Bear Cavalry?

We've all seen the picture of the bear cavalry. But could something like this actually work? What other animals could we ride into battle other than horses, camels and elephants? Obviously, bears are out of the question.

Can anyone think of anything realistic?

Bear Cavalry would be feasible... but difficult... think like of it being like a Spartan riding a Brute while its charging.

Rhinos would be amazing as well.

outside of those, there arent really any species capable of supporting the weight or containing the speed necessary to be considered for the cavalry.

Donkey/Mule Cavalry could work.

Bull/Ox cavalry as well..

Elk...

not much else in terms of natural...

now when it comes to artificial... Motorcycles, Snow-Mobiles, ATV, and even Helicopters...

Moose Cavalry, Buffalo Cavalry, Lion Cavalry, Hippo Cavalry, Wolfpack Dog-sled Cavalry, Tiger Cavalry

A little to alot ASB but hey, so is Bear Cavalry:p

We've all seen the picture of the bear cavalry. But could something like this actually work? What other animals could we ride into battle other than horses, camels and elephants? Obviously, bears are out of the question.

Other than the above mentioned of donkeys, mules, and oxen; llamas, canines, and goats are about all I can think of, and those three are questionable.

Oh, and Yak and Waterbuffalo.

Man when I first looked ITT and read this post, I thought this thread was about "beer cavalry" and I was like that would be fucking epic as hell.

Err, is bear cavalry something that every AH.commer should know about? Or is it just some obscure nerd-thing? Or what :confused:?

/Starleaf

Hendryk

Banned
Err, is bear cavalry something that every AH.commer should know about? Or is it just some obscure nerd-thing? Or what :confused:?
It's a silly idea that keeps coming back all the time.

Seriously, folks: a rule of thumb is that if a given animal hasn't been used as a mount, it's because there was a good reason not to, and presumably not one that's possible to butterfly away. So, enough already with the bear cavalry, the war rhinos and the rest of the circus menagerie.

Behold its beauty and might... and TREMBLE ! TREEEMMBBBLLLLEEEEE !!!! :p (Bear Cavalry = "Ursiny", IMHO)

3e621738b7fe09ccb101532a9336f033.jpg

Last edited:
YOu don't actually need people riding the bears though. You could just let loose some semi-tame bears on the enemy. That would be a terrific shock weapon.

Both Sweden and the Soviet union experimented with moose cavalry.

Quite a lot of nomad Paleoasiatic tribes from Siberia (the Yakuts and Evenks come to mind) occasionally used reindeer as mounts, but of course, this doesn't count as real cavalry meant for combat.

ill45.jpg

ill44.jpg

4-boys-on-reindeer1.jpg

01shaman_riding_deer%202.jpg

YOu don't actually need people riding the bears though. You could just let loose some semi-tame bears on the enemy. That would be a terrific shock weapon.

Reminds me of the castle sim Stronghold, where one of the many defensive traps are cages with really furious and hungry dogs that you can let loose on the invading enemy... :)

Last edited:
Girafes, usefull for sniping in trench warfare :D

(off topic: Damn I wanted to make a pic and I deleted the tools pallet :( anyone who can help me to restore it easilly? )