Professor Zyzzyva's Canadian History 101

Well, we've gone through annoying thread after annoying thread of "WI Toronto joined the American Revolution?" and I've decided it's time for some edumacating. Fortunately for me, I'm taking HIST257 this term and therefore have a lovely stock of notes - getting longer every Monday and Wednesday, between 1:30 and 2:20 - from which to do it. Unfortunately, the course is Canadian History Since 1867, so it won't actually do anything about the time-travelling republican Torontonian problem, but it should help with some of the more general misconceptions about Canada and its history. Such as the one that Canadian history is boring; it really isn't. Funny, a bit tragic at times, but boring, no.

Besides, I want to explain something, and I don't think anyone here would be willing to sit through my explanation of the topology of R^n. ;)

So, without further ado, Canadian history since 1867! (At least up until lecture 4, at any rate.) Enjoy!

Last edited:
So what you're saying is the average American is unaware of the difference between the Quebec Act, the Constitutional Act, the Act of Union, The B.N.A. Act, the Canada Act, and the Constitution Act?

Shocking I say, shocking.*

*I'm a law student at a Canadian University and I still needed wikipedia to put the list together (yes I passed 1L constitutional).

So what you're saying is the average American is unaware of the difference between the Quebec Act, the Constitutional Act, the Act of Union, The B.N.A. Act, the Canada Act, and the Constitution Act?

Shocking I say, shocking.*

*I'm a law student at a Canadian University and I still needed wikipedia to put the list together (yes I passed 1L constitutional).

Well I think it's due largely to the fact that History below the University level in the States is Amerocentric. The countries you learn about in any depth are either major allies or enemies during a war. Therefore to many Americans Canada is a few halfhearted raids during the Revolution and War of 1812, a few guys who helped out on D-Day and a cheap source of meds and toilets that work.

I
A Survey of British North America

On July 1, 1867 the British Parliament signed the British North America Act (BNA Act), creating a new pseudo-semi-demi-hemi-country, the Dominion of Canada, out of three British colonies, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Canada. The BNA Act didn't actually do a lot for Canadian independence, in the sense that say the Declaration of Independence or the Treaty of Paris (1783) did for the United States; about all it really did was get the ball rolling on the incredibly awkward, heterogeneous mass that is Canada. (The difference between the bloody, sharp, "Give Me Liberty Or Give Me Death!" history of the US and the gradual slide towards nationhood of Canada is something we will be coming back to repeatedly.) In retrospect the BNA Act was enough to get things started, and so forms a logical place to delineate this "course".

Before we get into the BNA Act, and Confederation, in more detail, we should take a quick look at what exactly British North America constituted in 1867. It was, both in retrospect and as seen at the time, a very diverse collection of colonies; the name "British North America" pretty much sums up everything they held in common.

Canada_provinces_1867-1870.png

(Canada in 1867)

On the Atlantic Coast there are "the Maritimes": the colonies of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland. These have a great deal in common with each other, although there are some differences too. All rely heavily on fishing and maritime trade with New England and Europe. Newfoundland is by far the least settled, with tiny rocky "outports" clinging to the god-awful coastline; its population is in the tens of thousands and its economy is based almost solely off cod and other fishing. Nova Scotia is the largest and most prosperous; Halifax is a major port, the centre of the Maritimes, and has a large shipbuilding industry to compliment its fishing and trading. There is a little farming in the interior. New Brunswick is like Nova Scotia but smaller and poorer; it has no port to match Halifax, and instead of farming has a big lumbering industry in the interior. Prince Edward Island is flat and earthy rather than pointy and rocky, so it has by far the best farming, and is the breadbasket (as opposed to fishbasket) of the Maritimes; however, due to some complicated pseudofuedal arrangement back when the colony was set up practically no one on the island owns their own land. It's all the property of absentee landlords back in England; more on this later.

Further west is the Province of Canada. The map is post-Confederation and shows the two provinces of Ontario and Quebec here, but before July 1st there was only the one, Canada. This was the result of some complicated political arrangements ending in the 1841 Act of Union, following a pair of mismatched but equally idiotic rebellions in 1837; the upshot is Quebec and Ontario are under one government in Kingston (then Montreal, then Quebec City, then Toronto, then Quebec again, then Toronto, then Ottawa). The endless moves-of capital give you some idea of the political stability of the place. The point of the union was to attach the unruly French of Lower Canada (Quebec) to the steady English of Upper Canada (Ontario); but the fact that the two halves had an equal number of seats led to absolute deadlock. By the late 1850s the colonial parliament was totally incapable of doing anything. In its 26 years of life the Province had 19 governments; John A Macdonald was co-premiering his fifth as 1867 began. (Co-premier because, of course, you needed a French and an English leader.) Part of the appeal of Confederation, ironically enough, was that it offered an opportunity to separate the two halves again, and enable the two new governments to get things done.

