North America with Another 500 Years

Admiral Matt

Gone Fishin'
Suppose Europe suffers some huge damage or distraction at the outset of the age of exploration, say around 1400, that forces the continent to turn inwards (or face some *waves hand* Threat From The East). Fourteen hundred is early enough that the proper POD would cut off the Portuguese who were the drivers behind the whole process for the critical first century.

Critical, of course, because for most of it the returns were marginal, and for long failed to inspire competition.

Whatever the cause, Europe and Asia and everybody-else-you-were-about-to-say, has no involvement with the Americas for a further half millenium beyond OTL. What then?

Some preliminary thoughts:

North America was very much a continent in flux at the time. In the old civilized centers, it seems likely that a succession of relatively short-lived Nahuatl empires would continue to dominate the Valley of Mexico, shifting at least every hundred years or so, but maintaining some level of continuity with previous empires as in the Triple Alliance. The Tarascans to their west would continue to be hereditary opponents. This would last at least until the next major outside invasions.

Such invasions were probably inevitable. The Mixtecs to the northeast seem to have had a lead on most of Mexico in military, and a deficit in political organization. The Mexica (Aztecs) were themselves the descendants of the most recent invasions from the northwest, and far from the first. The west coast of Mexico north of the Tarascans appears to have played a similar role for the Ute-Nahuans to that of the Eurasian steppe for the Turkic peoples, and Indo-Europeans before them. A war fought near the southern fringes of the modern US would drive the losing tribe south to merge with or conquer the next tribe in line, the resulting ripple effect reaching into the Vally of Mexico.

That trend might even accelerate, as the Apache, who were living somewhere near the far end of the domino effect, seem to have developed bow technology superior to any of their neighbors, and were poised to undergo expansion. There also seem to have been in the Arizona/New Mexico region dogs bred large (by American standards) to draw travois, which again could increase a trend toward volkswanderung.

Further east, the Mayans would eventually have stumbled out of their dark age and experienced a revival - possibly under the rule of a class of foreign kings. I am imagining something akin to the Mitanni here, but honestly the evidence suggests that even the first Mayan golden age was initiated by invasion by a foreign conqueror. I should probably emphasize that I don't mean incorporation into the western empires. Given the canoe-and-shoulder logistics of the empires of the Valley I believe they were too far away to exert control. Instead I suspect large Mayan states to reappear (whatever their rulers), with slightly better social structures for maintaining the soil and surviving ecological turbulence. Part of this process would likely include a gradual, continued demographic expansion over the native peoples of Honduras and El Salvador.

What really interests me, however is the eastern (and perforce, northern) half of the continent. The Mississipi and Ohio river valleys, Alabama and Georgia, were all rife with the sort of village urbanization and burial prestige projects that predated civilizations the world over. You can see similar developments in the Middle Eastern highlands before the first Sumerian state, in Egypt leading up to the Two Kingdoms, northern China before the first empire (which still practiced human sacrifice), and.... Ireland, just before nothing happened forever.

So fine, such developments aren't always two steps ahead of empire, but the broad trend does head in a clear direction. Corn had spread through the North American interior, and with it the odd Mexican crop. On top of that the locals had domesticated their own plants, and had had the domesticated turkey for as much as 2,000 years before Columbus, about as long as the Meso-Americans. There's also the use of copper around Lake Superior to consider. I've never found a really certain source on whether the Old Copper Complex went under naturally before Europeans arrived on the scene, or if it collapsed in the diseases and reorganizations of their presence. Either way, though, there is still a lot of easy to find, easy to work copper sitting in Wisconsin, just waiting for someone to have a lot of corn, and thus a lot of time on their hands.

I think we could expect a diffuse sort of Copper Age gradually spanning the Mississippi and St. Lawrence basins. Copper at least would be something the Meso-Americans never properly developed. On top of that, 500 years could net us a scattering of Olmec-scale or maybe Indus-level civilizations. That wouldn't matter too much, except that at a certain size, such states could conceivably be conquered and assimilated in one go as happened in Mexico and Peru, instead of being out-bred and brushed aside.

An examination of the zone around the Appalachians would also be of interest. In OTL, the Iroquoian peoples seem to have been on the losing side of history until corn became available. They inhabited at least the span from upstate New York to the southern tip of the Appalachians, where the first explorers placed the Cherokee. A range that big strongly argues that they had once been the dominant linguistic group east of the Mississippi. Unfortunately, it's also suggestive that there were so few populations away from the mountains. Only the Tuscarora seem certain to have been flatlanders, and their backs were to the foothills. As a rule, mountainous areas are the last refuge of remnant peoples, as witness the Welsh, and Basques, and Albanians.

