Ottokar II of Bohemia defeats Rudolf Habsburg

In 1278 at the Battle of Dürnkrut and Jedenspeigen Ottokar II Premysl King of Bohemia lost to HRE Rudolf I Habsburg when he was killed during an ambush following the Bohemian cavalry charge.
However, mere hours earlier Rudolf had narrowly survived the charge.

What if Rudolf died and thus the ambush never happened?

Could Ottokar have become HRE? What are the likely outcomes of a Bohemian win?

If Ottokar were to be victorious, I don't know how likely it is that he could ever become emperor. He was just too powerful, and after the end of the powerful Hohenstaufen family's rule of Germany, the nobles wanted either a foreign monarch (ie Richard of Cornwall or Alfonso X of Castile) or a weak, pliable prince (ie Rudolf of Hapsburg).

Bright day
There has been several threads on the matter.

Well if the PoD is that one battle, then I am not sure that Ottocar II would be able to turn whole Empire for himself.

The lands he acquired for dynasty would be returned I think.

As for internal state of Bohemia: it would be much better off without the disasterous regency by Brandeburgers and the latter regency of Queen Mother's lover Záviš of Falkenstein. The mental health of Ottocar's sucessor, Wenceslaus II, would be better and he was pretty brilliant OTL (and concieved before the PoD). Plus the silver mines of Kuttenberg are about to reach it's most productive period.

For its expension, if the infamous flying insect do not cause havoc, the Przemyslids may as OTL reach for Polish and Hungarian crowns. In OTL they controled about third of Hungary at best, and their rule in Poland was plagued by incessant uprising. But ITTL their powerbase is quite larger, which could leave them with larger pieces of these kingdoms, if not all of them. Of course it may all be butterflied away.

Miscellanous: If they maintain their hold on imperial title, they will not eye papacy in Avignon with delight. Speaking of French, there is not going to be Charles IV, with his inferiority complex at France- thus the establishment of university in Prague may be delayed. If this affects other universities in Germany I do not know.

Ah yes, Justin, thought there'd been one based on that POD but couldn't find it :rolleyes:.

Some interesting ideas that may help me in my ATL Legacy of the Angevins. Am trying to work out consequences of a HRE Henry VII Hohenstaufen and Ottokar II meet up.