Rommel's Barbarossa 1942 (Continued from Manstein in Africa)

This is a continuation of my thread Manstein in Africa This portion shall examine the German home front, preparations from Barbarossa May 1942 and the General Axis war effort. This may be considered book 2 of the series. While Rommel is the linchpin character many of the chapters here will not examine him directly, at this point he is only a corps commander among many despite his favor at the highest levels of the German high command. Your comments are always welcomed and desired as they are an excellent jumping off point (the entire campaign for full moon came about from your suggestions. And even the entire concept of Rommel in the east came from suggestions from when I wrote the preview chapters). I hope you enjoy part 2 - BW749

Manstein's lessons must be spread (Chapter 1)

Hitler's military HQ Berlin June 1941

Adolf Hitler had followed the progress of the Italian infantry and armored divisions in Africa closely. The idea to have Hermann Balck (1st rifle regiment/7th Panzer/Africa Corps commander in sequence) train their men in the brutality of war had been Hitler's alone. Manstein had added to the success by integrating the small arms weapons systems which eased ammunition supply issues and increased morale and comradery amongst the German and Italian troops.

Mussolini was thrilled by his victories and by Manstein's gracious praise of the Italian army which was improving daily under their German teachers. Relations between the two nations became tighter and more friendly than they had ever been. Manstein had been able to change the nature of the axis from parallel war to coalition war with much success.

Mussolini%20and%20Hitler.jpg

The two dictators enjoyed much warmer relations after Manstein's integration of their weapons systems

Looking at this success changed some of Hitler's thinking about Barbarossa. He had originally intended to only tell Mussolini about the invasion after the fact and assign only subsidiary roles to the Hungarians, Rumanians and other Axis players. Now Hitler saw that with the proper instruction that his allies were quite capable of holding their own or in fact achieving considerable victories in the name of Fascism.

Against the advice of some of the General staff who feared lapses in Italian operational security at this time Hitler invited his brother dictator to Vienna for a conference and great banquet.

Mussolini was as bombastic as ever and many toasts were made to the progress of the Panzer Army Africa, Manstein, and Bastico. Hitler via his interpreter spelled out his plans for the future:

Hitler: Senor Mussolini, I would like to tonight inform that you that I intend to invade the Soviet Union this coming May and wipe out communism from the earth
Mussolini: The Italian army and people must participate in such an action. Have you come here tonight to ask for my help
Hitler: Of course, I wouldn't dream of taking on such a massive enterprise without your partnership
Mussolini: Has your high command studied how Italy might assist in the great crusade
Hitler: Yes they have and I have conducted interviews with Manstein, Bastico, Balck and several other officers into how it should be arranged
Mussolini: What do they recommend?
Hitler: I would request Italy commit two field armies of 20 divisions to our battle whilst not drawing away any forces currently committed to the Panzer Army Africa. These two armies will form our southern flank and drive deep into the Ukraine with Kiev as their first campaign objective.
Mussolini: We have the necessary number of forces available although they are not up to the standard of the troops currently in Africa.
Hitler: We have many months to prepare and I have considered this in some detail. I would invite you to send you divisions to the Southern part of Poland where we are establishing some large troop training grounds. I will task my 1st East Prussian Wolfhound Infantry Division and our veteran 6th Panzer Division to play professor to the forces you dispatch. We have several new weapons systems coming on line and I intend to release surplus stocks to your army so they may field similar weapons to ours just like in Africa
Mussolini: This arrangement is excellent and will work based on our previous example. Manstein's idea's about unifying our war effort must be spread
Hitler: Then it is agreed. I will dispatch Goring and Jodl to Rome to make the necessary arrangements with your high command in a few days.

Another round of toasts went around the room although Hitler himself kept it to sparkling water. He was pleased that Mussolini was on board wholeheartedly and this now increased his strategic options.

82635d.jpg

The two dictators agree to Mussolini's participation in Barbarossa

Similar agreements were set up with the governments of Hungary and Rumania. There was some significant squabbling amongst the German high command as to who should lead the training missions.

