Map Continuation 3 - Map 5 - Mediccia (South America)

Krall

Banned
This is the thread for the claiming of nations in the Map Continuation 3 world.

It's South America this time, known as Mediccia after the Italian bloke who first discovered it/proved it wasn't part of Asia/is historically associated with the place for some reason.

Countries that are not colonies will all be post-colonial and so will be made up primarily of ethnic Europeans. Mostly Italians, but it's almost impossible for Padania (a confederation of northern Italian states) to have colonised the entire continent, so there's bound to be some other countries.

Large nations are encouraged, as is observing geographical boundaries [rivers, mountain ranges, watersheds etc.].

Remember to keep this continent consistent. If lots of people claim colonies, do not start claiming lots of independent nations. However you should feel free to make this continent covered in colonies a la Africa or almost totally independent. It's unlikely it will be exclusively one or the other though.

Anyway, normal rules apply, no claiming the light grey area, all maps must be PNGs, clean up your borders and try not to just make your border a wavy line with no detail on it.

And..... GO!

Mediccia.png

Republica Panthera

I claim Il Republica della Terra Libre de Panthera, Republic of the free land of Panthera, a former padanian colony and one of the first Mediccian nations to get independent. It’s, nowadays, one of the most advanced countries in Mediccia, due to its historical development and natural caracteristics.

Initially ignored, at least if compared with the northern lands, Panthera grew with free workers rather than slave work force. While the northern colonies producted much more sugar, Saint Gertrudes(its former name) developed focusing inner consumption. The discovery of terra rossa, a highly fertile land after the Coastal Montains (called by the padanains “La Muraglia”), and the explorations in the inner part of the continent brought many immigrants and religious minnorities to these southern lands.

With the Discovery of gold and Diamonds in these lands, the SPIOC(Societá Padani dellas Indie Occidentalli) started to tax more and more Santa Gertrudes, in order to get this new fount of money and stop the its concentration there. The money gattered until then, plus the nationalist and liberal ideas that were appearing and the rise of the Italian Federation ended with the independence of this Padanian colony.

It’s named after the legend about the Discovery of these lands: it was said that the first expedition that saw Panthera’s coast was lost in a storm, and prayed to Saint Gertrudes, Saint of the travellers (and cats) to help them. The storm ended and they spotted land. At the beach there was a big feline, with they thought to be a Tiger or a Panther, as there were in southern Asia. The nickname "Terra Panthera" or "Terra Giagare" was used to describle Panthera since then. Much after, when the independence moviment started, they got in the feline the perfect symbol for Pantheran nationality and authority.

(I know that it’s pretty big, but I’m not claiming all of South America, these claim size makes sense with this region geography and it’s better than a just coastal nation. Otherwise, there'll be lots of landlocked nations that would hardly exist or make sense.)

edited: corrected the gray area

panthera.png

The Republic of Istmo.
A former Padanian colony.

*can it have a bit of territory in Central Amirca also.

South America.PNG

Krall

Banned
(I know that it’s pretty big, but I’m not claiming all of South America, these claim size makes sense with this region geography and it’s better than a just coastal nation. Otherwise, there'll be lots of landlocked nations that would hardly exist or make sense.)

Nation approved.

Also, there should be some landlocked nations, I've noticed that people are very reluctant to claim landlocked nations anywhere, and especcially in South America.

The Republic of Istmo

*can it have a bit of territory in Central Amirca also.

Istmo? What?

And sorry, but you're not allowed to pre-claim.

The Kingdom of Mór Cothrom Gaoth, a colony of the Gaelic Empire.

Vetoed. Unrealistic and inconsistent.

Nation approved.

Also, there should be some landlocked nations, I've noticed that people are very reluctant to claim landlocked nations anywhere, and especcially in South America.

Istmo? What?

And sorry, but you're not allowed to pre-claim.

It means Isthmus in Italian, given thats it is located on the Panama Isthmus, it seems a fitting name. Fine than I will not preclaim, but on when the North America map comes, can I extend it's territory a bit?

