America the Fallen 2.0, My first timeline(rewritten)

This is all for the rewrite of my first timeline, America the Fallen. I don't have this rewrite finished yet, but I plan to get it up sometime in the next two weeks, after midterms are over.

For those of you who didn't see the original here is a link https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=131827

The best way to describe it is a balkanization of America. I decided to rewrite it because there were many issues that I didn't look into initially. This new version will dealve deeper into issues such as indian affairs, slavery, Vermonters, Kentuckians, Europe, and Asia.

If there are any questions, or anyone has ideas, or concerns, feel free to share them with me.

Last edited:
For those who may be curious, I've compiled a list of historical figures from OTL who will appear in this timeline, just not neccesarilly in the same role.

Andrew Jackson
Abraham Lincoln
David Crocket
Sam Houstan
John Q. Adams
Thomas Jefferson
James Madison
John Adams
Aaron Burr
Benedict Arnold ?
Ethan Allan
Robert E. Lee
Nat Turner
Stephen H. Austin
Alexander Hamilton
John C. Calhoun
Techumsah

I will be expanding on this list.

Last edited:
Glad to hear your rewrite is proceeding. I have been working on rewriting a project of my own on another site, and while often difficult it is quite satisfying.

I see you are going to give the Frontier more attention.

My only real advice is that the Europeans will treat a rabble of Republics differently than they did the Union. Trade is the most obvious, but you can expect the British and Spanish to be attempting to protect and further their own interests by influencing the Blance of power in North America.

As for your list I recomend you add Aaron Burr. Perhaps Benedict Arnold could play a part? He was a Vermonter if I recall correctly, perhaps he could innvolve himself in your revised Vermont conflicts?

Glad to see this timeline starting up again. This concept of a Disunited America and the varying takes individual states have on republicanism is very intriguing.

Glad to hear your rewrite is proceeding. I have been working on rewriting a project of my own on another site, and while often difficult it is quite satisfying.

I see you are going to give the Frontier more attention.

My only real advice is that the Europeans will treat a rabble of Republics differently than they did the Union. Trade is the most obvious, but you can expect the British and Spanish to be attempting to protect and further their own interests by influencing the Blance of power in North America.

As for your list I recomend you add Aaron Burr. Perhaps Benedict Arnold could play a part? He was a Vermonter if I recall correctly, perhaps he could innvolve himself in your revised Vermont conflicts?

The Europeans will treat these republics differently then the United States was.

I have put Benedict Arnold on the list, but with a question mark. I don't think he will be involved. Benedict Arnold after the ARW moved to England and had a failed attempt at business. Nobody liked him after he betrayed the U.S. No State would ever let him be there, and the British weren't too fond of him either.

Also, Arnold was not a Vermonter, he was born and raised in Connecticut.

Oops. I read he was innvoloved with the GMB, and assumed he was from the area, or at least a settler. My mistake, sorry.

Oh and how about Osceola?

Arnold was involved with the GMB in taking fort Ticonderoga, but he was given no credit for it.

I'm not sure about Osceola. I'm trying not to have anyone born in the America's after 1815 appear. Osceola was born in 1804. I could use her. There are going to be some interesting developments with Florida that she could play a role.

For those who may be curious, I've compiled a list of historical figures from OTL who will appear in this timeline, just not neccesarilly in the same role.

Andrew Jackson
Abraham Lincoln
David Crocket
Sam Houstan
John Q. Adams
Thomas Jefferson
James Madison
John Adams
Aaron Burr
Benedict Arnold ?
Ethan Allan
Robert E. Lee
Nat Turner
Stephen H. Austin
Alexander Hamilton
John C. Calhoun
Techumsah

I will be expanding on this list.

I would like to suggest Sequoyah as well, and perhaps a wider use/application of his Cherokee Syllabary.

Arnold was involved with the GMB in taking fort Ticonderoga, but he was given no credit for it.

I'm not sure about Osceola. I'm trying not to have anyone born in the America's after 1815 appear. Osceola was born in 1804. I could use her. There are going to be some interesting developments with Florida that she could play a role.

Osceola was a he - born w/the name Billy Powell actually.

