WI Napoleon King of the Helenes?

So--- Napoleon gets sprung from St Helena by a fast moving small flottilla of vessels. The British Frigate on station gives chase, but is outgunned, and has to break of. The frigate follows the flottilla at a safe distance,and gets word to the admiralty that Bonaparte has escaped, and has raced through the eastern Medditeranian.

The flottilla does not fly any nations flags.

News of Bonaparts eventual landing in Ragusa has the Austro Hungarians blazing with anger - How dare he? They prepare to send a force to arrest him.

It becomes apparent that the few men with him are being swelled in numbers by adventurers and romantics. A small force of Christian fighters meets him, and he is whisked off into the hills. Already his numbers exceed several thousand.

Keats, Shelley and Byron are with him, as are several prominent French ex military men.

A force of Royal Marines and regular troops are landed with the aim of snatching him back. they run into the local Ottoman War Lord, and in the resulting action, are saved only by the timely arrival of Bonapart and his small army of adventureres and Greek christians.

The British get back to the ships without Bonapart and with the news that Bonapart has a new cause to fight for - Greek Independance!

Men and material are landed daily and march to join Bonapart. Featuring largely are the grumblers from the Old Guard Regiments, eager to serve the Emperor once more. The trickle becomes a torrent, not just French, but Christian adventurers from all nationallities join the Greek cause. With such a leader -how can they loose?

Interesting. The fact that anonymous benefactors managed to steal Napoleon from the most isolated prison in the world is a little troubling for British pride, but I'll roll with it. My immediate tendency is, however, to say that a huge Austrian army would march straight into Greece to slaughter Napoleon's army and probably execute him (for he has now escaped legitimate prison twice and can no longer be believed pacified so long as he is alive) and that the Turks will not complain since the Austrians are actually eliminating a rebel leader, but we'll see.

Did you make this thread to start a TL or to look for feedback on a POD?

Vive L'Empereur du le Megalo Idea ?

What an interesting idea - buit frankly they'd have been better off with Wellington, who knew how to make foreign irregulars into a powerful army.

Still, maybe the Royal Palace at Poros (now a Greek Naval Academy) could have been the Emperor's last stand...

...Would Greece's flag have been a blue tricolor?

Its a great Idea for a Timeline, but will anyone except the Greeks ( who at that time will accept help from the devil itself ) and the French trust old Napoleon enough? ... not really sure of that

Interesting. The fact that anonymous benefactors managed to steal Napoleon from the most isolated prison in the world is a little troubling for British pride, but I'll roll with it. My immediate tendency is, however, to say that a huge Austrian army would march straight into Greece to slaughter Napoleon's army and probably execute him (for he has now escaped legitimate prison twice and can no longer be believed pacified so long as he is alive) and that the Turks will not complain since the Austrians are actually eliminating a rebel leader, but we'll see.

Did you make this thread to start a TL or to look for feedback on a POD?

I very much doubt that the Austrians would move an army into a sovereign states territory. No matter what the cause, as it will lead to war with the Ottomans. They were an unstable entity, and the local war lords paid lip service to the Ottoman rule. Moving a force through their territory will cause some big ripples.

Napoleon will find plenty of allies in the region, not just Greek Christians, but also the Serb rebels to the north (my enemies enemy is my freind sort of thing)

The Ottomans will have to negotiate with the local lords to ensure that they are "on side". It would be tempting for the local lords to declare for Napoleon in return for their "new kingdom" comming into being next to, and north of any greek state.

The Brits could attempt a snatch if they were close enough behind, but as the intro said, they risk a clash with the locals.

I wrote this as a POD for discussion, but am tempted to write a full thread!

What an interesting idea - buit frankly they'd have been better off with Wellington, who knew how to make foreign irregulars into a powerful army.

Still, maybe the Royal Palace at Poros (now a Greek Naval Academy) could have been the Emperor's last stand...

...Would Greece's flag have been a blue tricolor?

Who is to say he will not end up in the theatre? Against or forced to fight with boney?

