Axis (Spanish) Cuba

I was thinking on one of the, for a spaniard, most irritating AH clichés ("no matter the POD, there will be a Spanish Civil War in the early decades of the 20th century") when an idea stuck me.

If there is not Spanish-American war, or Spain actually decided to give more than a token effort and somehow wins, there is a chance it keeps Cuba and Puerto Rico until the great decolonizations (not a huge chance, the rebellions are not solved by a lack of war). It could even keep the Philippines, it they have some luck.

The loss of Cuba was a huge -probably THE- factor in the political insability of the next years, than ended in the Civil War. If Cuba is not lost, there is no war. But that does not save Spain from the same social motions than ended up in fascism in Europe, so it could (and probably would) end a fascist nation.
Now, for the sake of discussion, lets ignore than with a POD around 1898 World war I and II could be butterflied like the Spanish war; Europe was heading to war anyway and the industrial revolution ensures than this war will be as traumatic as the Great War even if it moves a few years.

Hitler, on the other hand, was born in 1889, before the POD, and he probably has no more artistic talent on TTL, nor is European society more pro-jewish. Cue on the alt!nazism, with an Axis Spain.

Initially my idea was about Europe, but, well, we all can guess what goes on there. Between the Regia Marina and the Armada, Gibraltar and Malta are gone. This is a problem, a huge one. But the Royal Navy is the Royal Navy. Egypt stands, Cyprus stands. Spain will lose northen Africa and probably the Canary islands to Britian and Free France soon; likewise with Italy and Lybia. Hitler is still insane and incompetent; Spain's addition is a bost at the beggining but in the end it is simply a huge coastline to unsucessfully defend against invassion. Madrid falls, Rome falls, Berlin falls, cheers for the good guys.

But now the colonial war has suddenyl gotten interesting. The Axis has bases a hundred miles of the US coasts. The US simply cannot ignore the war until Pearl Harbor.

And if Spain somehow still has the Philippines, the Pacific war has gotten a huge new twist. The Philippines are Axis. In fact, depending on which POD led to the islands remaining Spanish, one or several of the Islands could have been sold to Germany and/or the US. Germany wanted to buy then, and while Spain had not the tradidion of selling colonies, there are quite a few islands, so might sell a couple; even if they have no war, the US still wants the pacific ports -unless they lost an alt!Spanish-American war in unfriendly terms, I am sure Spain would at least sell then Guam.

But the core of the Philippines would still be Axis, so Japan has no reason to invade the islands (or, more interestingly, but for some other thread, it joins the Allies to invade them) Would the US even attack Japon, thousands of miles away, when Cuba is far more dangerous?

The Vulture

Banned
An Axis Spanish Empire?

Now there's an interesting idea. How are their relations with Central American countries and Mexico? Given their common heritage, they might conceivably have strong bonds.

Frees up Japanese troops and gives them an platform for attacking Australia (which is ultimatly doomed to failure). Thus Japan sticking with the Axis is in their intrest

Wolfpaw

Banned
I actually thought Turtledove had a fairly decent/reasonable point when he said that no Spanish-American War may lead to a Hispano-Japanese War over the Philippines and Guam.

Granted, not entirely on topic, but I thought it worth mentioning. We'd most likely see Cuba stay Spanish, but the Philippines and Guam could very likely be gobbled up by Japan.

This much I know for sure - Puerto Rico could stay within Spain, since it granted Luis Muñoz Rivera's wish of an autonomous government for the island. No Spanish-American War, the autonomous government goes ahead. K, so Puerto Rico might not be of much value to Spain (except for El Morro and its position in the Caribbean), but could it be possible for an earlier Operación Manos a la Obra?

This could absolutely change everything for France declaring war on Germany for invading Poland, France is bordered on 3 fronts by German allies... So Germany could quite believably invade his share of Poland without being declared upon by France and thus Britain. The Anti-Comintern Nations could then quite happily bash the Soviet Union.

Main problem is that by 1898 all the Cuban factions had agreed on Independence, and where on the Verge of Winning
In order for Spain to win,requires a Major Military Effort, which means a Major realignment in Spain's politics & attitude towards Cuba.
This realignment in the early 20th century would probably preclude the post WW1 era Civil War.

I was thinking on one of the, for a spaniard, most irritating AH clichés ("no matter the POD, there will be a Spanish Civil War in the early decades of the 20th century") when an idea stuck me.

If there is not Spanish-American war, or Spain actually decided to give more than a token effort and somehow wins, there is a chance it keeps Cuba and Puerto Rico until the great decolonizations (not a huge chance, the rebellions are not solved by a lack of war). It could even keep the Philippines, it they have some luck.

The loss of Cuba was a huge -probably THE- factor in the political insability of the next years, than ended in the Civil War. If Cuba is not lost, there is no war. But that does not save Spain from the same social motions than ended up in fascism in Europe, so it could (and probably would) end a fascist nation.

If you count the Carlist Wars and the 1820 liberal-absolutist conflict (although that had external help) what is usually called The Spanish Civil War would be the Fifth of the name.

It's not a cliché. Unfortunately civil war is the most likely result. In fact I'd say that without the shock of the Spanish-American war and the loss of the colonies, the Civil War might have come about in the 20s.

And as a result it is more likely you might get a Traditionalist regime. And that _might_ end up in an alt-Axis. But you might lose the colonies anyhow in the process.

Now, for the sake of discussion, lets ignore than with a POD around 1898 World war I and II could be butterflied like the Spanish war; Europe was heading to war anyway and the industrial revolution ensures than this war will be as traumatic as the Great War even if it moves a few years.

