No GUIs

What if the graphical user interface (of the WIMP- "Windows, Icons, Menus, Pointers"- type at least) had either never been invented in its present form, or never been taken up by Apple for the Lisa and Macintosh machines? What if command-line interfaces, or some alternative involving the keyboard (or simple mouse driven interface for certain programs at the most) were all there was? How would computing develop, assuming tht modern hardware of similar standard develops? Would DOS still be viable, and would UNIX and UNIX-like systems be preferred for netwrking over it? Would mice even take off?

What if the graphical user interface (of the WIMP- "Windows, Icons, Menus, Pointers"- type at least) had either never been invented in its present form, or never been taken up by Apple for the Lisa and Macintosh machines? What if command-line interfaces, or some alternative involving the keyboard (or simple mouse driven interface for certain programs at the most) were all there was? How would computing develop, assuming tht modern hardware of similar standard develops? Would DOS still be viable, and would UNIX and UNIX-like systems be preferred for netwrking over it? Would mice even take off?

GUI is a very powerful advance in the use of computing, and it was originally Xerox who developed this technology, who then sold it to Apple. Given that computers breaking out into mainstream requires greater ease of use, I see either a butterflied GUI emerging from a different and more modern origin, or computing as we know it butterflied away.

Could we see a phone menu style of interface based on voice recognition (Audio transmissions?) Could biometrics and the whole mental user interface take its first steps in development, perhaps on something like a Wii like model?

Humanity isn't going to put up with DOS if better options are available. And, frankly, even if the GUI is shut down different avenues of exploration will begin. I guess the lead rivals at this time would be virtual reality--based on movement, and perhaps something along the likes of video games using controllers. It's hard to imagine the Atari 2600 leading to modern word processing, but its equally hard to imagine GUIs never appearing.

A PoD that impedes the development and/or market success of the personal computer?

Maybe an alternate game console development arc could play a role?

GUI is a very powerful advance in the use of computing, and it was originally Xerox who developed this technology, who then sold it to Apple.

Actually Xerox PARC had both Apple and Microsoft (and probably others) steal it from them wholesale.

It's one of the great computing "what ifs"—what if Xerox PARC had an ounce of sense?

GUI is a very powerful advance in the use of computing, and it was originally Xerox who developed this technology, who then sold it to Apple. Given that computers breaking out into mainstream requires greater ease of use, I see either a butterflied GUI emerging from a different and more modern origin, or computing as we know it butterflied away.

Could we see a phone menu style of interface based on voice recognition (Audio transmissions?) Could biometrics and the whole mental user interface take its first steps in development, perhaps on something like a Wii like model?

Humanity isn't going to put up with DOS if better options are available. And, frankly, even if the GUI is shut down different avenues of exploration will begin. I guess the lead rivals at this time would be virtual reality--based on movement, and perhaps something along the likes of video games using controllers. It's hard to imagine the Atari 2600 leading to modern word processing, but its equally hard to imagine GUIs never appearing.

I certainly agree that it is going to be difficult to keep up a command-line interface indefinitely. You did sort of allude to phone menu-driven interfaces, and this is something I was thinking of- consider that console games tend to use a menu-type interface as well. Another possibility is conidering the old style DOS shells and programs- you still might have drop-down menus, and/or functions acessed via keystrokes. Whether this is going to be any easier- remains debatable- even if the shell and other utilities which do not require the command lines are seamlessly built into the system. Remembering all the keystrokes is no different from remembering all the commands, plus there is the usual "finger gymnastics" required when holding down several keys and pressing another.

As for controllers, I suppose you could as a keyboard alternative, develop some more generalised us out of a joystick or gamepad. Another alternative might be a touch-screen type interface, and additionally for graphics, a graphics tablet or light pen. I doubt virtual reality will necessarily work- especially for an office environment, plus people are very much going to be tied into the sit-behind-a-screen model of computing. Voice recognition is a possibility, either for commands or menus, but is not without its drawbacks (training the system to recognise your voice or programming it to underestand any voice, and get it right all the time).

Another possibility is to make the command line more user-friendly by means of more intuitive commands. This obviously was limited by the amount of memory (and possibly processing power) in early systems, especially external commands running utilities restricted in name to the 8.3 format. Plus the way in which single-letter parameters and switches, and the use of wildcards "*" and "?" in file names makes it all look like some sort of bizarre code!

So for example if we want to copy all Word documents from our documents directory to the floppy drive. Instead of, say,

xcopy C:\Documents\*.doc A:\

we might have

copy all doc files in C:\Documents to floppy

or similar.

We also need to make them "idiot proof" so that exact syntax without variations is not necessary, and that the system prompts you if you make a mistake or ned to include something else. For example, consider this:

>copy all doc files

Where?
>To floppy

Which drive?
>A

Where on A drive?
>Root directory

Or say we want help:

>Help

What do you want help with?
>how to copy doc files to floppy dirve

(Help utility provides answer)

You could then adapt this more easily to voice recognition, too.

Actually Xerox PARC had both Apple and Microsoft (and probably others) steal it from them wholesale.

It's one of the great computing "what ifs"—what if Xerox PARC had an ounce of sense?

Do they hold the patent for the technology so close that they prevent any other corporation mimicking the software, or just earn huge licence fees off every other company like Panasonic did with VCRs (I think)?

