Challenge: Girl-dominated geek culture (or, "No boyz on teh interwebz")

We all know the stereotypical image of us geeks. It's that of a man sitting in his mother's basement, surrounded by comic books, computer screens, and empty bags of Doritos, playing WoW or Counter-Strike while wearing a headset connected to Ventrilo and shouting obscenities, racial and homophobic slurs, and insinuations regarding the mothers of the guys on the other end. He has no friends outside of the internet, will probably never get a girlfriend/wife, and spends his whole day on message boards yelling about how the latest film "raped" Star Trek, or how S*****n was the most ASB bullshit in history and would have been a disaster for the Nazis. (Sorry if I'm hitting too close to home for some of us here.)

Well, my challenge is to flip that image. With a POD no earlier than 1945, make it so that stereotypical "geek culture" -- science fiction, gaming, comic books, 4chan -- is dominated by women, with male geeks being something of a curiosity. I'm not just talking about having both genders being roughly equally represented in geekdom, something that we're starting to see now. I'm talking "no boyz on teh interwebz", as the title so eloquently puts it. Have most of the leading figures in geekdom be women. Have their be demands on 4chan for "dick or GTFO". Bonus points for a POD after 1980, and for a timeline.

One route that I could take for this is to not only have a more successful feminist movement, but to have feminist leaders latching onto technology as a means of liberation. They can point out that, over the past century, modern technology, from vacuum cleaners to microwave ovens, has greatly reduced the average woman's domestic workload, and institutions like schools and day care mean that she doesn't have to do as much work raising a child, thus allowing her to take on a job outside of the house. Science and information technology are fields where the male advantage of physical strength, which has kept men on top for millennia, don't apply, meaning that the playing field is level between men and women. (I would be surprised that they didn't do this in OTL, but then again, nobody saw the computer revolution coming. Back in the '60s, everybody, from politicians to sci-fi writers, was fixated on nuclear technology, space travel, and The Bomb. Indeed, as late as the turn of the millennium, the Internet was seen as a passing fad.) Anyway, in the '70s and '80s, millions of young women start entering science and computer-related fields, forming the bedrock of the industry. Women like Hedy Lamarr, Grace Hopper, and the ENIAC programmers become heroes of the feminist movement.

So far, you've got a computer industry that's not necessarily dominated by women, but one in which they are fairly well-represented as compared to OTL. You don't have anything close to the female domination of geekdom that the challenge asks for. One route I was thinking about with regards to this would be to have the anti-feminist backlash in the '80s somehow extend to the computer industry. Working with computers would be seen as "girly" or "women's work," much like teaching or nursing. However, I don't necessarily know that there would be as much of a backlash in TTL. For one, not as many women are entering traditional male-dominated fields like business, due to the fact that more of them are entering IT, a relatively new field that hasn't been the "domain" of either gender. Also, even if there is something of a backlash, the boom of the IT field in the '80s and '90s would attract just as many men as women, for the same reasons that it did in OTL.

Any other ideas?

Part of the geek stereotype of social ineptitude (and expertise in "hard" fields like mathematics) may come from the prevalence of Asperger's Syndrome and other autism-spectrum disorders.

(I'm not just making excuses for bad social skills here--a friend who goes to Georgia Tech says there's a lot of that there, another friend said there're studies showing that 40% of engineers have autistic-spectrum disorders, and The Bald Impostor's "spergin'" fellow soldier in Iraq seems pretty geeky, with his info-dumping and not being fully aware of his surroundings.)

There are relatively few autistic-spectrum females in comparison.

I could imagine making geek culture more gender egalitarian through "technology as a means of liberation" or a more successful "girls go tech" campaign (this is more recent), but many "geek traits" correspond with a disease that is very male-dominated.

I think it's more a question of psyche than specific PODs. I also think that without earlier cultural changes, even a larger feminist movement wouldn't exactly encourage a change in the geek movement. I mean, sexism still exists in big industries...

Hendryk

Banned
How about an earlier emphasis of the internet as a tool of interpersonal communication? Ever since the invention of the telephone, there has been a cliché about women's ability to have endless phone conversations, and contemporary teenage girls text away on their cell phones with an ease that puts the most hardcore nerd to shame.

One problem is, as Merry pointed out, that the first people to really run away with the possibilities of the internet were obsessive hobbyists (much like us) and that sort of behaviour just isn't as common among women. Hendryk's idea about the interpersonal communication aspect of the web being highlighted first might have some merit but I think the main problem there is that the people in the fields which first made technical use of the web were overwhelmingly male. It took 'til the mid to late 90s for non-techies to be able to use it easily and if it's the province of techies before that you're not going to have that many women unless you can find a POD which gets more women into computer engineering in the early to mid-80s.

And females have traditionally (at least in relatively recent times) tended to fill roles as Librarians. (This is a relatively recent stereotype, but still...)
One minor cultural change- Perhaps a greater emphasis on Barbara Gordon's role as Oracle? (In OTL, she was mostly forgotten after "The Killing Joke", and it's possible that John Ostrander (& the late Kim Yale) put her into Outsiders to give her character a way back into the DCU. If another writer had the same idea...and it got as much media attention as the death of Jason Todd...I'm sure a lot of girls might start picking it up...)