America the Fallen
A timeline

By Grant Hurst(IchBinDieKaiser)

"I've lived, Sir, a long time, and the longer I live, the more convincing Proofs I see of this Truth — That God governs in the Affairs of Men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his Notice, is it probable that an Empire can rise without his Aid? We have been assured, Sir, in the Sacred Writings, that except the Lord build the House they labor in vain who build it. I firmly believe this, — and I also believe that without his concurring Aid, we shall succeed in this political Building no better than the Builders of Babel."

-Benjamin Franklin, Speech to the Constitutional Convention
Chapter One: Failure at Philadelphia
Many issues decay away at this young nation. Issues that have been festering since the Revolution. The northern states are still suffering from debt from the war, while slavery still runs rampant in the south. The British have not yet withdrawn from the northwest territory, failing to uphold their end of the Treaty of Paris. The "central" government holds little power. They can not tax, declare war, or conscript. The several states often ignore the decisions made by the Congress of the Confederation. The "central" government is heavily in debt to foreign nations, with no way of acquiring funds except donations from the states. Each state is looking out for their own interests at the cost of the unity of the confederation. This state of affairs can not hold.

May 25th, 1787. Delegates from the thirteen states congregate in Philadelphia, the birthplace of their fledgling nation. 55 men are unknowingly deciding the fate of their country, the continent, and the world. Some seek to revise and reform the government they have. However, the current government under the Articles of Confederation have proven that mere revisions will not suffice. The only course of action that could settle this was an entirely new constitution.

Many famous names were present at this convention such as James Madison, Alexander Hamilton, and Patrick Henry [1]. Other great names had been requested to join by their states, but turned down the offers. George Washington was requested to join the Virginia delegation but declined, stating that he when he resigned his position as commander and chief, he meant to stay out of Public life for good [2]. Benjamin Franklin decided not to go, citing reasons of failing health [3]. John Adams and Thomas Jefferson could not attend the convention because they were over seas, representing the United States in the courts of Europe.

They assembled in the Pennsylvania Sate House, were the Declaration of Independence had been signed just eleven years earlier. The windows of the State House were boarded shut, armed guards stand at every entrance, and soldiers patrol around the inside and outside of the building. This meeting was made in secrecy. No one outside of the convention could see or hear of what they are doing, not even the soldiers were told. If news that a handful of men were dramatically changing the government was leaked, it could cause panic in the streets and possible revolts.

Within the convention the Delegates were divided into two main camps, the Federalists, and the Anti-Federalists. The Federalists were led by Alexander Hamilton and James Madison, while the Anti-Federalists were led by Patrick Henry and George Mason. The Federalists wanted a strong central government, while the anti-federalists wanted a weak central government.

The Federalists were a menagerie of different ideas and interests such as: Federalism, nationalism, industrialization, non-interventionism, pro-government, pro British. They desire a strong central government that can hold a this vast nation together. They were geographically focused in the north.

Just as the federalist ,the Anti-Federalists were also a menagerie of different interests as well: agrarianism, isolationism, states rights, pro-French, and abolitionism. They desired America to be a nation of yeoman farmers who kept to themselves and their communities. They were geographically focused in the south.

The convention began with a tough decision that had nothing to do with the constitution it self… who would lead the convention? It was thought that George Washington would be serve as the President of the Convention. However, with his refusal to attend, the choice was not so easy. There were 3 contenders aiming for the position: Alexander Hamilton, Charles Cotesworth Pinckney, and Edmund Randolph. Each were quite popular in the state they were representing.

The delegates would vote, and whoever got the most states would be the president of the convention. Charles Cotesworth Pinckney won the states of South Carolina, Georgia, and Delaware. Edmund Randolph won the states of Virginia, Maryland, and North Carolina. Alexander Hamilton won the States of New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Connecticut, and Massachusetts. The delegates from New Hampshire could not agree on a candidate, so their vote was abstained. Alexander Hamilton with 5 states would serve as the President of the Convention. After the debates and votes over who should serve as convention president, the convention convened with official business on June 2nd.

There was bitterness between the delegates of the southern states, each blaming each other for letting Hamilton win. Regardless of these feelings, delegates begin with their suggestions. James Madison was chosen by Hamilton to be the secretary of the convention. He was charged with writing down the debates of the convention word for word, and record times and dates. Since.

The Federalists struck first with a plan developed by James Madison. Since Madison was busy with secretarial work, Edmund Randolph presented Madison’s idea, which became known as the "Virginia Plan". It planned for a 3 branch government, with a legislative, executive, and judicial branch. The legislature would be bicameral, each house consisting of representatives from the states. Each House in the legislature would give apportion representatives according to population. This plan was well received by larger states with greater population, but the smaller states protested that it gave far too much power to the larger states. Ultimately, this plan was rejected.

Other Federalists struck back at their own with the New Jersey plan. This would still strengthen the central government but leave the smaller, less populous states with as much power as larger states.

It was quickly shown that the federalists all came to completely replace the Articles of Confederation with a new constitution. The Anti-Federalists however were still trying to keep the Articles, and simply improve them.

George Wythe, despite leaning toward the federalists, offered a solution to the problems of the Articles. It was found that despite all the different facets of the many plans that were rejected, one common thing was agreed upon. Wythe drew up a plan for a national legislature that could be simply added to the current constitution, instead of trashing it completely and starting anew. This plan was heavily supported by the Federalists, but was not passed. The Federalists were ardently decided that a new constitution is unavoidable, as well as some of the anti-federalists.

The biggest complaint of the anti-federalists is that none of these proposed constitutions had a bill of rights in them. They made an argument relating to their history, using the English Bill of Rights as an example. They made the argument that the former colonists were supposed to have been protected by the English Bill of Rights but weren’t. A government that was obligated to protect their rights didn’t do so. If that was the case, then a government with no obligation to protect your rights will do absolutely nothing.

The Federalists countered this argument stating that to make a bill of rights would increase government tyranny. It would be a list of things the government couldn’t do. So the government would only not do the things on the list, and then do anything else imaginable.

The issues of slavery were complex as well. Though most of the Virginian delegates thought of slavery as immoral, they still practiced the ownership of Africans for forced labor. The Carolina’s and Georgia allied together to prevent the northern manufacturing based economies from trying to stop the slave trade, a market that was very lucrative for them, being the only states that still allowed it.

By September 7th they had a document that the convention would vote on. The fifty-five delegates voted. To pass this document, they needed three fourths of the states to agree. Rhode Island refused to send delegates, so they only need 9 of the 12 voting states to approve this legislation. Each state had one vote that would be decided by the delegates of the state.

Virginia’s vote came in first with a resounding no. Only John Blair and James Madison of Virginia would vote in favor of this new constitution.

Pennsylvania voted yes, with all but 1 of their delegates agreeing.

Despite the measures of anti-slavery in this constitution, South Carolina still voted yes on the new government.

New York nearly abstained from voting, but the two anti-federalist delegates of New York, Robert Yates, and John Lansing Jr., were convinced to stay and vote no due to persuasion from Patrick Henry and George Mason of Virginia. Despite the Federalist leader and president of the convention Alexander Hamilton, representing New York, his state would vote No on the constitution.

Next came North Carolina, who’s votes were very close. Richard D. Spaight and Hugh Williamson both voted yes, while William R. Davie, and Alexander Martin, a federalist, voted no. This left the states decision up to William Blount, a known advocate of states rights, who also had a desire for a stronger central government. He was eventually worn down, and decided to vote no in the convention.

Maryland was a close call as well. Being the middle colony, the bridge between North and South, it’s opinion was too desired. It ended with a 3 to 2 vote in favor of the constitution, with Luther Martin and John F. Mercer voting against.

When Massachusetts was to vote, their four delegates were deadlocked in a 2 to 2 tie. This resulted in Massachusetts abstaining its vote

New Hampshire voted yes unanimously, as did Delaware and Connecticut.

The deciding vote came down to Georgia. One vote for either side would either pass this draft of the constitution or fail it. Georgia had 4 delegates, two of them, William Houston and William Pierce voted no, while the third delegate John Dickinson voted yes, it was up to Abraham Baldwin, the Georgian delegate from Connecticut.

If he voted yes, it would lead to an abstention of Georgia’s vote, passing the constitution. If he voted no, it would fail the constitution, and most likely the convention. It wasn’t until September 12 that Baldwin made his decision. He, against his nature and his home state, voted no. This led to the vote being 7 in favor, and 4 against, with 1 abstaining.

The constitution did not pass, and the convention failed. Alexander Hamilton called for another convention to be held in New York in November, but it was too late. The most important state, Virginia, refused to attend the convention. The New York convention began in February of 1788, but only delegates from Massachusetts, New York, Connecticut, and Delaware attended. That meeting was called to a close after 2 days.

