Exactly what it says on the tin...
This thread should serve a similiar role as the Alternate Weapons of War thread, but focus on civilian vehicles from ATLs.

Anything counts :

1. Human- or animal-propelled vehicles (e.g. bikes)
2. Motor vehicles (cars, buses, motorbikes, etc.)
3. Trains (locomotives as well as cars and wagons)
4. Ships
5. Aircraft (passanger, cargo, sport and special)
6. Spacecraft (anything from probes and sattelites to manned ships and space stations)

Feel free to contribute.

Ive been waiting for this thread for an age :D

Let me introduce you to one of my favourite sites , David Zhondys "Tales of Futures past" and its marvelous section on retro transport http://davidszondy.com/future/Living/play.htm

Its highlights include everything from rocket maglevs to Sea slugs. Let me share some with you

First , we have the steam powered Seaplane
moz-screenshot.jpg

steamplane.jpg

If the steam carriage came to general use in the 1830s. Actually contemporary satire, but close enough for AH, I guess.

758px-1831-View-Whitechapel-Road-steam-carriage-caricature.jpg

If the steam carriage came to general use in the 1830s. Actually contemporary satire, but close enough for AH, I guess.

I kick myself everyday that this didnt come to be , simply due to pure awesomeness

I've seen that site before. There are some hilarious and terrifying ideas on that site.

Indeed , and his comments on each are just as entertaining . Truely an internet goldmine

Yes, I too love Tales of Future Past ! :D I think I've even saw those specific pictures already, but there are still literally tons of cool retro sci-fi-esque pics over there, so I doubt I'd seen more than a fifth of the whole content.

Keep it coming ! :)

This thread deserves to live and grow.

P.S. A humble proposition for an art challenge : Try to recreate the vehicles described by Tony Jones in his Cliveless World TL. The "wasp" cars he mentions sound awesome ! :cool: And the TL also seems to have a sort-of fetish for assymetric aircraft (similiar to many never produced Blohm und Voss concepts from WWII).

Last edited:
That's a good thing, I think it's a boat.

Its a ground effect vehicle. The russians went nuts about them in the 60s and 70s , producing the much famed Caspian Sea Monster (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_effect_vehicle#Ekranoplan_wing)

They are a strange vehicle to look at , they only fly approx 7-8 feet above the waves , but are vastly more efficient in their lifting properties , so can be much larger.

And yes , futrures past rocks so hard.

Now , Some Zepplins

Japanese flying torpedo.

Possible alternate design for the Yokosuka MXY-7 Ohka?

blossom.jpg

I've only seen a little of this guy's stuff, but I'm a fan.

Japanese flying torpedo.

Possible alternate design for the Yokosuka MXY-7 Ohka?

I've only seen a little of this guy's stuff, but I'm a fan.

The story that goes with the picture:

Keith Thompson said:
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]ATOMIC BLOSSOM
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]
[/FONT]​
After receiving V2 rocket plans, plutonium, and uranium oxide snuck into Japan by German U-boat No.234, the Imperial Japanese applied their new technology to the pre-existing Cherry Blossom kamikaze plane. This new jet was to function as a human piloted atomic bomb to be deployed from bombers during the defense of Japan.

Key Features:
Large detonation hammer ensures the bomb explodes upon impact in case the air burst mechanisms fail.

40mm guns fixed to main fuselage after brave Allied pilots began trying to detonate the Blossoms prior to their goal by flying their planes straight into the Blossom's path.

Rotationally adjustable vents allow the plane a slight degree of directional correction after being launched from a heavy bomber.
The canopy and tail are the only recognizable parts left of the Blossom's fuselage which has been adapted from the Mitsubishi A6M Zero fighter aircraft.

The canopy is welded shut after the pilot has entered the cockpit.

I agree with you, his art is awesome. The accompanying stories are also great, in a nicely twisted AH/fantasy/horror kind of way.

Limosines designed, and painted, to look like famous ships.

Zeppelins and blimps shaped like a swastika, lotus leaves, the White House, Bill Clinton's head...these could be just for show, floating over the football stadium during a game. So aerodynamic efficiency wouldn't be the chief priority.

Passenger vessels are designed with the highest point near the middle, and they do loom high over the surface of the ocean, so it might not be too much of a stretch to design the exterior to look like famous locales...a ship's outline might resemble the skyline of Manhattan Island...?

Or is that to ridiculous to consider?

Thande

Donor
Soviet Ekranoplans, which fly a few feet above the ground (has to be very flat, so usually they fly over water) a la Star Wars using the little-understood "ground effect". They exist in real life but haven't yet caught on in a big way.

Ekranoplan_of_1980s.jpg

Wig18.gif

lun01.jpg

1.jpg