WI Recent Large Animal Extinctions Were Averted?

I was thinking about a new AH or FH topic, but upon narrowing it down between an independent Mormonistan (could be an FH or late 19th century POD, but not necessarily plausibly) or this one, I decided.

Consider the factors surrounding recent large animal extinctions and their results. What human activities caused such animals to go extinct? How could the extinction have been prevented? Also, what effect on human affairs would the survival of such animals have?

Before continuing the discussion, it is important to define terms such as "large animal" and "recent."

By large animal, I mean life forms belonging to the kingdom animalia (obviously), of larger than "pest" size. There are plenty of insects, rodents, etc. that may have gone extinct over recent milenia but their extinctions would have gone largely unnoticed before the advent of modern biology and ecology. I am looking for animals, preferably rabbit sized or larger. Unfortunately I do not know enough about recent plant extinctions to speculate, but that would be an interesting topic for a different thread if not this one.

Also, what is meant by recent? By recent I mean no later than the Holocene. Of course, the focus is on animal extinctions caused at least partly by human activities. For the purposes of discussion, no extinctions related to the Ice Ages or their ending please. All such suggestions would best fit in a different thread. For instance, we do not know exactly how most Ice Age megafauna went extinct. Some such extinctions were caused by human hunting, or less directly by human settlement. Others were caused by the natural ecological catastrophes connected to the transition of Ice Ages. I would imagine that MOST such extinctions were caused by a combination, such that in ideal environmental conditions the fauna would have survived all but the very worst human impact, or such that the fauna may have adapted, albeit with difficulty to drastically changing ecosystems, but that human activities pushed them past the brink. [I noticed many people assume that either one of the causal factors must be exclusive, when it is rarely the case!] In either case, the extinctions of such Ice Age fauna as mammoths, mastodons, giant sloths, wooly rhinos, baluchitherium, sabre-tooths, etc. is out of the scope of this discussion.

In lieu of exact dates, I will use the following epochs:

Pleistocene-Holocene Boundary (P-H Boundary)
Roughly from about 11,000 - 3,000 B.C., or 13,000 - 5,000 B.P.
This period was marked by the abrupt end of the Ice Age, the late Upper Paleolithic, Mesolithic, Neolithic, and Chalcolithic stages. Some innovations included the development of agriculture and pastoralism in the Middle East, followed by their independent development in China and India. The first permanent major settlements arose in the Fertile Cresent, the Nile, and the Indus Valley.

Ancient Times
Roughly 4,000 B.C. - A.D. 500, marked by the Bronze Age and Iron Age. During this period, the great ancient civilizations of Sumer, Egypt, and the Indus Valley developed, followed later by the Greeks, Chinese, Persians, and Romans. Agriculture developed in South America and Mesoamerica, resulting in the dawning of Mayan civilization.

Medieval Times
Roughly 500 - 1400, characterized by the Dark Ages, feudalism, the Crusades, and the beginning of the Renaissance. The Mayan civilization continued to develop, followed by the Inca and Aztecs.

Medieval/Modern Transition
From the 14th century to the mid 18th century, characterized by the Renaissance, Enlightenment, and age of discovery and exploration. The end of this period was marked by revolutions.

Modern Period
The last two centuries.

As for fauna, any large animal to have gone extinct (a) after the end of the last Ice Age and (b) at least partly due to human activities. Must be a distinct species, subspecies do not count! While it would be intrinsically interesting to discuss both the causes and effects of the various Eurasian subspecies of predatory felines (such as the European lion, the Asiatic lion, Central Asian lepard, the Balinese tiger, etc.) such discussion would go better in a different topic. I prefer to limit the topic to extinct species distinct enough from now-living species to make a noticable impact.

:) rcduggan is more than welcome to contribute, but could he abstain from sarcasm, sardonic wit, or smartass comments this time?

Unfortunately, I do not have enough knowledge about any recently extinct fauna. Here goes...

DWARF PACHYDERMS
Various species of small relatives of elephants and mammoths living on the Mediterranean islands in the early Holocene.
Location: Mediterranean islands such as Crete, Cyprus, Sardinia, and Sicily. Also found on many Greek islands such as the Cyclades and Dodecanese.
Extinction: P-H Boundary
Cause: Over-hunting by humans?
[Note: I admit that this example might stretch the constraints of my own parameters. After all, these extinctions were prehistoric, and though after the Ice Age, may have resulted from the subsequent warming. For instance, during the last Ice Age, the Black Sea was MUCH SMALLER, the Aegean Sea was somewhat smaller, the Bosporus, Sea of Marmara, and Dardanelles were all GONE, being dry land, and many of the Mediterranean islands were a bit larger. Island groups such as the Cyclades and Dodecanese probably consisted of fewer and larger islands, as entire chains became single islands with falling sea levels. The fact that dwarf pachyderm remains are found even on smaller islands fits with their cause of extinction, namely that there was less land to support them. Though dwarf elephants *might* have survived on the largest islands.]
What if they survived: Dwarf elephants may be used as food, beasts of burden and transportation, war (though the military utility of elephants rests on their sheer size and strength. Any dwarf elephant large enough to support a human rider would be slower than an equine.), or pets. The latter option seems most likely, as pachyderms would make excellent companions were it not for their great size. (Think of a pet smarter than a dog but smaller than a horse! Note that selective breeding can perhaps miniaturize elephant-like and mammoth-like creatures further.)

MOAS
Various species of large flightless ratites.
Extinction: Medieval
Cause: Over-hunting by first human invaders of New Zealand, the Maori
How Extinction May Have Been Averted: The Maoris never reach New Zealand. Alternately, some advanced Eurasian nation managed to colonize New Zealand before the Maori.
What if they survived: Moas would have probably made an excellent food source, especially if they are as tasty as ostrich! Also, they might have been used as transportation. Their almost nonexistent wings would have provided plenty of room for human passengers. Alternately, trained moas may have been used as guards.
Note: In Tony Jones' Tellus the Chinese discovered and colonized New Zealand in 457 A.D., when it was then uninhabited. They call the moas Shu-Niao ("tree birds") and domesticate them, after which they are brought back to China and proliferate throughout Eurasia. The Romans call the birds Rocs. They are used everywhere for food, and occasionally, riding.

ELEPHANT BIRD
A gargantuan flightless ratite.
Cause: Over-hunting by first human invaders of Madagascar, the Malagasi
How Extinction May Have Been Averted: The Malagasi never reach Madagascar. Alternately, some advanced Eurasian, or perhaps African, nation managed to colonize Madagascar before the Malagasi.
What if they survived: Elephant birds would have probably made an excellent food source, especially if they are as tasty as ostrich! Alternately, trained moas may have been used as guards or sentries.

DODO
A large, plump, flightless pigeon relative.
Extinction: Medieval-Modern
Cause: Hunted to death by Portuguese explorers.
How Extinction May Have Been Averted: Europeans never discover Mauritius. Alternately, European explorers attempt to domesticate dodo birds and transplant them in other lands.
What if they survived: Dodo birds would have almost certainly made an excellent food source! The impact on the diet of nations that add dodo eggs and meat to the pantry would be major. Imagine the poultry one may obtain from a 20-kilogram dove-like bird!

:mad: Let us all take a moment to thank the Portuguese! :mad:
:D Just kidding! We forgive you... But seriously, how great would it be if Portugal cloned dodo birds! :cool:

If somebody can create a timeline which prevents the events leading to the extinction of any of the aforementioned species, and the events following from their survival, that would be impressive! Also, if anyone has any other species to add to the discussion, I am all ears.

STELLER'S SEA COW
Large oceanic mammal of Sirenia order.
Extinction: Early modern (1768)
Cause: Over-hunting by first human invaders of Commander Islands, the Russians and the Aleuts
How Extinction May Have Been Averted: Russia or Japan colonizes the Commander Islands with peasants, who domesticate the sea cows (they were very human-friendly and fearless, so domestication could be possible).
What if they survived: They would have made an excellent food source (meat, milk), fuel source (fat) and source of material for kayaks (skins).

DODO
A large, plump, flightless pigeon relative.
Extinction: Medieval-Modern
Cause: Hunted to death by Portuguese explorers.
How Extinction May Have Been Averted: Europeans never discover Mauritius. Alternately, European explorers attempt to domesticate dodo birds and transplant them in other lands.
What if they survived: Dodo birds would have almost certainly made an excellent food source! The impact on the diet of nations that add dodo eggs and meat to the pantry would be major. Imagine the poultry one may obtain from a 20-kilogram dove-like bird!

