Timeline W: WI pro-Polish coup in Lithuania in 1919?

I recently began to develop a timeline of my own and modified it with the feedback from various commentators. Yet, what I present below is still a draft and covering only first two years. I hope the comments, productive criticism and brainstorming on this board will help me create a final version of the timeline.

Timeline W

OTL Background: 1st Silesian Uprising
OTL Background: Sejny Uprising

POD: 1 September 1919: Pro-Polish Coup in Lithuania by general Silvestras Žukauskas in collaboration with Walery Sławek. New government partially based on Polish minority MPs is established. Soon after Lithuania accepts Foch demarcation line and allies with Poland against Soviet Russia. Poland thus gains secure border with Lithuania, access to volunteers from Lithuania, limited supplies and war materials and some regular units will join Polish army.

OTL Background: Piłsudski’s Proclamation to the Inhabitants of the Former Grand Duchy of Lithuania. (Obviously ITTL Piłsudski’s Międzymorze concept and federative plans gain more traction than OTL. Still it is doubtful that even a pro-Polish Lithuania will wish to become part of a single federal state. Being a satellite state seems more probable.)
ATL Background: Alytus Volunteer Cavalry Regiment (Ochotniczy Olicki Pułk Kawalerii)
Question: How many regular units and which ones?
Question: Any organized political opposition in Lithuania?

January 1920: (December 1919?) Polish Army takes Dyneburg. (In OTL it was handed over to the Latvians, while ITTL Poland considers it’s position in the region strong enough to keep this region with Polish plurality. This will eventually lead to worse relations with Latvia.)

OTL Background: Red Army codes broken.
OTL Background: No military operations during spring in the Borderlands (flooding, mud ect.)

April 1920: Kiev operation starts. (Similar to OTL)

OTL Background: Unfavorable French reaction (If Piłsudski wanted to attack Ukraine he should have done done the year before with Denikin.)
OTL Background: Stated aim is to liberate Ukraine and create Polish-lead Federation. ITTL that’s more probable due pro-Polish stance of Lithuania.
Possible Divergence: Due to butterflies Soviet leaders put more priority on this front. 12th and 14th army are better prepared and engage Polish forces, instead of retreating as OTL. Yet they are unable to repel Polish attacks and are broken. Adopting this divergence would mean achieving Kiev Offensive military objective and in consequence lead to creating and Ukrainian state. However it seems like to much good luck for Poland.

May 1920: Kiev taken. Poland did not gain much more land than OTL, since doing so would require crossing vast tracts of basically empty land and significantly larger and better prepared army.

OTL Background: Ambivalent Ukrainian reaction.

May 1920: Budionny’s 1st Cavarly Army arrives attempt to push Polish-Ukrainian Forces from Kiev. Poles defend themselves slightly better than OTL, but are eventually (late June in comparison to early-mid June OTL) forced to withdraw from Kiev. Soviets redirect additional units to this front. Budionny threatens Lwow.

Question: Can Soviets muster more forces? Which ones? How does that affect other fronts of Russian Civil War, for example Wrangel forces in Crimea?

July 1920: Tukhachevski starts his offensive on the northern front. (Polish army, due to not having to deal with hostile Lithuania was able to take better defensive positions during the previous year.)

Question: Or does he, seeing that the strategic situation is different than OTL?
ATL background: Tukhachevski has a dilemma. Does he attempt to strike a decisive blow to Poland and commit all his forces to capture Warsaw or does he divert some of his troops to take out Lithuania? He chooses the second option.
ATL background: Red Army promises Wilno to Lithuania. Some Lithuanian nationalist (who exactly?) form an unlikely alliance with the Soviets to topple the Pro-Polish Government. This move will later discredit current Lithuanians nationalist leaders (who exactly?) in the eyes of some Lithuanians. (In OTL Soviets gave Wilno to Lithuania, but under different circumstances.)

11 July 1920: East Prussia plebiscite. 11% votes for Poland (Warsaw is not directly threatened, but Red Army is still advancing). By the decision of the Entente Sztum, Nidzica and Ełk are added to Poland.

ATL Background: Ełk-Olsztyn [Lyck-Allenstein] controversy. There were more votes for Poland in Olsztyn, than in Ełk. Yet it was impossible for Olsztyn to join Poland since it was surrounded by territories that voted to stay in Germany. After much political haggling Entente decided to reinterpret the plebiscites results and add Ełk to Poland instead.
Question: Is 11% a plausible result?