The constitutional convention has failed, and there seems to be no foreseeable light at the end of this tunnel. The problems of the United States are mounting. Can they hang together, or will they all hang separately?

-----------------------------------------
[1] IOTL Patrick Henry was asked to attend, but refused to.
[2] IOTL Washington felt obligated to attend, however he doesn't ITTL
[3] IOTL Franklin was quite ill and suffering from several medical problems, but still attened

Questions, Comments

Hope you like this rewritten version. Midterms are over for the most part, but now I have 2 research projects to do for Political Science and Speech, so I have no idea when the next chapter will be out.

Last edited:
Sorry I missed this.

It looks great so far. I see you went with a less dramatic approach this time. Hate to say it but I really have no great comments. I have to wait and see how the ripples develop.

Still best of luck with this relaunch.

Sorry I missed this.

It looks great so far. I see you went with a less dramatic approach this time. Hate to say it but I really have no great comments. I have to wait and see how the ripples develop.

Still best of luck with this relaunch.

Thanks. After going over the original begining several times and having a couple of my proffesors read it, I came to the conclusion that the break up of the United States wouldn't be so instantaneous. You will see the states start to break off in 1790.

Chapter Two: Ex unus , plures
Since the failure of the Convention in Philadelphia the previous year, the several states, in particular Virginia, began acting more independently then they were before, stopping short of entering into alliances with foreign nations. State legislatures were assuming more and more power over that of the Congress of the Confederation. The idea of secession is not openly talked about on the floor of the Virginia house of delegates, however it is a fiery topic between delegates and citizens in their private conversations.

Secession is also discussed in other states as well. In the Carolinas secession is more openly discussed then it is in Virginia. In South Carolina a vote to secede was almost held, but they did not meet quorum.

In the frontier, west of Virginia, the Kentuckians were seeking independence from Virginia. The Kentuckians felt that their livelihood was being restrained by the Governor of Virginia. The journey to the capital, Richmond, was a long and dangerous one. Also, offensive use of local militia against Indians required authorization from the Governor. Most importantly, they were barred from trading along the Mississippi river, a staple of the Kentuckian economy.

Another notable region that drove for independence was Vermont. The "Vermont Republic" has been governing itself de facto, despite de jure disputes over ownership of the grants. Both New York and New Hampshire claim the Grants, and neither seemed willing to give up claim of it. Thomas Chittenden was the de facto governor of the republic. Though they did cooperate with the United States government, they still claimed independence. Some, such as Ira Allen, wanted to break off all ties with the U.S., while others such as Moses Robinson wished to become closer with the United States, and become an independent state within the Confederation
Despite having retired from public life, George Washington occasionally corresponds with news papers in the states, and giving his opinion on national matters. Washington was the first to openly address the issue of secession in a correspondence with the Pennsylvania Gazette. He spoke of his hearing of the people and politicians discussing secession in nearby towns. His general tone about the subject was negative, saying things such as, "It is an abhorrent idea. To divide the nation after so many died for its independence, and so many strode for its unity. We must learn to be Americans instead of Virginians or Pennsylvanians or New Englanders."
The letters from Washington bought some time for the fledgling nation.

In the north there was desire for unity. Being so near to British Canada frightened many New Englanders. Many were afraid that a British attack was imminent. There are still politicians and activists in the north who want to unite the country under a new stronger constitution, but with the southern states, especially Virginia, refusing to attend any conventions in the foreseeable future, they are forced to look within New England for Unity.

Secession was not a commonly discussed topic in the Northern States, all except for New York of course. New Yorkers felt that they could survive very well on their own. Despite having a small coast line, they had a thriving shipping industry, as well as manufacturing.

Throughout the year of 1788 secession would be discussed on and off in most of the states. Virginia’s secessionist debates had been squashed by Washington’s words. It seemed that only the gentleman from Virginia kept this fragile nation together.

George Washington died in his home at Mount Vernon in May of 1789. It is believed that he died of a result of anthrax poisoning. There was a massive funeral in his honor. His toured from Mt. Vernon to Richmond, to Annapolis, to Philadelphia, and back to Mt. Vernon were he was finally put to rest. Most of the surviving officers who had served under him in the Revolution attended, as well as most of the delegates from the Congress of the Confederation.