Actually no, the dodo tasted horribly. The Dutch sailors who first saw them and tried to eat them called them "walgvolgel", which is best translated as disgustingbird. The dodo didn't go extinct by human hunting (wether it were the portuguese or the Dutch), but most likely by the animals the Europeans left on mauritius: pigs, rats, dogs, cats, etc.

The elephant bird and moas may survive if they were transplanted to mainland Africa and Australia respectively.

The Ming dynasty Chinese were active off east Africa. Perhaps they could take elephant and dodo bird specimens back for a breeding program. I wont be too optimistic on prospect for domestication though. Of the thousands of animals humans have interacted with, less than 20 were ever successfully domesticated.

MOAS
Various species of large flightless ratites.
Cause: Over-hunting by first human invaders of New Zealand, the Maori
How Extinction May Have Been Averted: The Maoris never reach New Zealand. Alternately, some advanced Eurasian nation managed to colonize New Zealand before the Maori.
What if they survived: Moas would have probably made an excellent food source, especially if they are as tasty as ostrich! Also, they might have been used as transportation. Their almost nonexistent wings would have provided plenty of room for human passengers. Alternately, trained moas may have been used as guards.
Note: In Tony Jones' Tellus the Chinese discovered and colonized New Zealand in 457 A.D., when it was then uninhabited. They call the moas Shu-Niao ("tree birds") and domesticate them, after which they are brought back to China and proliferate throughout Eurasia. The Romans call the birds Rocs. They are used everywhere for food, and occasionally, riding.

If the Moa survives, then you likely get the survival of the scary...

HAAST'S EAGLE
Massive (3m wingspan, up to 15 kg in weight, whereas golden eagles have around 2m wingspan and only 7kg in weight) eagle.
Cause: Extinction of its Moa prey. Possibly hunting by human settlers.
How Extinction May Have Been Averted: Any scenario which sees the Moa survive leaves the possibility of the survival of the Haast's Eagle.
What if they survived: Predation of moas and possibly any introduced mammalian species. Either the Haast's eagle is hunted as a predator and reduced in numbers, or New Zealand is not heavily pasturised as it is today. New Zealand children have scary dreams after seeing a schoolmate carried off by a gigantic bird.

Wooly Mammoth (someone has to! :D)
Large hair-covered pachyderms with large sloping tusks.
Cause: Debated; Over-hunting by humans is likely in addition to climate change and possibly (one new theory points out) meteor impact!
How Extinction May Have Been Averted: If pockets could survive past the P-H, they may survive to historic times. Conceivably if humans realize the possibility in time there could be some rudimentary aims at preservation of wild populations and controlled hunting by steppe or plains bands or by stratified chiefdoms ("king's preserves").
What if they survived: While unlikely to be domesticable, they might have been tamed ala the elephant OTL. Would have possible function as a work animal or heavy cavalry (face it, you know you want to see Mammoth Cav! :cool:). Ivory...butt-loads of ivory!

Glyptodon - or for you Lone Star Beer fans, the real Giant Armadillo!
Large, armored mammal of the Glyptodontidae family, related to the armadillo, that lived during the Pleistocene Epoch. Flatter than a Volkswagen Beetle, but about the same general size and weight, Glyptodon is believed to have been an herbivore, grazing on grasses and other plants found near rivers and small bodies of water.
Location: ranged across tropical and subtropical North and South America.
Cause: Over-hunting by humans, most likely, possibly climate change factored in.
How Extinction May Have Been Averted: Difficult; possibly earlier preservation efforts as above?
What if they survived: Unlikely to be domesticable (YOU try to take babies from a Volkswagen-sized armadillo with a spiked tail!). Maintenance of a wild population will allow for limited hunting as a source for shells and meat. Perhaps kept in zoos as "sacred animals"?

Philip

Donor
I wont be too optimistic on prospect for domestication though. Of the thousands of animals humans have interacted with, less than 20 were ever successfully domesticated.

Agreed. I would be especially suspicious of suggests of domesticating large birds by peoples who already have domesticated chickens. Why would anyone want to waste time trying to domesticate these large and potentially dangerous animals when they already have a viable food source?