July 1920:
Executive act (is that a proper term?) for the Land (Agrarian) Reform passed in Sejm.

August 1920:
Tukhachevski offensive losses momentum after only reaching Białystok in Poland and Kaunas in Lithuania. With a daring Polish counterattack the tide turns and Red army begins to retreat. (In OTL this was the time when Warsaw battle was fought.)
ATL Background: In this ATL historiography it is generally accepted that Polish independence was not in danger and Polish-Soviet War is analyzed more from the point of view of Piłsudki’s fighting to create his Międzymorze federation.
ATL Background: Remnant pro-Polish Lithuania resisting the Soviets from the town of Szawle [Šiauliai]
Question: Effects on Polish politics? This is after the March constitution was declared so Piłsudski still can’t hope to be influential president. Maybe he will attempt to make himself Leader of Międzymorze, a new position separate from President of Poland.

August 1920: Czechoslovakia agrees to hold a plebiscite over a disputed region of Cieszyn Silesia. (OTL Edvard Beneš due to weaker Polish position during the Polish-Soviet War was able to persuade the Entente to impose a decision favorable to Czechoslovakia)

19 August 1920: Nothing of note. (OTL Second Silesian Uprising started, but as there is no false announcement of Warsaw fall is printed, no German celebration degenerating into violence, and no escalation and armed Polish response)

Question: Should alternate uprising be added somewhere in summer or fall of 1920?

November 1920: By this time Polish-Offensive on both northern and southern front reaches Belarus (ATL battle of Minsk) and Ukraine, while Soviet commanders desperately try to rally demoralized and retreating Red Army units.

ATL Background: Polish army is in fact slightly weaker than OTL, due to the lack of volunteer influx before OTL Warsaw battle. Yet, with some luck, it should still be enough to beat the Red Army. But not enough to continue the offensive south into Ukraine.
ATL Background: Polish vs. pro-Polish Lithuanian army race to liberate Wilno.
ATL Background: Problems with Polish troops not wanting to leave Lithuanian territory retaken from the Red Army.

January 1921: Treaty of Kaunas (OTL Treaty of Riga). In south Poland gets it’s OTL border, while in the north a Belarus state is created. Initially Piłsudski wanted to pressure Polish Sejm and Lithuanian leadership into giving Wilno and Mińsk to Lithuania and creating Lithuanian Federation (three part Lithuanian-Polish-Belarus state federated with Republic of Poland). It has proven infeasible since Polish politics would not give Wilno region to Lithuania, while Lithuanians realized that the proposed territorial gains would mean creating a state where Lithuanians themselves would be a minority (and still remain a Polish satellite).

Question: What should the exact Belarus borders be?
ATL Background: Belarusian state would face multiple problems. Underdeveloped territory with little population. No tradition of being an independent state and no capable political elite. Industry being almost non-existent and proximity to the Soviet Union (expect serious propaganda and border incursions continuing for years)

February 1921: Vilnius Pact. After much political haggling Piłsudski announces the creation of Vilnius Pact (without Ukraine it can’t be called “Międzymorze”), an alliance (not a federation, as there would be to much resistance in both Poland and Lithuania) of nations that once were the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. Mutual defense treaties, coupled with military cooperation and trade agreement. Naturally Poland is the dominant partner,

Important Question: International reaction to this?
Important Question: Is it possible to get this past Polish Sejm?
ATL Background: Piłsudski is regarded more as conqueror and state builder, than savior of Poland. In fact his position is weaker than OTL and he will burn a lot of his political capital by trying to build Międzymorze. As OTL Piłsudski will remain bitter due to the fact, he failed to create an Ukrainian state.
ATL Background: Joint Polish Sejm and Lithuanian Seimas session with delegates from Belarus also attending.
Possible Divergence: Lithuanian Federation might have been created after all.

March 1921: March Constitution.

OTL Background: The legal frameworks for Polish state. Formed as a compromise between contesting faction. From political point of view two issues were: 1. Whether Senat (upper house of parliament) should exist and 2. How influential should the president be and who will elect him? Ultimately it was decided that Senat would be formed and presidential powers would be very limited, both results favorable for Endecja.
Question: It’s now almost two years from the POD and considering the rapidly shifting situation in Polish politics of that period there could certainly be some serious butterflies. How do you think March Constitution could be affected?

