"A Shot Heard Around the World" Teaser (map)

Hi all,

Some of you may have read my multi-part TL "A Shot Heard Around the World", which deals with the results of the future Edward VII being assassinated in 1900. Well, I've almost finished re-designing the website and have added a conclusion of sorts, as well as a plethora of maps, flags etc.

So for now, have a teaser- a map of the various states that comprise China, circa 1950...

China.jpg

davekohlhoff said:
Wow, that's nice. I think you're TL is great.

Thanks a lot- you can never have too many maps in an ATL as far as I'm concerned...

I was always a bit irritated that I never got round to finishing ASHATW off- hopefully with the new stuff I've written it'll make a bit more sense and give you a glimpse of the post-war world once that nasty De Gaulle fellow's been sent packing :D

Last edited:

Thande

Donor
It is. It's all official, and, uh, everything. :cool: Was that done by modifying an existing atlas-type map, or creating a map from scratch and then adding the atlas-like terms?

Pax Britannia - Yes, I'll definately be posting a link. Will hopefully be ready over the weekend, work permitting :( .

Thande - I was trying for the official look... The original unphotoshopped one's from here; http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/middle_east_and_asia/china_pol01.jpg - actually, that site's brilliant for maps, it's well worth bookmarking.

I'm currently in the process of doing a similar one for the Middle East- I'll post it when it's done.

Oh, and while I'm here, have another teaser, this time of the situation in Europe circa 1950. Not as professional looking as the other one though I'm afraid- I might take the time to do a really realistic version next time I get bored :)

Europe1950.gif

Mmm...Greece seems to own a chunk of Asia Minor, Bulgaria seems to own a strip of Aegean coast, Romania seems to own most of Moldova, Austria-Hungary rules most of Central Europe, Italy owns Albania and Libya, Germany owns a good chunk of Poland, Poland is small and shrunken and landlocked, the Baltic states and Scandinavia appear to be independent, but is that Finland owning the Kola Peninsula!? France doesn't have Alsace or Lorraine, there is no independent Luxembourg, Spain is split into plain old Spain, Galicia, Catalonia and the Basque Country, the French own West Africa, Morocco is independent, Egypt is independent, Syria owns a good chunk of the Mediterranean coast, Kurdistan is independent, Iraq is shrunken, Iran is swollen, Afghanistan is swollen, and there are more Arab states visible than in OTL on the peninsula...is the Hedjaz independent?

Diamond

Banned
EdT: Looking forward to the TL. Awesome map of China - it looks like it came right out of an atlas.

Question: Do you have a base template of that Europe map? It's a perfect size and area (most of my Europe maps don't include north Africa.).

Diamond said:
Question: Do you have a base template of that Europe map? It's a perfect size and area (most of my Europe maps don't include north Africa.).

I'm afraid what you see is basically what I have. The base is is from a programme called Centennia which essentially shows the changing borders of Europe between 1000AD and 2000 - assuming the company's still in business it's really worth ordering a copy for yourself, it's a nice little programme.

I don't have it installed on my computer at present and the installation disks are 200 miles away back home in sunny Gloucestershire, so I'm afraid I don't have a version with modern borders. I have got maps from OTL's 1912 and 1939 though, if that's any help to you. I've also got a very nice world map with modern borders if that's any help.

Spartan

Banned
Interesting Greece most have won Anatolia from Turkey in the Balkan War right? Or maybe at indenpence or that one Greco-Turkish war in the 20's.

Romulus Augustulus said:
Mmm...Greece seems to own a chunk of Asia Minor, Bulgaria seems to own a strip of Aegean coast, Romania seems to own most of Moldova, Austria-Hungary rules most of Central Europe, Italy owns Albania and Libya, Germany owns a good chunk of Poland, Poland is small and shrunken and landlocked, the Baltic states and Scandinavia appear to be independent, but is that Finland owning the Kola Peninsula!? France doesn't have Alsace or Lorraine, there is no independent Luxembourg, Spain is split into plain old Spain, Galicia, Catalonia and the Basque Country, the French own West Africa, Morocco is independent, Egypt is independent, Syria owns a good chunk of the Mediterranean coast, Kurdistan is independent, Iraq is shrunken, Iran is swollen, Afghanistan is swollen, and there are more Arab states visible than in OTL on the peninsula...is the Hedjaz independent?

If you weren't aware - the POD (assassination of the Prince of Wales in 1900) prevented the Entente Cordiale, resulting in an easy Central Powers victory in the "European War" with the following results:

* Germany annexes Luxembourg, and sets up puppet states in Congress Poland and the Baltic States. Finland becomes independent
* Italy annexes Tunisia
* Serbia is divided between Austria-Hungary and Bulgaria.
* Ottomans annex the Kars region

In the inter-war period a Hungarian rebellion fails, causing the Habsburg Empire to be reorganized on a federal basis as 'Danubia'. Russia attempts to reconquer Finland but is defeated by German and British intervention and loses the Kola Peninsula. Fascist regimes rise in France and Russia, and the French take advantage of a Spanish civil war to create the puppet states of Spain and Catalonia. A French invasion of Morocco then triggers the "Great War" in 1940:

France + Spain + Catalonia + Russia vs. Britain + Germany + Danubia + Morocco + Japan

It seems like Ottomans must have collapsed under a Russian atack in the Great War, but it seems strange that Russia be on the winning side given the imbalance of power listed above...

Thande

Donor
I always thought a more likely future for Austria-Hungary was for Germany to annex the Austrian portion (including Bohemia), Hungary to declare independence as a German ally, and then have trouble when the Balkan provinces and Transylvania get separatist impulses of their own.

George Carty said:
It seems like Ottomans must have collapsed under a Russian atack in the Great War, but it seems strange that Russia be on the winning side given the imbalance of power listed above...

Who says the Russians have to win? Indeed, if there were Russian troops marching through Berlin and Vienna I'd be rather surprised to see that the Baltics at the very least aren't annexed in the post-war settlement. On the other hand, it doesn't look like the Allies have done anything that indicates a massive victory on their part either- no independent Ukraine or enlarged poland for example. Hopefully things will make sense in the updated version...

As for Korea, yes, it's very much Japanese in 1950- and both the 'Reformed Republic' and Manchuria are Japanese puppet states.