Teratorn
Very large bird of prey (wingspan 20+ ft, 150+ lbs) distantly related to condors. Possible inspiration for thunderbird legends
Extinction: P-H boundary, although "giant bird" sighting are occasional reported
Cause: Climate change, loss of food sources, and competition from more superior predators, hawks, eagles and condors.
How Extinction could have been averted: difficult, but if other megafauna prey species survive, the teratorn could too.
What If They Survived: They could be kept as "sacred animals". Assuming an intelligence comparable to California Condors, they could be trained for certain tasks. While they would not be big enough to ride or carry an adult, maybe several could be used in tandem to carry a person in a basket.

I'm sorry, but this is an ASB situation. There are only two real ways megafauna could survive: modern-day conservation methods, or humans not settling a region at all.

The best we could possibly hope for is a large area not getting settled by humans until the modern colonial era. Since the people entering will be settled agriculturalists, they may leave the most marginal wilds untouched until the modern era.

For example, in a New World without Native Americans, places like the Canadian taiga, and the Amazon rainforest, would be largely untouched by humans until the 20th century. Even though these areas would begin to be used at that time, incipient conservation would mean the species should have a fair chance to survive to the present.

Similarly, in an Australia without aborigines, any species which can survive around the central desert will probably be fine - provided of course British introductions like foxes, cats, and rats don't create issues.

Madagascar is likely screwed no matter what, however - too close to Africa - the Arabs were bound to discover it the middle ages regardless. New Zealand is dicey - it's small enough I think even modern Western settlers could quickly kill off the moa before conservation kicked in, although a few species could survive in the far south. Smaller islands are totally implausible however.

Oh, and just a brief list of some unappreciated megafauna

Giant Beaver
Macrauchenia
North American Capybara
Genyornis
Meiolania
Quinkana
Thylacoleo
Archaeoindris
Megaladapis
Sivatherium

I dunno.

It seems to me that three key factors are responsible for human derived extinctions. 1) Hunting pressure; 2) Introduced parasites/diseases/secondary predators (rats and gods); 3) Habitat destruction.

Having said that, I note that Africa and Asia managed to hang on to most of their megafauna, despite human presence. So there seems to have been some capacity to adapt to human presence. What this suggests to me is that potentially, some other megafauna may have been able to avoid exctinction with some relatively minor adjustments.

I'm leery of domestication as a cure all. The Moa, for instance, took ten years to grow to maturity. That's rather too long for a domesticated animal.

But then, what seems to have killed the Moa is that they were... kind of stupid. 'Stupid as a Moa' was a Maori proverb. Essentially, I think that there's an argument that the birds were killed off because they were so easy to hunt. They didn't have a sufficient fear/avoidance reaction to humans, it was easy to get close and nail them.

So for the Moa to avoid extinction, all that might have been necessary was a little more paranoia. Suppose that instead of being easy to kill, the birds had tended to flee more rapidly and hide more effectively.

Increased hunting pressure would make it hard for the Moa, but if they'd been able to hang on longer, there might have been some possiblity of short term adaptations that allowed them to rebound. The two that come most strongly to mind are laying more eggs more frequently, and reproducing earlier and growing faster. A population of Moas which managed this might well have survived well into a period of European contact (of course firearms are the ultimate game changer).

Similar factors might have applied to the Elephant Birds and Giant Lemurs of Madagascar. But here, the big key seems to have been habitat destruction as well as potential hunting, so its tricky.

One thing that's remarkable about the Megafauna of Australia is that a lot of these creatures persisted for a long time, overlapping with human colonization for 20 or 30 thousand years.

If the giant short faced kangaroo became extinct only about 8000 years ago, then that means that for 39,000 years it shared the continent with humans. Why did it become extinct. I don't think that there's a clear answer. Habitat destruction, maybe. Or dogs. But the simpler answer is that its imponderable, and I don't think its a radical ASB to assume the possibility that some of the Australian megafauna could have survived into the modern era.

If the reason was climactic or habitat, then a slightly wetter Australia, or perhaps avoiding a bottleneck drought, or perhaps something as simple as enough of the animals being in different locations during a drought, may have been all thats needed.

As for the Megatherium and the American Mastodon, again, extinction is unclear. They survived until relatively recently, and overlapped with human history. Comparable megafauna survived in Africa and Asia. So the extinction mechanism may have been very subtle, and a minor change might well have made the difference. For American Mastodons, it might have been something as subtle as resistance to Eurasian fleas.

