Go Back   Alternate History Discussion Board > Discussion > Alternate History Books and Media

Old June 24th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Grand Master of the BAM Order

I like what you've got going so far Claudius, keep it up!

Just for giggles though I thought I'd give a shot at the setup though

Okay here is my attempt at the initial setup:

October 3rd, 1878

As the sun began to rise on the east coast of America an event mankind had no preparation for began. A small comet drawn in by Earth's gravity began its descent into the atmosphere. Due to its porous composition, the speed and angle of its descent, and the heat generated from falling into the atmosphere the comet began to break up.

While the size on average that would hit the surface would range from pebble-like to the size of a man's fist it would be the four much larger pieces that would turn the tide of history.

The first large impact hit somewhere in European Russia in in the vicinity of Moscow (within one to two hundred miles away is the current best estimates). The second, and the smallest of the four largest chunks would land in the west of France within the region of Brittany.

This second impact would rouse many in western Europe from their beds. The bright flash that rattled and shattered windows along with the ground shaking would wake even the most heaviest of sleepers. Many would peek outside to see an even brighter streak making its way across the night sky towards the Americas.

The largest piece of the comet would strike to the west of the Atlantic ridge roughly about two-thirds the distance from Europe to North America. Many Americans and Canadians watching the sunrise would have seen a second sun before the concussion burst would have knocked them down moments later.

Within twenty to thirty minutes a series of waves ever increasing in size would scour the east coast of North America, the Caribbean would be inundated, the northern coast of South America would be swamped, the Gulf states, Mexico, and the Central American states would see massive coastal flooding. Europe and Africa would also suffer disastrous waves drowning the coastlines.

The last piece of the comet estimated to be roughly the same size as the impact in Russia would impact in the Montana territory near the Canadian border adding further dust to the already blackening sky.

Untold Millions would die in the immediate aftereffects, and even more would die in the tragedies to follow.

Looking for hilarity then come view Vader in HP's body.
Old June 24th, 2009, 05:50 PM

December 5, 1878 Late in the evening Dr. James Edwards, Chief Surgeon at Cook County Hospital, completed his rounds. By nature an optimistic man, until now he had believed that his hospital, with one of the newest facilities in Chicago, was up to the task set before it. Now he was not so sure. Fifty new cases of diphtheria! Scores of cases of frostbite, and now what seemed to be an outbreak of typhoid fever. The hallways were filled to capacity and still more arrived each day. He knew that other hospitals were just as overburdened as his. The city had taken to bringing wagons to each hospital at night to take away the dead. “This can’t go on,” he thought “But winter is just beginning. What shall we do by spring?”

Half a world away, the United States Consul to Hong Kong took a last look at the harbor from the rail of the steamer Devon. The Governor General had been kind, but firm. “Sir, the government which accredited you to you your post is no longer in existence. Indeed, what news I have received from London convinces me that both our countries are terribly harmed by some natural disaster. I do not know how long the Empire shall be able maintain a presence here in Hong Kong, but I do know that you can no longer serve your nation here. Return home while you can.” The Devon would take him and his family to Yokohama where he would book passage on the giant steamer USS City of Tokio , bound for San Francisco. John Singleton Mosby turned from the rail and went below to join his wife.
Old June 24th, 2009, 05:55 PM

Thankee kindly, Shadow Knight! I think the bunch of us can do at least as good a job as Stirling, (and a lot more realistic.)
Old June 24th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Battery-powered Bureaucrat

I hope you both keep writing this timeline over an interesting idea like the Peshawar Lancers.
Old June 24th, 2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
Thankee kindly, Shadow Knight! I think the bunch of us can do at least as good a job as Stirling, (and a lot more realistic.)
Thanks! I really like where you are going so far and only felt the need to give a bit of greater detail to the initial strike. It being so important to the more realistic TL that we are looking for. I of course have a few ideas of where I'd like to see this go, but am content with what you've got so far.

Just keep in mind that 1876 October time frame was an election year for Congress and before the vote (first Tuesday of November!) so a new Congress could be convened from the remaining states (if at a reduced capacity seeing as how many of the eastern states were wiped out). There would also be plenty of federal judges around that could be used to fill out a new Supreme Court. Senators still being appointed by the States would be easy to fill out.

Grant and Sherman could fill the role of the Executive branch until such time as an election for President could be held.

Actually one of the ideas I had is Illinois (being Grant's home state IIRC) could elect Grant to Congress, where he is made Speaker of the House. Then by popular acclaim is made President until such time as an election can be held (expect martial law until then under the new Army chief, Sherman).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
I hope you both keep writing this timeline over an interesting idea like the Peshawar Lancers.
Thanks.