Hitler, on the other hand, was born in 1889, before the POD, and he probably has no more artistic talent on TTL, nor is European society more pro-jewish. Cue on the alt!nazism, with an Axis Spain.

Well, I have a POD which might work and which might get us a Fascist Spain, but Hitler would be butterflied away(1), as they would be in the late 1860s, early 1870s.

- The Virginius affair or something quite as nasty happens a bit earlier and results in a Spanish-American war. But one that Spain might win. The Americans didn't have modern ironclads, and only caught up with the idea that they needed some after that.

How much earlier? A few months would do nicely: my ideal would be before Estanislao Figueres said that famous «Senyors, ja no aguanto més. Vaig a ser-los franc: estic fins als collons de tots nosaltres!»(2) before taking the first train to Paris.

Nothing unites like the common enemy.

It could have a salutary effect for the Republic and could give time for the Federalists to roll out their program in a more orderly fashion.

A Federal Spanish Republic could have been the answer to the independence movements in the colonies. As well as get the Catholic Church away from Spanish politics. And hopefully also the Army.

Then have Spain in the *WWI on the Allied side, battling Italy on the Central Powers side to a standstill, with the end result being a big fat NOTHING in the negotiating table after the war, which is about average for Spain...

That and the post-war depression could get some demagogue, populist, fascist like figure into power as soon as the going gets tough. How about an alternate *Jose Antonio Primo de Rivera? He's a bit too young and I disagree with his politics, but I can't help but like the guy. His patriotism and almost mystical love for Spain is contagious.

Initially my idea was about Europe, but, well, we all can guess what goes on there. Between the Regia Marina and the Armada, Gibraltar and Malta are gone. This is a problem, a huge one. But the Royal Navy is the Royal Navy. Egypt stands, Cyprus stands. Spain will lose northen Africa and probably the Canary islands to Britian

A more modern and better funded Spanish navy would have lots and lots of submarines. Good for coastal defence and as commerce raiders. At least that I know. I am not Captain Ramius.

Of North Africa Spain would not have had as much, unless you want to make it into the Spanish equivalent of Italian Lybia, or more fittingly, of Italian Tunis without the French meddling.

The Canary Islands I see as possible, but not probable. They are a bit far away from everything. Particularly if the Brits are kicked out of the Med. And Spanish interdiction subs operating off Cuba and Puerto Rico can affect supplies from the US.

and Free France soon; likewise with Italy and Lybia. Hitler is still insane and incompetent; Spain's addition is a bost at the beggining but in the end it is simply a huge coastline to unsucessfully defend against invasion. Madrid falls, Rome falls, Berlin falls, cheers for the good guys.

And afterwards Spain will get broken into zones of occupation, Catalonia goes to France, as usual...sorry, was I thinking that out loud?

But now the colonial war has suddenly gotten interesting. The Axis has bases a hundred miles of the US coasts. The US simply cannot ignore the war until Pearl Harbor.

I think you mean "in the meantime" rather than "now". Otherwise you want the last bastion of the Axis to be Cuba. Which would be a menace by air to New Orleans and Mobile. And Miami. Tops. I'm sorry but I do not see a D-Day(3) landing in the US.

On the other hand there would be no Pearl Harbor. The Japanese operating through the Philippines should be able to get some oil supplies since there's no way that the US is going to enforce a blockade.

And if Spain somehow still has the Philippines, the Pacific war has gotten a huge new twist. The Philippines are Axis. In fact, depending on which POD led to the islands remaining Spanish, one or several of the Islands could have been sold to Germany and/or the US.

Midway is still US. But too far I'd say for anything beyond a Doolittle style raid.

With the Philippines on board, the Carolines and Marianas would not be sold to anyone. The Marshalls would probably still go to Germany, but the US is also a possibility.

Germany wanted to buy then, and while Spain had not the tradidion of selling colonies, there are quite a few islands, so might sell a couple; even if they have no war, the US still wants the pacific ports -unless they lost an alt!Spanish-American war in unfriendly terms, I am sure Spain would at least sell then Guam.

But the core of the Philippines would still be Axis, so Japan has no reason to invade the islands (or, more interestingly, but for some other thread, it joins the Allies to invade them) Would the US even attack Japan, thousands of miles away, when Cuba is far more dangerous?

ITTL One and a half million Filipino don't die in two wars of independence. Jose Rizal might represent the Filipino state in the Cortes and get the Nobel Prize in Literature instead of Echegaray(4). Perhaps more money and opportunities for Isaac Peral, Torres-Quevedo, Ricardo de la Cierva, and a near monopoly of tungsten(5)

(1) Butterfly net made of handwavium... or, got it, ASBBB. Alien Space Bats on Bacardi Breezer.
(2) Look it up. Catalan is such a civilized language...
(3) D-for-Diego Day.
(4) Jose Rizal was the very man. Echegaray had good connections. While we're at it, let's make Jose Rizal President of the Republic and Benito Perez Galdos Nobel Prize.
(5) Autogyro, attack Submarines... BWAHAHAHAHAAAAA! Hey France! Remember 1808? What goes around comes around, BWAHAHAHAHA!!! Sorry, I'll stop the insane cackling now...
(6) In this TL, with a more prosperous and stable Spain, the Eiffel Tower is built in Barcelona for the Universal Exposition, instead of the stupid Triumph arch. Or in Madrid, for the heck of it. Hell, I'm sure Madrid would get a bigger one anyway.

Philippines owned by the Axis means it is not much of a threat to Japan's shipping lines. Which means it is militarily much more possible for Japan to attack the Dutch East Indies without attacking the U.S. first.

Would the U.S. declare war on Japan over an attack on Indonesia?