I would have thought a Greek flag would be a white background with a blue cross? (and bees and N's and stuff!)

Its a great Idea for a Timeline, but will anyone except the Greeks ( who at that time will accept help from the devil itself ) and the French trust old Napoleon enough? ... not really sure of that

I will have to work this through with some research! I would have thought American and British adventurers (nutters) Italians and Poles (Romantic nationalists) (more nutters) and a plethora of demobed men with no future, from all over europe! (skint nutters!)

I think it could be quite an interesting one

Oh no --- more research! My wife goes mad at me as I allready have "too many bloody books, it's like a library, do you need so many bloody books, it's not like they are interesting, where are you going to put that lot you just bought, do you read them, lets ebay a couple of boxes, just think what I could do with all that room, you could build me another wardrobe for my bags and shoes, what, more books, bloody ell"

Been there, seen it, bought the t-shirt *sob*...

BTW, got some good SF paperbacks in good condition if you're interested in buying <sincere evil leer:evilsmile:

Oh no --- more research! My wife goes mad at me as I allready have "too many bloody books, it's like a library, do you need so many bloody books, it's not like they are interesting, where are you going to put that lot you just bought, do you read them, lets ebay a couple of boxes, just think what I could do with all that room, you could build me another wardrobe for my bags and shoes, what, more books, bloody ell"

When my wife complains about my books or movies, I just mention her extensive collection of shoes...

1. I think Hapsburg did a mini TL on this once actually.
2. Austria-Hungary didn't exist during Napoleon's lifetime.
3. I'm inclined to agree with Falastur, the Austrians send the army in and kill Napoleon or bitch until the British do it themselves.

Lets see what happens!

May 1817, Boston harbour, Maine, United States of America.

The figure of Thomas Cochrane, 10th Earl of Dundonald, was seen boarding the privateer “Fair Wind”. The vessel let slip it’s moorings and sailed out towards the open sea. The “Fair Wind” was lying very low in the water, some wag was heard to comment that it must be full of the gold Cochrane had swindled from the London Stock Exchange! Little did anyone suspect it was carrying twenty four carronades to each of it’s broadsides.

The “Fair Wind” was joined in mid channel by the schooner “The View Halloo”, also notable for it’s low stance, it too was armed to the teeth, but with no weapons on show for the time being.

Both vessels made way to the Island of Cuba, where they rendezvoused with a frigate, recently decommissioned from the Spanish navy, and two further schooners. After several days waiting for a fair wind, the vessels sailed northeast on the trade winds. None knew their business, none their destination.

A ketch from the Royal Navy, spied the small fleet, and sent news to the station Admiral of the existence of the vessels, and their bearing. A frigate was sent to intercept the flotilla, but was unable to find them and returned to port.

Half way across the Atlantic, and in the midst of a mild storm, Cochrane had turned his vessels, describing a great arc, to end on a course for the Atlantic coast of Africa. He had managed to evade the eye’s of his previous Lord’s, and was set to begin a great adventure, nothing less than the release of Napoleon Bonapart, The Corsican Ogre!

From various ports in South and North America, other vessels sailed with a cargo of passengers, mostly desperate men, all aware of the wage they would earn would be hard won, none able to say for what their riches would be paid. All oblivious to their destination, all oblivious to whom was their paymaster. All they could say is they were paid and paid well, and armed, to the teeth!

From Stralsund in Pommerania, sailed several vessels laden with excellent cavalry mounts. From Liverpool in England, sailed a swift vessel with the countries notable young lions, poets and adventurers. Of all the vessels that sailed, only the English one was declared to be on it’s way to Italy. This to “dupe” the watchful eye’s of the revenue men, who would have reported the vessel to the Royal Navy, had they known of it’s true destination.

And from Brest, if France, sailed several vessels laden with the old soldiers of Napoleons campaigns, said to be making a new home in the Americas. The hold of the vessels cried a different story, as the uniforms and arms of the men were stowed below. All were told they would be meeting an old comrade in arms, and speculation was rife on board as to which Marshal or General was their benefactor.