Old June 24th, 2009, 08:03 PM

Talking

1878 would be an election year for the House and 1/3 of the Senate, but assuming Congress is in session at the time of the Fall, they're all dead. As you said, Senators are appointed by the states at this time, so no constiutional problem. All of the House could be voted upon, but turnout is going to be pretty sparse in some areas. I 'm thinking of Grant becoming Acting President. We all know Sherman's disregard for political office. Besides his talents will be needed in the army. He would make a terrible political leader

Last edited by Claudius; June 24th, 2009 at 08:09 PM..
Old June 25th, 2009, 02:02 AM

Quote:
1878 would be an election year for the House and 1/3 of the Senate, but assuming Congress is in session at the time of the Fall, they're all dead. As you said, Senators are appointed by the states at this time, so no constiutional problem. All of the House could be voted upon, but turnout is going to be pretty sparse in some areas. I 'm thinking of Grant becoming Acting President. We all know Sherman's disregard for political office. Besides his talents will be needed in the army. He would make a terrible political leader
Well all the sitting Congressmen would be dead unless they were out of session, or back campaigning in their states, which is possible I suppose, but it isn't going to be many I'd imagine.

Oh turnout will be horrible, but it would be seen as legitimate I would imagine as long as promised further elections in a year or two after the disaster would occur. I'd expect some serious corruption, but I think the people would except it for the time being.

Oh and I would never encourage Sherman to move out of the Army. His skills there will be needed too much.

I just presented my idea as it would allow, in the eyes of the people, a legitimate way for Grant to become President. Get elected as a member of Congress, become Speaker of the House for a day, and then by appointment of Congress the Speaker of the House will be acting President until elections can be held. Since there is no succession law in the Constitution yet Congress can do what it wants and it be legit.

Just acclaiming him President might not be seen as legit by many people, and the remaining state government might rightly just ignore him if he isn't seen as legit.

Old June 25th, 2009, 04:08 AM

December 8, 1878 “General Grant, sir?” The young aide stood at Grant’s office door. As was his habit, Grant had spent the morning devouring newspaper reports, telegrams, and any other scrap of information he could acquire on the conditions throughout the country. Afternoons were spent with Sherman going over army matters. A reconnaissance-in-force expedition of the stricken coastal areas was what was in his mind, but there were so few good troops to be had…

“Yes son, what is it?”
“There’s a delegation here to see you sir.”
“A delegation? And who might they be?
“Some of the Governors sir”
“At last, action from the Governors.” Grant thought.
“Well show them in Lieutenant. Show them in.

A group of five somber men filed in, led by Governor Hartranft of Pennsylvania.
“Gentlemen. What can I do for you?
“Sir as you know, we have been debating amongst ourselves these past weeks the means by which a proper and Constitutional government can be re-assembled. It seems we Governors are the highest surviving officers in the land at the moment and so it falls to us to solve a problem the Founders never considered. There were some in our number, I confess, that felt what was needed is a Dictator…”

“I remember Joe Hooker telling Lincoln that in 1862.” Grant said “Of course, he had himself in mind for the job!”

“But such a government would lack legitimacy, or any lawful authority over the people.”

“And what have you come up with?”

“Well sir, Under the Presidential Succession Act of 1792, if the President and Vice President are unable to serve, the next in line is the President pro tempore of the Senate”

“But there is no Senate.”

“Yes sir, but our state legislatures will appoint new ones, as is our right under the Constitution, which is what brings us here today.”

Governor Allen of Ohio stepped forward.

“We shall upon our return to our respective states, appoint members to the federal Senate. It is our hope that you will accept the position of Senator from your native state of Ohio, and thus be available to be elected by your fellow Senators President pro tem and thus Acting President. .We can think of no better man.”

“I will have to think about it gentlemen. I am no longer a young man, but if you think the country still needs me to serve I must give it my most serious consideration. You will have my answer tomorrow.”

“Thank you sir, with your permission, we will return tomorrow at this time.” They leave.

“Acting President.” Grant thought. “Well.”

Last edited by Claudius; June 27th, 2009 at 01:57 PM..
Old June 25th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Kicked

Good updates.
Old June 25th, 2009, 01:33 PM

Shadow Knight, Thanks for the ideas. I think this works.
Old June 25th, 2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Shadow Knight, Thanks for the ideas. I think this works.
You're welcome. Damn his native state was Ohio! I thought it was Illinois. Well that's what I get with half remembered information and not bothering to corroborate any of it. :/

I think it works exceptionally well.

Old June 26th, 2009, 06:28 PM

December 30, 1878 The temperature in Chicago fell to -50°F. Similar temperatures are seen in Detroit, South Bend, Toledo, and Buffalo. By now the population of Chicago has been reduced by a combination of disease and severe cold by close to 50%. Those with money have long since taken trains southwards, others without such resources now attempted to make their way out of the city on foot. Most who tried found the conditions unbearable. One observer later stated “Napoleon’s retreat from Moscow must have looked like this. Hundreds of bodies lay frozen by the sides of the roads, partly concealed in the drifting snow.” It is only desperation that induces the attempt. No food has reached the city in weeks and horses, dogs, cats and even rats have been serving as food for the survivors. The decision is reached that further delay will be fatal. By heroic effort, every railroad engine still operational is pressed into service to evacuate the city.

General Phil Sheridan, whose service to the city after its great fire in 1871 was well remembered, organized the retreat to southern Illinois. Gangs of men are pressed into service with shovels, clearing the tracks of the constantly drifting snow and ice. By the end of January, virtually no one is left in the big industrial cities along the Great Lakes. In great encampments along the Ohio River and in northern Kentucky, the refugees wait for winter to pass. Conditions are almost as bad as in the now-deserted cities and only the extreme efforts of Federal troops and state militia and strict rationing of meager food rations prevent even higher death tolls.

On the Great Plains, the remaining herds of buffalo, perhaps relying on instincts 10,000 years old, move southward as well, trailed by the remnants of the Indian tribes that had evaded the “blue coats” thus far.

In the south, disease raged in the zone bordering the coasts, and individual towns and cities protected themselves against contagion with armed patrols along their borders. Individual state governments instigate martial law. In some areas close to the devastated coastlands anarchy prevails.
Old June 26th, 2009, 06:59 PM

Great handling of the first bad winter. Of course in the coming year you need to handle where to put the Midwestern refugees and how to handle the second year of crop declines and famine. Will there be any rail towards California in the coming year?
Old June 26th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Oriental Orientalist

I thank you all for finally getting this project off the ground. Discussion and maps are good and all but this is finally getting to the heart of an AH- the timeline.

Smoke and Daggers- A ten-sided cold war
Old June 26th, 2009, 07:21 PM

Thanks, King Gorilla. The refugees are going to suffer quite a bit more before things settle down to the new normalcy, whatever that is. I think there may be more communication along the UP route through the Rockies, but most of the communication between California and the lands to the east will likely be in the south, along the Southern Pacific route. That will involve them in the politics of Texas and Mexico. (Did you know that Col. Mosby was a resident of California IOTL?)
Old June 26th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Met guy who met Beatles, 10/27

This is an ATL now? Neat!

Throw in Joshua Norton if you can. It'll probably be fun to see his reaction to his "dominion" getting frozen and flood.
Old June 26th, 2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strategos' Risk View Post
I thank you all for finally getting this project off the ground. Discussion and maps are good and all but this is finally getting to the heart of an AH- the timeline.
Thanks, we appreciate that!
Old June 26th, 2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Gorilla View Post
Great handling of the first bad winter. Of course in the coming year you need to handle where to put the Midwestern refugees and how to handle the second year of crop declines and famine. Will there be any rail towards California in the coming year?
Well I'd imagine many of them might be resettled along the coastline in the Gulf to rebuild the ports there. To get fishing back as a source of food, and to import food from South America (Argentina).

Also the southwest is still relatively unpopulated at this time so some might resettled there in an attempt to encourage further growth of herding.

I do wonder about the Canadians though. Guess most of them that didn't die right off are going to be freezing to death as the rail system to the south is going to be mostly in accessible.

Old June 26th, 2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Knight View Post
Well I'd imagine many of them might be resettled along the coastline in the Gulf to rebuild the ports there. To get fishing back as a source of food, and to import food from South America (Argentina).

Also the southwest is still relatively unpopulated at this time so some might resettled there in an attempt to encourage further growth of herding.

I do wonder about the Canadians though. Guess most of them that didn't die right off are going to be freezing to death as the rail system to the south is going to be mostly in accessible.
Funny you should mention the Canadians. I've been thinking about them too. Don't want to wipe them out though. They're very nice people
Old June 26th, 2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Funny you should mention the Canadians. I've been thinking about them too. Don't want to wipe them out though. They're very nice people
Canuskimo state?