Alternate National Anthems

((I know that this fits under both After 1900 and Before 1900, but WTH))

Some Alternate National Anthems that I think would be great include...

Rule Britania - The United Kingdom
God Bless America - The United States of America

The Maple Leaf Forever

• Written by a true Canadian Patriot who fought for Canada.

Instead of

Oh Canada

• A dreary tune written by a guy who fought for the Union in the US Civil War.

O Fortuna for Germany?

Wish they would use movie film scores. Basil Poledouris' Conan the Barbarian soundtrack or his Hymn to Red October, Conquest of Paradise by Vangelis, the Glory soundtrack by James Horner. Admitted some of those aren't easy to sing.

America The Beautiful would make a fine national anthem. (It's practically our un-official second national anthem as it stands, so...)

Rule Britannia is a bit to bombastic for Britain how about "I vow to the my country" which was actually the national anthem of Guyana.

There is an alternative national anthem for America "This land is your land this land is my land" which although written by Woody Guthrie is now sung at Republican conventions minues two verses. The Americans nearly adopted the tune of the British national anthem "My land tis of thee". "God bless America" sounds a bit twee and may technically violate the constitution.

"Waltzing Matilda" is definately suitable for Australia and was initially the eight army song before the Germans joined in in North Africa.

Ireland how about "A Nation once again?" the old Irish Nationalist party song. "We're on the one road" is a bit too Sinn Fein and connected with the present troubles

Northern Ireland? The sash?

Highland Cathedrals for Scotland instead of our overly simplitistic national anthem.

Jerusalem for Great Britain, God Save the Queen is just a bad song.

@Andy Hudson why not just have Follow Follow :p

"Hell March" for the Soviet Union :D

Even though its not a song, its epic =) besides if the Soviets ruled the world it would be all about the massive military parades anyway...

Highland Cathedrals for Scotland instead of our overly simplitistic national anthem.

If you ask me, this is already the case! :p

Jerusalem for Great Britain, God Save the Queen is just a bad song.

I'd have Land of Hope and Glory with some less anachronistic lyrics, as its a patriotic song which has precisely what GStQ lacks in energy and verve (and, you know, being a good piece of music). "Jerusalem" is a lovely song, but very much more a hymn than an anthem, and it refers to "England". It might work for England, though, since they haven't mamaged to find any other candidate.

Anyway, GStQ is a bit stodgy but it does the job and can sound a lot better in the right circumstances. I think we should keep it as a "royal anthem" and then have a national anthem, like all the other Realms.

I forgot Canada which could always have the Maple Leaf Rag or perhaps the 1812 overture

Er, why would Canada adopt a more-or-less lyricless, unhummable concert piece about a war in Russia having nothing to do with it, which ontains the national anthem of France (I bet the prairy provinces will love that...) and which is used as a patriotic song by some misguided Americans?

Last edited:
I'd have LoHG with some less anachronistic lyrics, or Rule Brittania. Jerusalem is a lovely song, but very much more a hymn than an anthem, and it referrs to "England". It might work for England, though.

I'd rather have "Walk upon Englands Mountains" than "Rebellious Scots to crush" :p

There was another war in 1812 between Britain and the United States which the Canadians are the only people who claim to have won having kicked out invaders. The French Canadians could always identify with the French National Anthem but the Candians are not noted for their sense of humour

If you ask me, this is already the case! :p

I'd have LoHG with some less anachronistic lyrics, or Rule Brittania. Jerusalem is a lovely song, but very much more a hymn than an anthem, and it referrs to "England". It might work for England, though.

Er, why would Canada adopt a more-or-less lyricless, unhummable concert piece about a war in Russia having nothing to do with it, which ontains the national anthem of France (I bet the prairy provinces will love that...) and which is used as a patriotic song by some misguided Americans?

I'd rather have "Walk upon Englands Mountains" than "Rebellious Scots to crush" :p

:rolleyes:

I've said it once, I'll say it again...

There are no rebellious Scots in the authorised lyrics. If we're including unauthorised lyrics, the song is mostly about hailing the Kaiser in victory's crown. And many national anthems have non-PC verses, understandable given the historical context, which have been removed. Germany isn't claiming to be Von Der Maas Bis An Die Memel now, is it?

There was another war in 1812 between Britain and the United States which the Canadians are the only people who claim to have won having kicked out invaders. The French Canadians could always identify with the French National Anthem but the Candians are not noted for their sense of humour

Yes, but the tune, besides its musical insuitability, is completely and unambigously about the war in Russia. In case the distinctly Orthodox opening bit, the Russian folk dance, and "God Save the Tsar" weren't enough, the bloke who wrote it was called Chaykovskiy.

Last edited:
My Country tis of thee for America. Have Russia and Germany keep their old anthems with the tune of "God Save the Queen/King" and the Olympics would be a hell of a confusing time come the medal ceremony. :D

:rolleyes:

I've said it once, I'll say it again...

There are no rebellious Scots in the authorised lyrics. If we're including unauthorised lyrics, the song is mostly about hailing the Kaiser in victory's crown. And many national anthems have non-PC verses, understandable given the historical context, which have been removed. Germany isn't claiming to be Von Der Maas Bis An Die Memel now, is it?
Heh..
I still remember the look on the face of our choirmaster's dad when the choir broke into "Zion's King shall reign victorious". He (the father) was Dutch, had survived Nazi occupation, and ONLY knew that tune as the Nazi German anthem.

Of course, it started as the AUSTRIAN imperial anthem (Gott erhalt Franz den Kaiser, Gott erhalt den Kaiser Franz,..)