Official Pennylvnd Thread

Highlander

Banned
I mentioned in the Flag Thread that we should have a central thread for discussion, and I didn't feel like bumping up an old one, so here it is.

For those who aren't in the know: Pennylvnd is a small, peaceful kingdom situated in the American state of Michigan. Although up until now we have been a low key project, I hope to now open up this nation to the world.

Just some news: working on designing and coding a website, which should be done by sometime next week. I hope to eventually have a discussion board, weather report, videos, a photo album, and other information. Also on the list is a professionally crafted banknote series (which will be based on a small quantity of precious metals, and ingots of steel/aluminum), passports (not quite sure about how to go about designing and making these yet), and, as I've mentioned previously, custom made flags.

Insult the governemnt and you'll get international recognition from Venezuela. :p
(I am kidding, I have few qualms with Chavez, or micronations for that matter.)

Stuff like this is interesting, do you have a Constitution?

Highlander

Banned
Stuff like this is interesting, do you have a Constitution?

Something like it - we will be adopting the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, I'm working on an Independence Proclamation, and an article outlining the government will follow. It will also be made clear that these are living documents, and will change as situations change.

Ah, cool.

Well, if you want any help, I'd be willing to offer my assistance.
I actually did something like this a few years ago.

Highlander

Banned
And I may take you up on that - I already have had oodles of help, in the form of our very own Krall, Esteemed Gentleman of the Pennylvndian Vexillology Institute.

Highlander

Banned
So how I have the government structured so far is there is the Monarch, along with a House of Lords type assembly composed of those appointed Baron/Baroness, along with a House of Commons, who is in actuality made up of all the rest of the citizens. Then there are the various departments, along with a ceremonial defense force (for now :p).

Obviously this is taken off of the British model, though in this the Monarch has a tad more power. My intention though is to make this governmental setup as unique as possible, and as such am currently taking suggestions.

Krall

Banned
So how I have the government structured so far is there is the Monarch, along with a House of Lords type assembly composed of those appointed Baron/Baroness, along with a House of Commons, who is in actuality made up of all the rest of the citizens. Then there are the various departments, along with a ceremonial defense force (for now :p).

Obviously this is taken off of the British model, though in this the Monarch has a tad more power. My intention though is to make this governmental setup as unique as possible, and as such am currently taking suggestions.

I would help you come up with a unique system of governance, but I'd either be so lazy as to not actually help, or go into so much detail that you may eventually need several overlapping flow charts in order to understand what's going on.

How's the House of Lords set-up?
You could make peerages meritocratically based also, perhaps use the really old system where a person hold that tile for life, but it's only passed on to the offspring if the Monarch decides to allow it.

Krall

Banned
Fatherland does sound better. I didn't realize some countries made the distinction.

I'm pretty sure there are at least a few countries that are pretty much exclusively one or the other. Germany's always a Fatherland, I think, and Russia's a Motherland (which I suppose makes Poland their unexpected, marriage-ruining Babyland). I think Italy's usually a Fatherland, but I've heard it referred to as a Motherland, too.

I'm pretty sure there are at least a few countries that are pretty much exclusively one or the other. Germany's always a Fatherland, I think, and Russia's a Motherland (which I suppose makes Poland their unexpected, marriage-ruining Babyland). I think Italy's usually a Fatherland, but I've heard it referred to as a Motherland, too.

As always the Genocide has an answer

What about it being a Homeland?

Krall

Banned
As always the Genocide has an answer

What about it being a Homeland?

Being a Homeland really implies that it's a country specifically created for an ethnic groups, and, although Highlander's nordic ancestory played a big part on my flag design, he's also part Native American, and I don't think His Majesty would like Pennylvnd to be specifically for a certain ethnic group to the exclusion of others.

Being a Homeland really implies that it's a country specifically created for an ethnic groups, and, although Highlander's nordic ancestory played a big part on my flag design, he's also part Native American, and I don't think His Majesty would like Pennylvnd to be specifically for a certain ethnic group to the exclusion of others.

I was mainly going on the fact that Pennylvnd is mostly his actual home.