Hitler wanted Rommel to command the training missions but Jodl and Halder put up a united front and correctly pointed out that Rommel wasn't the diplomatic sort and he had made a name for himself not only beating but humiliating the Italian and Rumanian armies in WW1. So the tasks were broken up as follows

Training the Italian Army
1st Infantry
6th Panzer
Training leader Ewald Von Kleist

Training the Hungarian Army
10th Motorized Infantry
Training leader Hans Von Arnim

Training the Rumanian Army
SS Leibstandarte
78th Assault Infantry
Training lead Frederich Paulus and Erhard Raus

The inclusion of Paulus to Rumania had been partially diplomatic. He had never had a field command but instead had been a staff officer and then replaced Manstein as quartermaster general. Paulus's wife was Romanian and this was seen as a very positive influence on events. Raus did most of the heavy lifting whilst Paulus supervised and learned as much as his hosts.

friedrich_paulus.jpg

The leader of the training mission to the Rumanian army.

Hitler repeated his successful tactic from Africa of granting German weapons licenses to his allies. He also gave orders for Nikolas Von Falkenhorst to return home from Norway and to come see him.
Their meeting would change some of the very nature of Barbarossa

to be continued...

your thoughts on our first installment?

Last edited:
What does Italy get for joining the Germans in their Barbarossa-adventure?
Perhaps you should mention, what Italy is to receive for helping the Germans out.

What does Italy get for joining the Germans in their Barbarossa-adventure?
Perhaps you should mention, what Italy is to receive for helping the Germans out.

Mussolini wanted a piece of the action no matter what... but Hitler waived all fees from German Weapons licenses and agreed to Italy being given the Crimea after a successful campaign.

Paul MacQ

Monthly Donor
Hitler repeated his successful tactic from Africa of granting German weapons licenses to his allies. He also gave orders for Nikolas Von Falkenhorst to return home from Norway and to come see him.
Their meeting would change some of the very nature of Barbarossa

to be continued...

your thoughts on our first installment?

I am interested in other Technology exchanges with Italy especially the Navy Things hat come to mind to mind like Ship Radar for the Navy. I know this is not as big an Issue with concentrating on the Russia. But a clean up in the Med what sort of Pressure could be brought on Turkey to allow the transit of Italian Warships into the Black sea for operations if the Italian are getting involved in the War. Could these cause grief

Rail Links to Bulgaria Could support Reasonable size Naval operations( Will Bulgaria also get training Help and other assistance, Not sure if they would Contribute forces against Russia still, But they did do Anti Partisan operations, But there are other places that they could be used ) and Naval power via some older Italian Battleships in the area leading to possible operations in the Black sea and Raids if not a Direct route to the the Caucasus. Just likes what I have read on the San Marco in earlier Posts and looking for an Opening for them to have some effect.

This is purely conjecture as I do not know the State of the USSR black sea fleet TTL, or How easy operations would be, I do Know the Russians are very adept at mine Mine warfare, And a Force of Subs and an Old Battleship, But do not know much more about ability. I do know restrictive waters and Air power would be important

So this is very Much a question on Possibility.

BTW very well written and an I am most impressed.

Last edited:
I am interested in other Technology exchanges with Italy especially the Navy Things hat come to mind to mind like Ship Radar for the Navy. I know this is not as big an Issue with concentrating on the Russia. But a clean up in the Med what sort of Pressure could be brought on Turkey to allow the transit of Italian Warships into the Black sea for operations if the Italian are getting involved in the War. Could these cause grief

Rail Links to Bulgaria Could support Reasonable size Naval operations( Will Bulgaria also get training Help and other assistance, Not sure if they would Contribute forces against Russia still, But they did do Anti Partisan operations, But there are other places that they could be used ) and Naval power via some older Italian Battleships in the area leading to possible operations in the Black sea and Raids if not a Direct route to the the Caucasus. Just likes what I have read on the San Marco in earlier Posts and looking for an Opening for them to have some effect.

This is purely conjecture as I do not know the State of the USSR black sea fleet TTL, or How easy operations would be, I do Know the Russians are very adept at mine Mine warfare, And a Force of Subs and an Old Battleship, But do not know much more about ability. I do know restrictive waters and Air power would be important

So this is very Much a question on Possibility.

BTW very well written and an I am most impressed.

Their Black Sea Fleet would have been overmatched in a purely naval battle against a major Regia Marina task force built around Veneto, Littorio and Roma. I hadn't pondered a major naval operation in the Black Sea but the idea is intriguing. (In Manstein changes the world I had the Leibstandarte do an amphibious landing at Riga... the only amphibious axis in Russia ATL on the board as far as I know)

The Bulgarians are not in this improvment plan. They aren't even going to declare war on Russia (like otl) just occupation duty in the balkans with whatever they have

The Bulgarians are Russians with mustaches - Adolf Hitler

We will need to increase our efforts (Chapter 2)

Troop training grounds, Central Poland July 1941

GeneralDerPanzerTruppen Erwin Rommel was not a man easily impressed, particularly by the Italian military establishment but he had to admit Kleist was good at getting macaronnis to adapt to mobile warfare.

Rommel and his 24th Panzer Corps had been the opponent for the Italian 8th army of 10 divisions for the last several weeks. During the first few exercises Rommel's veteran divisions had no problem chopping up the Italians and moving at speeds that they couldn't reacte to. In particular Generaleutant Model of 3rd Panzer was proving himself a true master of massing and moving his division like lightening.

Rommel was without one of his core formations the 10th motorized which had been dispatched for other training purposes. His corps, had however grown by another formation.

A few months earlier Rommel whilst on his observation mission for the fuhrer (still a secondary periodic requirement of his job) had watched the formation and training of the 90th light division which would later evolve to become Manstein's primary pivot force in Africa. It was a motorized mix of AA, AT, infantry and artillery along with a mixed tank company that had the strength of a reinforced brigade. Rommel had come back the fuhrer in great awe of the flexabilty and strategic options such a formation created.

21-Panzer-03.jpg

One of Rommel's self propelled guns teaching the Italians about modern mobile war

My fuhrer I must have a formation like the 90th light. It would increase the striking power, range and strategic strength of my corps far out of proportion to the men and equipment required

I will order a comb out of our garrison units in France and Germany looking for men who have combat experience. I will give them top priority for equipment. This will be an SS formation the Hai Brigade.

(Rommel wasn't thrilled to have to command an SS formation but he would take the additional troops and keep his mouth shut whilst the fuhrer was being generous)

The Hai brigade evolved in much the same way as the 90th Light. It benefitted from the high caliber of its men and officers and most of all from its commander Kurt "Panzer" Meyer formerly of the Leibstandarte recon battalion.

Kurt-Meyer-04.jpg

Panzer Meyer would prove one of the most talented line commanders of Barbarossa

Rommel was forced to admit after a month of training with the Italians that he needed to increase his efforts. Kleist wasn't just doing it on his own. The great reports out of Africa made the Italians burst with pride and high morale. Their newly issued Mauser rifles and Schmessier sub machine guns improved their confidence and their German instructors on Kleists orders had gone out of their way to pass on their lessons in a friendly matter.

An enterprising regimental commander of the Blackshirt Young Facist Division even "captured" Rommel and his corps staff by deftly outmaneuvering the 1st Cavalry Division. The Italian Major accepted Rommel's handshake with great pride

You know herr GeneralDerPanzerTruppen I was a member of the Salerno Brigade in the last war and you took me prisoner in 1917

I thought you looked familar... haha good show Major allow me to give you and your brave security platoon a round of drinks

While Rommel played the role of diplomat for the moment at heart he was truly angry to have been defeated by the Italians. Exercises would have to start early tomorrow he decided... Tomorrow I will show Kleist what a real GeneralDerPanzerTruppen can do

to be continued....

your thoughts?

9913.jpg

The Group of Prisoners Rommel took in 1917 including a young man who would capture him more than 20 years later in a war game as a German comrade in arms

Great post!! Frankly, that's all I have to say at the moment, and I hope you do well to keep up the Great work. Looking forward to seeing more.

Brilliant! More! Thats all I can think of :D
The picture you draw of Rommel is very good indeed.
And with this kind of long term training the formations involved will become an awesome fighting force :eek:

Paul MacQ

Monthly Donor
OK regarding weapons mentioned

Mauser very simple reliable and robust weapons This like captured Polish stocks and Old Czech rifles not only allot hanging round but lots of Manufacturing facilities I like

MP40 German SMG would recommend
recommends something like Beretta 38/44 Chamber for German Round and even better MP40 Mag http://world.guns.ru/smg/smg89-e.htm

Look at Czechoslovakia just north of the Boarder for weapons that use 7.92 Mauser ammo. the MG34 was an expensive to make weapon lucky the MG42 was just around the corner

Replacement LMG
LMG the Italians if they had anything that was the worse in the world of all weapons ( http://world.guns.ru/machine/mg83-e.htm )
Recommended replacement ZB 30 Basically weapon the British Bren was modeled on (http://world.guns.ru/machine/mg52-e.htm ) In use by the Germans in second line troops already

Also a suberb realiable weapon ZB 53 / Vz.37 Not only used by the German in in second line service, (http://world.guns.ru/machine/mg60-e.htm )But reputation for robust reliability
http://world.guns.ru/machine/mg60-e.htm.

