Just one stroke of a pen...

Hi!
This is my first real serious attempt at a TL, other ideas have run for a part or two and then faded away. So here's a hopefully better one. After all, I've only been here for a few months:).

The PoD is that King Charles Albert of Piedmont was more shrewd and was planning for a war in 1847 which coincided nicely with the 1848 revolutions. He plotted with French revolutionaries and even the then exiled Louis Napoleon, and launched a slightly more succesful campaign than OTL. All this will eventually develop into a European and Mediterranean TL, and later even International.

Comments, criticicm, suggestions, hell, tear it to bits if you have good reason to, but of course- Enjoy...:)

Just one stroke of a pen...

“Just one stroke of a pen has erased all our liberties, all our reforms, all our hope. We Italians have neither Parliament, nor hustings, nor liberty of the press, freedom of speech, possibilty of lawful assemblage, no means of expressing the opinions that are stirring within us.”

-Giuseppe Mazzini, after the Congress of Vienna denied Italy of all its newfound nationalism and gave it a new oppressor- Austria.

The revolutions of 1848 shocked the world. They started, though, in 1847 France, when rebellions against King Louis Philippe began in July. As these rebellions grew, a certain Louis Napoleon Bonaparte, in exile in the UK, began to look around for allies. His dream was to ride the rebellions happening in his homeland, return spectacularly to France and eventually gain control of the country. Along with a section of the French rebels, Napoleon agreed with some Piedmontese agents to support their cause in Italy, if Piedmont supported their eventual takeover.

As the French continued to rebel against their King, in January 1848 revolutions started in Italian cities all over Austria. King Charles Albert of Savoy, King of Piedmont, had a vague plan for a war against Austria dating from the agreements with Napoleon, but had to rush to seize the opportunity. The French rebels sent some volunteers and troops, but the bulk of the troops were to be Piedmontese. Charles Albert soon decided to draft a Constitution for his country, the Statuto Albertino, and slowly prepared for an invasion.

The situation in France worsened, and by February the revolution began in earnest. In Piedmont, an invasion of Lombardy was planned for March. Co-ordinated revolutions were also to happen in the other Italian cities to facilitate the Piedmontese advance. The new, fairly liberal Pope, Pius IX, also looked as though he would help. The well-timed, fiercely desperate revolts started in the Italian cities in the second week of March, and soon Piedmont declared war on the Austrian Empire. Troops marched east, finding little resistance as the revolts nearly cleared Austrian troops from the region. With the French troops also helping, and Papal support to the south, it looked as if the invasion would succeed.

The revolution in France had now succeeded and a Republic was hastily proclaimed. The Italian ally Louis Napoleon returned to France but was soon asked by the government to leave for a short while. He fled to Piedmont, where he co-ordinated the French troops in Italy and became somewhat of a popular supporter of the ‘Risorgimento’- the Italian cause. Other revolts in the other Italian states caused constitutions to be granted to many small countries. The stage was set for a large change in Italy.

The allied Italian troops reached the ‘Quadrilateral’ of Austrian forts near Venice and quickly prepared for a large battle. Then, Pope Pius changed his mind and withdrew his troops, fearing taking sides in a war between two catholic nations. This unprecedented betrayal lead to quick allied occupation of Papal Romagna in revenge and was instrumental in the downfall of the campaign later on.

Another factor in the failure of the campaign was that the French government soon demanded all their troops back for ‘consolidating control’ throughout the country, an excuse to put down rebellions. Napoleon could do nothing but watch as the allied force was reduced to only Piedmontese troops. Charles Albert knew that the army was now weak and overstreched, and after losing a battle at the Quadrilateral, he asked the Austrians for a truce. He felt truly ‘stabbed in the back’ by the Pope and by France and even though he always supported the Italian cause, Napoleon was soon expelled after the peace treaty.

The Treaty of Milan ended the ‘First war of Italian Unification’ and was actually quite favourable for Piedmont. Piedmont gained Lombardy west of the rivers Adige and Mincio, while most of the duchy of Modena, minus the city itself, was also annexed. Ravenna and North-East Romagna was combined with Veneto and annexed into Austria proper, while most of Romagna united with the Grand Duchy of Tuscany, Parma, Lucca, and Modena into the Kingdom of Tuscany under Austrian influenced Leopold II. This first step into unification left Piedmont stronger but exhausted in the North, a strengthened Austrian dominated Central Italy under Leopold, and a shamed Papal States further south, weakened by successful rebellions in Rome by Mazzini and Garibaldi, who will be important later on.

In the South, the Bourbon Kingdom of the Two Sicilies lay weak, corrupted, with the people victorious after their winning of a constitution. But it would not last long, unless someone were to intervene and liberate the peasants. Charles Albert looked around, plotting for his next move, as British Malta silently looked north at the turmoil and planned…

~~~

Last edited:
Ouch, i like this new addition of Austria, it complicates things.....alot! now Jim, is this going to have a stronger, united Italy... Possibly an Italy wank in the long term (maybe Italy kick the crap out of Austria and win some big gainss!??

haha woops, there goes my desired Italian Wank idea again:p Im sorry, i've been writing about a Venice that destroys Portugal, my mind is set in a David and Goliath way:p:p

Otherwise, the addition of Austria makes it better than originally, its great!!
Keep it up, i c this one succeeding!!
-Francesco:cool:

Damn you Austria!
Meddling in Italian lands in OTL isn't good enough? Huh?
My ITALIAN great-grandfather fought for you! WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT?
;)
Just kidding. This is some impressive stuff Jimbrock. I look forward to the rest of the Timeline.

Thanks, everyone. Yes, Austria meddling about in Italy is not going to be as enjoyable for them as OTL...
Also, I corrected the quote after looking it up the good old way...books!
Previously I couldnt find it on the net and wrote it from memory.

I dug out a flag I had made for the new expanded Piedmont, that drops the stupid Sardinia anachronism and adapts to a more pan-Italian country.

Also, I can see that the ammount of views is very large compared to the ammount of posters (unless everyones been checking the thread 70 times a day:)). So, would anyone taking interest in the TL post his comments, at least so I know some people ARE following it...

Anyway. The flag:

Piedflag.PNG

I dug out a flag I had made for the new expanded Piedmont, that drops the stupid Sardinia anachronism and adapts to a more pan-Italian country.

Also, I can see that the ammount of views is very large compared to the ammount of posters (unless everyones been checking the thread 70 times a day:)). So, would anyone taking interest in the TL post his comments, at least so I know some people ARE following it...

Anyway. The flag:

hehe i check up every now and then:eek:
Green white and red, i like it:D

Anyway. The flag:

Interesting, I like Savoys and Habsburgs. So this is a win either way for me. I look forward to seeing how this develops.

The title is very nice. Catchy, and an apropriate historical reference. I remember the name contest for Empire Reborn . . . ah.

It would appear "perfidious Albion" is preparing to meddle, or at least sell weapons to someone.

I will be interested to see how Napoleon III does in this TL. On that note you manage to convey the sense of confusion inherent in a region experiencing large scale internal and international upheaveal.

Round II, will the bourbons survive? Will the Habsburgs maionatain their position? Will the Savoyards be trumped by more left inclined revolutionaries? What will his Holiness do?

I expect we shall find out.

*grumbles about the ignorant Austrophobes*

Austriae est imperare orbi universo

Erm...
Ignoring the fact that I know I will have to stop reading this at some point in the foreseeable future, it's a good TL, I just wish the Habsburgs didn't have to end up getting screwed over in the end...

*goes back to plotting a Venetian Unified Italia under Maximilian*

Last edited:

Erm...
Ignoring the fact that I know I will have to stop reading this at some point in the foreseeable future, it's a good TL, I just wish the Habsburgs didn't have to end up getting screwed over in the end...

*goes back to plotting a Venetian Unified Italian under Maximilian*

:eek: AUSTRIAN!!!

A combination of Italian colurs and the Savoy flag. Designed by yours truly. :)

Interesting, I like Savoys and Habsburgs. So this is a win either way for me. I look forward to seeing how this develops.

The title is very nice. Catchy, and an apropriate historical reference. I remember the name contest for Empire Reborn . . . ah.

Thanks, but of course, Hasburgs and Savoys cant both win. And I hope you get to learn that fast...

It would appear "perfidious Albion" is preparing to meddle, or at least sell weapons to someone.

I will be interested to see how Napoleon III does in this TL. On that note you manage to convey the sense of confusion inherent in a region experiencing large scale internal and international upheaveal.

Albion will intervene pretty quick, not wanting their interests to be compromised anywhere
Napoleon, I feel safe to say, will not be more successful than OTL, but the Second Empire definately will. Just cos I hate republics, and Emperors are cool. :)

Round II, will the bourbons survive? Will the Habsburgs maionatain their position? Will the Savoyards be trumped by more left inclined revolutionaries? What will his Holiness do?

I expect we shall find out.

For the answers to all these burning questions, I guess you'll just have to wait for the next part... Which, fans, will come rather soon.

Erm...

*goes back to plotting a Venetian Unified Italia under Maximilian*

Hey, dont get annoyed, an uber Empire which goes about opressing other prosperous races just has to fall spectacularly. To tell you the truth, I bet its cos everyone else is jealous. What other empire can do that?
If Austria dosent survive as a great power, dont worry, the Hasburgs will. Really.
And dont let this put you off the TL, because I need as many good commentors as posssible. (There you go, Im flattering you. Now youve gotta stop complaining.)

Thanks for all the comments guys, Ill try have a new part up by tomorrow, was out all day today.

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it must be a FILLER!
Until someone in the Map thread gets down to finishing my request, you'll need to be content with this little thing. It does set the stage for something bigger, though...

Louis Napoleon became the fifth President of France in December 1848. He was sympathetic to the Italian cause, but needed support from Catholics and could not forget his expulsion by the Piedmontese. He sent troops to Rome to destroy the Roman Republic formed by Garibaldi and despite heroic resistance on the part of the numerically smaller Roman army, in June the army retreated from the republic into the Apennine mountains. Agents from Charles Albert among the army told Garibaldi he could find refuge in Piedmont together with all his army. Garibaldi accepted and made the long trek through Tuscany into Lombardy. There he went to Turin to have an audience with the King.

Charles Albert got on well with Garibaldi. He suggested an invasion of Sicily coupled with a British-Maltese invasion of Calabria. After this, Sicily and Calabria will form into one state. The British would control it and it could even associate with British Malta and Ionian Islands. The British agreed to this as long as if the state was to be later incorporated into a united Italy, Britain would get naval bases all round the islands. In discussions over what form the new state would take, a Republic was agreed upon, giving the corrupt Bourbon nobles enough time to reform and regain credibility until they regained nobility in the Italian unified state.

After long discussions, both Garibaldi and the British agreed to this secret deal. Britain began transferring troops to Malta and beefing up their presence in the Ionian Islands. These Greek islands had taken well to their British rulers, and by integrating them into the new state the British saw a good alternative to handing them over to a Greece under hostile King Otto.

All the new alliance needed was a cause to start the war. Until one appeared, they prepared for war, and Piedmont began reforming its army and introducing Garibaldi as a new General who had already shown to be a hero in South America, but would now lead Piedmont to victory in their home ground.

The rest of the world had not yet taken much interest in the Italian cause. The Great Powers were too occupied with other matters than the piddling affairs of small states in Italy. But the upcoming struggle would turn the heads of the world. For now they were carefully watching the new President in France. But as Napoleon occupied the Papal States for support from Catholics, it became obvious that that the Great Powers would get involved in these ‘Italian intrigues’… And maybe, not too long in the future these ‘piddling Italians’ might not come off second best…

