Korean Empire

This is my first attempt at a timeline. Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Korean Empire

(This is a map of Goguryeo at its height around Gwanggaeto's time.)

In most ATL situations, Korea is taken over by China, Japan, or Russia. This timeline intends to reverse these scenarios and attempt to create a world in which Korea is more dominant, resulting in drastic consequences.

In OTL, Korea was founded as Gojoseon in 2333 BC, and lasted until 108 BC, making it one of the longest-lived kingdoms. During the first half of the first millennium, Korea was divided into three (technically four) kingdoms, Goguryeo, Baekje, Silla, and Gaya, a minor one. The first managed to dominate what is now southern and eastern Manchuria, the Liaodong peninsula, and the northern Korean peninsula, but never managed to unite the country as a whole. As a whole, Silla, which was considered one of the weaker kingdoms, managed to gain the upper hand and conquer the southern part, although another kingdom, Balhae, was eventually set up on the former territory of Goguryeo and even expanded further beyond.

Goguryeo was at its height under Gwanggaeto the Great, only one of the two greats in Korean history, who managed to greatly expand its territory, yet died relatively young in his 30's. As a result, comparisons are often made with Alexander the Great, who also died young and managed to enlarge his empire.

Although Gwanggaeto never became an emperor, he managed to create similar titles to Chinese ones, and elevated the status of the kingdom.

Gwanggaeto ruled after Han fragmented to China's version of the Three Kingdoms, and managed to take advantage of Baekje, which was also a powerful state in its own right, claiming the left lower portion of the Korean peninsula and also some lands in the Liaodong Peninsula. However, with Goguryeo's intervention, it reduced Baekje's status to that of a vassal state, and never managed to reclaim its former glory.

So, now to ATL.

Gwanggaeto died in 419 at 39 of a disease, possibly from participating in numerous battles. However, what would have happened if he had lived longer, possibly to an age of 61?

Some things to expect: first, Japan would possibly have been invaded, eliminating them as an immediate threat, China might have been conquered up to the Hwang He or the Yangtze, the Mongolians might have been greatly reduced, and the Qing might not have existed.

Most importantly, Korea would have taken a role similar to Japan in the 20th century, and might have gained more territory as a result of not practicing Shintoism, which preaches obedience to the emperor, and probably less of a military attitude because of having strong ties to Confucianism and Buddhism.

Finally, now with the story:

Gwanggaeto sat in his palace, contemplating the scenery around him.

“What a nice day,” he said to himself, having sat on the throne for five years since 391. “What can I do to avenge Baekje, which stubbornly refuses to bow down to my control, although considering that since both of our kingdoms were descended from King Dongmyeong [1], we would obviously be similar in our attitudes. Of course, Silla is out of the question.

His thoughts were hastily interrupted when a servant brought him urgent news.

“Sir! Baekje is planning to invade with Japanese soldiers! They're almost upon us!”
“Baekje? Well, they're being unreasonable again,” he muttered to himself. “Why do they have to come with the Japanese, when they're not even related to us? They're so foolish to consider coming by themselves alone because they're so weak? Well, we'll show them!”

“Spread the message among the soldiers,” he commanded aloud. “I'll be on the battlefield soon.”

“Yes, sir.”

Baekje's attack would force Gwanggaeto to change his plans for the overall campaigns. He was beginning to grow tired of their failed attempts to get back at his superior conquests, although they had been much more powerful a few decades ago [2]. It seemed as if Goguryeo was coming back from its unprecedented downfall.

It didn't take long for the troops to be assembled, but Gwanggaeto had another plan.

“Well, considering that we already have a superior navy that is prepared and well-equipped, why don't we use it?”

This had great approval from the soldiers, especially because it was so creative. Although Baekje was close to water, they would never think of a naval invasion.

So Goguryeo quickly and efficiently gathered its forces, preparing for the upcoming battle.

Gwanggaeto had already taken control of Wiryeseong [3], Baekje’s capital, and 10 fortresses, and also had invaded and conquered the Khitan, which was located in Manchuria.

As the troops prepared to sail off to encounter their enemies, Gwanggaeto stared off into the water. He thought about the wars that he had both started and had been imposed upon him, and realized that there would be more to come. Although China was divided into three kingdoms, it was still considered the dominant power in Asia, and he would have to work extremely hard to change that situation.

It didn’t take long for the ships to arrive at Baekje, and they also landed in the dark, to their advantage.

The king quickly massed his troops, and led them forward.

“Charge!”

[1] The founder of Goguryeo in 37 BC.
[2] King Gogugwon had died in battle against Baekje in 371.
[3] Modern-day Seoul.

So, what do you think?

Haha yes, it’s kind of a Korea-wank.

So, moving on . . .

As expected, Baekje was completely caught unprepared, and they ended up surrendering without putting up much of a fight. However, Goguryeo did not stop there, as they managed to burn 58 fortresses under their control and subjugated Baekje under their control once more.

After the carnage and destruction, King Asin of Baekje approached Gwanggaeto.

“I know that you are more powerful than me,” he began. “But I feel that because of the common kinship that we possess, you must be merciful and let me keep my kingdom. As a result, I beg you to show me mercy.”

“I’ll consider it,” he responded.

As the troops sailed back home, Gwanggaeto was deeply in thought. Yes, it was true that Baekje only wanted to prove their power, which they had done by previously conquering lands in the Liaodong Peninsula, but their resistance was beginning to become annoying. Their territorial ambitions simply had to be stopped.

So, what to do?

Gwanggaeto considered the close alliance between Baekje and Japan. He heard that they sent ambassadors to the barbarian kingdom and given them many items of value, and some had even settled on their land permanently. He shook his head. What could they possibly have to gain from such foolish encounters? Yes, they were a sea empire, but unless they directly subjugated them under their control by forcing them to become a vassal state, he saw no use for it.

Well, why not make an assault on one of the kingdoms and destroy it entirely? Baekje was slowly weakening, so it would be no problem to take them out, and Japan was just across the sea, so Gwanggaeto would be able to easily expand his empire.

The more that he thought about it, it seemed like a good idea. Goguryeo was also a sea kingdom also, but they coveted Liaodong Peninsula because it would increase their influence in China, and he considered Silla and Gaya to be weak because they did not have a significant amount of territory, and Silla always faced threats from Japan for some reason. Korea would be united again as a whole, and he could then focus on lands to the west. He could possibly easily take out China, especially the northern part, and then he would reign supreme.

As soon as he got back, he went to the palace and started forming a response to Baekje. The king would be forced to abdicate, and the troops were to surrender immediately. Although he would allow the royal family to live in comfortable positions, that was all that he would be able to provide for them.

As soon as this plan was carried out, he would then sweep across Silla and Gaya, forcing them to surrender, and it would only be a matter of time before Japan was invaded, leaving all for him to focus on China, forcing them to submit or pay tribute in order for them to stay in power.

Not bad. Why couldn’t he have thought of this before?

And then he realized that Baekje was too strong when he came to the throne because they had expanded greatly, although he couldn’t help thinking that they had probably expanded too much, and were bound to fall.

Well, wait. He needed to watch out for that, because it just wouldn’t do for him to amass such a large amount of territory, only to have it fall to his enemies.

Time for that later, though. He needed to carry out his plans immediately before Baekje made a sudden move in retaliation, although he was pretty sure that that wasn’t going to happen.

He put his brush to paper, and the ultimatum was finished in a short amount of time. He then called his messenger over, and told him,

“Deliver this to King Asin as soon as possible.”

“Yes, sir.”

He then watched him ride off, and hoped for the best, as Goguryeo was going to rise again.

More updates . . .

King Asin sat in his palace, contemplating about what had been going on. After his request, which seemed quite reasonable to him, Gwanggaeto had countered by requesting him to basically surrender. Sure, it was better than reparations, and his family would have a decent living, but he still thought that maybe he was carrying it too far.

He considered the circumstances. Baekje was so much powerful just a few years ago, expanding into China, although they were mostly confined within the Korean peninsula. However, Goguryeo had become much more powerful recently, and after a series of defeats, they were now considering about taking over Baekje completely.

He shook his head. What options did he have? He could either fight back, and most likely get crushed hopelessly by the more powerful kingdom, make another attempt, but possibly get rejected again, or surrender completely and hope for the best.

The future seemed very grim.

He sighed. “Why does it all have to come down to me? If I had ruled only a few years earlier, I might have had a chance to destroy Goguryeo entirely before they took revenge and did the opposite; I could attack Silla as to gain time, then send all of my forces against them and hope that they would succeed, but now it seems that I have very few options left.”

He thought some more. Well, a bloodless surrender might be the only sensible option at this point, but it would bring rebuke from his countrymen, and he could not bear that. So there it was. Surrender or attack. Surrender or attack. Surrender, or . . .

Attack.

Well . . . he struggled, vacillated, and finally decided to get up and pace around the palace. He had been forced to relocate recently because they had captured the capital, and he was forced to build this excuse for a palace. So much for losers.

And as of right now, he felt even worse.

Time passed on relentlessly, gnawing away at his sense of reason, and pounding away at his heart. He was basically stuck between a rock and a hard place, with no way out. If he only could—

A servant arrived, suddenly cutting off his thoughts.

“Well, what it it?”

“Nothing much, sir. Any requests?”

“Well . . . no, I don’t think so. Maybe . . .”

“Your majesty, are you still fretting over the demands?”

“Yes. Do you have any ideas?”

“Well, surrendering is one of the options, your highness.”

“Anyone could figure that out. Any bright ideas?”

“Silla is in our reach, so—”

“Yes, yes, I know. But I obviously don’t want my countrymen to become disappointed for failing to uphold the glory of our kingdom, although it is faltering. There is simply nothing to do.”

“Well, the glory might be one thing, but with support, we might be able to crush them and hope that Goguryeo respects our independence.”

“But who is to say that they aren’t considering it also? Silla might fall easily, but then we have a mess on our hands, and we would be forced to surrender.”

“I never saw it that way, your highness.”

“Hmm . . . forget it. We might as well as sacrifice our independence for our glory. Assemble troops, including our Japanese allies, and prepare to attack Silla by tomorrow.”

“At your request, your grace.”

Now that Asin had thrown the dice, all he needed to do was to prepare for the storm that was to come.

I'm obviously missing something.

We're about to be crushed by our (newly huge) neighbor, so instead of either surrendering or creating defenses or making alliances, we're going to attack a different small neighbor, so the big one will be able to snap both of us up?

??

FDW

Banned
It's interesting to see a TL that focuses on Korea, consider me subscribed.

I'm obviously missing something.

We're about to be crushed by our (newly huge) neighbor, so instead of either surrendering or creating defenses or making alliances, we're going to attack a different small neighbor, so the big one will be able to snap both of us up?

??

Well, as I stated before, although Baekje had a tremendous amount of power before, they were basically pressured by Goguryeo to give up most of their land, so I don't think that alliance is much of an option.

Baekje surrendered in OTL, and this is basically going to be the turning point, because I feel that Goguryeo had plenty of resources to unite the Korean Peninsula, but didn't because they acted like China by demanding tributary status probably to avoid overexpansion.

So that leaves defences, but I don't think that Baekje would have ample time to defend themselves considering that they were invaded several times, and I think that it would actually be quite reasonable to attack Silla because they had done so several times in the past, and it was in order to instill a sense of dominance, but in this situation, it will be for desperation.

And the whole point is for Goguryeo to unite the Korean Peninsula in this way; I'm glad to see that you've noticed that.

Does that help?

P.S. Goguryeo is not a newly huge neighbor, by the way; just because they recently gained power some time after their king died did not mean that they had a small amount of territory. I can show you a map if you want.

Also, thanks for the input. I'm glad to see someone making a critical comment.

Here's a map of Baekje at its height; notice that Goguryeo still has territory in Manchuria. Baekje only expanded to fill up the southwestern part of the Korean peninsula.

Also, I don't know if you can see it very well, but the small red squares are the capitals.

Well, as I stated before, although Baekje had a tremendous amount of power before, they were basically pressured by Goguryeo to give up most of their land, so I don't think that alliance is much of an option.

Baekje surrendered in OTL, and this is basically going to be the turning point, because I feel that Goguryeo had plenty of resources to unite the Korean Peninsula, but didn't because they acted like China by demanding tributary status probably to avoid overexpansion.

So that leaves defences, but I don't think that Baekje would have ample time to defend themselves considering that they were invaded several times, and I think that it would actually be quite reasonable to attack Silla because they had done so several times in the past, and it was in order to instill a sense of dominance, but in this situation, it will be for desperation.

And the whole point is for Goguryeo to unite the Korean Peninsula in this way; I'm glad to see that you've noticed that.

Does that help?

P.S. Goguryeo is not a newly huge neighbor, by the way; just because they recently gained power some time after their king died did not mean that they had a small amount of territory. I can show you a map if you want.

Wait, why would they be worried about over-expansion if they have ample resources? Is it possible that they really couldn't have done it? Why did they misjudge their own power? Also, is the country going to be named "Gurea" or something?

ED: I'd like to see a militant Buddhism. Also I'm probably going to be watching this TL for inspiration for the Korean part of my own. I don't think I'll be taking anything because of the vastly different time period but I'll ask you before hand if I can include any specific elements.

The Butterfly Effect is basically that History will change radically after the POD. For instance in this POD you might have big changes in say Rome; perhaps the Byzantine expedition against the Vandals succeeding.

Yes yes I know what the Butterfly effect is; I just don't think that there would be such major changes, and besides, Rome doesn't have to do anything with Japan.

I'll be quite lazy with the names; Wikipedia doesn't get into too much detail with Korea, so expect minor changes, but not radical ones.

Also, yes, the timeline will continue. I'm hoping to get it to the modern day.

maverick

Banned
ED: I'd like to see a militant Buddhism.

For a Militant Buddhism, check the Japanese Ikko-Ikki of IOTL, who also play a part in my TL, Realm of the Mountain.

Although I don't think they're the only group, just the only one I can remember now.

In any case, good to see a Korean TL, at last:)

Wait, why would they be worried about over-expansion if they have ample resources? Is it possible that they really couldn't have done it? Why did they misjudge their own power? Also, is the country going to be named "Gurea" or something?

ED: I'd like to see a militant Buddhism. Also I'm probably going to be watching this TL for inspiration for the Korean part of my own. I don't think I'll be taking anything because of the vastly different time period but I'll ask you before hand if I can include any specific elements.

Well the problem is that although Goguryeo was at its height during this time, and China was probably in one of its weakest situations, considering that it was divided into three kingdoms, there might be some issues that they have to overcome, such as trying to assimilate the nomadic tribes, such as the Khitan, Liao, and Mongols.

I mean, look at Balhae. Sure, they were brought down by foreigners, but it basically held the largest amount of land for any Korean kingdom.

No no I don't think you get it. Korea gets its name from Goryeo, which takes its name from Goguryeo (In Korean, the former only removes the middle syllable, and Goryeo was used as an abbreviation for Goguryeo sometimes).

I don't think that it's possible to have a militant Buddhism, although during the Mongol invasions (which will not be as extensive in this timeline), some Korean monks did go to the battlefield, but that was only to defend their country in desperate times. But if you'd like to say otherwise, go ahead.

Sure, you can ask anything that you want. I'd like to have more information about your timeline though.

For a Militant Buddhism, check the Japanese Ikko-Ikki of IOTL, who also play a part in my TL, Realm of the Mountain.

Although I don't think they're the only group, just the only one I can remember now.

In any case, good to see a Korean TL, at last:)

Well that's quite interesting, although it states that like I said, they distanced themselves from offensive violence.

Oh and yeah; I created this particularly because I was frustrated at not finding a Korean timeline at all. Once again, like I said before, most of the timelines seemed to be about China, Japan, and Russia exercising their powers, which got quite boring after a while.

Ah I see. I was unaware that Gogureyo was the same as Koguryo, which is what most of my materials call it.

I'll be posting a Synopsis of Volume 1 in either 3 or 4 updates from now so you should be able to catch up with the short version.

Ah I see. I was unaware that Gogureyo was the same as Koguryo, which is what most of my materials call it.

I'll be posting a Synopsis of Volume 1 in either 3 or 4 updates from now so you should be able to catch up with the short version.

Well Korea has this issue with Romanization. Goguryeo is the version after 2000, so don't feel too left out.

That's cool. I'll probably look at your timeline for inspiration in the sense that they will probably be polar opposites of each other.

Does that help?

By alliances I meant Baekje, Silla and Gaya (maybe with Japanese backing) allying to hold off the larger neighbour.