British Political POD.

Ok, let's say that Michael Howard and the Tories do slightly better in the 2005 General Election; perhaps, as Howard later regretted not doing, they attack Blair far more for not having a better plan for Iraq after overthrowing Saddam. Their campaign is slightly smarter than in OTL, and it pays off for them, the Tories gain 45 seats, twelve more than the 33 they managed in OTL.

Thus buoyed, Michael Howard resigns as Party leader, and elections begin for a new one. But this time, David Cameron loses out (not sure what the POD would have to be for this) and David Davis becomes Leader of the Opposition, facing off against a badly mauled Blair government. Cameron gets the Shadow Home Secretary Brief, and Liam Fox becomes Shadow Chancellor. Hague remains on the backbenches.

How does AH.com reckon this would pan out?

More calls for Blair to resign earlier and a stronger Brownite faction.

Davis is a bit of a random choice but anyway the tories win the 2010 election with a comfortable majority albeit not a landslide.

David Davis possibly has more of a popular appeal, at the moment it seems to me that a lot of Tory support is actually anti-Brown/Blair or anti-Labour feeling, it's not pro-Tory, don't forget Cameron and half is front bench went to Eton, people know this and don't like it.

Davis grew up on a council estate and made a real success of himself, he's a Thatcherite success story, potentially if backed by the right strategists he could be a lot more popular and could pull off a big win in 2010. Of course Brown may consider that and end up calling a GE in late '08 and have Labour win a small but comfortable majority and thus be in until 2013.

I don't honestly see how the Tories gaining twelve more seats would have benefited Davis; those newcomers would at best split 50-50 between him and Cameron. (I'm being generous - I assume in reality they would have been mostly Nick Bowles-style types who would have gone mostly en-bloc to Cameron) Cameron did, after all, get less than half of the PCP votes in OTL. He still won.

You really need an earlier POD than this to stop Cameron. There was a strong feeling in the party after 2005 which was geared towards electing, by hook or by crook, someone from the left because it was felt that was the only possible way the next election could be won. This went far beyond the left itself and included people of the Bow Group mentality like Howard himself, without whom Cameron would have not got that crucial shadow cabinet seat post-election. Even the Mail eventually endorsed him. After Hague and IDS the right was simply seen as clapped-out and electorally discredited.

A better way to do this would be to remove Davis from the scene before the election, and pit Cameron against Fox, but I can't think of many plausible ways you could do that.

Oh and Hague was going to come in with the baggage train of whoever won. He was talking to both camps, and waited until there was a clear winner before endorsing. That eroded Thatcherite sea-stack would have been invaluable to whoever won, for sligtly different reasons. I imagine if Davis wins he gets treasury; Fox would probably have got the exact same job he did in OTL, maybe foreign affairs if Davis is feeling a bit beligerent to the left. (Although I suspect that would have gone to Rifkind) Cameron would probably go to home affairs. (Or treasury and swap with Hague)

David Davis possibly has more of a popular appeal

Considering the main reason David Davis lost the leadership election was because he was a rotten public speaker and that he lacked the charisma of Cameron, this seems a highly questionable notion. He is, btw, two years older than Brown.

Last edited:
No. Do share!

Well he was a teacher at my school. One of the most popular ones and in fact probably my favourite teacher.

We were due to get him at the end of the year for Spanish but he was in a severe car crash.

He's ben moved out of intensive care but we're still all worried for him. :( :(

Because I'm bored....

Davis-as-leader would be very different from Cameron; most noticeably all the early repositioning of the 2005-2007 period would go out of the window. Davis wouldn't go for anything like 'hug a hoodie', nor would he be particularly interested in Green issues. Davis would instead try and ape John McCain-style positioning (I use him because he's the best example) attacking Blair strongly, very strongly, on issues of trust and basic standards in public life, and, above all, ID cards and the size of the state. Davis would try to broaden the social appeal of the Tories slightly by reaching out on the issues of things like inner cities, single mothers etc, but at the same time stressing obedience to traditional Tory policies particularly on crime and especially public finances. Other 'big' issues of the last eight years such as immigration and social conservatism would be put on the back burner. Davis would take a completely purist eurosceptic line but again, wouldn't stress it as a main issue.

But this wouldn't go down particularly well with most, and he would have strong rumblings from the left and the press. Davis will not be in particularly good shape by the time Blair retires. (Assuming that goes as per OTL) There will be murmurings of a leadership challenge 'if things don't improve.'

A possible POD here may be in what happens to Davis Milliband. In 2007 OTL Milliband was seen as the great white hope who the Blairites wanted to run against Brown, in order to take on Cameron. Here that will not be half as pronounced as in OTL, as there is no 'Tory Blair'. In consequence Milliband's prospects won't be talked up; he is unlikely to get the FCO as his reward which means a different cabinet lineup. Brown is probably more secure in his cabinet, and probably won't feel the need to make much of an accomodation with the Blairites. The big 'if' depends on whether or not Brown will go for the 2007 election here or not. With Davis not in as good shape as Cameron he may well do. In which case, thing will be very dicey for Davis. He will very likely lose the election to Brown.

If not, then 2007-2008 is going to be a smoother ride for Davis than the last few years, as Brown starts to implode. Although the media would still be annoyed, as they would view Davis-Brown as a step back to Smith-Major, and you would hear the old complaint that 'it will be our bank manager versus their bank manager' again. The press in particular will want to make mischief at the 'boring' leaders and will be aching for something 'interesting.' This will fuel criticsm of Davis.

But then 2008-2009 comes around and Davis starts coming into his own. His previous warnings about financial rectitude, public trust, reforming government, and the size of the state would begin to look completely prescient, even though he has followed an embarrasingly strong deregulation line. If Cameron gets Treasury in 2005 then Davis will probably dump him from that soon after the crisis hits, put him into the education brief, and bring in a heavy hitter to shadow Darling/whoever. (NOT Clarke) All the previous criticsms about Davis not being 'fresh' enough would melt away, as the need for an experienced team above all else hits the public and media, and Davis would be hammering Brown on the issues. His shadow cabinet would look very much like a government in waiting, and Tory supporters and activists are much more enthused about the party than in OTL. By this time in the alt-TL, Davis is running an election-winning if not world-beating lead in the polls and people are looking forward to the general election.

Shadow Cabinet would look something like:

Leader - Davis
Treasury - Hague
Foreign Affairs - Rifkind
Home Affairs - Grieve? Lansley?
Education - Cameron
Health - Letwin?
Defence - Fox
etc

Last edited: