperial Commonwealth. The Inperial Dominions of the UK, India, S. Africa, and Australia (along with other smaller dominions) would be made equal and all members of the commonwealth, and would send representatives to the Imperial Parliament, which is headed by a Prime Minister. The Commonwealth uses a common currency, a common foreign policy (though member states can operate somewhat independently), and a common military (augmenteb by locally contolled "national guard-esque" units.
My goal is to keep the empire together much more than in OTL but not to the point of ASB. If anyone has a better suggestion please speak up.

Alphaboi's answer to this sounds great to me. I'll defer to him.

I think you should consider scaling down your plans for the British Empire/Commonwealth. An "Imperial Parliament" sounds too ASBish. Ditto for a common currency (though IRC the Australian & New Zealand pounds were kept 1:1 with pound sterling). Canada is going to lean more toward the US than the UK. What you can do is have the Empire/Commonwealth remain close economically (while "the Continent" unites in a German-led common market). Free movement of goods & people (rather like the EU).

You could have more countries keeping the monarch as head of state instead of becoming republics (though Ireland, India, & Pakistan would probally still abolish the monarchy). As in OTL republics could stay in the Commonwealth as long as they recognize the British monarch as it's head. Have a "Commonwealth Council" (one vote per member government) to run things between Heads of Government Meetings and a Secretary-General to be the administrative head. Larger dominions would have their own militaries, but work closely with the British military (think NATO).

BTW, PanAm pulling service from New Orleans Air Harbor is going to shut it down completely. PanAm is the only US airline flying airships (government airships would use naval facilities) and foreign service seems unlikely. If it's like OTL airports than it's probally owned & operated by the State of Louisiana and/or Orleans Parish. Even with federal grants it've cost alot of money to build and alot to maintain. And now it's sitting empty. This would also explain why the other southern air harbors would be so quick to comply with PanAm's policy in spite of local custom.

Thank you for you're input here. I'd really love to keep the Empire even closer, but I think anymore than what you've suggested falls into the ASB category. Maybe overtime...but even then it's doubtful. I do think Australia would stay closer than OTL, since there was no WWII to make it look more toward the US, and since far more British troops came to the area during the GPW (and I would expect some of them would like to return).

And yeah PanAm has a lot of power over the Air Harbors, because if they pull service (even from an international harbor) there's no way the air harbor can make it, since the international service probably wouldn't stay long. So attempts as airship segregation will be short-lived.

I was specifically talking about Joseph P. Kennedy, jr., eldest of the Kennedy Bros., killed OTL in a bomber explosion in Europe. ATL he's probably still alive unless he died in the GPW like John. He was also the Chosen Son...when he died John took up that title.

But since you didn't know he existed and since Pres. Joe is due for a coronary I'll assume you meant Joe Sr. ;)

Ah thanks. Hmm, according to wikipedia, Joe Jr. was a Navy pilot OTL.....ITTL he could be a scout pilot for an airship :D
Have a distinguished service record, and then enter politics in the 50s...which would probably make HIM the Honorable Senator from MA, not Bobby.