How important was Alexander Hamilton?

Like so many of us I'm toying with a TL...

One aspect is that Alexander Hamilton isn't a part of the development of the United States. Most of the time when he's discussed, it's in the sense of a Hamilton-wank/american dystopia/King Alexander I sense. I want to go the other way...no Hamilton.

I'm really doing this to learn more about a period I don't know enough of, so I thought I'd throw the question out to see what more knowledgeable folk have to say.

So Alexander Hamilton....

He was a competent enough soldier in the ARW but I don't think he was pivotal at any point, unless you think that he was the single best staffer Washington could ever have had.

He was influential in the pre-constitution period but when the Philidelphia convention came about he was hamstrung by the other New York delegates to a large degree. Still you could argue that his "plan" was just put forward to make Madison's plan look better and that he had no expectations that anybody would take it seriously.

He coordinated the Federalist papers, which are a marvellous resource and insight into the minds of the Framers, but were they really all that influential in getting the Constitution ratified? They may have affected New York and Virginia somewhat but neither were required to put the constitution in place.

He was the first Secretary of the Treasury under Washington but, as far as I can see, he wasn't massively innovative...most of his ideas were already put forward by others like Robert Morris. Morris could have impplemented most of them, had Washington been able to convince him to serve as Secretary of the Treasury. If not Morris, then who else could have been the first secretary of the treasury in Hamilton's absence?

Was he unique in brokering the debt-for-capitol compromise in 1790? Could the Union have broken over the issue of the federal government assuming state debts if the capital had remained in Philadelphia or New York?

Where I can see an impact is his role in the development of a federalist ideology/party/faction, but even here, would it have developed without him? He was certainly one of the most effective proponents of the Federalist "ideology" but you can't discount that he was supported all the way by Washington.

Was his one seminal role to 'force' compromise on the Virginians like Madison and Jefferson? But in doing so, did he actually retard or promote the development of the anti-federalists by giving them a rallying point?

His rivallry with Aaron Burr is certainly a factor but Hamilton himself seems to have been largely a spent force, politically speaking, 1800. So Burr surviving and prospering might be one aspect.

Stilll...Hamilton was involved in so many things that his absence would have to be filled by a lot of people in different areas.

So...America without Hamilton...

AverageUser

Banned
I think he was important in creating a Federal Banking System. Otherwise, we would be a collection of regional banks.

Without Hamilton's influence the US could have developed into more of a decentralized confederecy then a true nation-state.

In hindsight, and from a Canadian perspective, I'd say Marshall's supreme court had more to do with that in the first fifty years of the US than Hamilton. What is it that Hamilton actually did that makes you credit him with a long-term centralising influence?

He ran Washington's government entirely. He created the federalist party but john Adams made sure he could never lead it. He was Washington's heir in some respects, he was the leader of gathering ground forces in the quasi-war, but it was john Adams and the duel that ended his prospects of running the country.

Hey if you need help keeping Hamilton a viable political figure you need three things to happen.........

1) He Cant sell information to the British in regards to the Jay Treaty, which made him hated by everyone but a select few and

2) He cant be involved in the first sex scandal in American history

3) Also having Phillip Schyler his Father in Law become Govenor of NY would help of in the long run.....

but on a side note i always find Phillip Hamilton, Alexander's eldest son, as an interesting figure because he was considered as briliant as Hamilton just not as abrasive

Hey if you need help keeping Hamilton a viable political figure you need three things to happen.........

I'm not trying to make Hamilton a more viable policitcal figure, I'm trying to see what happens to the development of the US without him.

I suppose this is the heart of the Great Man theory...Was Hamilton so unique that the US-as-we-know-it would have gone completely off the rails without his presence or was he just the mouthpiece for trends that would have happened anyway (Anglo-philia, northern desire for tarriffs, the need to develop a strong banking system etc.).

Washington's government would have gone on without Hamilton being ther but would Jefferson have dominated it or would the president have become a more policitised figure if Washington had to spearhead some initiatives rather than let Hamilton do it and take the brunt of Jefferson's ire?

Washington's government would have gone on without Hamilton being ther but would Jefferson have dominated it or would the president have become a more policitised figure if Washington had to spearhead some initiatives rather than let Hamilton do it and take the brunt of Jefferson's ire?

Probably America is dominated by the South even earlier.

Probably America is dominated by the South even earlier.

I can see that...to a certain extent. I see Madison and Jefferson shaping a nascent America, almost by default, because no one else seems to have a grand vision of where things should go. If the US becomes more heavily influenced by the Virginian 'Meme' instead of a balancing act between Virginia, the mid-states and New England (a la Albion's Seed) could you actually see the New England states move towards actual secession, even without a war of 1812?