JFK dies in 1943

I get the feeling there's been too much of the Kennedy's here lately but nevertheless I'm curious.

In August 1943, Military Torpedo Boat PT-109 (under the command of Lieutenaunt Kennedy) was cut in half by a collision with a Japanese destroyer. Two men were killed and two more seriously injured but Kennedy and the remainder of the crew swam to safety.

Simple enough POD. Kennedy is killed somehow in the collision.

What follows?

Rep. Bobby Kennedy in 1956 (assuming he runs at age thirty like Jack), Senator by 1962, and POTUS by 1976. That's assuming the curse doesn't strike. POTUS Nixon in 1960, and possibly the succession in 1968.

Adlai Stevenson or Stuart Symington heads the Democratic ticket in 1960, and by doing so, probably lose to Richard Nixon. Following that, I'm not sure.

Rep. Bobby Kennedy in 1956 (assuming he runs at age thirty like Jack), Senator by 1962, and POTUS by 1976. That's assuming the curse doesn't strike. POTUS Nixon in 1960, and possibly the succession in 1968.

Roughly what I guessed at myself...

A 1960-1968 Nixon Presidency could be very interesting. As I see it, some major changes from OTL would be:
  • No Cuban Missile Crisis
  • Minimal American presence in Vietnam. No major war.
  • Continued Soviet lead in the Space Race
I am less clear how domestic policy or the civil rights movement would be affected. Any thoughts?

Does Joseph P kennedy Jr.'s death get butterflied away?

Let's say not. Perhaps it is in other circumstances but I feel the TL would be more interesting with JPK Jr out of the picture.

I do have thoughts, but will direct you to "Mind the Door", although currently AWOL, which will give you a good idea. Otherwise, I would have to reveal my secrets ;).

Stevenson was the most overrated candidate in recent presidential history. He would get the Gene McCarthy vote and little else outside the South (irony of ironies). Someone who is abstract, theoretical and a one-term governor of Illinois. That's not happening. The '60 candidate would be Symington or Humphrey, because of the glass ceiling on Southerners, Catholics, and non-Protestants until then. LBJ in '64, who would lose to Nixon, and in 1968, it could be Rocky vs. RFK...