Dieselpunk

Well, there's the "Deco-punk" discussion on the post-1900 board.

Plus a few Airship wanks (check out threads by zoomar).

I'm also considering a Flying Boat wank if I can find the time.

Frankly I hate the name Diesel Punk. Puts me in mind of Mad Max, or something.

Note to "-punk" authors: most 1920's/30's vehicles were not diesel! :p

I'd use combustion punk maybe. There's also Raygun Gothic used as an alt-title.

The simple addition of the suffix 'punk' is an easy way of creating instant themes for timelines: Atompunk, Biopunk, Xenopunk, Ecopunk, Egyptopunk, Francopunk... the list is endless.

Well what are your assumptions about dieselpunk?

To me it sounds like the pre-atomic combustion engine age taken to it's logical extremes. So this means before the big vacuum tube computers and supersonic jets of the Atomic 50's. And by "punk" it also means being the dark and gritty opposite to 1920's "streamline moderne" AKA Art Deco or as we now call it, zeerust/retro-futurism.

So perhaps combine WWI, WWII, "deathracing" and other speedfreak pursuits, and the Italian philosophical school of Futurism (with it's obsession with speed, violence, and man becoming another component of his tools) with a world focused on limited petroleum resources (similar to the original Mad Max)?

I can't think of any source material for this sort of thing, but it certainly sounds cool.

One consequence I can think of is all the focus being on the mechanical, making that engine more powerful and the plane or car more streamlined, making the tank cannon faster and the shells more explosive, and thus leading away from advances in the electronic components. So a technological timeline diverging away from any computer age and instead moving towards some sort of zenith of speed and fury.

It sounds like rocketry fits in perfectly in this sort of world so perhaps space travel despite limited computing capabilities? Big grimy looking rockets with manual controls, stuff like that. Their equivalent to supersonic jets might not be the sleek silver specters of the 50's but instead a rocket with wings flown by a thrillseeking pilot.

The simple addition of the suffix 'punk' is an easy way of creating instant themes for timelines: Atompunk, Biopunk, Xenopunk, Ecopunk, Egyptopunk, Francopunk... the list is endless.

The Eastern Front, Late 1941:

"Mein Oberst, a radio message has arrived from OKH saying the Spanish volunteers from the Blue Division should be arriving today. But there's one thing I do not understand..."
"...yes, what is it?"
"...well, Herr Oberst, the message says they will be arriving in their own "war machines". I thought they were infantry soldiers?"
What had been a barely perceptible hum in the background of the artillery fire became a deafening roar as five mechanical men, twenty meters tall each, pass over the German positions at enormous speed...

Red berets on their heads, and what looked like thin moustaches on the ever smiling lips of these metal colossi, their torsos painted blue, on the right side of the chest in red the yoke and arrows of Falange, on the left a Sacred Heart pulsing fire and red, shooting at the Russian positions with giant hand held mortars...

And then a single one, carrying a thirty meter tall Spanish Flag, landed, planted it, did a Roman salute and after a pause with a booming voice from some unseen tannoy said:

"coño Romerales, que al que tienen que oir es a usted traduciendo lo que le diga yo al alemán, no a mi, ponga el cable en el otro agujero, ese de..."(1)

...and then in oddly accented German (2)

"Impegial salutations fgom the Blue Division! Lieutenant Genegal Agustin Muñoz Ggrandes and his pegsonal guard pgesenting themselves fog duty! Soggy for the inconvenience, the rest of the Division will be arriving in a few minutes. Long Live Fganco! Death to the Bolsheviks! Aggiva España!"

FROM INSIDE THE SECRET BASE AT THE VALLEY OF THE FALLEN,
- BUILT UNDER THE VERY NOSES OF THE INTERNATIONAL JUDEO-MASONIC CONSPIRACY-,
THOUSANDS OF MECHANICAL GLADIATORS!!!
READY TO DEFEND THE SPANISH ETERNAL VALUES
AND THE SPANISH UNITY OF DESTINY IN THE UNIVERSE
AS THE SPIRITUAL RESERVE OF THE WEST
FROM THE MENACE OF THE RED HORDE!!!

C&C:C! Red Alert 4: Command And Conquer:Caudillo!

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present you with... FrancoPunk!

(You could do an Italian version but rather than DucePunk, it should be called something like Fascismo MetalMeccanico (a name which I have the impression would have pleased the Futurists)

(1)Translation "fuck, Romerales, they have to hear you translating what I'm saying into German, not me, put the cable in the other socket, that one..."
(2)Apparently in OTL Muñoz Grandes had a radio operator and German translator who had a speech impediment. His accent was so bad it nearly got its plane shot by the Germans in OTL when asking for clearance to land -they thought it was Russians trying to impersonate German officers-. They used a particular music track played from a record as identification afterwards.