Kievan Rus in Siberia?

In OTL, Russia didn't expand past the Urals until after the Mongols had been kicked out. What if they had expanded earlier? In the Keivian era?

In OTL, Russia didn't expand past the Urals until after the Mongols had been kicked out. What if they had expanded earlier? In the Keivian era?
Russians went into Siberia because they needed fur for export (and for luxury consumption in Russia proper), and Eastern European fur animals were almost exterminated by 16th century. If Kievan Rus' hunters somehow intensified hunting, then expansion beyond the Urals would begin earlier.In OTL, Novgorodian merchants-cum-pirates (so-called "ushkuiniki") traveled to westernmost part of Siberia as early as in 12th century. There was simply not very much sense to conquer Siberia, when they had almost unexploited forests of Northern Russia. Siberian expeditions were very risky enterprises - normal mortality was somewhere near 80% of expedition's participants (data of early 17th century - with firearms and improved boats).

They expanded. That expansion sat base for later expansion past the Ural.

I just like to remind everyone that Slavs didn't control all territory we think of as "European Russia" during Kievan times. Far from it. Novgorod was far north, but it was more of isolated territory, almost (there was thin band of territory along modern Latvian border) disconnected from Slavic heartland of Ukraine and Poland. Kievan Rus did expand from Kursk and Belgorod all the way to Volga-Oka basin (and even established new heartland there, between Vladimir and Suzdal), preparing for future eastward push. They simply didn't have enough time to go to Siberia before Mongols came visiting.

There was hardly any population in Rus to do that kind of expanding. I mean, there was just that much free territory they already controlled...why would you want to "expand" to Siberia?

They couldn't even hold on to the Don settlements (at Sarkel, for example) in the 10th c.

Still - if you were really trying to get "a" settlement in Siberia before the Mongols come, you need to keep it unified and a permanent base on the Volga. Which means defeating Khazars and holding on to Khazaria or as above with the Volga Bulgars.

There was hardly any population in Rus to do that kind of expanding. I mean, there was just that much free territory they already controlled...why would you want to "expand" to Siberia?

They couldn't even hold on to the Don settlements (at Sarkel, for example) in the 10th c.

And AIUI, the Kievan Rus was more or less all about controlling the river trade from the Baltic to Constantinople.

Still - if you were really trying to get "a" settlement in Siberia before the Mongols come, you need to keep it unified and a permanent base on the Volga. Which means defeating Khazars and holding on to Khazaria or as above with the Volga Bulgars.

Yes, I prefer working with an idea to poo-pooing the POD. I think you'd be talking isolated settlement(s) of Slavs and Scandinavians. Maybe a united principality. But no central connection to Kiev.

Question is: would these "Eastern Rus" convert to Christianity? I'd suspect not.

Question is: would these "Eastern Rus" convert to Christianity? I'd suspect not.
By 1100, all nobles and great merchants were Orthodox Christians. So, if trans-Urals expansion took place after 11th century, Pagan Russian Siberia would be next to impossible.

By 1100, all nobles and great merchants were Orthodox Christians. So, if trans-Urals expansion took place after 11th century, Pagan Russian Siberia would be next to impossible.
Or at all, because I don't think that a pagan Kievan state would ever be powerful enough to expand into Siberia.

Easiest river road to Siberia goes through Volga-Kama-Chusovaya river system and confluence of Volga and Kama is well into Steppe, which makes Russian advance there dubious (Kieavn Rus could hold it's own against nomads, but couldn't push deep into nomadic heartland). OK, to be absolutely fair, there's a portage from Northern Dvina basin to Kama, allowing to travel from Northern Russia to Urals through "nomad-safe" forest area, but it's one bridge too far. As Sahaidak said, it doesn't make sense to go to Siberia before Northern Russian fur resources are exhausted.

Or at all, because I don't think that a pagan Kievan state would ever be powerful enough to expand into Siberia.

In OTL, Ivan IV took Kazan in 1552. Yermak set out (private initiative) in merely 30 years. In 98 years, Dežnjov was at Bering Strait.

The Kievan Rus was not solely about Volkhov-Dnieper waterway (Ladoga, Novgorod, Kiev, united by Oleg). Already Sineus settled in Belozero, and the upper Volga - Oka region, with Rostov, Vladimir and the like was an important part of Kievan Rus.

Svyatoslav, a heathen, attacked Khazar empire in 960-s. He reached Volga Bulgaria, sacked Khazar capital Atil in Volga delta, went as far as Terek, conquered Sarkel on Don, Tmutarakan on Taman peninsula...

Later on, in OTL?

Volga Bulgaria remained a state independent of either Khazars or Kievan Rus. It was occasionally raided, but never held, till 1552.

Sarkel and Tmutarakan, however, lasted as Russian outposts for well over a century. Russian rulers sometimes visited them, they had Russian princes or governors - like various cities of Russia proper.

In late 11th or 12th century, when Kievan Rus disintegrated and steppe nomads (Polovets) got stronger, those outposts were isolated and fell or decayed.

Now, ATL...

Suppose that Svyatoslav installs a Ryurikid prince in Bulgar - so the Russian heathens conquer and hold the region.

How would the 11th century history of Bulgaria be if its status as another province of Russia - like Rostov or Vladimir - were the status quo?

Easiest river road to Siberia goes through Volga-Kama-Chusovaya river system and confluence of Volga and Kama is well into Steppe, which makes Russian advance there dubious (Kieavn Rus could hold it's own against nomads, but couldn't push deep into nomadic heartland).

Well, you could access the said road if you controlled Bulgar on the Volga, no?

I think historically Nizhny Novgorod served a similar function - a depot for expeditions east, and that's more western than Kazan.

Still, as you said, historically the expeditions happened more to the north, and why go there when you don't even control the Oka completely?

I'd think that for Kievans/Varangians to settle beyond the Urals, you could use an earlier POD, before the mass baptisms and conversions.

Well the Varangians were usually centered around the Prince and his men who lived off plunder and trade. Other "Varangians" had temporary centres on the upper tributaries of the Volga contemporary with the rise of Novgorod and Kiev, but unlike the Dniepr route, the Volga region didn't have the large Slavic centres that eventually became the centrepoint of Rus, so they didn't succeed in the long run and couldn't compete with Bulgar.

So a pre-Christian "Rus" Siberia seems increasingly unlilkely to me.

I suspect the people living there would object.
All 3 of them? Look, roving bands of axe-wielding adventurers in chainmail does not sound like much, but stone-age hunters-gatherers of Siberia around 1000 AD aren't likely to be able to resist. Not when their biggest unit of social organization was an extended family with dozen males (land couldn't support bigger groups).

Suppose that Svyatoslav installs a Ryurikid prince in Bulgar - so the Russian heathens conquer and hold the region.

How would the 11th century history of Bulgaria be if its status as another province of Russia - like Rostov or Vladimir - were the status quo?
It wasn't a problem for Rus to defeat nomadic hordes and to occupy whatever urban settlements they have. It was a problem for them to hold on conquered territory, as soon as said territory was deeper than 5 miles into Steppe proper. East European border between Turkic nomads and Slavic farmers was more or less static from 8th to 16th century and then it slowly went farther south, 1000 years of flaming frontier. Svyatoslav could install as many Rus princes of Bolghar as he wanted to, sedentiary duchy in the middle of Great Steppe corridor was doomed to fall in 100 years or so (as they all did IOTL).

Well, you could access the said road if you controlled Bulgar on the Volga, no?
Yes, but I'm very skeptical about Rus (or any other agriculture-based medieval state) being able to firmly control anything in the middle of the Steppe in pre-gun era. And Bolghar fits the "in the middle" definition.

Yes, but I'm very skeptical about Rus (or any other agriculture-based medieval state) being able to firmly control anything in the middle of the Steppe in pre-gun era. And Bolghar fits the "in the middle" definition.

Haha, I come from nearby the Kazakh border. Tatarstan doesn't look like the "middle of the Steppe" to me by comparison, but perhaps that's just personal perception warp.

But yes, okay, I agree. Any Steppe power could easily project up to Bogar, but they could do the same to Kiev or worse Pereyaslavl. But Kiev and even Pereyaslavl held until the Mongols.

Granted, Pereyaslavl wasn't able to expand much at all beyond the border fortesses, so further discussion may be moot, but I'm interested in what people have to say anyway.

So what would make a Sviatoslavich-held Bolgar more like Sarkel than Pereyaslavl?

East European border between Turkic nomads and Slavic farmers was more or less static from 8th to 16th century
But there were Turkish (Tatar and Chuvash) and Fenno-Ugrian (Mari and Mordva) farmers on Middle Volga.
Svyatoslav could install as many Rus princes of Bolghar as he wanted to, sedentiary duchy in the middle of Great Steppe corridor was doomed to fall in 100 years or so (as they all did IOTL).

Um, Volga Bulgaria OTL WAS agricultural-based medieval state. As was the Khanate of Kazan.

Svyatoslav, a heathen, attacked Khazar empire in 960-s. He reached Volga Bulgaria, sacked Khazar capital Atil in Volga delta, went as far as Terek, conquered Sarkel on Don, Tmutarakan on Taman peninsula...
FWIW, he also attacked Bulgaria and made punitive plans to migrate with the Rus people to the Danube. (I remember reading that in some book a while ago.)

Sarkel and Tmutarakan, however, lasted as Russian outposts for well over a century. Russian rulers sometimes visited them, they had Russian princes or governors - like various cities of Russia proper.
However, the rest of Khazaria was lost very quickly to the Patzinaks and other encroaching nomads.

I expect this would be as successful as Sviatoslav's endeavors in the south - IE any gains only short-lived and in the end unimportant.