From what I understand of the situation Apple could be said to have stolen the idea for the GUI from Xerox, but that's it, the built their own GUI from scratch, which in turn was stolen by Microsoft when Apple
let them get a good look at their source code.

gridlocked

Banned
From what I understand of the situation Apple could be said to have stolen the idea for the GUI from Xerox, but that's it, the built their own GUI from scratch, which in turn was stolen by Microsoft when Apple
let them get a good look at their source code.

Yes, Xerox gave a lot of tours they should not have. Also as PARC hit corporate politics (Xerox supported a rival terrible word processing system instead) and lack of high level support, so there was considerable turn-over over of talented staff over the years. It was a matter of time before PARC veterans would try to create the vision somewhere else.

I wouldn't have gotten into computers. In the bad old days of DOS, computers used to put me off since the interface felt so obtuse and unintuitive.

AFAIK at this time the cost (speaking in computer power) was still too high for the possible use (typical office software).

@the_lyniezian: Liked your suggestion for a more user-friendly DOS.

One point. Yes general purpose PCs are never going to penetrate far in the consumer market without GUI, but in the corporate world, GUI for specific tasks is not vital at all.

I used to work for British Airways, and they spent a lot of time evaluating GUI alternatives for their check in system. None of them were as productive for experienced users, because, once the operator got proficient, it's actually miles quicker to type in a long series of symbols than to click through a load of menus and drop down boxes.

I'd suggest for consumers you'd end up with something like Minitel. Not that pretty, but it got the job done for the French for a long time. It might evolve into something a bit like the Sony XrossMediaBar interface e.g. menus but no windows, mouse or cursor.

Its going to happen.
I was working in aerospace at the time, and semi-gui interfaces were common (a combination of graphics, trackerball and keyboard).
We were also looking at full gui interfaces for aircraft, where the ballast has problems with a keyboard...:)
(I will leave out the issues of the army, who were worried by 3 buttons on a box - they wanted a max of 2, 3 was seen as too complicated...:) :)

While its true that for a highly trained operator a combination of keyboard and graphics is faster, there are issues. The degree of training required (meaning you cant easily sub someone), and the likelihood of somthing going titsup under pressure. There is also the issue of the amount of data presented - the more you have, the more issues you have with inputting long and complex command strings becomes.

In OTL, the military worked off the back of civilian gui methodology to a considerable extent (at least for (relatively) low cost options) - without it, its just likely to go the other way around. And once it does, consumer pressure will make it the common standard.

Astrodragon's right. GUI's going to develop, no matter what. It's too useful. My idea of its development was leapfrogging off the (non-OS) software industry. Some software had proto-GUIs years before the Xerox Star was released. You'd see it become more and more widespread in software. Finally, some hacker would make a GUI overlay of a command line OS (think original Windows... the actual OS is command line based, but there's a GUI front end applied after the fact). It will become wildly popular, and companies will then scramble hand over foot to duplicate it.

I'm sure the military thinking up GUIs first would be possible, too, but I know little about the military's approach to IT at the time.

What you can get is a long delay before GUIs come out. Continue the "computers are for businesses" trend, with executives not realizing the potential for mainstream use besides simple apps. I like Shimbo's idea of using the Minitel. A system like that could satisfy the average person's computing needs for quite some time, especially if GUIs are deemed to expensive... Minitel is a centralized computing system that services local terminals. If it started trying to dynamically create images (like a GUI screen), the bandwidth would skyrocket, drastically raising costs. The GUI would be held back in the name of economy. :)

Not all GUIs are WIMPS systems. I remember some standalone non-PC systems for CAD/CAM from HP and Tektronix in the early 1980s. These were based on electronic pen/touch sensitive pad systems. Used for architectural, mechanical blueprints and electrical layouts.

PCs worked quite well with DOS up to 1989 or so. Word processors and spreadsheets pre-date Windows systems. All the old ones used tab/arrow or function keys to scroll.
It should also be possible to make web pages work without a GUI. Just a tab/enter system could work OK.

The big problem is with something like Photoshop.

...and not all users learn to use a filesystem, especially when it gets beyond a certain size.

R

Instead of a GUI, maybe we would have a much more involved set of peripherals. For example, tons of non-keyboard buttons and many different flashing lights, pretty much like the computers of old movies. More application specific hardware/computers might exist.

Perhaps in a world where computing power didn't evolve as fast as it has here, we wouldn't see advances such as the GUI. Maybe a few million micro vacuum tubes filling up a room would be able to run a command line OS.

PCs worked quite well with DOS up to 1989 or so. Word processors and spreadsheets pre-date Windows systems. All the old ones used tab/arrow or function keys to scroll.
It should also be possible to make web pages work without a GUI. Just a tab/enter system could work OK.

Hell, you could use a mouse. They predated Xerox and were originally used in conjunction with word processors. Look up Engelbert's Mother of all Demos.

Instead of a GUI, maybe we would have a much more involved set of peripherals. For example, tons of non-keyboard buttons and many different flashing lights, pretty much like the computers of old movies. More application specific hardware/computers might exist.

Perhaps in a world where computing power didn't evolve as fast as it has here, we wouldn't see advances such as the GUI. Maybe a few million micro vacuum tubes filling up a room would be able to run a command line OS.

Doesn't work. That was one of the reasons the military were moving away from it - it causes information overload, even in a highly trained operator.

While its a bit different now, in the 80's the cutting edge was actually in the military (particularly in aircraft) with regard to design, integration and useability.
They only started to lag when the speed of improvement meant they couldnt get the required hardware to milspec standards fast enough.