This is until Production or Licenses can be Brought forward for German weapons if the MG42 is coming online I recommend that would be fantastic but even that MG made for Mass production is going to need time to Tool up

The Weapons listed above especially are a massive improvement for the Italians,

Italians already have a Good 90mm AA gun possible to rechamber to German 88 if need be but probably over kill,

Machine Tools and access to more raw Materials.

What is going to happen to all the Italian weapons Maybe all POW Camps and second line occupation Troops getting lumbered with them, so more of the German Caliber weapons can get to Front line Troops. How much firepower do Prison Guards and Military Police need they might even like a Handy 6.5 mm Carbine instead of heavier rifle.

This is actually allot of weapons in second line Duties Like Luftwaffe AAA Troops and the like,

Back to my earlier question

Has been looking at possibilities of Black sea operations on thing that stood out was the massive amount reinforcement that Sevastopol by sea Got during it's siege if nothing else Naval force that can interdict that would be useful. I was rather surprised at how much Traffic sailed and Used the Ports in Black Sea.

Question you might want feedback on is Can Surprise invasions catch the Russians Napping ? in and Capture Sevastopol Naval Base I know that a lot of it's Sailors got used later for manpower during the siege

helpful reading http://ww2db.com/battle_spec.php?battle_id=214

Looking at the Numbers and Fire support from the Italian Navy Possible with 2 Divisions if surprise can be made is it possible ? I am thinking a good maybe, I am sure other can offer input

OK regarding weapons mentioned

Mauser very simple reliable and robust weapons This like captured Polish stocks and Old Czech rifles not only allot hanging round but lots of Manufacturing facilities I like

MP40 German SMG would recommend
recommends something like Beretta 38/44 Chamber for German Round and even better MP40 Mag http://world.guns.ru/smg/smg89-e.htm

Look at Czechoslovakia just north of the Boarder for weapons that use 7.92 Mauser ammo. the MG34 was an expensive to make weapon lucky the MG42 was just around the corner

Replacement LMG
LMG the Italians if they had anything that was the worse in the world of all weapons ( http://world.guns.ru/machine/mg83-e.htm )
Recommended replacement ZB 30 Basically weapon the British Bren was modeled on (http://world.guns.ru/machine/mg52-e.htm ) In use by the Germans in second line troops already

Also a suberb realiable weapon ZB 53 / Vz.37 Not only used by the German in in second line service, (http://world.guns.ru/machine/mg60-e.htm )But reputation for robust reliability
http://world.guns.ru/machine/mg60-e.htm.

This is until Production or Licenses can be Brought forward for German weapons if the MG42 is coming online I recommend that would be fantastic but even that MG made for Mass production is going to need time to Tool up

The Weapons listed above especially are a massive improvement for the Italians,

Italians already have a Good 90mm AA gun possible to rechamber to German 88 if need be but probably over kill,

Machine Tools and access to more raw Materials.

What is going to happen to all the Italian weapons Maybe all POW Camps and second line occupation Troops getting lumbered with them, so more of the German Caliber weapons can get to Front line Troops. How much firepower do Prison Guards and Military Police need they might even like a Handy 6.5 mm Carbine instead of heavier rifle.

This is actually allot of weapons in second line Duties Like Luftwaffe AAA Troops and the like,

Back to my earlier question

Has been looking at possibilities of Black sea operations on thing that stood out was the massive amount reinforcement that Sevastopol by sea Got during it's siege if nothing else Naval force that can interdict that would be useful. I was rather surprised at how much Traffic sailed and Used the Ports in Black Sea.

Question you might want feedback on is Can Surprise invasions catch the Russians Napping ? in and Capture Sevastopol Naval Base I know that a lot of it's Sailors got used later for manpower during the siege

helpful reading http://ww2db.com/battle_spec.php?battle_id=214

Looking at the Numbers and Fire support from the Italian Navy Possible with 2 Divisions if surprise can be made is it possible ? I am thinking a good maybe, I am sure other can offer input

I'm going to work in an amphibious op for the black sea... attacking Sevastopol directly would be a bad idea... worse than Dieppe but there are a number of secondary targets and landing areas that could be useful particularly east of Odessa

Where does Germany get the surplus weapons to give Italy? In the real Barbarossa Germany had already had to cut the size of its panzer divisions in half in order to provide the required numbers. Now small arms might be less of a problem but given that Germany is using every truck weapon and tank it can grab from the occupied territory I doubt it can spare anything but training to the Italians. Not that training wouldn't be a great help of course.

