WI: Napoleon escapes from St. Helena

Where where where on Earth is Nappy Bonaparte gonna be (in the Persian Gulf). How many weeks, how many sheikhs?

Although I can also do a Karmen Sandiego one if that one's better-known.

As for a serious answer: do you think he has any chance of having any real impact anymore? France cannot defeat even, say, Russia, let alone the entire Coalition without several years of unhindered preparation.

I'm changing the date of his escape to 1818, as there was a false rumor of his escape that year and we have a better picture of the cultural reaction to it.

Here's a reference from Wikipedia:

In 1818, The Times reported a false rumour of Napoleon's escape and said the news had been greeted by spontaneous illuminations in London.[note 10] There was sympathy for him in the British Parliament: Lord Holland gave a speech which demanded the prisoner be treated with no unnecessary harshness.[122] Napoleon kept himself informed of the events through The Times and hoped for release in the event that Holland became Prime Minister. He also enjoyed the support of Lord Cochrane, who was involved in Chile's and Brazil's struggle for independence and wanted to rescue Napoleon and help him set-up a new empire in South America, a scheme frustrated by Napoleon's death in 1821.[123] There were other plots to rescue Napoleon from captivity including one from Texas, where exiled soldiers from the Grande Armée wanted a resurrection of the Napoleonic Empire in America. There was even a plan to rescue him with a primitive submarine.[124] For Lord Byron, Napoleon was the epitome of the Romantic hero, the persecuted, lonely and flawed genius. The news that Napoleon had taken up gardening at Longwood also appealed to more domestic British sensibilities.[125]

Bonapatosos?

I once ran a story for a wargame campaign that had Bonapart escape and meet up with a host of followers in the Balkans. There he led the Greek movement for independance, capturing the British publics imagination and at the same time gaining the support of Christians throughout Europe in his campaign to throw of the Ottoman oppressors. The result held images of the vetran Grenadiers of Napoleons Guard fighting along side British Line sent to recapture Boney, but becoming embroiled in the war and having to fight for their survival! Stirring stuff, and a great time was had by all for nearly a year whilst this campain played out.

He would try to make it to Martinique. Problem is the English had invaded that island before. He would probably not have gone to French Guiana since he had sent people there. But he would probably be able to better defend French Guiana against english attack than he would if he controlled Martinique.

The Sandman

Banned
How about Brazil? It's not all that far from St. Helena compared to the other options, it's shortly going to be in need of an Emperor, and the idea of screwing the Portugese would probably appeal to Nappy considering the course of the Peninsular War.

Or he heads for the Spanish colonies in the Americas and gets involved with the rebellions there.

How about Brazil? It's not all that far from St. Helena compared to the other options, it's shortly going to be in need of an Emperor, and the idea of screwing the Portugese would probably appeal to Nappy considering the course of the Peninsular War.

Or he heads for the Spanish colonies in the Americas and gets involved with the rebellions there.

There were also fillibusters in America that wanted to create a Napoleonic empire out of Mexico, thought I doubt that they would be useful

In Hornblower in the West Indies there was a story involving Horatio preventing an attempt by fanatical former Old Guard members to bring Napoleon back to France. Given France having been brought so low, and the King being less than popular at the time, the Old Guard - and Hornblower - believed the French would embrace the man who had led them to glory, and potentially reopen the Napoleonic Wars.

In the event, Napoleon died before they could reach St Helena. I'm not sure if Forester's implications of Napoleon returning to power if he could but reach France have anything in them. Was he correct in his assertations as to the likely French response?

MrP

Banned
In Hornblower in the West Indies there was a story involving Horatio preventing an attempt by fanatical former Old Guard members to bring Napoleon back to France. Given France having been brought so low, and the King being less than popular at the time, the Old Guard - and Hornblower - believed the French would embrace the man who had led them to glory, and potentially reopen the Napoleonic Wars.

In the event, Napoleon died before they could reach St Helena. I'm not sure if Forester's implications of Napoleon returning to power if he could but reach France have anything in them. Was he correct in his assertations as to the likely French response?

I recall that story - rather good. Though C. Northcote Parkinson's biography of Hornblower (check it out, it's a nice addition to the series) points out that British naval forces in the area at the time were sufficient to quash any escape attempt.