Corn, and later the epidemics, turned things around. The Iroquoian presence in Ontario and along the St. Lawrence, seems to have been the result of colonization only a few hundred years previous. The St. Lawrence river valley was prime farmland, and the Algonquins on it were still hunter-gatherers. That sort of situation goes only one way. On top of these trends, the Iroquoians seem to have responded to the increase in military conflict brought by corn cultivation by formalizing tribal political federations into potentially very strong units. The Iroquois are the obvious example, but the Huron seem to have had a similar system as well.

That would all still happen, possibly guaranteeing the north Iroquoians a future, but I am not certain. Anyway, the southern Iroquoians are the real question. Isolation in the mountains suddenly became an advantage when the plagues started coming through. Without them, the Cherokee are stuck in the mountains unless they migrate piece-meal toward other Iroquoian groups.

Hrm.... that's all I've got. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Lenape

Lenape

The "Lenape", pronounced IPA: /lɛnəpi/, /lɛnapeɪ/, or /ləˈnɑpi/ in English, means "the people." Sometimes the name is spelled Lenape or Lenapi. Also known as the Lenni Lenape the "true people" or as the "Delaware Indians", they are organized bands of Native American peoples with shared cultural and linguistic characteristics. The name Delaware is given to almost all the Lenape people living along the Delaware River, which was named after Lord De La Warr, the governor of the Jamestown settlement.

At the time of European contact in the 16th and 17th centuries, the Lenape lived in the area known as Lenapehoking, roughly the area around and between the Delaware and lower Hudson Rivers. This encompassed what is now the U.S. state of New Jersey, eastern Pennsylvania around the Delaware Valley, the north shore of Delaware, and southern New York, especially the Hudson Valley and New York Harbor. They spoke two related languages in the Algonquian subfamily, collectively known as the Delaware languages: Unami and Munsee.

Lenape society was organized into clans determined by matrilineal descent. Territory was collective, but divided by clan. At the time of European contact the Lenape practiced large-scale agriculture, their primary crop being maize, and also practiced hunting and the harvesting of seafood. They were primarily sedentary, moving to different established campsites by season.
The contact with the Finns of New Sweden, was relatively Peaceful, with both Groups considering each other as -Simply New Tribes- That acted a lot alike.

The Lenape were not the only Sedentary Agriculture Grouping, I think that given another couple hundred Years, they [American Tribes] all would be just like any Tribe on the Fringe of Europe. Except for the Stone age tools.

Its worth noting that the mesoamericans were on the verge of a bronze age, with the Tarascans already having a significant bronze technologies.

Also, contact between North and South America is I think is very close to happening.

Suppose Europe suffers some huge damage or distraction at the outset of the age of exploration, say around 1400, that forces the continent to turn inwards (or face some *waves hand* Threat From The East). Fourteen hundred is early enough that the proper POD would cut off the Portuguese who were the drivers behind the whole process for the critical first century.

Critical, of course, because for most of it the returns were marginal, and for long failed to inspire competition.

Whatever the cause, Europe and Asia and everybody-else-you-were-about-to-say, has no involvement with the Americas for a further half millenium beyond OTL. What then?

I don't see how. While a plague or an invasion from the east may keep Europe away for quite awhile, I don't see how it could stop others from coming.

Polynesians had been coming for centuries. Their DNA is found in five tribes across the Pacific coast, from Chile to British Columbia. They also brought chickens and sweet potatos to S America.

Africans very likely came to the Caribbean and elsewhere. Metal alloys called guanine were found in both W Africa and the Caribbean, and some of the earliest Spanish accounts report Africans.

And Inuits had been traveling, tradings, and intermarrying across the Arctic Circle for as long as anyone can trace. How could one come up with a POD that would stop all three of these migrations?

I'm generally pretty wary of any attempt to depict the Americas as almost surrounded by an invisible force field until Columbus pierces it. It seems as though too many people (not you, but others) want to depict the Americas as trapped in a timeless state until whites come.

I'd argue that while Europeans may have held off coming, their tech will still make it here. It may come to the Americas indirectly through African or Arab traders. Certainly once guns start to be traded in Africa they will eventually make their way to the Americas, and civilizations in Mesoamerica will certainly have no problem making their own. Andean cultures also, and perhaps Iroquoian. The Mohawks have long been some amazing ironworkers.

I'd also expect Polynesian boatmaking and navigation techniques will spread far more in five centuries. So if a Columbus finally lands in the Americas in 1992, he will find people who can meet his guns with their own guns. And the Indians will almost certainly have already made their own voyages to Africa and Polynesia already, perhaps even to Europe.

Admiral Matt

Gone Fishin'
The contact with the Finns of New Sweden, was relatively Peaceful, with both Groups considering each other as -Simply New Tribes- That acted a lot alike.

The Lenape were not the only Sedentary Agriculture Grouping, I think that given another couple hundred Years, they [American Tribes] all would be just like any Tribe on the Fringe of Europe. Except for the Stone age tools.

Hrm.... I don't see it.

The Europeans had more advanced technology in nearly every category, a higher population, vastly better crop and animal packages, and were even innovating at a much faster rate. Without contact, the Native Peoples will fall even further behind the rest of the world (with the obvious exception of countries ruined by the POD so they wouldn't go exploring).

I'm not sure what your point with the Lenape is. By the time of European arrival, virtually every group from eastern Texas to southern Maine was practicing farming at that level or higher.

The Swedish-Delaware relations are interesting, but let's not conflate fair-dealings with technological parity. Heck, even the Komi or Saami would likely have carved out empires for themselves if dropped in New England in sufficient numbers. The gap was just huge.

Last edited:

Admiral Matt

Gone Fishin'
Its worth noting that the mesoamericans were on the verge of a bronze age, with the Tarascans already having a significant bronze technologies.

Also, contact between North and South America is I think is very close to happening.

I'd forgotten that.

As to intercontinental contact, I dunno. The Incans were expanding into the city-states of southwestern Colombia, so distant trade links might form, but I'm not convinced that close contact or technological exchange were imminent.

Admiral Matt

Gone Fishin'
Poop. Tried to reply to myself without paying attention, and edited away my own post. Nuts.

Last edited:

Valdemar II

Banned

I wouldn't accept AmIndHistoryAuthors sources, he seem to lack the ability to distinguish between between crackpots and serious historians.

I find your idea interesting, of course you need to find a POD for why the European doesn't find America. One could be a more serious Black Plague one which has a killing range of 80-90%, it would force the Euroasians to use centuries to repopulate Euroasia.

Firstly I don't think no involvement would be possible. Simply with the depletion of fish stocks Europeans were already making regular stops across the atlantic. Not to mention whaling which would bring Europeans out even more. but aside from that:

I think if the Tarrascans were to pull a bronze age revolution during the 500 years the first people to adopt would be the Californians and the South Western tribes. These were extremely large population centers living sedentary lifestyles and also key trade points with the rest of the North American Continent.

Also South America! The Incas would go the way of the Dodo I presume, they were having problems holding it together in the first place. Here is a theory though with very little backing: perhaps as central authority dies out the masses of manpower available dwindle as well (similar to the argument slavery in Rome stopped the use of steam power) so as local powers reassert themselves new ideas develop to save labor. Like the wheel mainly, but also its implications, water wheels, wind meals, or even alpaca meals. This creates a very wealthy middle class and soon a commercial revolution! Trade with the rest of South America and probably north America would follow as well.

The Incas weren't the only Natives of note in South America, the Amazonian was well populated with great agriculturalists, and the Guaymaras are important too. But I don't know the minuscule amount that I would need to even begin to speculate.

Heck, even the Komi or Saami would likely have carved out empires for themselves if dropped in New England in sufficient numbers. The gap was just huge.

One way of looking at this 500-year grace period is that the best-placed American tribes can catch up to the Saami. Or rather, catch up to 1492-Saami. Unless you have a pretty draconian POD in mind, when alt.Europe finally discovers America in 1992, it's going to be much, much more advanced than Columbus's Europe. It's possible Europe could even experience an Industrial Revolution without the boost that the Age of Exploration provided in OTL. If that happens, then it's still essentially game over for the Americans. As you say, the gap was just huge.

One way of looking at this 500-year grace period is that the best-placed American tribes can catch up to the Saami. Or rather, catch up to 1492-Saami. Unless you have a pretty draconian POD in mind, when alt.Europe finally discovers America in 1992, it's going to be much, much more advanced than Columbus's Europe. It's possible Europe could even experience an Industrial Revolution without the boost that the Age of Exploration provided in OTL. If that happens, then it's still essentially game over for the Americans. As you say, the gap was just huge.

Industrial Revolution doesn't mean instant conquest. Look at China, Persia, or Ethiopia. 500 years for the Amerindians doesn't just mean scientific or population differences, it also means political differences. In OTL the Iroquois confederation was formed almost too late to make any difference. But if there is political unity during those 500 years under some centralized power the Europeans would not have such an easy time, whether they have machine guns or not. Political unity counts for a lot when involving survival as a people. The amerindians did not have that OTL. I disagree that Guns Germs and Steel are the only things that make a difference in domination, they do make a huge difference and no doubt the Europeans would have an upper hand. The problem is political developments are really hard to predict as AH, and often they seem like simple hand waving fiction.

Further east, the Mayans would eventually have stumbled out of their dark age and experienced a revival - possibly under the rule of a class of foreign kings. I am imagining something akin to the Mitanni here, but honestly the evidence suggests that even the first Mayan golden age was initiated by invasion by a foreign conqueror. I should probably emphasize that I don't mean incorporation into the western empires. Given the canoe-and-shoulder logistics of the empires of the Valley I believe they were too far away to exert control. Instead I suspect large Mayan states to reappear (whatever their rulers), with slightly better social structures for maintaining the soil and surviving ecological turbulence. Part of this process would likely include a gradual, continued demographic expansion over the native peoples of Honduras and El Salvador.
If by the first golden age, you're referring to the Mexican incursions in the Early Classic by Siyah K'ak', then you might be mistaken as it is highly debatable whether the advances are purely thanks to him or coincidental. The only sure thing is that he got the Mayans to advance militarily. Concerning a Maya renaissance, it's possible but you'd have to end the conflicts between the Cocom and Tutul Xiu if you want any stability in the region. Although there were about 18 or 16 independent states, they could unify under a somewhat religious ruler, the Lord of the Katun, chosen among the governors of the most prestigious cities. This guy was the most powerful person in Postclassic Yucatan, although he ruled for only 20 years before another was chosen.

But you are right about them getting better soil techniques, they already learned from their mistakes. The Postclassic Maya made less colossal structures which took lots of stucco to make. They could easily advance even more, and as you said expand their "empire" through trade beyond the Ulua rivers in Honduras. Also, it is highly probable that the civilizations of the American Southeast will advance to the level of Mesoamericans, probably with Mayan contacts as they were the most renowned seafarers in the area. Literacy via the Mayan script would spread after the so-called Renaissance, as it is partially syllabic than the Mexican scripts and therefore more adaptable.

As the major copper users of Mesoamerica were the Maya (they used copper weapons and made much jewelry from copper) and the Tarascans, it is likely that they'd dominate the area, although what happens to the Nahua and Central Americans after the likely fall of the Mexica is debatable. The Mexica however are not likely to keep the Triple Alliance together, or at least not Mexica-dominated. You can't keep a tributary empire together by threats of destruction for too long. Although the Tlaxcalan Alliance is more likely to fall first to the Mexica, who would then likely fall apart from the inside.

Northern America is likely to see the spread of Mississippian influences, and through them Mesoamerican influences. Bronze weapons however might not be as popular as other things as it is harder for semi-nomadic people to use due to the time it takes. Either way, the existence of the Plains people as we know them are completely butterflied away. The Sioux and Cheyenne and others did exist, but they were farming folk, not the horse culture so highly revered by Americans.

As noted by others, Amazonians are also likely to rise to greatness, more so than the Inca. While the Inca rulers die away and the empire splits apart, the Amazonians are gonna keep on living the high life with their advanced agricultural techniques.

I wouldn't accept AmIndHistoryAuthors sources, he seem to lack the ability to distinguish between between crackpots and serious historians.

Actually I make my living doing just that. Seemingly to you... nonEurocentric=crackpot

Take a look at just a few of these so called crackpot sources. How about the National Academy of Sciences for a start?

http://www.pnas.org/content/104/25/10335.abstract

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v447/n7145/full/447620b.html

Oh yeah, real nuts....(sarcasm off).

BTW, any good historian today tries to be multidisciplinary. So I do my best to keep up with other fields that affect my own.

That doesn't mean these topics don't generate a lot of fluff, esp from the Afrocentrics and New Age cults like the Washitaws and Erie Moundbuilders. But don't lump me in with them. I spend a good deal of time arguing with them also, trying to undo the damage they do.
http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=2137.0

And to Matt, I'll answer you in more detail when I get more time. For now I felt I had to quickly respond because I just don't like seeing the closeminded smear me when they don't know what they're talking about.

Last edited:
Industrial Revolution doesn't mean instant conquest. Look at China, Persia, or Ethiopia.
China and Persia had late-Medieval technology when the Europeans first started playing with imperialism. The Ethiopians occupied some of the most impassible terrain in the world, and were usually united under a charismatic, Christian leader. All three were in a position to fend for themselves, and all three had more than a 500-year edge on the Native Americans.

AmIndHistoryAuthor: I will gladly grant you that pre-Columbian introduction of chickens would be a big deal. But I think that the inter-continental contacts have to be on that level or greater -- that is, the introduction of an obviously valuable and self-sustainable improvement. Anything less, like the occassional Arabian merchant, and it's just not going to be enough to make any difference for the Americas once the colonial assault arrives ITTL in alt-1992.

I definitely agree with you on the issue of the Southwest Volkswanderung, I think that seeing what would happen to the pueblo people without European intervention would be very interesting. The Spanish protected the pueblo peoples from the Apache, but were also very bad at it, and probably weakened their native defenses, so their eventual fate in my mind seems highly unclear.

I really do think that North-South America were very close to contact with reach other, if indirectly. I tihnk the most important part will be the spread of Andean mountain crops into North America, which will allow greater densities, particularly in Mesoamerica and the Southwest. Llamas may also cross, but I find that unlikely.

The Eastern part of North America is interesting, and I also agree that copper is bound to become more common. We can also states and proto-states rapidly developing there, like the Powhatan confederacy (something like that is likely to happen I think in the Tidewater) and, we also see the Iroquois and others. I really think that tremendous strides will be made there and with 500 years extra, theres a number of interesting possibilities.

interseting stuff what if the aztecs held off cartes or whoever conquered them and then they sent back storyie of powerful tribes and so the europeans come peacfully and trys to trade and they trade with the indians when they try to colonise they americans indian fight them off and we have a strong america

King Thomas

Banned
When the Westerners come, the Native Americans will still be smashed by disease and gunfire. It would be like aliens with supertech coming to Earth.

When the Westerners come, the Native Americans will still be smashed by disease and gunfire. It would be like aliens with supertech coming to Earth.

I fail to see aliens as new conquistadors. Any invasion would be unstoppable and likely never resort to ground-level melees. Why attack on the ground when you can wipe out all major urban centers and thus a huge chunk of the human population from above?

And as to the OP:

I see the absence of major colonization of America from Europe as having a major impact on Europe as well. No potatoes means parts of Europe will still be rather underpopulated. Italy with no tomatoes. Europeans still rather authoritarian for centuries longer.

Admiral Matt

Gone Fishin'
Firstly I don't think no involvement would be possible. Simply with the depletion of fish stocks Europeans were already making regular stops across the atlantic. Not to mention whaling which would bring Europeans out even more. but aside from that:

Well, it honestly might take a major population collapse in Europe to bring this about. I suppose there's no arguing that. Such a collapse would work two ways - not only would their be less demand behind the fishing to pull people to the coast of Newfoundland, there would also be some opportunity for fishing stocks nearer to home to breed back.

I think if the Tarrascans were to pull a bronze age revolution during the 500 years the first people to adopt would be the Californians and the South Western tribes. These were extremely large population centers living sedentary lifestyles and also key trade points with the rest of the North American Continent.

Ehh.... Well, obviously the Aztecs and Mayans would be the first, but sure after them the southwestern tribes are the most connected. California I'm not sure about at all. In OTL it seems to have been extremely isolated from the Meso-American world, even compared with the Pueblo.

Also South America! The Incas would go the way of the Dodo I presume, they were having problems holding it together in the first place. Here is a theory though with very little backing: perhaps as central authority dies out the masses of manpower available dwindle as well (similar to the argument slavery in Rome stopped the use of steam power) so as local powers reassert themselves new ideas develop to save labor. Like the wheel mainly, but also its implications, water wheels, wind meals, or even alpaca meals. This creates a very wealthy middle class and soon a commercial revolution! Trade with the rest of South America and probably north America would follow as well.

Forse. It wouldn't be much of a much by the standards of the rest of the world (though just applying the fricking wheel would help a lot), but a commercial revolution is practical enough.

The Incas weren't the only Natives of note in South America, the Amazonian was well populated with great agriculturalists, and the Guaymaras are important too. But I don't know the minuscule amount that I would need to even begin to speculate.

Well.... There's a reason you still find large Quecha-speaking regions in Peru and Bolivia, but in the Amazon everyone native has ended up in tiny tribal hunting groups. The urbanized cultures of the Amazon Basin were much newer and smaller, and hence more fragile. They could and would come a long way in a half millenium, but it isn't a given that they'd come far enough. Collapse under the plagues and cultural extinction are still fairly likely, methinks.