Having said that, I note that Africa and Asia managed to hang on to most of their megafauna, despite human presence. So there seems to have been some capacity to adapt to human presence. What this suggests to me is that potentially, some other megafauna may have been able to avoid extinction with some relatively minor adjustments.

The reason Africa (and to a lesser extent Eurasia) kept their megafauna is thought to have been a longer experience with hominids. Essentially, they had millions of years to adapt to humans. Humans developed better hunting techniques as time passed, but the local megafauna lived through this one step at a time, giving them time to become smarter and more wary. In contrast, the Americas, Australia, Madagascar, New Zealand, and the various islands got modern day humans, with a full hunting kit, all at once, which gave them virtually no time to adapt.

Irish Elk
Elk with extremely large antlers
Extinction: P-H boundary
Cause: Hunted by humans, weakened bones when growing antlers, climate change.
How Extinction could have been averted: Less hunting of the species,hunting more of it's other predators.
What If They Survived: If domesticatable: Can you picture Irish warriors riding giant elks with huge antlers into battle? I sure can! If not domesticatable: Become the bears of Europe, but even bigger and with insane antlers.

The reason Africa (and to a lesser extent Eurasia) kept their megafauna is thought to have been a longer experience with hominids. Essentially, they had millions of years to adapt to humans.

Well, technically, humans have only been around for about 200,000 years, give or take, and don't seem to have been initially all that successful. They passed through a population bottleneck or two. Some predecessors, like Homo Erectus, may have been relatively successful hunters, but its unlikely they were all that competitive with the contemporary predators of the era.

So realistically, the emergence of an effective hunting package or toolkit was probably a relatively quick thing, emerging over a period of a few thousand, or tens of thousands of years in Africa. By the time humans move into Asia, approximately 50 to 60,000 years ago, the hunting package is pretty mature and is being encountered by megafauna who don't have a history with it, yet most of them adapted, and must have done so relatively quickly.

The time frames we are looking at suggest not so much evolutionary level adaptations, but relatively quick and minor behavioural adjustments, and potentially adjustments in reproductive behaviour and biology, breeding faster and earlier, maturing faster.

So its not unreasonable that creatures like the Moa or Megalapidis, with slightly different circumstances, who coexisted with humans for centuries, might have postponed their extinctions for a few more centuries with small adaptive adjustments.

With respect to Australian megafauna, much of which coexisted with humans for several millenia, its hardly out of question that they could have made these adjustments, and possibly, their survival and coexistence suggests that these adjustments were being made... but they just hit a bottleneck, or there was some confluence of bad luck.

By the way, I'd continue to argue that human hunting pressure was not the sole factor in human related extinctions. We were introducing parasite species of all sorts, and we were engaging in habitat destruction in many areas.

The persistence of many megafauna until relatively recently suggest more resilience than we're willing to grant. Megatherium endured up until 2000 years ago. That means that for a minimum of 9000 years, it shared the new world with humans.

Why they finally went is a big question. To suggest that they might have hung on for an additional 15% of the time they overlapped with humans is not out of the question.

Humans developed better hunting techniques as time passed, but the local megafauna lived through this one step at a time, giving them time to become smarter and more wary. In contrast, the Americas, Australia, Madagascar, New Zealand, and the various islands got modern day humans, with a full hunting kit, all at once, which gave them virtually no time to adapt.

In part, that's my point.

Irish Elk
Elk with extremely large antlers
Extinction: P-H boundary
Cause: Hunted by humans, weakened bones when growing antlers, climate change.
How Extinction could have been averted: Less hunting of the species,hunting more of it's other predators.
What If They Survived: If domesticatable: Can you picture Irish warriors riding giant elks with huge antlers into battle? I sure can! If not domesticatable: Become the bears of Europe, but even bigger and with insane antlers.

Err... 1) they aren't 'elk', being neither Moose (='elk' in Europe) nor Wapiti (='elk' in North America).
2) they weren't particularly Irish. Skeletons were found in Irish bogs, hence the name, but they were spread across Eurasia, and may have lived last in Siberia.

