William Clito vs. Robert, 1st Earl of Gloucester

Grey Wolf

Donor
I think it would certainly make a nice idea of a timeline! I'm not sure how well it would fare as straight discussion since so many things are going to be by "author's discretion"

Just out of interest, your keeping William alive 7 years longer than in OTL, though that's no great feat if his arm doesn't go all gammy on him

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

I think it would certainly make a nice idea of a timeline! I'm not sure how well it would fare as straight discussion since so many things are going to be by "author's discretion"

Just out of interest, your keeping William alive 7 years longer than in OTL, though that's no great feat if his arm doesn't go all gammy on him

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Yes, I'm supposing Matilda died childless (mid 1120s), that William lives longer as he died young of a gangrenous arm from a battle wound, and that Robert and his wife would live long and have several long lived children as in OTL.

No English Angevins presently but there's a possibility of a later analogue.

I thought I'd put together soemthing rough:

1120 White Ship Disaster. Henry 1st of England begins to garner support for his daughter Matilda to succeed him. William of Clito is a contender for the throne but both is out of favour with Henry. Robert de Caen, Henry's oldest illegitimate son, gathers support for his half-sister Matilda.

1122 Stephen of Blois dies. A number of Norman aristocrats led by Waleran de Beaumont, count of Meulan and Amaury de Montfort, count of Evreux, begin to support William Clito to succeed Henry I.

1125 "Empress" Matilda dies. Henry makes Robert de Caen his heir. Matilda's supporters transfer their support to Robert de Caen.

1134 Robert Curthose, older brother of Henry dies in prison.

1135 Henry 1st of England dies.

Last edited:
1135 Robert is crowned Robert I of England

1136 Waleran de Beaumont; Earl of Worcester, Robert de Beaumont ; Earl of Leicester, and Amaury de Montford ; Count of Evreux lead a rebellion against Robert I. William Clito gathers an army and invades England.

1137 William Clito dies in battle. Thierry of Alsace becomes Count of Flanders. De Montford dies of natural causes.

1138 The rebellion is crushed by royalist forces. The Beaumonts are found guilty of treason. The Beaumonts are hanged. The lands and titles of the traitors are absorbed by the crown.

1139 Eleanor of Aquitaine gives birth to a son, Phillip.

Edited

Last edited:
The Anglo-Norman Continuance

1120 William Adelin dies in the White Ship Disaster. Henry 1st of England begins to garner support for his daughter Matilda to succeed him. William of Clito is a contender for the throne but both is out of favour with Henry. Robert de Caen, Henry's oldest illegitimate son, gathers support for his half-sister Matilda.

1122 Stephen of Blois dies (POD). A number of Norman aristocrats led by Waleran de Beaumont, count of Meulan and Amaury de Montfort, count of Evreux, begin to support William Clito to succeed Henry I.

1125 "Empress" Matilda dies. Henry makes Robert de Caen his heir. Matilda's supporters transfer their support to Robert de Caen.

1134 Robert Curthose, older brother of Henry 1st dies in prison.

1135 Henry 1st of England dies. Robert is crowned Robert I of England.

1136 Waleran de Beaumont; Earl of Worcester, Robert de Beaumont ; Earl of Leicester, and Amaury de Montford ; Count of Evreux lead a rebellion against Robert I. William Clito gathers an army and invades England.

1137 William Clito dies in battle. Thierry of Alsace becomes Count of Flanders. De Montford dies of natural causes.

1138 The rebellion against Robert is crushed by royalist forces. The Beaumonts are found guilty of treason. The Beaumonts are hanged. The lands and titles of the traitors are absorbed by the crown. Robert acquires the County of Meulan.

1139 Eleanor of Aquitaine gives birth to a son, Phillip.