Go Back   Alternate History Discussion Board > Discussion > Alternate History Books and Media

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old September 5th, 2005, 05:27 PM
luakel luakel is offline
All You Need Is Cash
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Queen City of the West
Posts: 1000 or more
Send a message via AIM to luakel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straha
Reich 1 has the US massing an invasion force

Reich 2 has the US on a losing side of a cold war

3 Reich 4 had a nuclear war
Reich's 1 and 2 sound interesting... What else is in them?
__________________
Bessie Braddock: Sir, you are drunk.
Winston Churchill: And you, madam, are ugly. But in the morning, I shall be sober.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old September 5th, 2005, 07:00 PM
FederationX FederationX is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Francisco, California
Posts: 689
Send a message via AIM to FederationX
Quote:
Originally Posted by luakel
Reich's 1 and 2 sound interesting... What else is in them?
Reich-1: BEF destroyed at Dunkirk. Germany and U.S. defeat Japan together and as of 1951 are fighting World War 3. Both sides have active atomic research programs.

Reich-2: Germany makes seperate peace Great Britain (Lord Halifax is prime minister). Germany gets bogged down in Russia and an armistace is signed in 1943. The United States, Germany, Great Britian, Japan and the Soviet Union are all rival world powers racing to put missiles on the moon.

Reich-3: Japan strikes at Vladivostok instead of Pearl Harbor. Without nucleaer weapons, the United States is restricted to "Fortress America" (including Canada and Mexico) while the Axis prepare to strike at North America.

Reich-4: Germany captures the Russian city of Leningrad in 1941. Both Germany and Japan develop nuclear weapons in 1945 and conquer the USA in the 1950s. In 1979, Japan and Germany fight a thermonuclear war in which Germany wins. However, they have a hard time conquering what's left of the destroyed world.
__________________
...which proclaimed most proudly that old soldiers never die; they just fade away ~Douglas MacArthur
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old September 5th, 2005, 07:01 PM
luakel luakel is offline
All You Need Is Cash
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Queen City of the West
Posts: 1000 or more
Send a message via AIM to luakel
Quote:
Originally Posted by FederationX
Reich-1: BEF destroyed at Dunkirk. Germany and U.S. defeat Japan together and as of 1951 are fighting World War 3. Both sides have active atomic research programs.

Reich-2: Germany makes seperate peace Great Britain (Lord Halifax is prime minister). Germany gets bogged down in Russia and an armistace is signed in 1943. The United States, Germany, Great Britian, Japan and the Soviet Union are all rival world powers racing to put missiles on the moon.

Reich-3: Japan strikes at Vladivostok instead of Pearl Harbor. Without nucleaer weapons, the United States is restricted to "Fortress America" (including Canada and Mexico) while the Axis prepare to strike at North America.

Reich-4: Germany captures the Russian city of Leningrad in 1941. Both Germany and Japan develop nuclear weapons in 1945 and conquer the USA in the 1950s. In 1979, Japan and Germany fight a thermonuclear war in which Germany wins. However, they have a hard time conquering what's left of the destroyed world.
Thanks!
__________________
Bessie Braddock: Sir, you are drunk.
Winston Churchill: And you, madam, are ugly. But in the morning, I shall be sober.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old September 13th, 2005, 04:12 AM
Othniel Othniel is offline
Comrade General-Secretary
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Valley of the Salt Lake
Posts: 1000 or more
We should probably list the Lenin, Dixi, and Brittanicia versions as well...
__________________
Gone but not forgotten.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old September 20th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Adam Adam is offline
Tengen Toppa Union Jack!
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Super Spiral Space
Posts: 1000 or more
Speaking of Infinite Worlds, I do wonder what kind of worlds are there on Quantum 1 and 2? After all, Quantum 3 is full of weird parallels such as Merlin-3 and Nostradamus.

