William Adelin the only legitimate son of Henry I of England not drowned in 1120

In OTL he was drowned in the White Ship disaster in the English Channel on November 25, 1120. If he survives to become King of England as William III on the death of his father in 1135, the civil war between Stephen and Matilda would not have happened.

William was born in 1103. He was married in June 1119 to Matilda of Anjou, they had no children and after her husband's death she entered a convent. If William becomes king in 1135 and they have children, his eldest legitimate son would most likely succeed him as king when he dies. Assuming William lives till his late 50s, his death would take place around 1160.

If he has no surviving legitimate children would his sister Matilda ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matilda_of_England ), who does not die until September 1167, claim the throne? In OTL Henry I because William had died and he had no legitimate male heir made his barons swear that they would accept Matilda as ruler after his death. But with William surviving that would not have happened. So if William III has no surviving male heir the barons would not accept Matilda as ruler, and her son Henry would become king as Henry II. Probably also if William has a surviving daughter.

However if William has a surviving male heir (let's call him Richard) who becomes king in say 1160 as Richard I, and his accepted by the barons, there would be differences in the course of history from OTL.

He would not have inherited the Angevin Empire in France, though presumably he would be duke of Normandy. Thomas a Becket might not have become Lord Chancellor or Archbishop of Canterbury. Therefore he would not have been murdered in Canterbury cathedral and his shrine would not have been built. Therefore there would be no pilgrimages to Canterbury and Geoffrey Chaucer would not have written the Canterbury Tales.

Richard would probably have invaded Ireland during his reign. If he was born in the 1120s he would probably have died before the start of the Third Crusade in 1189. If he was still alive he would be too old to go on crusade.

If Richard dies without a legitimate male heir, say around 1190, presumably the claimants to the English throne would be Henry Plantagenet (Henry II in OTL) if he is still alive, otherwise Henry's eldest surviving son, Richard. Alternatively Richard is succeeded by a male heir who is accepted by the barons. Let's call him Henry - Henry II.

The line of William III, Richard I, Henry II etc would make a good subject for an ATL.