Lower Canada (Quebec) had a little over a million people in it, a third of the total BNA population, and almost all of them were French-speaking. Life in Quebec (especially rural Quebec) was much as it had been a century earlier: rural farmers, poor, mostly illiterate, and church dominated. Quebec had been permitted to keep, and had kept, its church (Catholic), its law code (civil, not common), and its culture (just generally different). The cities, especially Montreal, were a bit different; here, there was a small but thriving merchant class containing a high proportion of Anglophones. Still, Quebec was the odd man out in an assortment of odd-man colonies, which only made its attachment to Upper Canada the more awkward.

Upper Canada was the heart of Confederation and the most "typical" BNA colony, for a sufficiently strained definition of the word typical. It had about the same population as Quebec (~1m), largely British, of about equal proportions Irish (both types), Scottish, English, and "native born" Canadians (which in this context means >2nd generation immigrants, in turn mostly United Empire Loyalists who had come to Canada following the American Revolution). There was also a smattering of French Canadians, who had typically been there longer than even the UELs, Blacks (mostly also UELs or escaped slaves) and Germans. They pretty much all were farmers or lumberers, with 80%+ of the population being rural. The towns, however, were growing fast, especially Toronto, as Upper Canada entered early industrialization. The entire St-Lawrence/Great Lakes Valley is settled as fully as possible at this point; the frontier is now the essentially unfarmable rock desert of the Canadian Shield, meaning available farmland has run out, meaning people are both pushing for expansion onto the limitless prairies of the west and in the meantime moving the surplus population to the cities. (And there was a lot of surplus population; despite a 20% infant mortality rate, a 6 child/woman fertility rate fills up the farm fast.) Ontario's manufacturing sector is still pretty small, however, which means the largest sign of its nascent industrialization are the railways. And damn, did Canada have railways.

In the 1800s, railways were The Way To Go; miles of track were practically the national ranking mechanism. Canada - and, indeed, BNA in general - went in for railways big. They built railways everywhere, with company after company blowing its money on track and almost invariably going bankrupt soon after. The entire Colony of PEI was teetering on bankruptcy by the late 1860s just from the railway debt it ended up buying. Even the big, relatively successful railways (the largest of these being the Canadian Grand Trunk) tended to be notable only because they were perpetually hovering on the other side of complete insolvency. These companies (especially GT) and their investors (mostly British) were some of the most fervent pushers for union; the hope was a larger, unified BNA government would be better able to assist them than, say, the perpetually deadlocked government of Canada, or the tiny government of PEI.

West of Canada lies the boundless northwest, at this point divided between Rupert's Land, a corporate fiefdom of the fur-trading Hudson's Bay Company, and the Northwest Territories, the part so desolate and remote even the HBC didn't want it. At this time both were almost completely unsettled by Europeans, the only exception being the tiny, 12,000-person settlement of Red River (basically on top of present-day Winnipeg), and even that was 3/4 Métis (eg, the descendants of the French fur traders and the natives, and by this point constituting a distinct, and largely non-European, group of their own; there will also be much more on them later). The rest was populated only by the occasional fur-trade fort and the natives, nearly 100,000 of them. Their position, however, is steadily being undermined; the fur-trade is shrinking and in 1863 the HBC underwent a massive financial restructuring. Implicit to its new shareholders is the knowledge that the fur-trade is almost over, and the HBC is going to move into new roles, ones which (not coincidentally) didn't involve it running a fifth of the continent.

Finally, on the very western edge of BNA, was the colony of British Columbia. This was separated from the rest of the BNA colonies by 2000 miles of uncharted mountain, grassland, and Canadian Shield; it looks south and west, not east, to home. BC is an odd mixture of Wild West interior (the Caribou gold rush starting as late as 1858) and neat British coast (with Victoria being, essentially, one of the more genteel suburbs of London shipped half-way around the globe). The largest minority in BC was the Chinese, practically unheard-of further east, who had mostly come over in the gold rushes and stayed, in a perpetual sort of third-class citizen position. The northern two-thirds of the colony, meanwhile, were inhabited pretty much solely by natives.

So these five colonies, one notably more schizophrenic than the others, and two territories, made up British North America as 1867 began. At the moment, they make seem to have more differences than commonalities; this may even be true. Nevertheless, they (or at least some of them) came together in the BNA Act to form a new country of sorts, Canada. Why? That will be the subject of the next post.

Last edited:
In 7th Grade we spent 1/2 the year studying the USSR. I don't recall ever spending time in grade school studying Canada in depth. Thanks neighbor!

What else can I say but that this is fascinating? :D

I shall be nit-picking on some very trivial things about various Canadian places soon. ;)

Thande

Donor
Good resource, Captain Zed.

I will admit that despite going to Canada a lot for holidays I don't know that much detailed Canadian history beyond "Next to the Americans, in the snow, surrounded by the French, welcome to hell" to quote that one comedian ;)

I have to admit, a lot of my Canadian history is actually wrapped up in historiography, so I didn't get nearly as many facts, but more of the constant feuding in Canadian history circles...

Really rather good, Zed. It's made things a lot clearer for me, and paints a vivid image of these hard-bitten canucks.

I've picked up a relatively good mental timeline in bits and pieces, due to my own reading, but it is nice to see someone who actually knows something put it all down in front of me.

Thanks all. :eek:

II
Confederation

So, granted all this disparity, why did BNA ever come together? One reason was that what they shared - especially their British heritage - was a lot bigger than it sounds today. The fact that a Newfoundland fisherman, a PEI farmer, an Ontario lumberjack, and a BC miner, were all British citizens, was seen as a much larger thing than the obvious differences, which, if not totally gone, are at least a lot less significant. Also important, especially in Canada, was the desire to make like the United States and settle the west; the mounting population pressures were making this a more important factor by the day and a united BNA would obviously be in a better position to get its hands on the boundless prairies. The British, too, were in favor of union; their view of Empire, especially the white parts thereof, was that it was a good thing to have but the less day-to-day running - and paying for - they had to do the better. A united BNA could be relied upon to do a lot more of its own running, and paying for. The larger markets of a united BNA made it popular amongst merchants and railroad investors; as mentioned above, the Grand Trunk was one of the most urgent pushers for union.

Finally, there was the United States. In the first half of the 1860s the United States had fought and won a bloody civil war, ending in the rather surprising - and even more, disquieting - discovery that the USA had suddenly become, almost without intending to, a military power to be reckoned with. At the receiving end of a century of Manifest Destiny spirit - and it was only their good showing in 1812 that had kept BNA from being treated as roughly, or worse, than Mexico - BNA found this an understandably unsettling turn of events. A unified BNA could better organize its defense, and - more pragmatically - develop enough national sentiment of its own to keep itself from simply falling into the gaping maw of the United States.

There was also opposition, however. The main opposition to union, ironically enough in light of later events in Canadian history, came from the Maritimes, not Quebec. The Canadians largely spearheaded confederation, and many in the Maritimes were concerned about being sucked into this larger union. The economic concerns of the Maritimes and Canada were quite different; indeed, almost opposed. The Maritimes based their economies on fishing and trading, and were firmly in favor of free trade, which would keep their markets open; Canada, by contrast, wanted tariffs to help sponsor their fledgling manufacturing sector. And, in a contest between Canada and the Maritimes, there was no doubt about who would win: the much larger Canadian population (and, therefore, political representation) would trample over the Maritimers’ concerns. (In the end, the Senate, unelected but assigned seats on regional lines, as in the US, was made to solve this problem.)

Nevertheless, Confederation was brought in – “floated in on a tide of champagne”, in one historian’s phrase. Canadian politicians, spearheaded by Canadian Premier John A MacDonald and his Quebecois partner, George-Etienne Cartier, wined and dined the Maritimers at a series of conferences, first in Charlottetown, PEI and then Quebec City, trying to convince them to get onboard. By early 1867 they had New Brunswick and Nova Scotia with them and went to London to get the British government’s assent. The British government, if anything, was disappointed that PEI and Newfoundland were not joining, but were willing to let the Canadians take the last step towards total internal self-government (and self-financing). O July 1st, 1867, the BNA Act was signed, creating the new Dominion of Canada, and granting the new federal government thus created most domestic powers. Almost immediately it began to fall apart.

As a consequence of the BNA Act, the new federal government and all four new provinces of Canada had to have a new election; in the provinces this essentially amounted to a referendum on Confederation. MacDonald, merging the pro-confederation parties of the various colonies into the new Conservative Party of Canada, managed a decisive federal victory over the disorganized anti-confederation forces, thanks in no small part to his popularity in Ontario and Quebec, where the provincial pro-confederation forces also won decisive victories. In New Brunswick as well, the pro-confederationers managed a win. Not so in Nova Scotia. Premier Charles Tupper's party, who had led Nova Scotia into Canada, was massacred in the general election, winning only 2 of 38 seats. The anti-confederation Joseph Howe became premier, and immediately began making secessionist noises. But MacDonald’s new federal government managed to talk him down; Nova Scotians got more posts in the cabinet, the province got more federal grant money, and the federal government agreed to buy more of Nova Scotia’s debt. Secessionism began almost immediately to fade as a force in Nova Scotia, although it would be some time before it went away entirely.

In Quebec, by contrast, what emotion was raised by the union tended to be uniformly pro-confederation. French-Canadian nationalism, at this time, was so marginal as to be almost invisible. Nevertheless, the regionalism of the new country was a major concern for MacDonald's new government; his efforts, and the efforts of his successors, to build a nation would fill most of the rest of the century.

Last edited:
Americans should have a better grasp of both their own and Canadian history.

Also, this thread should probably be moved elsewhere.

Eight types of spiffing baked in a spiffing pie and sprinkled with spiffing spices!

I like to think fo myself as reasonably knowledgeable about Canada, to the extent that I get angry at the time-travelling republican Ontarians, but I'm also learning loads from this and I love the tone.

It does seem rather out of place here, but I can't think where it should go...