Where does Germany get the surplus weapons to give Italy? In the real Barbarossa Germany had already had to cut the size of its panzer divisions in half in order to provide the required numbers. Now small arms might be less of a problem but given that Germany is using every truck weapon and tank it can grab from the occupied territory I doubt it can spare anything but training to the Italians. Not that training wouldn't be a great help of course.

Italy is for the most part producing the small arms under license. Germany has given licenses for armored vehicles and aircraft engines to Italy although these are slowing coming online... only the L-3 75's have made an impact up to this point.

Germany has taken 11 months to reequip its forces with improved weapons and training the axis armies. Integration of weapons systems is HUGE as this reduces their logistics needs and increases comradery and trust between the armies. Italy has been doing this for 5 months already based on Manstein and Hitler's ideas and based on the example the Hungarians and Romanians will be quick to catch up

Thrust and Parry (Chapter 3)

Troop Training Grounds, Central Poland July 1941

From the diaries of GeneralOberst Heinz Guderian,

On July 23rd 1941 I stopped in to visit a war game between my 24th Panzer Corps under Rommel against the Italian 8th army. Reports were that the Italians were getting quite good and I relished the opportunity to see my unit in action.

Rommel didn't even bid me good morning as his headquarters resembled a madhouse as the exercise was scheduled to start early in the day. When the umpire signaled the start of hostilities Rommel went to work in one of the most magnificent feats in an armored exercise I had ever seen.

Rommel launched an audacious attack with his SS Hai Brigade and the 1st Cavalry division backed by two companies of tanks right up the center of the Italian army. A rolling smoke barrage kept the men moving as the Italian line crumpled. Rommel, well forward with one of his recon companies sensed that he had found the schwerpunkt and ordered his 3rd and 4th Panzer Divisions immediately into the breach 3rd Panzer drove north leapfrogging assets and setting up fire positions on with drawl routes and collecting thousands of "prisoners" 4th panzer faced more resistance as they drove to the south. Rommel spurred his cavalry and SS men on and executed a 90 kilometer flanking manuever that put 3 Italian divisions in the bag. I would write on his evaluation report for the Fuhrer that Rommel was the finest of our Panzer Generals with a superb eye for ground and talent. The young man already had all the confidence in the world when I came up to him after the show and told him that if he and his boys performed like that, that the entire Russian army would be theirs for the taking. Rommel with his standard large ego replied "We must increase our efforts I still am not impressed with our performance" That high demand for excellence traveled up and down his chain of command. I knew then that the Rommel corps would be my main striking arm and I could expect the greatest achievments in battle from those boys

GeneralOberst Heinz Guderian, Leader of the 2nd Panzer Army was impressed by Rommel during war games

Rommel himself had purged some of the leadership in his divisions and replaced them with aggressive junior officers who had served him with the Ghost Division in France.

His units became the first behind Manstein's Panzer Army Africa to start receiving the newly redesigned Panzer MK 3's with the new fixed turret and the upgunned Panzer MK 4 F2's with the long 75. Rommel conducted numerous gunnery exercises to familiarize his men with their new equipment and it was found to be a serious improvement of the previous generation of weapons. One by one over the many months his armored companies would become some of the most deadly on the face of the planet

Meanwhile back at the fuhrer's military headquarters in Berlin he and GeneralOberst Nikolaus Von Falkenhorst were working out a way to change the entire scope of Barbarossa....

to be continued

your thoughts on the forming up of the upgunned German Army

falkenhorst-nikolaus-von.jpg

Falkenhorst changed a large component of Barbarossa (he had been the architect of the successful invasion of Norway and was Hitler's go-to General on anything involving Scandinavia)

I would write on his evaluation report for the Fuhrer that Rommel was the finest of our Panzer Generals with a superb eye for ground and talent. The young man already had all the confidence in the world when I came up to him after the show and told him that if he and his boys performed like that, that the entire Russian army would be theirs for the taking.

Rommel was all of 3 years younger than Guderian. That really bugs me.

Ya that seems a bit odd don't you think, otherwise once again you continue to enthrall me

Rommel was a "youthful" general and a fitness fanatic... he was not experienced in terms of high command only getting a division in 1940... the German army was extremely paternalistic so any older commander even if only slightly is looked at as a father figure