So could it be that both Quantum 1 and 2 contain parallels where humanity has developed FTL technology, where meeting alien species is not uncommon and whereby some technologies have reached to the point of beyond Culture-verse.
__________________
Quote:
In the midst of a galactic pissing match, you are tasked with killing good daddies.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old September 20th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Straha Straha is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Cthaco Bell
Posts: 1000 or more
Send a message via AIM to Straha Send a message via MSN to Straha
Why not put some dystopci but normal TLs on there. Like one with no WWII so eugenics theories continue getting more respectable so we've got nazism indirectly evolving in all of the major states?
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old August 30th, 2006, 05:22 AM
WhatIsAUserName WhatIsAUserName is offline
Professional Catatonic
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Joaquin County, CA
Posts: 1000 or more
Would anyone be so kind as to make a list with all of these alternate worlds in one?
__________________
Conquest: A story filling in the gaps of a Code Geass world. [In Progress]

Sweet Dew: The Tang Dynasty lasts longer. [On Hiatus]
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old August 30th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Akiyama Akiyama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 613
The GURPS article in the wiki describes some of them.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old August 30th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Akiyama Akiyama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Speaking of Infinite Worlds, I do wonder what kind of worlds are there on Quantum 1 and 2? After all, Quantum 3 is full of weird parallels such as Merlin-3 and Nostradamus.

So could it be that both Quantum 1 and 2 contain parallels where humanity has developed FTL technology, where meeting alien species is not uncommon and whereby some technologies have reached to the point of beyond Culture-verse.
But FTL is possible under the "normal" rules of GURPS physics (the timeline Caliph on Quantum 6 has both FTL and aliens).

My theory is that Quantum 2 has lots of worlds that are parallels of Earth but where things like magic, psionics, super-powers or religious miracles work, Quantum 0 has lots of fantasy worlds with flying islands, fire-breathing dragons, schools of magic etc., and Quantum -2 has worlds which are truly bizarre, like worlds where everying is two dimensional, or worlds where everything is made out of plasticene. Maybe travel between worlds at the lower end of the Quantum scale is only possible by unusual means, and normal parachonic projectors don't work.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old August 30th, 2006, 02:26 PM
benjamin benjamin is offline
In an ALT...I'm Spartacus!
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pennsylvania, New York, Indiana, Wisconsin, Bayern
Posts: 841
alternate earth books

Infinate Worlds was good but I found the background info for the various alternate worlds way too short. The earlier 3rd edition books Alternate Earths and Alternate Earths 2 have fewer worlds but the ones they have are much better developed. Most of them are worlds also mentioned in Infinate Worlds but a full 20 pages is devoted to each one.

Alternate Earths
Dixie - CSA wins CW and is locked in Cold War with US in mid-1980s
Reich-5 - Axis win WWII an lord over the world in the 1990s
Roma Aeterna - Roman Empire survives and is major power in the 1870s
Shikaku-Mon - Japan is christianized and along with Sweden, Brazil, and France is a world power in 2015.
Gernsback - Tesla marries JP Morgans daughter and gets a lot of money and mental stability (wierd science!)

Alternate Earths 2
Cornwallis - Brits win ARW and the world in the 1980s is not so nice
Ming-3 - Jeng Ho continues his voyages and China dominates what would have been the Victorian age
Midgard - Vikings Rule!! nuff'said
Caliph - Islam dominated world with ultra-high tech stuff
Centrum - the original bad guys from this GURPS game

Each book also has many small blurbs and POD suggestions. I highly recommend them.

Also Steven Jackson Games' in house online magazine, Pyramid, has a monthly feature of an alternate world discribed in 5-10 pages. Subsricptions are 20.00 US dollars a year and it is a weekly rpg e-zine. (And no I don't work for them in any way, I just like their games.)

