The Angevin Empire

After reading up on yet another thread devoted to the Hundred Years War and a possible English dominated France, I started looking up the short-lived Angevin Empire of Henry II for a more plausible union of the two lands, and decided to begin a rough TL on it. Any comments, opinions, and links to info are all welcome.

150px-Henry_II_Arms.svg.png

The Angevin Empire
I

The POD comes in 1165 with the son of King Louis VII of France and his Queen, Adele, (the future Philippe II of OTL) being stillborn. This leaves the ageing King Louis with no male heirs, while in 1160, out of pressure from his nominal vassal Henry II of England, he married his daughter Margaret off to Henry the Younger, heir to the English throne.

By the early 1170s Louis, having moved on to his fourth wife in an attempt to gain a male heir, still has no luck though by now he has six daughters. His French vassals, in the form of Flanders, Burgundy and Champagne grow sceptical over the Capetian dynasty's future, while Henry II continues his hawkish harassment of Louis' borders.

Butterflies see Thomas Beckett survive OTL's fatal misunderstanding, although he is still a thorn in Henry II's side, with no murder the English King's prestige is in greater standing particularly with his estranged wife Eleanor of Aquitaine and his sons (in OTL the murder was the final straw, and quickly saw the King's sons begin plots to end his rule). This means no Civil War in 1173; however things aren't all that rosy either.

By the mid-1170s Louis VII is in a pickle, his ever mercurial Dukes are looking to the future and the dashing Henry Younger. Meanwhile now on his fourth marriage and in his fifties, Louis is in need of an heir. He attempts to come to an arrangement with English King's son [1], however he is very aware it is only a matter of years before he sits on the Frankish throne, not to mention heavily counselled by the far more level-headed William Marshal [2]. Instead Louis decides to name his brother Robert of Dreux as co-King in 1176, an anachronistic custom left over from the Caroligians, however it makes Robert the King's heir apparent [3].

The Two Henrys are outraged on hearing of the coronation, calling it an affront to the marriage of 1160. King Henry II starts to muster his troops at Chinon. However Louis, ever a capable schemer, anticipated this and has already organised his campaign. In the north the now co-King Robert leads raiding forces towards Rouen to create a distraction while King Louis advances with all speed into Greater Anjou towards Tours and ultimately the Angevin 'capital', Chinon. The French have also organised a third front in the south, where Raymond of Toulouse and the rebellious barons of Gascony are more than happy to march against their common enemy Richard (Lionheart), Duke of Aquitaine.

The war doesn't go well for brave King Louis however. Although Robert causes plenty of damage to Normandy, Duke Richard lays waste to Raymond and his allies smashing rebel castle after rebel castle before advancing into Toulouse itself in a blitzkreig campaign [4]. In Anjou, Louis and the Two Henrys meet at the Battle of Tours. Although having effectively launched a pre-emptive strike, Louis didn't count on Angevin buying-power and it doesn't take long for the royal household to be reinforced by hardened mercenaries [5]. The Battle is a bloody but decisive victory for the Two Henrys.

Soon things go down hill, Duke Geoffrey of Brittany retakes Rouen, forcing Robert to retreat back to Paris to join with his brother. The Angevins march first on Blois which gives up following only a weeklong seige and then onto Orleans. Louis begins to muster new troops in Paris but his ducal allies are already growing nervous. The Count of Flanders puts off sending additional forces, while after a month seige, Burgundian forces open the gates of Orleans to King Henry. It isn't known if the Duke of Burgundy was involved in the duplicity but he nonetheless sides with Henry as a vast army marches on Paris. Louis and (fatefully) Robert are persuaded to leave for the loyal County of Champagne to organise a relief force for Paris, and hopefully gain Papal support [6].

Unfortunately during the winter of 1178/79 the elderly Louis dies a broken man, ruined by two years of war. Paris is still under seige when news arrives and the Angevin camp hails Henry Younger as the new King of France. At first the Castellan of Paris believes it to be a trick but soon word reaches him from Champagne that Louis is indeed dead. None in the city are sure of Robert's situation and low on munitions and food, the Castellan wavers. Then 'King' Henry Younger, ever charismatic and generous, challenges the defenders to open the gates for their new ruler in return for fair treatment and food. The Castallan gives in and Henry is hailed by the Parisiens.

Robert Dreux claims the throne for himself but soon find himself isolated. Geoffrey of Brittany leads an army into Champagne, forcing the Count to accept Henri as King. Meanwhile the clergy, led by a vocal Thomas Beckett support the young Henry's claim [7], leading to a Papal blessing. Finally in 1180, Henry Younger is crowned Henri II, King of the Franks.

to be continued...

[1] Louis had a knack -and a habit- for turning Henry's sons against him
[2] Butterflies see the vaunted Marshal avoid the intrigues of Prince Henry's court, giving the young fool a bit of grounding
[3] So is Robert or Henry Younger the rightful heir? God knows, medieval succession law wasn't anything if not contradictory.
[4] IOTL as Duke, Richard levelled numerous rebels strongholds in record time and gave the Counts of Toulouse plenty of headaches, however the King of France was always there as their common lord to sort things out. Here, things are obviously different and Richard goes to town.
[5] Henry II relied heavily on mercenary might, partly because he could afford it, though perhaps most importantly the King used mercenary captains as field commanders, his own mediocre tactical skill far outshone by his strategic and administrative mind.
[6] Louis VII was the first French king to really push for intensley close ties with the Papacy, as such he has Pope Alexander III's ear.
[7] Despite the up and down relationship of Beckett and his father, the younger Henry was extremly close to the Archbishop, and as mentioned his murder IOTL did much to cause Henry II's sons to rebel.

Last edited:
This is all kinds of awesome! Keep it up, it's about time the Angevin Empire does something other than fall apart.

Why thanks, I have some broad ideas for where this will go but I'm going to be relying on further reading and feedback, for one I have no intention of an Anglo-French superpower by 1500 anyway.

The Angevin 'Empire' is an interesting thing, Henry II's ultimate plan was for a 'blood federation', or commonwealth of nations so the term Empire is pretty loose really. He focused pretty much entirely on France, giving Geoffrey Brittany, Richard Aquitaine with his first son Henry intent on inheriting Normandy and Anjou (Henry always viewed Anjou as his first dominion at least emotionally). He never really entered England into the equation so ultimately tagged it onto his own lands. He also hoped to place John as a vassal-king of Ireland but by the time he finally got round to it, his fourth son was a the terrible brat history remembers him.

With actual Ile-de-France now in the Angevin sphere things are going to be different. Although Henry II wanted to dominate France he probably never anticipated being in a position for his family to completely control it. While Henry the Younger, oh my! A vain, lazy yet charming dandy for lack of a better word, having him technically in lordship over his father and particularly Richard (despite the established primogeniture law, he refused to acknowledge him as his better) will cause some hiccups at least.

I'm enjoying this, great read. There aren't a lot of medieval TLs around. :)

As this is an 'Angevin' empire, what effect will this have linguistically and culturally? The English aristocracy were essentially French speaking Normans, and the English parliament didn't use English as it's language until the 1400s IIRC. With France and England merging much sooner, won't it essentially submerge England into the French culturally sphere?

It will also prove interesting for French law, as they weren't formally followers of the Salic Succession until the Capetian dynasty suddenly fell over in the early 14th century.

Definately keep it up. :)

The Professor: Haha, by all means, with a twenty year difference in PODs I'm sure we'll come to some interesting and very divergent results.

DrakeRlugia: The Anglo-French relationship will be a tricky one. After all if Henry Younger suceeds his father he wont be the ruler of a massive superstate, but of seperate kingdoms. Butterflies will do havoc to the development of both English and French identity. For one no Hundred Years War (at least as we know it) means no early forming of a strong rivalry, or distinct identities. As you mentioned the aristocracy didn't speak English at court until the 14th century under Edward III, and then it was arguably a political move to cement his Kingdom.

My POD, the stillbirth of Philip Capet isn't merely an instigator of French weakness, but it removes the man who basically wiped out the Angevin continental empire within a generation (his opponent was King John, what do you expect?). In OTL the Plantagenets had over a century were they're sole Kingdom was England (plus a bit of Gascony), so that led to a lot more internal development, plus saw the likes of Edward I focus on crushing Wales, Ireland and Scotland. Here at least for the time being they have the vast potential of France to focus on, so who knows I'm winging it quite a bit to be honest. :p

I like the idea. I feel that we would end up with several strongly connected Duchies/Kingdoms:

-Aquitane
-Brittany
-Normany/Anjou
-France proper
-England

Wales would definately be added, and with no France, Scotland may be forced into the English sphere

If you intend for Richard to succeed Henry II ITTL, would his participation in the Third Crusade still occur? And how will this Royal Angevin Federation measure up to the Holy Roman Empire?

Dont forget Flanders and Brabant, these where territories used by the English as raider basses. (They where allied after all) Its easy for such a powerfull nation to get these areas in their sphere. Flanders is dependent on the wool import from England for an important part of its economy.

150px-Henry_II_Arms.svg.png

The Angevin Empire
II

The coronation of Henry Younger as King of France is a watershed in European history. The Plantagenet family in 1180 collectively ruled from Berwick in the north to the Pyrenees in the south over the most populous and wealthy realm in Christendom.