~~~​

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it must be a FILLER!
Until someone in the Map thread gets down to finishing my request, you'll need to be content with this little thing. It does set the stage for something bigger, though...

Louis Napoleon became the fifth President of France in December 1848. He was sympathetic to the Italian cause, but needed support from Catholics and could not forget his expulsion by the Piedmontese. He sent troops to Rome to destroy the Roman Republic formed by Garibaldi and despite heroic resistance on the part of the numerically smaller Roman army, in June the army retreated from the republic into the Apennine mountains. Agents from Charles Albert among the army told Garibaldi he could find refuge in Piedmont together with all his army. Garibaldi accepted and made the long trek through Tuscany into Lombardy. There he went to Turin to have an audience with the King.

Charles Albert got on well with Garibaldi. He suggested an invasion of Sicily coupled with a British-Maltese invasion of Calabria. After this, Sicily and Calabria will form into one state. The British would control it and it could even associate with British Malta and Ionian Islands. The British agreed to this as long as if the state was to be later incorporated into a united Italy, Britain would get naval bases all round the islands. In discussions over what form the new state would take, a Republic was agreed upon, giving the corrupt Bourbon nobles enough time to reform and regain credibility until they regained nobility in the Italian unified state.

After long discussions, both Garibaldi and the British agreed to this secret deal. Britain began transferring troops to Malta and beefing up their presence in the Ionian Islands. These Greek islands had taken well to their British rulers, and by integrating them into the new state the British saw a good alternative to handing them over to a Greece under hostile King Otto.

All the new alliance needed was a cause to start the war. Until one appeared, they prepared for war, and Piedmont began reforming its army and introducing Garibaldi as a new General who had already shown to be a hero in South America, but would now lead Piedmont to victory in their home ground.

