Canadian Aviation Industry - How big could it get?

Well, how about it?

The cancellation of Avro Arrow is now right up there as one of the greatest mistakes ever made by the Canadian government, so we can assume that it gets built after all. But what else comes out of it? I have a few ideas, but I wanna see what you guys can come up with first.....

It could be somewhere between France and Sweden. Which is to say pretty impressive. Canadian aviation would have to focus on civil market as its own defence needs are limited compared with the aforementioned European nations. Canadian civil aviation would also benefit from collaboration with American and French aviation industries and the British Rolls Royce company on a wide variety of products.

^ That's about what I think, too. I think the Arrow could easily have been the base of a long line of Canadian fighter programs, though, which might just make Canadian governments a little willing to spend on the Canadian Forces. I've had the idea of Avro finishing the Arrow and then developing a carrier-based fighter, as Canada was a carrier-operator until 1970 in OTL and here might still be one today......

Don't forget about the Avro Canada C102 Jetliner, which could have been the start of the Canadian commercial passenger jet industry.

Don't bank on it, St-Laurent had already ordered a cost review by the '57 election, though Howe was still enthusiastic. Might've turned out like the Lavi, which nearly bankrupted IAI... Though this would be a great TL. :cool: