AH Challenge: British Emigration to Scandinavia

With a POD post-Alfred the Great, have a mass immigration of the inhabitants of the British Isles take place to Scandinavia, to the point where Scandinavia is definitely influenced by British culture in its language, genetic makeup, society, etc.

Extra points the later this takes place, and extra points if you make the majority of today's Scandinavian population the descendants of immigrants from the British Isles.

With a POD post-Alfred the Great, have a mass immigration of the inhabitants of the British Isles take place to Scandinavia, to the point where Scandinavia is definitely influenced by British culture in its language, genetic makeup, society, etc.

Extra points the later this takes place, and extra points if you make the majority of today's Scandinavian population the descendants of immigrants from the British Isles.

The reasons that the Danes began moving to England in the first place was largely because of overpopulation, and the soil was too poor for agriculture. What possible reason would cause the inhabitants of Britian to want to settle in Scandinavia?

The reasons that the Danes began moving to England in the first place was largely because of overpopulation, and the soil was too poor for agriculture. What possible reason would cause the inhabitants of Britian to want to settle in Scandinavia?

That's the challenge...:confused:

Well...I just don't see an incentive for them doing this. The only Britons intentionally going to Scandinavia in this period were English and Irish missionaries.

Well...I just don't see an incentive for them doing this. The only Britons intentionally going to Scandinavia in this period were English and Irish missionaries.

It can be any time after the 9th century! Until the present! Surely there is a plausible alternate course of history that causes a British migration to Scandinavia?

Anyway, it's a challenge.

It can be any time after the 9th century! Until the present! Surely there is a plausible alternate course of history that causes a British migration to Scandinavia?

Anyway, it's a challenge.

I'm sorry. Your first post said "post-Alfred the Great" and my mind just latched on to that.

Apart from this, I remain less-than-enthusiastic about the massive immigration to the Scandinavian countries. Their has to be a pretty good economic incentive for going there.

Canute's empire holds together, eventually conducts a Crusade against Sweden, which is again in a Heathen phase. English soldiers who take part in the war are awarded with lands in Sweden.

Is that enough?

Nuclear war devastates Britain. The survivors evacutate to Scandinavia, which was less devastated. You can solve anything with nuclear war.

It's still a weird way to spell the word. For one thing there's no A-sound in the name.
Heh. If you've only just now started to notice that English spelling is wierd...:(:):confused:

English words that start Kn- (Knight, knot, knife, know, ...) have the 'k' silent. Given that, and given that we actually do pronounce the k in Knut, I suspect the spelling evolved to show that the initial consonant wasn't silent.

Since we DON'T use a 'kn' sound combination, it sounds odd, and I actually do hear a weak vowel (a schwa) in between, which sounds a bit more like an 'a' or a 'u' than anything else.

More to the point, "Canute" is the English name of that English king, for what ever crazy historical reasons, but it still is. Since he WAS our king, we at least have more reason to mangle his name than some of the other foreign names (of people and places) that we tend to mangle as badly:)