Help with Hearts of Iron 2

Hey, I finally got around to picking HoI2, and I'm really loving it; its a great game. I'm having trouble, though, with the alliance system as a regional/minor power. If, say, I'm playing as Argentina, I find it impossible to ally with Nationalist Spain, even I've maxed "our relations to them" at +200 with influence, and we're fairly similar countries. So why do they keep on rejecting my damn alliances! Has anyone ever successfully allied with another minor AI power outside of the three faction block?

Thanks in advance.

you can press F12 to display de console window then type neville and the AI accepts all of your demands

You can get the AI to ally with you if they need you i.e wars. So if Nationalist Spain gets involved in a conflict involving some South American Nations and can use an ally like Argentina to lay the smack down on say Peru, they'll join your alliance.

Hey, I finally got around to picking HoI2, and I'm really loving it; its a great game. I'm having trouble, though, with the alliance system as a regional/minor power. If, say, I'm playing as Argentina, I find it impossible to ally with Nationalist Spain, even I've maxed "our relations to them" at +200 with influence, and we're fairly similar countries. So why do they keep on rejecting my damn alliances! Has anyone ever successfully allied with another minor AI power outside of the three faction block?

Thanks in advance.

Log in a Nationalist Spain. Declare war on some South American country. Log back in as Argentina, declare war on the same country. Then try to ally. I got Leninist Soviet Union to ally with Fascist Japan using that method.

Thanks in advance.

Have you offered a Non-Aggression Pact yet? ;)
As Stalin's Pipe Organs said, you can only ally different nations if :
a) You are at war with the same country
b) Event
c) Cheats
d) Hardwired into the code (eg. Australia with Great Britain)
e) 'Coup Nation' option (not available in the vanilla HoI2)
f) exception : With Germany, you can ally with Romania, Hungary and most of the Central European countries just by improving their relations and having a non-aggresion pact.

Now i need help. :(

Im playing as germany 1944 reletivly realistic. Im doing ok so far but i have no idea how to win. But thats not the point. few questions:

1. Do people prefer large army stacks or small army groups?
2. Is having tank armies and infantry armies to take advantage of the speed better than having a mixed army?
3. What are some good non panzer leaders? General or mashall rank please.
4. Whats the best ministers types?
5. Who would be HoS and HoG if hitler, goring and most extremist nazi leaders got removed. (Besides speer and donitz). But germany did not plan on surrendering and was still a national socalist govenment.

Thanks in advance.

edit: question 6: How does this sound for an economic plan? Focus on upgrading and renforcing but only produce light tank brigades, armored cars and tank destroyers?

Last edited:

Im playing as germany 1944 reletivly realistic. Im doing ok so far but i have no idea how to win. But thats not the point. few questions:

2. Is having tank armies and infantry armies to take advantage of the speed better than having a mixed army?
5. Who would be HoS and HoG if hitler, goring and most extremist nazi leaders got removed. (Besides speer and donitz). But germany did not plan on surrendering and was still a national socalist govenment.

Thanks in advance.

edit: question 6: How does this sound for an economic plan? Focus on upgrading and renforcing but only produce light tank brigades, armored cars and tank destroyers?

1. I generally use units in 3, 6, 9 or 12 stacks. 3 and 6 stacks tend only to be for stuff like Marines though. For your standard army stacks I always go for 9 divisions.

2. Here I usually go for 3 Arm and 6 Mec/Mot per stack.

6. Brigades don't make good economic sense unless you are nearly out of man power. When I've played the '44 set up as Germany the best thing to do is just focus on reinforcing and upgrading, I don't think you have the man power to spare to make new stuff. You also definatly don't want to be making anything that uses oil, you're already going to be wicked short on that.

Thanks in advance.

1. It's just a matter of preference. I tend to swing both ways. Large stacks are easier to manage but small stacks are more efficent and multiple leaders get experiance. Not to mention you don't take organization hits if you have to divide your army for whatever reason. Also depends on what country you're playing, some of them just don't have a lot of leaders so you're pretty much forced with big stacks.

2. I usually keep my tank armies seperate, but again that's just a matter of preference.

3. Heh, there are hundreds of leaders in the game, you'll just have to look at their stats. Usually you want someone with a higher skill rating and some tags like Offensive Doctorine, Superior Tactician, ect.

4. Usually I tend to use the ones that raise your IC percentage or lower your consumer goods %. That enables you to build more military units quickly.

5. Never actually played Germany enough to trigger the Hitler dying event and the AI never puts Hitler in a slot where you can assassinate him. I think I remember seeing Goring as a Head of State and Government on the editor.

6. If you're in the 1944 scenario as Germany you're at war, so I'd focus on building plane jane infantry divisions as you're probablly getting hit hard on both fronts and need as many divisions asap. If you're playing doomsday or armageddon you can build the brigades along with the infantry with no time penalty. Alternatively you can build militia units even quicker.. of course Hitler tried that irl with the Volksturm... we all know how that worked out.

Regarding question 2, I generally just toss units together that have (roughly) the same speed, so it isn't uncommon for me to field, say, two medium tanks, a later HQ with high speed, three mechanized units, and a few motorized or cavalry units tossed in from an older army.

I like cavalry even though they're generally weak as hell after 1939 or so. They're like really speedy infantry early on in the game, and, flavor-wise, it just wouldn't be a proper invasion of Mexico if it wasn't led by US Cavalry.

Some random things that have happened so far that would make AH.comers cry asb. (All this in 1944)
1. Portugal joined the axis... in 1944 :eek:
2. A desperate German counter attack with not enough oil and badly planned (think the battle of the bulge) actually worked and is about to knock the allies off of Europe.:D
3. Germany has naval parity with the UK, France and USA.:confused:
4. The strategic bombing campaign actually doesnt affect germany that much.
5. A properly motivated paratrooper division can actually hold a beach agianst 4 infantry divisions.:(

Now questions:
Why do the french attack that one italian province every day?
And does elastic defense actually work like the god send people make it out to be?
And is there a difference in calvary that uses oil and 37' calvary?

More questions from me I'm afraid. I'm playing as Canada, and have had troops sitting by Ethiopia and Algeria's borders to try and seize Italian colonies immediately following the Italy's declaration of war. But once I've successfully taken the province over, the territories go to France and Britain! Why is that? Do they just automatically eat up Canadian gains if Canada is in the Allies?..

Grr....

More questions from me I'm afraid. I'm playing as Canada, and have had troops sitting by Ethiopia and Algeria's borders to try and seize Italian colonies immediately following the Italy's declaration of war. But once I've successfully taken the province over, the territories go to France and Britain! Why is that? Do they just automatically eat up Canadian gains if Canada is in the Allies?..

Grr....

Yes, territories that belong to your Allies get returned to your Allies. Check the 'Original Owner' flag - if its your enemy's (or a neutral power province that gets invaded) its yours to keep. Owners Keepers.

Now questions:
Why do the french attack that one italian province every day?
And does elastic defense actually work like the god send people make it out to be?
And is there a difference in calvary that uses oil and 37' calvary?

The strategic bombing campaigns don't do much in HoI2 (vanilla) - but neither do flaks, at best (fully manned, full technology) they can take off 25-30% off your strength and whittle at your organization (by the time the organization thing gets full you should have about 80% strength). The unupgraded flaks do nothing but take off 1-5 strength.
But don't get me wrong. 12 squadrons of CAG (or 8 TAC) can destroy about 2-3 divisions in ONE DAY.

Elastic defence is, IMO in HoI2 only a Land Doctrine upgrade. It ups your chances (IIRC) on Counterattacks and Tactical Withdrawal.

Semi-Mechanized Cavalry do higher damage and are faster.

Grr....

Yeah, this happens a lot in HoI2. You're invading from British East Africa or British Sudan yes? So they're the ones getting the territory. For you(Canada) to get the territory you'll need to do an amphibious assault or airborne assault then attack from that territory to get Canadian Ethiopia.

If you're looking for a moderate Canada-wank I'd try liberating Norway. If you go after Ethiopia, the British AI's still gonna end up grabbing most of it. In any case once Italy's surrender event kicks in, it's liberated as a British puppet anyways.

If you take Norway from Germany, the British AI almost never messes with it, and Germany usually doesn't garrison it too heavily, especially if the Eastern Front's kicked in.