Alternative British fighter development in the 1930's

An idle thought just occured to me while reading the German heavy bombers thread. What fighters would the RAF use if the Spitfire and Hurricane had not been developed for some reason?

Using in-line engines Faireys had their Fulmar which led to the Firefly. Then Miles produced the M-20 which could outperform a Hurricane with fixed undercarriage! Also Martin-Baker had a series of fighters which were never adopted that ended with the MB-5 which has been labeled the peak of [FONT=Verdana, Arial]single-seat piston-engined fighter development. Then if the reason for there being no Spitfire or Hurricane was the lack of a suitable in-line engine there would be the Boulton Paul, Bristol and Gloster designs mentioned in the radial engine thread. [/FONT]

Thought I'd back-track a little - came upon this, surprised not more postings!

Hard to imagine why no Hurricane & Spitfire, let us assume for sake of arguement that its problem with the Merlin - that either means the aircraft will be available much later, or that Hawker & Supermarine design aircraft with different engines.
Or maybe Supermarine is busy making the 313/312 fighter/light bomber.

Firstly, IMO the Gloster F.5/34 gets ordered, and the canon armed Boulton Paul P.88 - intriguing Battle of Britain with those two!??

Perhaps more progress is made with the Whirlwind, but I think serviceablity would be a problem.

In OTL the RAF made attempts to buy the Re.2000, but Italy declared War before anything could proceed. In this ATL, perhaps more likely to go for the Gruman Martlet/Wildcat - France & Greece placed orders, if the UK got there first - whether for the RAF or FAA, more chance of knowing what to do with them, and be operational earlier.