Krall

Banned
It means Isthmus in Italian, given thats it is located on the Panama Isthmus, it seems a fitting name. Fine than I will not preclaim, but on when the North America map comes, can I extend it's territory a bit?

Rather unimaginative and unrealistic. I suggest you make up a proper name for it.

And yes you can extend it's territory when North America is posted, if you claim that area before anyone else does.

Giaguitia and Iagania, a colony (probably Padanian). The name derives from two Amerindian groups in Argentina, the Diaguita and the Yahgans. Note that the filename is "Australia", that's a backup name, perhaps boring, but perhaps more plausible.

EDIT: Also, I didn't include Istmo, but that's because I'm lazy.

australia.PNG

Rather unimaginative and unrealistic. I suggest you make up a proper name for it.

And yes you can extend it's territory when North America is posted, if you claim that area before anyone else does.

Fine than what about Nova Calabria(New Calabria)?

Krall

Banned
Giaguitia and Iagania, a colony (probably Padanian). The name derives from two Amerindian groups in Argentina, the Diaguita and the Yahgans. Note that the filename is "Australia", that's a backup name, perhaps boring, but perhaps more plausible.

Vetoed for inconsistency. Small colonies only.

Fine than what about Nova Calabria(New Calabria)?

That's better.

The Libera Repubblica di Caterina. Named for the patron saint of Italy, Caterina is not exactly free, nor exactly a republic. Its aging political system was recently thrown into dissarry by a military coup which has left the region somewhat unstable. The incapability of the police and army to properly control Caterina's criminal underworld has lead to the area becoming the source for much of the world's cannabis and cocaine.

Mediccia.png

The Dominion of Äquator, a former German colony that liberated itself after a 10 year war.

Also, wasn't there a La Plata planned?

Map 5 - Mediccia.PNG

Krall

Banned
Nova Aragon

A small, former Union Navarre colony.

For god's sake, please clean up your borders!

The Dominion of Äquator, a former German colony that liberated itself after a 10 year war.

I know I said that Italy probably wouldn't be the only one to colonise Mediccia, but you've just claimed the place that they would need to have colonised in order for the nation to the south to exist.

So, vetoed. Sorry.

Also, wasn't there a La Plata planned?

It's unrealistic now, and, as I keep saying, no pre-claiming is allowed.

Krall

Banned
How is that not small? It has only about a million people IOTL.

Hmm... good point.

However, it's an entirely useless area to have and it's increasingly likely that it wasn't the Italians that colonised that area.

I know I said that Italy probably wouldn't be the only one to colonise Mediccia, but you've just claimed the place that they would need to have colonised in order for the nation to the south to exist.

So, vetoed. Sorry.
Very well, I shall do what all good Mappers do, never admit defeat and try again.

The Republic of Humbol, formerly Humboldtsland, a former German colony.

Map 5 - Mediccia.PNG

The Independent State of Montagnia(Mountainous Land in Italian), it is a rather poor country.
Or am I allowed only one country on this continent?

South America.PNG

Updated the map with what I think Krall approved.

Plus the former Italian colony/province of Zechina formerly Zecchinacapola (Sequined Ribbon). The Amazon (name?) was first explored by Ludivico Caboto, a Venetian, for Padania

MedeecciaSA.png

Krall, exactly how opposed would you be to a Yangtze trading outpost in the Galapagos (Definitely with a different name)?

If not, there are other islands that are today uninhabited but that could probably sustain some sort of small outpost, like Easter Island or something (which I'm not sure if it's in the Meddicia map or in Australia).

EDIT: I'd also like to make a comment concerning Terra Panthera, but large nations in general: it would be generally very difficult if not impossible to maintain control of the most inland areas you claimed without control of the Amazon basis, since traveling over land in such a heavily forested region is nigh impossible, with diseases and predators likely to take a very heavy toll. I'd say the most likely border for your country would be the Paraná.

Last edited: