A Different Battle of Tuyuti

As the Forum's resident Paraguay fanatic (in addition to being the Official Maya Fanatic), I've been brainstorming ways to have Paraguay win the famous War of the Triple Alliance against Brazil, Argentina, and Uruguay some time after said treaty is found. And while I am sure there are better POD's than this, one thing that commonly comes up is the Battle of Tuyuti. It was the single biggest battle in South American history, and ended in a devastating Paraguayan defeat. I've often heard people say that a Paraguayan victory here is what is needed to win the war, but I am not completely sure, so I decided to post this to ask the experts.

Anyways, by the time of the titular battle, the Allies had encamped in a position resembling a 4,200 yard horseshoe, with 2 redoubts and many rifled cannons. The Paraguayan positions were protected by impenetrable jungle, trenches covering the passes, and some of the only passes were marshes that had depths ranging up to 6ft. The original plan by Lopez, president of Paraguay, was to wait for an Allied attack, hold them for as long as possible, and have a force of 10,000 men take a secret pass and hit the rear of the Allied forces.

This changed when Lopez heard the Allies were preparing an imminent attack, so he decided to conduct a preemptive one. His new plan was to have three columns assault the Allies in total. General Barrios, with 8,000 infantry and 1,000 cavalry in addition to some light artillery and rockets, was to attack the Allies' left flank, composing of Brazilians. Colonel Diaz was to assault and hold down their center, with 5,000 infantry and 4 howitzers at his command. And General Resquin, with 7,000 cavalry and 2,000 infantry, was to attack the Allied right composed of Argentinians, who IIRC were manning most of the Allied artillery. The idea was to have Resquin's forces group of just beyond Allied view before daybreak, Diaz was to the same, and Barrios, with the longest and hardest trip, was to hack through the jungle and be ready to fire a signal rocket at 9:00 in the morning. The plan was to have the cavalry on the flanks sweep around and meet up at the Allied rear, and destroy the Allied army entirely.

The plan ultimately failed mostly out of bad luck. The trip through the bush took Barrios longer than expected, and he was only ready to signal the start of the attack at 11:30. At this time, the Allies just happened to all already be under arms as General Mitre, leader of Argentina and head of the army, was preparing to make a reconnaissance in force on the Paraguayan positions. When the congreve rocket signaling the start of the attack was launched, they were seen by the enemy much quicker than expected and the Allies managed to get their defenses up in the nick of time. Thus the battle turned into a Latin-American Waterloo with a series of charges and counter-charges, and the Paraguayans still nearly won. But, by the end they had lost some 12,000 killed or wounded, including many or most of their best horses and men. The Allies also suffered greatly, so much so that they were completely unable to pursue the bloodied Paraguayans.

Now, the POD in this battle is pretty obvious. Have Barrios be a bit more lucky and make it to his position by the deadline of 9 o'clock. At this time, the Allies will still be rather groggy, unprepared, and not at all expecting an attack. So, would Resquin and Barrios be able to manage to break past the Allies, regroup at their rear, and then surround and destroy the entire Allied army as planned if this were the case? If so, can the war be won by the Paraguayans? After all, Brazil's best generals and Argentina's and Uruguay's leaders are either dead or captured, and a great portion the army they tried so hard to muster have been rounded up. In addition, in such a victory the Paraguayan losses are surely much less than OTL's, and considering their later OTL success, ITTL they have a much better chance at fighting off any reinforcements. One more question, what do you think are the prospective chances of the Paraguayans' first plans of defending then surrounding the Allied army?

The plan ultimately failed mostly out of bad luck. The trip through the bush took Barrios longer than expected, and he was only ready to signal the start of the attack at 11:30.

It only happened because Lopez didn't send anyone to recognize the field before sending Barrios. If they had knows how difficult the terrain was they could have improved their plans.

Now, the POD in this battle is pretty obvious. Have Barrios be a bit more lucky and make it to his position by the deadline of 9 o'clock. At this time, the Allies will still be rather groggy, unprepared, and not at all expecting an attack. So, would Resquin and Barrios be able to manage to break past the Allies, regroup at their rear, and then surround and destroy the entire Allied army as planned if this were the case?

I'm not sure. The Allies had superior numbers (32,000 Allied troops against 24,000 Paraguayans) and better artillery. The advantage of the Paraguayans was the cavalry (8,500 horses against 1,700). However, the great problem of the Paraguayan troops there was the lack of coordination in battlefield. There was no unified command to give orders during the battle, and when the soldiers started to disperse themselves in order to attack fleeing Allied soldiers the leaders didn't manage to coordinate them. Also, Lopez kept 6,000 soldiers as reserve when they were needed in the field. Resquín lacked infantry (he had almost only cavalry) and Marcó and Díaz lacked artillery. Of course, if Barrios had taken Potrero Piris then they would have a chance.

One more question, what do you think are the prospective chances of the Paraguayans' first plans of defending then surrounding the Allied army?

I think these plans were better, as in a defensive position the superior numbers of the Allies wouldn't matter. It's really difficult to understand why Lopez, after having preparing so much for a defensive fight, had wasted his best troops in a foolish attack. In Tuiuti 6,000 Paraguayans died and 7,000 were injured, while the Allies had 996 deaths and 2,935 injured.

