Beerhaven. Needs. A. Flag. And. CoA

Beerhaven. Needs. A. Flag. And. CoA. Please.

Attention honourable vexilligrapherologists of AH.com:

The Cervisial Republic of Beerhaven requests a Flag and Coat of Arms.

Yes, indeedy.
At my mate Brownee's surprise 30th birthday party on saturday, out of the drunken mists of time came forth the Republic of Beerhaven. As Lord Protector I am able to bestow the honourable title of Doodler on Beermats (and Arch Herald of Arms) upon whomever creates a flag and arms to my satisfaction.

Let the competition commence.

Regards
The Lord Protector of Beerhaven

Last edited:
What sort of Republic is it. What culture, what language, where in the world is it. What religion, what is the most important thing to the people/government? We need this sort of information.

Ok lads.
Being a relatively new country of 3 days old its history is lost in the alcoholic fog of days gone by...
But lets try to describe it:

Head of State: Lord Protector
Type of Government: (currently) Semi-Presidential Democracy
Religion: majority Beerist (Aler, Lagerite) but significant minority of Winers
Language: English
National Pastime: drinking
National Sport: drinking

Hopefully that's enough to get you guys started.

Cheers for doing this! :cool:

Had some ideas for (dodgy latin) mottos:

par servitium per cervisiam = equal service through beer
cervisia per servitum = beer through service
protego ut cervisiare = to protect by drinking beer

I've sketched a couple of designs for CoAs, but want to get feedback before posting anything. I basically have two designs:

1. A more "republican" coat of arms, where the shield (charged with 3 kegs) is mounted on a wreath of hops and has either no crest, or something like a liberty cap, and the scroll/motto is wrapped around the wreath, or

2. A more "proper" coat of arms, with a mantled helm and where the hops are moved to a crest above the helm. The scroll/motto is in the normal place below the shield.

Which fits the spirit of the Cervisial Republic more?

I've sketched a couple of designs for CoAs, but want to get feedback before posting anything. I basically have two designs:

1. A more "republican" coat of arms, where the shield (charged with 3 kegs) is mounted on a wreath of hops and has either no crest, or something like a liberty cap, and the scroll/motto is wrapped around the wreath, or

2. A more "proper" coat of arms, with a mantled helm and where the hops are moved to a crest above the helm. The scroll/motto is in the normal place below the shield.

Which fits the spirit of the Cervisial Republic more?

Oooh, they both sound good :cool: but the second is probably more in line with having a Lord Protector in charge.
I eagerly await your results.
Am now off to our first Beerhaven Assembly ;)

The arms.

The shield is blazoned Sable, three kegs between two flaunches wavy, all Or. Gold and black represent the range of light and dark beers. Although technically black is the background color, the shape it forms makes me think of beer flowing from a tap. The shield is mounted on a wreath of hops (I basically combined my two ideas from the last post). The motto is around the base of the wreath, and for a crest, above the helm and coronet, I've placed a tap.

Parts of this are fairly messy, especially some of the coloring. I can make a neater version if you like the design.

Beerhaven COA.png

Nice one BK!
Cleaner one please :).

The black & gold is perfect, and it so wouldn't have occurred to me to use the wavyness, which just works. The taps seem a bit odd but I think it is just that they're large in relation to the rest of the coat.

Good job! :cool:

EDIT: Oh and noticed I made an error on the motto :rolleyes: It should be "cervisia per servitium"

If it interests anyone, here are the draft Articles of Beerhaven:

DRAFT Articles of Beerhaven

In this document the term Lord refers to both genderspecific terms Lord and Lady.

1. Beerhaven shall consist of the (executive) Officers of State, headed by the Lord Protector, the (legsislative) House of Landlords, and the Citizens.
  2. The Lord Protector
    1. The Lord Protector shall not be a Landlord but a Citizen of Beerhaven.
    2. The Lord Protector shall hold office until death, abdication, or removal from office by a minimum 2/3 vote of all Landlords. Whereupon a new Lord Protector shall be elected by single transferrable vote from the Citizens of Beerhaven by the Citizens of Beerhaven.
    3. Lord Protector's Appointments
      1. The Lord Protector shall appoint or dismiss a Landlord to be Lord Grand Master, First Among Landlords. The Lord Grand Master shall traditionally be the leader of the largest politicial party/coalition elected into the House of Landlords.
      2. The Lord Protector shall appoint or dismiss a Citizen or Landlord to head the Court System of Beerhaven. If a Citizen, this person shall be named Chamberlain of Justice; if a Landlord, this person shall be named Lord Chancellor.
      3. The Lord Protector shall appoint or dismiss a Citizen or Landlord to head the Police of Beerhaven. If a Citizen, this person shall be named Keeper of the Peace; if a Landlord, this person shall be named Lord Constable
      4. The Lord Protector shall appoint or dismiss a Citizen or Landlord to be (Lord) Chief Herald of Arms.
      5. The Lord Protector shall appoint or dismiss other titles of import except where they conflict with the role of parliament.
    4. The Lord Protector shall be Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Beerhaven. As Commander-in-Chief, the Lord Protector shall appoint or dismiss members of the Armed Forces or delegate such authority to the next ranking member(s) of the Armed Forces.
    5. The Lord Protector shall hold Veto and Casting Vote on Policy or Legislation voted upon by the Landlords in session, excepting where a minimum 2/3 of all Landlords are in agreement on said Policy/Legislation.
    6. The Lord Protector shall be able to call a General Election at any time except following a Landlord Petition for their removal, whereupon no General Election can be called until completion of the Petition.
  3. The Officers of State
    1. The Lord Grand Master
      1. The Lord Grand Master shall and must appoint or dismiss Landlords to their Cabinet to produce Policy or Legislation or to raise issues relevant to their Portfolio as assigned by the Lord Grand Master.
    2. The Chamberlain of Justice / Lord Chancellor
      1. The Chamberlain / Lord Chancellor shall pronounce Judgement on cases brought before them by the Keeper of the Peace / Lord Constable or by Petition of the Citizens or by the Lord Protector. Said Judgement shall be in accordance with the spirit of the Legislation as laid out by the Landlords or by precedent Judgement pronounced upon Petitions.
      2. The Chamberlain / Lord Chancellor shall appoint or dismiss Judges and other delegates of their authority.
    3. The Keeper of the Peace / Lord Constable
      1. The Keeper of the Peace / Lord Constable shall police the Citizens and Landlords of Beerhaven in accordance with Legislation and Court Precedent.
      2. The Keeper of the Peace / Lord Constable shall appoint or dismiss lesser Keepers/Constables and other delegates of their authority.
    4. Chief Herald of Arms / Lord Chief Herald of Arms
      1. The Chief Herald of Arms shall act on all armorial requests brought before them by the people of Beerhaven.
      2. The Chief Herald of Arms shall appoint or dismiss Heralds and other delegates of their authority.
  4. The House of Landlords
    1. A Landlord shall be elected by the Citizens when a vacancy in the House of Landlords occurs.
    2. The number of seats in the House of Landlords shall be decided by a majority of Landlords. The number of seats shall not be less than 10 and shall be representative of the Citizens.
    3. A Landlord shall vote on Policy or Legislation as raised by Lord Grand Master and their Cabinet.
    4. A Landlord can raise issues to be taken as Policy except where said issue comes under a Portfolio
    5. Landlords can petition the Lord Protector for dismissal of the Lord Grand Master. Said Petition shall require a minimum 2/3 vote of all Landlords which must take place within 2 weeks of being raised.
    6. Landlords can dismiss the Lord Protector. Said dismissal shall require a minimum 2/3 vote of all Landlords which must take place within 2 weeks of being raised.
  5. The Lord Grand Master's Cabinet
    1. Cabinet Portfolios shall include but not be exclusive to
      1. Lord Keeper(s) of the Records – responsible for recording Assembly Sessions, Court Judgements, and acting as general secretary
      2. Lord(s) of the Treasury – responsible for taxes and tolls, looks after Beerhaven's money
      3. Lord(s) of Festival – organises social events etc
      4. Lord(s) of Beverages – suggests Policy on beer consumption and promotion, post can be divided into Ales, Lagers, and Other Beverages.
    2. Cabinet Members shall be able to be appointed Officers of State
    3. Assemblies
      1. All Assemblies of the Lord Protector and Parliament shall be held in a Public House, Inn, Tavern, or Brewery, except when as an adjunct to a Beerhaven Festival.

Last edited:
Update: I'm finishing the inks and beginning the colors. Not perfect, but I like it. For now, a blazon that you can add to Beerhaven's documents or what-have-you:

Sable, between two flaunches wavy three tuns with taps, all Or; the escutcheon wreathed with hop leaves and flowers vert; for a crest, upon a helm the Cervisial Coronet, thereon a tap fixture sable and argent, affixed thereto four taps argent with handles sable and Or; the helm and wreath mantled sable and Or; the motto "Cervisia per Servitium" around the wreath in base.

Last edited:
Update: I'm finishing the inks and beginning the colors. Not perfect, but I like it. For now, a blazon that you can add to Beerhaven's documents or what-have-you:

Sable, between two flaunches wavy three tuns with taps, all Or; the escutcheon wreathed with hop leaves and flowers vert; for a crest, upon a helm the Cervisial Coronet, thereon a tap fixture sable and argent, affixed thereto four taps argent with handles sable and Or; the helm and wreath mantled sable and Or; the motto "Cervisia per Servitium" around the wreath in base.

Cool. Thanks very much.
Btw found out that the diminutive of Flaunches is Flasques, so methinks we can get away with calling the inverse of flaunches/flasques a flagon :D

Cool. Thanks very much.
Btw found out that the diminutive of Flaunches is Flasques, so methinks we can get away with calling the inverse of flaunches/flasques a flagon :D

Nice. I also found out that a heraldic keg is called a tun, so I figured "tuns with taps" was more heraldic than "kegs." Of course, in the official documents you're free to use "kegs" if it seems more cervisial.

Oh, and the "Cervisial Coronet" is a crown resembling hop leaves and heads of grain :D.