Benjamin
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old August 30th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Kabraloth Kabraloth is offline
Cubito ergo sum.
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sankta Romia imperio de Germana Nacieco
Posts: 1000 or more
By the way, since I have little way of getting Alternate Earths 2 or Infinite World, was it ever made clear why Centrum "steals" timelines?
PM me if it is a big spoiler.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuture_Radical Le Conquerant
vloia nu ivnsaion ed agnlnterer vuos dmnaé têets dse ccoaïne! ej rélcame knet te lodnres!
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old August 30th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Max Sinister Max Sinister is offline
Retired Myriad Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Chaos TL
Posts: 1000 or more
@benjamin: You forgot two worlds, one of each book:

Ezcalli, where the Carthaginians discover America, the world powers are the Aztecs, the Iroquois, a Romanized Songhay and the surviving Mongol khaghanate. IMO one of the coolest TLs ever, even if not the most realistic.

Aeolus, where England becomes Catholic again, the Protestants have to flee to America or South Africa, and France governs half the world - until their empire breaks apart, and the republican movement raises its head.
__________________
Finished: Chaos TL - Genghis Khan dies in 1200
Timeline, Scenario, Stories!
Hitler's Med Strategy
Jaredia: A tilted Earth (NOW: 4000 BCE)
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old August 30th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Adam Adam is offline
Tengen Toppa Union Jack!
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Super Spiral Space
Posts: 1000 or more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabraloth View Post
By the way, since I have little way of getting Alternate Earths 2 or Infinite World, was it ever made clear why Centrum "steals" timelines?
PM me if it is a big spoiler.
It's not a big spoiler, really. Centrum distrusts Infinity Inc. Thinks that their world is anarchic and not as unified as theirs, with a Last War ready to go off anytime soon. They want to bring order and stability to those worlds, the Centrum-way though.
__________________
Quote:
In the midst of a galactic pissing match, you are tasked with killing good daddies.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old August 30th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Keenir Keenir is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1000 or more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
Our very own Tom Mazanec, who co-authored the Mithras Triumphant world, and
and I ran a search, and couldn't find it on this group.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old August 31st, 2006, 12:07 AM
Diamond Diamond is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1000 or more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenir View Post
and I ran a search, and couldn't find it on this group.
Eh?
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old August 31st, 2006, 12:54 AM
Keenir Keenir is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1000 or more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
Eh?
I couldn't find the "Mithras Triumphant" thread in AH.com
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old August 31st, 2006, 01:16 AM
benjamin benjamin is offline
In an ALT...I'm Spartacus!
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pennsylvania, New York, Indiana, Wisconsin, Bayern
Posts: 841
Thanks Max, I did forget thos two.

As for getting a hold on those two books, they are both for sale on ebay.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old August 31st, 2006, 02:42 AM
Diamond Diamond is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1000 or more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenir View Post
I couldn't find the "Mithras Triumphant" thread in AH.com
It's probably titled something else, but that's the gist of the TL.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old August 31st, 2006, 06:51 AM
Kabraloth Kabraloth is offline
Cubito ergo sum.
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sankta Romia imperio de Germana Nacieco
Posts: 1000 or more
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Denton View Post
It's not a big spoiler, really. Centrum distrusts Infinity Inc. Thinks that their world is anarchic and not as unified as theirs, with a Last War ready to go off anytime soon. They want to bring order and stability to those worlds, the Centrum-way though.
Now that is a massive disappointment. I was hoping for something more unusual.
Thank you for clearing it up, though.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuture_Radical Le Conquerant
vloia nu ivnsaion ed agnlnterer vuos dmnaé têets dse ccoaïne! ej rélcame knet te lodnres!
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old August 31st, 2006, 08:26 AM
Tony Jones Tony Jones is offline
Dr Insidious
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabraloth View Post
Now that is a massive disappointment. I was hoping for something more unusual.
Thank you for clearing it up, though.
There's more to it than that as I recall; Centrum thinks that if they steal enough earths they can get our earth to jump down the quantum levels to somewhere where it and Centrum are mutually inacessible. I think...
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrP View Post
Perhaps your uncle works inside God, peeling communion wafers!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.