However the blood ties of the Angevin Empire proved a major source bitterness. Following his coronation, Henri II of France called upon his vassals to show their fealty. Along with the lords of Flanders, Burgundy, Toulouse and Champagne, Henri's father and brothers were also called upon to show their vassalage. Henry II of England, his father, was the first to do so, and was followed by Geoffrey, Duke of Brittany and young Prince John. However Richard, Duke of Aquitaine refused to pay homage to Henri, only going as far as to claim his loyalty to the crown of the Franks [1]. With the pretender Robert of Dreux still attempting to drum up support this was almost an inflammatory remark. Henri II threatened his brother with reprisal, while their father desperately tried to solve the matter.

Richard attampted to flee to Chinon and raise an army, however Archbishop Thomas of Canterbury and William Marshal intervened to organise a meeting between the two brothers in March. After much heated debate Richard agreed to accept Henri as his lord, in return for him dropping his claim to England, Normandy and Anjou. The French King flat out refused, while the mediators likewise saw this as impossible. Despite offers of gold, Richard would accept only his own terms, if Henri was to be a King, so was he.

In 1181 after months of negotiation and delay, Richard raised an army in Aquitaine, intent on conquering Greater Anjou, the home of the Plantegenets. Despite defeating Geoffrey's Bretons at Parthenay, ultimately his enterprise was doomed to failure. The ever-independently minded barons of Gascony and Angloume refused to join their Duke's rebellion, while the combined forces of the Two Henrys greatly outnumbered Richard. Nonetheless the Duke launched a brutal campaign across Anjou and Touraine, sacking over a dozen towns and castles loyal to the Kings. Finally however he was brought to open battle at the strategic cross-road town of Loudun in September. Outnumbered 3-1, Richard's forces were scattered.

At King Henry's fortress at Chinon, Richard arrived and begged forgiveness for his actions [2]. His brother Henri, previously enraged by his brother now seemed happy to organise an understanding [3]. It was decided that Richard would as he had originally intended, swear his submission to the rightful King of the Franks, thereby satisfying the pride of both brothers. However this wouldn't stop Henri interfering on behalf of his friend Raymond, Count of Toulouse in his numerous border skirmishes with Richard.

Henri II of France also proved an irretant to his father when in 1183, he promised Duke Geoffrey of Brittany the Duchy of Normandy on the death of their father. Henry was furious at such dealings over his lands (although in his fifties, Henry was very much alive) and threatened to hand Normandy over to his favourite, John. However in a brief coalition, Henri, Richard and Geoffrey all warned their father against such a move. Such machinations greatly frustrated the English King who suffered numerous rages at the interference of his lazy and ungrateful son as his legal lord. The fact Henri used the wealth and power of the French throne purely to organise expensive jousting tournaments [4] while the diligent William Marshal effectively ran the Kingdom could have only added to the English King's foul mood.

Then in 1185, a mission led by Patriarch Heraclius of Jerusalem arrived at Chinon, requesting Angevin aid. He brought with him the gold banner of the Kingdom of Jerusalem and the keys to the Tower of David, the royal residence in the Holy City. He beseeched Henry II of England to take the crown of Jersualem [5]. Henry despite offering them gold and a crusade, failed to satisfy the holy man "I would take a penniless prince over gold without - we need a prince". Henry simply would not accept, he had no allussions over what his abdication would cause to his the Plantagenet empire, and was intent on policing his sons. Henri II as well offered a glorious crusade against the rising forces of Saladin, but would not abandon his future realms.

It was then that the Two Henrys suggested Richard for the role. A keen soldier having long sought to go on crusade and with unsatisfied dreams of kingship, the Duke of Aquitaine seemed the perfect candidate. However he viewed the suggestion suspiciously, believing it a trick by Henri to steal his lands. At the same it was a tempting possibility, King of the Holy Lands. Eventually an agreement was made. The Two Henrys and Richard would go on crusade together (to ensure no-one remained behind to take advantage). Meanwhile Queen Eleanor, the family's estranged matriarch but extremly close to Richard, would act as regent over Aquitaine. Although Richard would not officially abdicate his Dukedom, he intended to rule Jerusalem directly, and along with Eleanor, his second son Peter would stay behind, while his wife Margaret of Flanders and first son Henry would come with him [6].

So in early 1186 the Kings of England, France and would-be King of Jerusalem set out from Marseilles with the Third Crusade.

to be continued...