The mourning, though sad, did not last long. By July the topic of secession was back in the General Assembly in Virginia. Secession could not be done without a formal piece of legislation. A committee was formed by the House of Delegates to discuss the issue of secession, and all secessionist legislation would have to pass through this committee. Theodorick Bland was placed as the head of this committee. They discussed the topic for two months before any actual legislation was passed before the committee.

The first piece of legislation presented to the committee was from John Taylor in September of 1789. He was a well known anti-federalist. His resolution called for the absolute secession of Virginia. This bill would be debated in the committee of secession for several months.

In March of 1790 a final draft of the resolution was presented to the House of Delegates. It proclaimed Virginia’s complete and absolute independence and sovereignty from the United States of America. It passed before the House of Delegates. It passed in a landslide, with less then 10 delegates voting against. The Senate was not as easily won. It was close, but secession was approved by the Senate as well.

The bill was signed into law by Governor Beverley Randolph on March 17th. When news of this left the state house there was cheering in the streets and the church bells were all ringing. Independence had been declared but the governor and the legislature knew that this wouldn’t go without a fight. The governor called for

Henry Lee III to meet him. Randolph informed Lee of the situation and both agreed that this action would most likely lead to a military confrontation with the United States. The next day Lee and Randolph addressed the General assembly and told them that an army would need to be made. It was agreed upon unanimously by all who attended (those who had voted against secession didn’t showing up). By April 10th an army of 1700 men was assembled under Henry Lee’s command, ready for the reaction of the United States.

----------------------------

Questions?
Comments?

I admit that some of the pieces of this chapter are a vague. This was a tough one to write considering that there wasn't any real major action till the end. But the next couple chapters are going to be a bit longer and less vague and general.

Good to see it continue.

Your right it is not exactoly riveting, but history does not just mve in great bold strokes. Often it is gradual erosion.

So the death of Washington sends the axe falling.

Virginia, you could not have a worse statre to leave. The union simply cannot allow Virginia to leave without a fight. It would divide tha nation in two and take one of the most affluemt and popu;lous territories in North America. And as such it will not be easily subdued.

The question is what kind of a fight can the CC put up? With memories of the revolution fresh will people accept a war to retain disloyal subjects? After all their Revolution was justified by the right to rebel if you felt the government was not pursuing your best interest.

So as I see it this war will see a string of defensive Viginian victories. The CC will either risk pushing the war with the states growing morec critical, or letting Richmond wlk and lose much of their credibility.

New England will likely pose a problem. New Hampshire and Newv York have Vermont to deal with and the Yankees are concerned about the Empire. So they are likely leery of senmding armies south leaving them vulberable to the North.

Yes, Virginia's fight will be mostly defensive. This war with Virginia will be a bigger cause of the disolvement of the united states then the failure of the convention.

"There is a Destiny which has the control of our actions, not to be resisted by the strongest efforts of Human Nature."- George Washington, 1758
Chapter Three: The Potomac War
News of Virginia’s secession reached the Congress of the Confederation by March 21st. They assembled and debate quickly ensued. The delegates from the New England states argued against going to war for Virginia, while the southern states argued that if Virginia is separates, more states soon will follow. Ultimately, by March 26th, they voted in favor of going to war over Virginia.

They called for an army of 2500 soldiers to be assembled to fight Virginia. Major General, Benjamin Lincoln, was chosen to lead this army. The army was not fully assembled until May 1st. Most of the soldiers in the army were pulled from Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, and Maryland. The army had 2000 infantrymen, 200 cavalry, and 50 artillery pieces manned by 300 artillerymen. When the army was put together they moved south , hoping that one blow would quickly defeat the Virginians… he would be wrong.

Lincolns army reached the northern end Frederick County, Maryland by May 9th. They encamped their while General Lincoln developed a plan of attack on Virginia. General Henry Lee would not be beat in speed. His army had crossed the Potomac river further south near Frederick’s Town on the 8th, and was keeping his army concealed in the woods. On May 11th Lee’s forces came out of hiding. They attacked without warning, gaining the element of surprise. The attack damaged the enemy resolve more then their actual army. At the end of the skirmish Lincoln held the field, but Lee showed that he was willing to attack without warning(contrary to his style in the revolution).

