Short Alternate USA Timeline

JJohnson

Banned
This is just a short outline that I will expand upon later today for an alternate USA expansion. I'm not looking for a huge USA-win here, but it's moderately larger than our USA.

1812-1816 - War of 1812, same as OTL, except the US makes a more decisive naval victory in the Caribbean, off the coast of Jamaica, which in the final treaty is annexed to the USA.
1822 - 1854 - Gran Colombia becomes a US ally, working with Americans who bring a stabilizing influence on this country, making the eventual United States of Colombia a successful and stable Latin American country by the turn of the century.
1841 - US supports Yucatan in independence, and annexes the territory, and the Republic of Rio Grande
1842-1845 - US-Mexican War, sparked by the annexation of the two territories, the US manages to push the southern border to Durango/Sinaloa.
1846 - Texas, an ally in the US-Mexican War, joins the United States.
1848 - President Polk buys Cuba from Spain
1848 - War of 1848 - feud over the Oregon Territory breaks out into a war with the UK; US sends troops and clashes with redcoats. The final treaty cuts Canada off from the Pacific, the US claiming Oregon Country straight up to 54 40.
1860-1865 - Civil War; France and Mexico interfere a little more in this timeline, and the final peace treaty involves French Guyana joining the US.
1868 - Alaska purchased.
1868 - Napoleon III, fresh from defeat in his adventure in Mexico, sows discord in Austria, igniting divisions that lead to the downfall of Austria-Hungary.
1870 - Durango, South California become states. Yucatan becomes a state. Jamaica becomes a state.
1870 - Austrian empire falls; Bohemia and Moravia join Prussia seeking stability, and over the next year, so do the other Austrian states.
1871 - German unification under Prussia, as a result of the Franco-Prussian War. Luxembourg and Liechtenstein also decide to join. Bismarck seeks careful alliances in Europe, and decides to ally with Britain, not Russia. Germany seeks cooperative colonialism, industrializing and colonizing Africa with Germans and English.
1895-97 - Britain-US Semi-War - US and UK almost go to war over North American and Guyanan claims, but the situation is diffused by moving the North American border of Canada eastward to the eastern border of OTL Alberta up to Edmonton, in return for more territory for British Guyana. The US agrees to pay the British $50 million in compensation.
1898 - Spanish American War. US gets Puerto Rico, Guam, and Philippines.
1912 - World War I - Germany-UK-Italy fight France, Russia, Ottomans. President Teddy Roosevelt leads the US into the fight near the end of the war, after having secured Panama as a US protectorate for the canal.
1917 - End of WW1 - France is blamed and stripped of its colonies, which go to Germany and the UK; all Caribbean islands and French Guyana go to the US, as do their pacific islands. French Africa is divided between Germany and Britain. Chinese Spheres of Influence are strengthened into a government under the UK, Germany, and USA. Greece is given the Aegean-facing territories of the former Ottoman Empire, and Turks are deported from the new Greece, with its capital at Constantinople. Italy takes Nice, Savoy, and Corsica from France.
1917-1927 - US citizens settle in Guyana and across to British Guyana, strengthening ties to USA.
1929 - Stock market crash leading to the rise of fascism in France, sowing seeds of WW2.
1930 - Cuba becomes a state; Puerto Rico becomes a state. By 1960, the majority of both islands will speak English.
1936 - France and Spain join the Paris-Madrid Axis, followed by Warsaw and Tokyo, and Russia.
1937 - Joe Kennedy is a pro-French sympathizer, actively going on radio shows promoting US support to de Gaulle's government.
1938 - led by De Gaulle, France attacks Germany, igniting WW2. FDR has many French sympathizers in his administration who praise de Gaulle's leadership and ability to simply 'get things done'. Britain and Germany are hit hard by France, Spain, and Russia, and are eager to get the US into the fight, but are hard rpessed to get FDR into the fight. British war ministers attempt to find anything to get FDR defeated in the next election, and use his pro-French, pro-communist sympathies to do so. Italy under Mussolini joins the Axis.
1939 - French attack British Guyana; US troops fight heavily to free the British colony.

Axis - France, Spain, Italy (until 1943), Poland (as a Russian ally), Russia, Turkey
Allies - UK, US, Mexico, Colombia, Brazil, Germany, Denmark, et al.

1940 - Teddy Roosevelt Jr. defeats FDR in election when British and German information reveals many pro-French sympathizers subverting US interests in FDRs government. TRs Republicans run on an internationalist, pro-war, anti-communist (linking communism to the New Deal) platform.
1941 - TR Jr begins a build up of the war department, but concentrates on Europe, and is attacked at Pearl Harbor by Japan.
1941-1947 - The USA joins WW2 on the side of Britain, Germany, Greece, and other allies. Italy capitulates and joins the Allies in 1943, under terms of gaining Carthage from Tunisia.
1945 - Spain surrenders, but is occupied by France.
1946 - Poland surrenders, where allies reveal concentration camps eliminating German and Jewish populations, under Polish/Russian/French orders. Turkey surrenders.
1947 - France surrenders as de Gaulle commits suicide before getting captured. Russia and Japan finally surrender when the US drops atomic weapons on Siberia and Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Treaty of Paris, 1947: post-war europe is adjusted, as President Roosevelt and Prime Minister Churchill discussed during the war.

-The Netherlands gains Flanders and French Dunkirk, while Belgium gets the French arrondissements of Saint Quentin, Vervins, Sedan, Charleville-Mezieres, and Nord-Pas-de-Calais.
-Germany gets the remainder of Alsace-Lorraine, and Belfort. Burgundy is designated a demilitarized zone until 1957, when it can vote to join France again or join Switzerland. Germany gains South and New East Prussia from Poland.
-France is divided into 4 occupation zones:
*UK: Brittainy, Normandy, Pays-de-la-Loire, Ile-de-France, Picardie, Centre
*US: Aquitaine, Mid-Pyrenees, Langue-doc, Poitou-Charentes, Limousin
*DE: Champagne-Ardennes, Bourgogne, Franche-Comte
*IT: Auvergne, Rhone-Alpes, PACA

-Russia is divided into its constituent Republics, and the head communists are tried for war crimes. The Volga German Republic is established as a join UK-DE-US protectorate, with military bases for all three world powers.
1948 - China falls to the communists in the Russian zone, while the US-UK-DE sphere of influence retains itself as the Republic of China against Mao. Communist China had financial backing from Communist Siberia.
1948 - British Mandate of Palestine become the State of Israel.
1949 - British Guyana asks to dissolve its membership in the British Dominions; the UK signs a treaty handing it over to the USA, which merges it with former French Guyana to Guyana territory.
1950-1952 - Siberian and Chinese communists invade Korea attempting to establish a communist dictatorship, but are defeated by the US, Germany, and the UK. The US and the UK put bases in the Republic of China along the Communist Border, and invest heavily in infrastructure and trade with RoC, quickly industrializing the young nation.
1957 - Chinese and Siberian communists support guerillas in Vietnam and Laos; US troops intervene, but become involved in protracted fighting.
1958 - Jamaica becomes a state.
1959 - Alaska, Hawaii, and Guyana become states.
1960 - LB Johnson wins over Nixon, who goes on to be a Senator. Johnson's VP is Adlai Stevenson. Senator John Kennedy does not win enough votes in the primary due to his father's pro-French stance in WW2.
1961 - Johnson escalates Vietnam and Laos.
1964 - Henry Cabot Lodge, Jr. wins over Johnson's re-election bid by massively supporting Civil Rights legislation and creating a North American Tariff-Free Zone between the US, Canada, Mexico, and the United States of Colombia. VP is James Rhodes, Secretary of State Hiram Fong, Senator Margaret Chase Smith becomes Secretary of the Interior. Goldwater does not win, but joins William F Buckley in providing the intellectual basis for American Conservatism based on low taxes, equality before the law for all Americans regardless of race, strong national defense, and minimal government regulation of private affairs.
1968 - Lodge invites MLK to the White House on April 2, 3, and 4 to discuss Civil Rights in the US. Lodge begins draw down of US troops as anti-war sentiment grows; he orders final surge and gets the Vietnamese to surrender before pulling out.

Alt_US_by_JJohnson1701.jpg

Last edited:

JJohnson

Banned
Everyone from the later half of the 20th century is going away in my next version; there are some ripples on the timeline, but I haven't put them in just yet.

I need to re-figure how to deal with Russia after WW2, being a semi-Axis member, and what TR Jr. will do as the President.

How exactly does the Union still win the civil war if the Uk and France...the two dominant industrial and military powers of this time intervene more actively...

What is the nature of that intervention...? Where do the nitrates for the Union war effort come from if not Britain?

what you have suggested is a virtual impossibility ditto on Oregon. I won't even bother with the maritimes in 1812. Loyalist population... completely hostile, and Halifax..... enough said. What you suggest is near complete impossibility...

sorry dude...

back to the drawing board....

JJohnson

Banned
I'm still figuring that part regarding the Civil War; Britain politically was in favor of the South, but if I remember correctly, couldn't publicly support them due to the South's support of slavery. France was playing around in Mexico here, so they could easily still be brought in on the South's side, to eventually give the Caribbean to the US.

As for the UK, I was considering some kind of token support to the South, but I'm going to take a further look on it and re-edit the timeline.

As for Oregon country, there was the '54 40 or fight' mentality in the US at the time; how possible would they spark an actual war in the US' favor? Perhaps winning this, then the 1895 border dispute would yield the borders described.

JJohnson

Banned
I've edited the timeline a bit removing more of the more modern politicians who may not go into politics in this timeline.

1860-1865 - Civil War; France and Mexico interfere a little more in this timeline, and the final peace treaty involves French Guyana joining the US.

1868 - Napoleon III, fresh from defeat in his adventure in Mexico, sows discord in Austria, igniting divisions that lead to the downfall of Austria-Hungary.

1871 - German unification under Prussia, as a result of the Franco-Prussian War.

1912 - World War I - Germany-UK-Italy fight France, Russia, Ottomans.

1917 - End of WW1 - France is blamed and stripped of its colonies, which go to Germany and the UK; all Caribbean islands and French Guyana go to the US, as do their pacific islands. French Africa is divided between Germany and Britain.

Italy takes Nice, Savoy, and Corsica from France.

1929 - Stock market crash leading to the rise of fascism in France, sowing seeds of WW2.

1936 - France and Spain join the Paris-Madrid Axis, followed by Warsaw and Tokyo, and Russia.

1937 - Joe Kennedy is a pro-French sympathizer, actively going on radio shows promoting US support to de Gaulle's government.

1938 - led by De Gaulle, France attacks Germany, igniting WW2. FDR has many French sympathizers in his administration who praise de Gaulle's leadership and ability to simply 'get things done'. Britain and Germany are hit hard by France, Spain, and Russia, and are eager to get the US into the fight, but are hard rpessed to get FDR into the fight. British war ministers attempt to find anything to get FDR defeated in the next election, and use his pro-French, pro-communist sympathies to do so. Italy under Mussolini joins the Axis.

1939 - French attack British Guyana; US troops fight heavily to free the British colony.

Axis - France, Spain, Italy (until 1943), Poland (as a Russian ally), Russia, Turkey
Allies - UK, US, Mexico, Colombia, Brazil, Germany, Denmark, et al.

1940 - Teddy Roosevelt Jr. defeats FDR in election when British and German information reveals many pro-French sympathizers subverting US interests in FDRs government.

1945 - Spain surrenders, but is occupied by France.

1946 - Poland surrenders, where allies reveal concentration camps eliminating German and Jewish populations, under Polish/Russian/French orders.

1947 - France surrenders as de Gaulle commits suicide before getting captured.

Treaty of Paris, 1947: post-war europe is adjusted, as President Roosevelt and Prime Minister Churchill discussed during the war.

-The Netherlands gains Flanders and French Dunkirk, while Belgium gets the French arrondissements of Saint Quentin, Vervins, Sedan, Charleville-Mezieres, and Nord-Pas-de-Calais.
-Germany gets the remainder of Alsace-Lorraine, and Belfort. Burgundy is designated a demilitarized zone until 1957, when it can vote to join France again or join Switzerland.
-France is divided into 4 occupation zones:
*UK: Brittainy, Normandy, Pays-de-la-Loire, Ile-de-France, Picardie, Centre
*US: Aquitaine, Mid-Pyrenees, Langue-doc, Poitou-Charentes, Limousin
*DE: Champagne-Ardennes, Bourgogne, Franche-Comte
*IT: Auvergne, Rhone-Alpes, PACA

No offense meant at all old boy, but I'm starting to think you have a secret crush on Marianne. ;)

An interesting timeline, especially since one of my heroes, TR, Jr. becomes President. However, I have a few questions:
1. How does the U.S. claim Jamaica? A few frigate victories in the Caribbean would not lead to an England giving up one of its most valuable sugar colonies.
2. If Polk bought Cuba, how does the Spanish-American War come about on schedule in 1898? Puerto rRco was not in rebellion and in OTL the U.S. had little or no interest in the Philippines before the war.
3. A defeated France and a declining Spain don't seem to be much of an Axis. What type of government does Russia have when it decides to join them?
4. As noted above, an Oregon war seems unlikely. A total U.S. vctory leading to annexation of the entire Oregon countyr seems even more unlikely.

I love a good Ameriwank, but I agree this is ASB.

I wonder what the most likely Ameriwank timeline is?