[1] Richard as a brave bold warrior with an ego the size of Notre Dame, never accepted his older brother, a carefree wasting fop, as his superior. Even now as his actual in law, lord I still can't see Richard bowing to him.
[2] Henry II of England constantly accepted the apologies of his sons after smashing their rebellions.
[3] Young Henry was easy to offend but he was also very laidback and and generous. Following the defeat of Richard, he probably couldn't give a toss about the initial argument.
[4] For all his faults, Young Henry was very much the epitome of a knight, writing poetry about fair maidens, winning countless jousts and very generous to all. I can imagine the poor of Paris would recieve much charity under his reign.
[5] This happened also in OTL, although butterflies will have changed some details of the Holy Land, for instance King Amalric may have died later on, ultimately his leperous son has still come to the throne, and the big wigs are looking for a strong successor. Henry II was their first choice because of his long record in keeping the Angevin Empire together, ITTL he's even more successful so I doubt Heraclius would go anywhere else.
[6] ITTL due to the succession crisis Louis VII doesn't hand over another daughter to the Angevins. Instead Henry II organises Richard to marry the Count of Flanders' sister in 1169. His dad doesn't try to get his leg over, and the royal couple sire quite a few offspring.​

Last edited:
So will we see a Roman Catholic England!:D and what an empire you can create in the 1600s!!! oh i hope this becomes a wank:D :D

Alex Richards: More or less yes, though I have some plans that might diverge from your idea. How the 'empire' interacts with the rest of the British Isles is a bit more up in the air. Henry II by 1180 had devastated the Scots in battle, made King William pay homage and had a grip on Scotland south of the Firth, however here without the Civil War, William never invades northern England which means the Scots are free of Angevin influence. Also, although France is now in their hands, that doesn't mean continental affairs are finished, the Angevins have simply inherited French relations and problems with Flanders, the Holy Roman Empire and the Papacy. This might mean Ireland and Scotland will have a far freer hand into the future (Wales however is doomed to English annexation IMO, it might just take a little longer).

One of the main strands I've ignored until now is John's position. Henry II's favourite he tried two plans to give him a powerful position. First was marrying him into the House of Savoy, to extend Angevin power beyond the Alps. However IOTL, the bride died on her way to England. There was also the attempt to make him King of Ireland but the Papacy held up matters and he went as Lord of Ireland ten years late, by which time he'd become a wealthy brat without responsibility. I'm tempted by both paths but we'll see.

Mr Stereo1: Why thank you. How far or long the Empire lasts, even I don't really know!

Lysandros Aikiedes: As the second installment shows, I have other plans for Richard. A 3rd Crusade will happen but it will very different from OTL. I'm sure its only a matter of time before the Angevins cross swords with the HRE, however the Papacy will be central to any dispute, and the Plantagenets had a very different view of Papal power to the Capets and Valois', so it should get very interesting.

Promethean: Yes, I need to read up a bit on the Flemish and wool trade. IOTL they were natural allies of the English against France, but here such a distinction does not really exist, so again an key divergent I need to look in to.

Germaniac: I'm flattered, hopefully I can live up to your expectations.

Supermanboy: Whoah there! We're not even into the 1200s yet, and I'm sorry but this will not be a wank, not intentionally anyway! Remember there is a differance between the Angevin dynasty and the Kingdom of England. The English were always keen on relatively loose relations to Rome, while in OTL the French sort extremly close bonds. Both had political and theological reasons for this, and with a common ruling dynasty that in general sort strong secular power, it will interesting to see which, if any, national approach comes to dominate.

Last edited:
Guy de Lusignan was actually banished from Aquitaine in 1168 by Eleanor, Richards mother, for murdering Patrick of Salisbury. And as Sybilla took the throne of Jerusalem in August of 1186 after her son's (Baldwin V) death, there is no chance of a marriage happening between her and Guy de Lusignan. Will Guy just fade into obscurity in TTL?

Actually given the timing William of Sicily will almost certainly join the Third Crusade, he was organising just that IOTL before his death, with his fleet clearing the Eastern Mediterranean of Egyptian ships and putting off the Byzantines from possibly interfering. As such Richard probably wont be ransacking the island but given the Norman connection, theres a chance for future interference. Sicily was seen as a rising power, and key to Catholic influence in the Holy Lands so if things don't go down hill there, dynastic unions might be on the cards.

Not too sure on Guy, after all the murder might not have even taken place ITTL and as you said poor young Baldwin wont be given the task of King here, though some Levantine barons may try and use him for political reasons. However with the likes of Raymond de Chatillon, and the lords of Tripoli and Antioch floating around, theres plenty of colourful characters to get in Richard's way.

I'm writing up the Crusade now, but as with any medieval TL, the morass of titles, names and archaic institutions is all making it a bit of a mess. This is a draft TL so corrections and suggestions are welcome.

Bold Stuff

Excellent! See also scribd.com/vikingsaga

The Angevins were in the wrong place at the wrong time ...

I think you're being to hard on King John. The incompetent playboy we all know and laugh at is very much a creation of Sir Walter Scott. John was a very competent ruler who suffered because he wasn't as militarily skilled as his brothers.