3-Way Cold War

I was wondering (for the past few weeks actually) if it was possible to have a Cold War start between the USA and its allies, the USSR and the rest of the Comintern, and a Federal (non-Nazi) Germany? Basically, how would this be possible and how might it turn out? My idea was that an anti-Nazi coup would have to succeed, and not the famous July 20 Plot as that would be in all actuality too late to give Germany a chance. Let's say that the 21st of March, 1943, Hitler is visiting a certain military museum called the Zeughaus in Berlin to tour an exhibit of the captured Russian weapons. By Hitler's side are Goring, Himmler, Keitel, and Donitz. Unlike OTL, let's assume Hitler is in a good mood and is fascinated with the captured items at the museum, but suddenly, his tour guide Colonel Gersdorff embraces Hitler, and a short moment later the bombs in his coat pockets detonate, wiping out several top Nazis including Der Fuhrer.

Colonel Tresckow, who orchestrated the plan, allegedly had a detailed plan as to consolidating control over the German government. Assuming it happens, I would think the German government starts withdrawing at least in the east as the defeat at Stalingrad has already happened and they have little chance there unless they pull back to a well organized defensive line. Assuming they did this and survived long enough on both fronts to get the Allies to agree to a peace treaty, would it be possible for the Germans to get a peace treaty that still keeps them as a strong, unified country separate from the other two power blocs in the ensuing Cold War? If that is possible, how would the Cold War develop, what would the future of the German arms manufacturing look like, etc? And if I made any great and obvious mistakes or bad assumptions, please don't flame me, just point them out. I am not in any way a WW2 expert.

Likely they'd have to pull back to Germany proper at the least for such a peace treaty to work, but if they did they could become an influential player in the Cold War as they could tip the balance to one side or another.

Riain

Banned
I'm not going to go into your PoD, just asume that it happened and a compromise peace struck.
A Greater Germany and MittelEuropa alliance would be a superpower. Here is the table from Paul Kenney's Rise and Fall of the Great Powers. http://www.combinedfleet.com/economic.htm That shows in 1937 Germany being more or less equal to the Soviet Union and/or the combination of Britain and France.

Germany would behave exactly the same as the US and SU in a 3 way Cold War; seek allies, fight proxy wars, engage in diplomatic competition and so on. However in a 3 way Cold War I don't think one of the players would be allowed to collapse because the other would be too exposed. I think the US and GGME would prop up the ailing SU for a while as a way of jokeying for position.

Ah, more positive than I expected, thank you. And yes, Abe, I did imagine and assume the Germans would pull back to Germany proper. I'd think that the whole east would still go red, maybe even Greece if the Germans do enough damage to the Allies before the peace. However, not sure about Finland. Anyways, I am sure they might be able to keep the old 1939 borders. What do you guys think?

Also, I was wondering about how German arms development might go, and their sciences in general. The Space Race, if it still occurs, will surely be different. How good were American scientists without the work of Von Braun aiding them? I know the USSR did ok, however. And although we've seen quite a few Nazi cold war threads, a federal German one would be different in regards to foreign relations I'm sure. It would at least be able to make more allies. Finland is one possibility if they don't go red, and Franco's Spain too perhaps.

And then there is the possibility of how the careers of people who died OTL going on. For example, who'd run Germany? What happens to Tresckow, Rommel, even Stauffenberg (who would not be seen as a hero, as he was acquainted with Tresckow some months after the March 1943 plot). Another figure of note would be Gersdorff, one of the few plotters who lived OTL but TTL succeeded in vaporizing himself. IOTL, he was coincidentally the one who discovered the mass-graves of the Katyn Massacre just a month after his failed plan. Obviously TTL it'd be hard for him to do so, so how long would Katyn go undiscovered?

Hmm, the other plans don't have details on who was present aside from Hitler and the would-be assassin, The only other suitable moments for an attempt on Hitler's life for this scenario's purposes are either the earlier Tresckow plan involving a bomb on a plane, the December 1943 plan which was similar to Gersdorff's in that it required a suicide bomber, or the March 1944 plan which was a suicide mission also, but not a suicide bomber type deal. Other attempts are either too late for Germany, too early to give them a better arms industry which would be of great importance for the future cold war, or involved foreign agents or lone gunmen, neither of which would topple the Nazi regime.

Anyways, as I said, what I was most curious about in the hypothetical 3-Way Cold War was the different world power struggles, what with a 3rd, albeit smaller, bloc and I was also greatly interested in the future of German arms development. As I am not an expert in the subject, I was just wondering what anyone else thought the future of Germany might end up looking like. So, any ideas at all?