During one particularly squally night, a 74 gun ship of His Majesties Navy was riding out the storm close to the small harbour at St Helena. It’s accompanying frigates had manoeuvred further out to sea, to evade the worst of the storm. A great commotion was heard on board as five armed vessels suddenly appeared out of the storms gloom and demanded the 74’s surrender. The Captain and Officers were taken and locked in their quarters, whilst the crew were ordered to sail out to sea away from the Island, and on a course for Gibraltar. Armed men from the five vessels patrolled the 74’s decks, and the crew acquiesced with the demands of the “pirates”. They were led to believe that they would be surrendered to the Royal Naval squadron at that place.

Meanwhile, Cochrane quickly moved to secure his new passengers on board his vessels, over two hundred men and their belongings, and the Emperor!

Napoleon is the worst possible person to fight in the Greek Revolt, and his very presence would cost the Greeks the support that really mattered - British and Russian - which powers would back the Ottomans rather than see Napoleon as King of Greece.

You also can't really advance the revolt, as it was premature already, and there won't be any time for planning and preparation. Napoleon is at the year of his OTL death - which even if you butterfly that away leaves him too old and worn out to deal with the primitive and pestilential conditions he'll have to endure.

A lot of your romantic adventurers are going to be faced with what Byron was - disillusionment that the Greeks of his school-boy imaginings were 2,000 years gone.

As for the rest of the Balkan Christians, Muslims comprise, outside the Morea, Principalities, and Serbia, nearly half the population - the half with control over the military and government. Without foreign support, the rebels have no chance, Napoleon or not.

And there is no change any warlords will join him - they are all aware of the fate of Muslims in breakaway Christian states: the first thing the Greek rebels did was massacre the entire Muslim population of the Morea.

Last edited:
Napoleon is the worst possible person to fight in the Greek Revolt, and his very presence would cost the Greeks the support that really mattered - British and Russian - which powers would back the Ottomans rather than see Napoleon as King of Greece.

You also can't really advance the revolt, as it was premature already, and there won't be any time for planning and preparation. Napoleon is at the year of his OTL death - which even if you butterfly that away leaves him too old and worn out to deal with the primitive and pestilential conditions he'll have to endure.

A lot of your romantic adventurers are going to be faced with what Byron was - disillusionment that the Greeks of his school-boy imaginings were 2,000 years gone.

As for the rest of the Balkan Christians, Muslims comprise, outside the Morea, Principalities, and Serbia, nearly half the population - the half with control over the military and government. Without foreign support, the rebels have no chance, Napoleon or not.

And there is no change any warlords will join him - they are all aware of the fate of Muslims in breakaway Christian states: the first thing the Greek rebels did was massacre the entire Muslim population of the Morea.

What? Apollo dead? By Zeus, when did that happen? Didn't see that one in the Times!

I know it is an uphill struggle, and I never said it would work. The intention is to explore the best way to go about such an undertaking. Boney's mob need allies. But who? They need cash, where from? they need European regular soldiers, and possibly a naval link.
All are damned near impossible to achieve without the conivence of a MAJOR player in the theatre. But who would have the best reason to support Greek independance?

Thomas Cochrane eh? Good choice of liberator :D The best!

I like it - it's a good start, Abdul certainly knows his stuff around the Ottomans so if he says it can't happen work with him on a way to make it plausible?

I really like the start though, ill keep watching this.

instead of Elba

Maybe, instead escaping fron st.Helen in 1815, he could be rightfully installed there in 1814 by Wien Congress (instead of Elba which was considered too near to France).
Some compensation to the Ottomans (which were almost bankrupt with debts, and would be happy to renounce to some land to have them cancelled).
Overall approvall of western Europe, which simpatyzed with the cause of greek independence.
Approval of Austria, which hope to get greece in its area of influence (Napoleno was son-in-law of the Emperor).
Approval of Russia (greece woul obviously be an christian ortodox state).
Approval of monarchical France (greece is half-Europe far)
Obviously that would be a very reduced of greece, perhaps only peloponnesus.