Giant Camel
Four ton camel, three metres at shoulder
Extinction: 100,000 BC ???
Cause: Unknown, but probably hunted by humans
How Extinction could have been averted: Less hunting, domestication, luck (the Syrian elephant of similar size survived to historical times)
What If They Survived: If domesticatable and can put a howdah on the back then status symbol for rulers. Beyond that, nothing that you can not do with a nomral size camel

I think that the very most likely candidate for survival is the

THYLACINE (TASMANIAN TIGER)
30-40kg predatory marsupial
Extinction: Modern Period
Cause: Human hunting "blitzkrieg" after about 1850, then insufficient attempts at conservation after about 1920.
How Extinction May Have Been Averted: The Europeans are slightly less prejudiced towards marsupials; or maybe 20 or 30 less animals are shot during the 1920s (it became illegal to shoot thylacines in 1936, three months before the last captive animal died)
What if they survived: Tasmania does not feel so guilty, and a large predator continues to dominate the ecosystem. Reports of thylacine behaviour seem to suggest it behaved more like a big cat than anything else, so it would certainly provide an intriguing creature to study.
Note: It is strongly believed by many that the thylacine does in fact survive, if only just. This is perhaps one of the more plausible cryptids- the Tasmanian state government has long since given up looking for the animal, and the island is very sparsely inhabited. Those who DO live out in the countryside seem to be quite aware and happy with the animal's presence, but seem unwilling to divulge this for fear of unwanted attention.

Plus there's the whole fascinating Madagascan ecosystem prior to the arrival of people just a thousand years ago. Giant lemurs the size of gorillas, land dwelling hippopotamuses, and giant elephant birds dominate the herbivore niches, while they are stalked by a panther sized fossa (a type of catlike Madagascan mongoose) and various species of crocodile. Given that these animals seem to have survived until around Shakespeare's time, if a foreign power intervenes in Madagascar earlier and keeps these animals in zoos, perhaps there's a chance for survival. In my own timeline I couldn't resist this, and had the Byzantines conquer Madagascar in the 15th century, and save much of its wildlife by transporting it to zoos in Constantinople and Alexandria.

I don't think that we can generally rely upon the two most common assumptions here.

1) Reduced hunting pressure;

2) Domestication/Preservation of animals.

First, in respect of reduction of hunting pressure, I don't see many effective ways to do that. Basically, the hunting toolkit is the toolkit. The population has to feed itself. So pressure will tend to remain the same.

To get to reduced hunting pressure, we need to throw in more variables.

A reduced human population, and a human population that stays at the reduced level. Why? The only thing I can think is a fiercer incidence of disease. Say a hyper-malaria or something, that acts as a population limiter. Even then I'm skeptical. And it will produce amazing butterflies when that disease escapes its borders.

Or possibly, a cultural difference. Say that the settlers have a different cultural tweak, and that they're much more primarily farmers than hunters. Less hunting there. But the trouble is that this trades off for habitat destruction, which is even worse for extinction.

Or possibly cultural factors limit population expansion. Suppose its a primarily seagoing culture. They congregate on the shorelines. But they don't move inland. Tough, but possible.

Overall, I still say unlikely.

The better approach is to assume that the Animals are able to adapt more quickly to hunting pressure. Not entirely out of the question, given that we've got African and Asian megafauna who were able to adapt relatively quickly to the emergence of a human hunting package, 60 or 70 thousand years ago.

The Moa was already experiencing predation by Hapornis. Potentially, it could have adapted its behaviour and survival strategies. But it might have been that the shift from death from the skies to enemies on land was too great. Still, it would have only taken a little twitch for the Moa to start fleeing wildly at the sight of humans. And they might have endured.

Another approach might be to try to argue for a more resilient habitat. Some change in weather conditions that makes Australia wetter for instance.

One thing is its very tricky to make general comments regarding large animal extinctions. There are a multitude of factors that play in. And the causes of one extinction may not be the same as another.

Actually no, the dodo tasted horribly. The Dutch sailors who first saw them and tried to eat them called them "walgvolgel", which is best translated as disgustingbird. The dodo didn't go extinct by human hunting (wether it were the portuguese or the Dutch), but most likely by the animals the Europeans left on mauritius: pigs, rats, dogs, cats, etc.
If not the Dodo, then, could the Rodrigues Solitare be saved from extinction through domestication?