If so, can the war be won by the Paraguayans? After all, Brazil's best generals and Argentina's and Uruguay's leaders are either dead or captured, and a great portion the army they tried so hard to muster have been rounded up. In addition, in such a victory the Paraguayan losses are surely much less than OTL's, and considering their later OTL success, ITTL they have a much better chance at fighting off any reinforcements.

Brazil would still have conditions to fight. Ok, Osório would be killed or captured, just as the Baron of Porto Alegre, but Caxias was still in Rio, and could be sent there with reinforcements. The problem would be Mitre and Flores. If they are lost (especially Mitre) then Argentina would face real serious problems. IOTL, when a rumour that Paraguay had won the battle in Tuyuti reached Entre-Rios many people actually celebrated it, because they disliked the policies of Mitre and his group. If Argentina is in turmoil and can't support Brazilian actions there then we would be in trouble.

Last edited:
Here a map of the Battle of Tuyuti (May 24th 1866):

mapa-tuyuti.jpg

maverick

Banned
Just for clarification, winning this battle will not win Paraguay this way anymore than Gettysburg or even Antietam will save the Confederacy.

Just for clarification, winning this battle will not win Paraguay this way anymore than Gettysburg or even Antietam will save the Confederacy.

Of course, but in Gettysburg and Antietam Lincoln wasn't there commanding the troops. That's why I think the most intriguing scenario would be Mitre being killed or captured in the battle.

maverick

Banned
Of course, but in Gettysburg and Antietam Lincoln wasn't there commanding the troops. That's why I think the most intriguing scenario would be Mitre being killed or captured in the battle.

Well, Marcos Paz is de facto president anyways, and this might or might not butterfly away the outbreak of Cholera that was brought by wounded veterans from Paraguay.

If Mitre is killed, then the Revolucion de los Colorados of 1867 might be somewhat more successful, especially if Paz panics or something, but Urquiza is still unlikely to support the rebel Federalists.

It only happened because Lopez didn't send anyone to recognize the field before sending Barrios. If they had knows how difficult the terrain was they could have improved their plans.

I'm not sure. The Allies had superior numbers (32,000 Allied troops against 24,000 Paraguayans) and better artillery. The advantage of the Paraguayans was the cavalry (8,500 horses against 1,700). However, the great problem of the Paraguayan troops there was the lack of coordination in battlefield. There was no unified command to give orders during the battle, and when the soldiers started to disperse themselves in order to attack fleeing Allied soldiers the leaders didn't manage to coordinate them. Also, Lopez kept 6,000 soldiers as reserve when they were needed in the field. Resquín lacked infantry (he had almost only cavalry) and Marcó and Díaz lacked artillery. Of course, if Barrios had taken Potrero Piris then they would have a chance.

I think these plans were better, as in a defensive position the superior numbers of the Allies wouldn't matter. It's really difficult to understand why Lopez, after having preparing so much for a defensive fight, had wasted his best troops in a foolish attack. In Tuiuti 6,000 Paraguayans died and 7,000 were injured, while the Allies had 996 deaths and 2,935 injured.

Brazil would still have conditions to fight. Ok, Osório would be killed or captured, just as the Baron of Porto Alegre, but Caxias was still in Rio, and could be sent there with reinforcements. The problem would be Mitre and Flores. If they are lost (especially Mitre) then Argentina would face real serious problems. IOTL, when a rumour that Paraguay had won the battle in Tuyuti reached Entre-Rios many people actually celebrated it, because they disliked the policies of Mitre and his group. If Argentina is in turmoil and can't support Brazilian actions there then we would be in trouble.
Hm, so Lopez made the same mistake the Allies did at Curupaity? God, the senselessness of both sides reminds me so much of the American Civil War. Anyways, IIRC George Thompson said that Resquin initially did manage to capture much of the Argentines' artillery at first. Then they were pushed back. If surprise was better achieved then perhaps he can do much better. That, and as you said use the reserves and have better command.

As for why Lopez abandoned the initial plan, George Thompson (who I'll trust because he was literally right there at the time) says Lopez 'had received news for the plan of Mitre for attacking him on the 25th, and that he resolved to prevent the execution of it by attacking him beforehand.'

Anyways, while I am sure Brazil would try to keep fighting, I am 100% sure Uruguay would be officially out of the war, and maybe Argentina too. In the previous battle much of the Uruguayan contingent was lost and Flores, in a letter, expressed much resentment towards Mitre and doesn't seem to have wanted to keep fighting very much. And if Argentina is taken out of the war, then I suppose Lopez might have a greater chance at holding out long enough for the dissenting public in Brazil to get even more tired of the war and get the country to end it. Although, part of me is rather sure Lopez would still find a way to lose.

Kaiphranos, one good book I recommend is Armies of the Nineteenth Century: The Americas: The Paraguayan War, by Terry Hooker. Although another excellent source you can get for free is to search on Google Books for The Paraguayan War, by George Thompson, which is a free full-view because the copyright is over 100 years old and is very good as he was a personal witness, being both an engineer colonel in the Paraguayan Army during the war and an acquaintance of Solano Lopez himself.