After the battle of Fredrick’s Town the two armies clashed again, this time near Log Town on May 18th. This battle was less decisive then the previous one, with both Lee and Lincoln retreating. Lincoln knew that in order to do a fatal blow to Virginia, he would need to win a victory on Virginian soil. He and his armies manage to cross the Potomac River near Loudon Heights. Lee had thought Lincoln would continue moving south until they could cross the river closer to Richmond.

Lincoln attacked Harper’s Ferry on May 27th. The local militia assembled to defend, but was not able to hold back Lincoln. News of this defeat reached Lee on June 2nd. Lee turned his army west and crossed the Potomac river. Lincoln may have gained a victory and put some distance between him and Lee, but his big mistake was when he moved from Harper’s Ferry into the Shenandoah Valley. Militias were called up through the entire region. They were ordered not to engage Lincoln correctly, but instead perform hit and run attacks. By June 20th Lincoln’s army could not drudge through the valley anymore, and headed back north toward Harper’s Ferry.

When Lincoln’s army finally reached Harper’s Ferry, they were met by Henry Lee. This began the 2nd Battle of Harper’s Ferry on July 13th. The battle began in the early afternoon, and by 4 pm Lincoln retreated north across the Potomac and back to Loudon Heights.

Lincoln has less then 2100 of his soldiers left. He’s lost all of his artillery and most of his cavalry, with the remaining casualties from the infantry. Out of Lee’s original 1700, just under 1600 remain. Along with the original troops, Lee has gained additional men from different militias they have passed by in Virginia, mostly riflemen. After the recruitment from militias, Lee’s force was just under 1900.

From this point on the war became a long series of river crossings and repulsions. This continued for several months. In October, the enlistment time for all the men ran out, and most went home back to their farms and families in time for a late harvest. Lincoln offered a pay bonus (which he didn’t have the power to do) to anyone who would stay. Just over 100 men stayed for the money, but by this point there wasn’t a large enough army to make it worth it. He went to Congress and told them that he needed to assemble a new army, but with fall already here, and the harvest season in full swing, they knew they would not likely get any volunteers. There was a proposition to conscript men into service, but many of the farmers (former soldiers) hadn’t been paid for their service in the revolution, and would not likely obey a draft order.

In November a peace delegation was sent to Virginia. They attempted to convince the heads of the Virginia government to rejoin the United States. They made several offers to Virginia: Ownership of the Potomac River, removing all debt from Virginia, and paying all the pensions of Virginia officers. These propositions were discussed by the Virginia legislature, which they voted against. The only option was complete independence and sovereignty.

In January of 1791, the United States and Virginia sent delegations to Annapolis, Maryland. Virginia sent 4 delegates: Richard Henry Lee, James Madison, Patrick Henry, and James Monroe. Representing the United States were Henry Knox, John Jay, and Benjamin Lincoln. The American delegation did not have a specific task to perform, they were merely instructed to get the best deal possible. The Virginia delegation had several objectives; Recognition of Independence and Sovereignty, annexation of the Potomac River, all the land south of the Ohio river and north of the 36.5 Parallel. Virginia had a list of other possible objectives, that if attainable without sacrificing the major goals, were to be acquired.

.They met on January 17th, in the state house of Maryland. Though most of them had met before, it was now as representatives of foreign nations. After 10 days of debate and negotiation, the Treaty of Annapolis, was signed on January 27th. The main provisions of the Annapolis Treaty were:
.The United States is to recognize the independence and sovereignty of the Common Wealth of Virginia.
.The Potomac River is considered territorial water of Virginia.
.The 36.5 parallel from the Atlantic coast to the Mississippi River would be the southern border of Virginia, and all land above it and below the Ohio river are recognized as Virginia territory.
.The traditional border lines of Virginia are to be the current borders of Virginia
.Virginia gives up claims in the Northwest Territory.
.U.S. merchants are allowed access to the Potomac River.
.The treaty was drafted and signed, and now had to be approved by both the Congress of the Confederation, and the Virginia Legislature. The Treaty reached the Virginia house of delegates and senate on February 7th. Both houses voted unanimously to approve them. However the Congress of the Confederation was not so interested in signing so soon.

In order for the treaty to be passed in the Congress of the Confederation, all states must approve. Maryland and North Carolina refused to vote yes on the treaty. This issue would continue to be debated in the Congress until there was a unanimous vote.

--------------------------
Comments

Questions

It's great, so far. I'd expect the other Southern states to be seceding soon, since they're cut off from the rest of the Union.