The rest of the world had not yet taken much interest in the Italian cause. The Great Powers were too occupied with other matters than the piddling affairs of small states in Italy. But the upcoming struggle would turn the heads of the world. For now they were carefully watching the new President in France. But as Napoleon occupied the Papal States for support from Catholics, it became obvious that that the Great Powers would get involved in these ‘Italian intrigues’… And maybe, not too long in the future these ‘piddling Italians’ might not come off second best…

~~~​

Still good! what about a future Calabria wank eh Jim!? ~not even~

Anyway. The flag:

Excellent TL Jimbrock! I like your pan Italian flag as well. Perhaps in TTL Pope Pius IX will remain a more moderate/liberal pontiff. Your TL also intrests me as I'm currently building a united Italy and dismembering austria in my "CoHE" timeline.

Oh, and one thing to keep in mind about Austria...
“Truly, if it were not that Austria had long existed, it would be necessary, in the interest of Europe, in the interest of humanity itself, to create it.” - František Palacký
...It's fun destroying myths.:D

Ok guys, I know you've been waiting. I present, a new part! A Map will follow, hopefully.

From January 1848 to May 1849, revolutions in Sicily had completely expelled the Bourbons and created a quasi-independent state, which was then crushed by the army from Naples. Because of this, the Sicilians were always ready to rebel, and the few conspirators who knew of the alliance against the Bourbons were waiting for exactly the right time to cause a commotion and weaken the Neapolitan control. The Sicillian War was about to start.

In September 1849, the invasion set off from Cagliari, sailing for Trapani in Sicily. In the end, the allies had decided not to wait for a causus belli and just decided to declare war on the grounds that the wishes of the Sicilian people were not being followed, which of course, was true. The local people rose up in revolt and soon Britain declared war too. The fate of the Kingdom of the Two Sicillies was now sealed.

As the invasion started working its way to the east of the island, King Ferdinand II started to try and work out a way to save his throne. Among other options, he considered issuing a new Constitution, surrendering on certain conditions, and abdicating in favour of his thirteen year old son. In the end, he decided to retreat to Messina and dig in and try to defend the mainland while arousing a bit more political support.

Unfortunately, this all failed as the combined forces of the Sicilians, Piedmontese, and British soon broke through Messina, and with a great amount of casualties, managed to get to the very tip of the mainland, Reggio Calabria. The King, getting desperate, swore that if the allied forces got past Catanzaro, he would quickly get his reforms ready and surrender, hoping that the last minute change of heart would let him keep his neck, as well as his family’s dignity.

In March, 1850, all Calabria was in Allied hands. King Ferdinand had had enough, and got ready to start surrender discussions. He had already issued a fairly democratic and liberal constitution, and called an election, to get more popularity. He met Gairbaldi at Potenza, together with other Allied leaders, and eventually they managed to get to an agreement.

The Two Sicillies were to be dissolved, with Sicily and Calabria joining Malta and the Ionian Islands into a British ‘protected’ Mediterranean Republic. The rest of the Kingdom was to annex some small microstates in the area and form the Kingdom of Naples, under King Francesco, Ferdinand’s teenage son, and a democratic government. The new government elected by Ferdinand’s last minute elections would ratify the treaty and become the new government of the Kingdom of Naples.

The Treaty of Potenza ended the Sicillian War and created stable, democratic Piedmontese allies in the South, but the conflicts that would follow to completely unify Italy would dwarf this war completely, not only in scale or casualties, but in result. This time, changes could not happen just with one stroke of a pen…

Oh, come on guys, at least one of you can post. I mean, I look at my post count, there are quite a few that look everytime theres an update. So, comment! If you follow this, I need your comments, as well as needing them to actually keep the TL alive. *gets off stage*

Oh, yeah, and I also have a little flag for you. Designed by Askelion, who looks at this TL too every now and then, I present to you, the flag of the Mediterranean Republic! The gold represents the opportunities that await the Mediterranean (and ultimately Italian) people, the blue the sea that grants them livelihood, and the red not only a sneaky English Cross (hell, it is a protectorate after all) but a symbol of the blood shed till now to unify theses people under liberty and democracy.

Mediterranean%20Commonwealth.png

Just discovered this now, and I'm liking what I can see. I once had a dream of a British controlled Sicily, and now you've made it come true! Well done! :D

Can you also work out somehow to keep the name "Constantinople" somewhere along the line? Please...? :p

Fun! :) Always good to see more Italian TLs. Viva l'Patria! :D
I must admit, I am not by blood an Italian, but very close. Avanti!

Just discovered this now, and I'm liking what I can see. I once had a dream of a British controlled Sicily, and now you've made it come true! Well done! :D

Can you also work out somehow to keep the name "Constantinople" somewhere along the line? Please...? :p

Well, though I dont really want Constantinople to fall in Greek hands as per cliche, I think that the name itself will survive, no problem. :)

Well, though I dont really want Constantinople to fall in Greek hands as per cliche, I think that the name itself will survive, no problem. :)

Make it a British crown colony ala Hong Kong. ;)

Or have a surviving Ottoman Empire with full religious tolerance, where Greeks, Armenians, Arabs and Kurds are all treated equally next to the Turks. That'd be pretty cool too!