AH awards?

has anyone esle thought of this? at some time we give out awards to good TL in different catagroies. here are some catagories.

Best Dystopia non-Draka

Best Utopia

Best Draka

Best Civil War

Best WW2

Best WW1

Best Anchent

Best Religous

Best 'you wake up...'

Best orignial

Best funny

Best cameos

so what do you think? you would nominate a thread (not your own) and then there would be a poll where you could vote until a certian day.

Good idea. Should also have a Best Non-Western, Best Medieval (defined as not ancient or modern), and Best AH Challenge Answer.

How about:
Best Rome
Best Bronze Age
Best Far East
Best FH
Best Doubleblind
Best Map
Wierdest Plausible Timeline
Best ASB
Best Alternate US President
Best Fictional Historical Characters
Best Crosstime flag
Best two page timeline.

But we should have about 20 catgories.

What about also:
Best race relations (sub-categories for different groups- African-Americans, American Indians, Hispanic etc)
Best Australian
Best military (for different military conflicts)
Best 'better possible outcome' (re such hist events as the 1994 Rwanda genocide)
Best legal

Grey Wolf

Donor
fortyseven said:
Best 19th is in Medieval.

Thats nuts, Medieval is seen as ending in the 16th century at the latest, and from there to the 18th as early modern. Logically maybe 19th century would be 'industrial age' or something like that.

I was trying to get across the point that ATLs don't all revolve around wars (ACW, WW1 etc) because they can actually get rid of the wars, so era specific ones would make more sense

Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf said:
Thats nuts, Medieval is seen as ending in the 16th century at the latest, and from there to the 18th as early modern. Logically maybe 19th century would be 'industrial age' or something like that.

I was trying to get across the point that ATLs don't all revolve around wars (ACW, WW1 etc) because they can actually get rid of the wars, so era specific ones would make more sense

Grey Wolf
Personally I thought the Midevil ages ended mid-15th. Has anyone done an Alternate Age of Exploration? Having Columbus land in Delaware...orFrance ending up in Brazil?

Are we actually doing this, or are we just going to talk about it? I sugest oppening up for nominations on a new thread as soon as possible.

Also, I hate to say this, but I think doing dates would be a better idea, for instance:

B.C.

A.D. - 900

900-1550

1550-1789

1789-1914

1914- present

than of course crosstimeline and alien space bats.

reformer said:
Are we actually doing this, or are we just going to talk about it? I sugest oppening up for nominations on a new thread as soon as possible.

Also, I hate to say this, but I think doing dates would be a better idea, for instance:

B.C.

A.D. - 900

900-1550

1550-1789

1789-1914

1914- present

than of course crosstimeline and alien space bats.

I tend to agree...dividing it up by date (POD date, obviously, as many timelines will cross into different date categories) would probably be the best way to go. There are just too many possible sub-categories to do it any other way. Possibly we can use the categories in the AH Directory section of this website as a guide. Based on these, I would suggest the following...

I. Timelines based on published Fiction
Includes Draka, Tarrantry Naval Fiction, Peshawar Lancers, etc.

II. General History Timelines, by date category...
--Late 20th Century
--World War 2
--Early 20th Century (Includes World War 1)
--19th Century (Includes American Civil War)
--18th Century (Includes American War of Independence)
--1400 AD - 1700 AD
--Medieval Period (500 AD-1400 AD)
--Ancient Period (3500 BC-500 AD)
--Prehistory

III. ASB/ISOT/Cross-Time Timelines

I would then suggest that a thread be opened seeking nominations in each category. Once nominations are closed, polls can be set up for each category by which we would vote on them. We would allow a certain amount of time for the polling, and then announce the results.

Now...what do we do for the actual awards? Anyone care to take a stab at creating a .gif or .jpg picture for the award? If noone else does, I would not object to trying it. The picture can be personalized with the person's name, the award category, and the title of the timeline, and if the person has a website, he/she can post it on there (kind of like these web awards one sees on various sites). Something like the below, for example...

AHAWARD.gif

Last edited:
reformer said:
so, our we going to do this or not?

Well, rather than let this good idea slip away by being talked to death as some others have been done on this board, I will take the initiative and open up a thread for nominations.

Diamond

Banned
Scarecrow said:
what about calling the awards turtledoves? they can be a little gold statue in the form of Harry Turtledove
We can clone WC Fields to be the presenter. Ahhhh yesss, my little turtledoves... :D

Faeelin's big "Serenissma Eterna" TL is my nomination for Medieval/Renaissance.

Diamond's "Second Carthaginian Empire" is my classical times nominee (Emperor Heraclius).

Ian's Draka TL is my nomination for best Draka TL (or best "Early Modern" TL if there is no Draka category).

There is a seperate thread for nominations. Although I still think an overall catogorie should be put up.