March 1921:
Upper Silesian Plebiscite. 43% votes for Poland (due to less German action and Polish success in Polish-Soviet War, yet extra 3% votes are not enough for to win the plebiscite). As in OTL this is fallowed by Second (OTL Third) Silesian uprising. Ultimately in addition to OTL territory Poland gets Gliwice and Oleśno.

June 1921: Cieszyn Silesian Plebiscite is conducted. 78% votes for Poland. Along with most disputed territory Poland gains rich coal deposits, Trzyniec Iron Works, while Czechoslovakians lose a vital railroad connection. Other disputed areas Spisz and Orawa remain Czechoslovakian. Shortly thereafter Czechoslovakia negotiates a 10 year right of transit through the disputed railway.

ALT Background: Czechoslovakian relations with Poland would certainly be better than OTL. The question is, by how much?
Question: Effects on Czechoslovakian economy and politics?

December (?) 1922: First president election in Poland. Endecja candidate Count Maurycy Zamoyski.

ATL Background: There would be more opposition to Pilsudski than OTL, probably enough to tip the scales.
ATL Background: No Narutowicz assassination. That should have significant consequences? What exactly?

POSSIBLE LATER EVENTS:

+ Problems in Belarus, most probably severe enough to affect Poland. Possibly severe enough to escalate and involve Soviet Russia. Will Europe be ready for a Second Polish-Soviet War in 20s?
+ Lithuanians seeking to overthrow Polish domination. This could either be averted by some political compromise or alternatively lead to Polish military intervention or even civil war.
+ As OTL Piłsudski being disillusioned by parliamentary democracy and seeking means to rectify the situation. ITTL he has an interesting alternative to simple coup in Poland. He might want to build up his position as military leader of Wilno Pact and attempt to take over all three countries and finally unite them into a full-fledged federation.
+ I’m also musing about Piłsudski being assassinated before he could attempt to take power in Poland. Maybe in 1925, during a military parade in Minsk he was shot by a soldier performing a gun salute. This would drive both Poland and Lithuania, and by extension Belarus into chaos.
+ Endecja Coup is also a possibility, maybe as a result of one of the events described above. As Endecja does not have much army support, but a strong base in Wielkopolska this could become bloodier than OTL May Coup. Yet Endecja would probably ultimately fail. This opens up new possibilities. With Piłsudski dead and Endecja reputation is in ruins a new force would become dominant. Possibly the left under Daszyński.
+ Or maybe political situation never spins out of control and Poland remains a parliamentary republic?
+ Given proper conditions Wilno Pact can expand to cover the rest of Baltic states and Finland, thus create a barrier against Soviet expansion.
+ Consider the butterflies on Soviet Union. Less resources available due to losing Belarus. Possibly Stalin replaced by a different Soviet leader, maybe Bukharin?
+ Consider the influence on international politics. With luck we could have cabinet changes as soon as 1920 in France and UK.
+ (Insert your idea here)
+ (Post your comments below)

The east border of Belarus would be roughly the Berezina River. Even if he took additional teritories from the Soviets, IMO Piłsudski would not chose to make Belarus bigger in the east, but rather create a rump Ukraine, centered around Zhytomir. Belarus’ western border would be similar to OTL Poland’s. If Piłsudski wants to make the Belarussian state more stable, he might give them some chunks of Poland’s east. That would make even more of Belarusian elites Polish, and even tie it to Poland. If Endecja comes to power, it might simply attempt to annex Belarus.

The Vilnius Pact... I think that the Sejm will agree. With the right border with Belarus, the Right won't object much. There might be trouble with Latvia over the Dyneburg issue, and if Latvia doesn’t join, neither will Estonia. Romania is IMO a plausible candidate.

Czechoslovakia. We have essentially a reverse-OTL situation about Teschen. I cannot see how it would cause substantially better relations between Poland and Czechoslovakia.

Since the Red Army never actually threatened Poland’s survival, there may be dangerous overconfidence in the case of a future crisis involving the Soviet Union.

The east border of Belarus would be roughly the Berezina River.
I'm afraid it is not enough territory to make a viable state. Unless you mean something like teal on this map. Don't you think Soviet Russia could be pressured into ceding Vitebsk and and Gomel as well?
Even if he took additional teritories from the Soviets, IMO Piłsudski would not chose to make Belarus bigger in the east,
Why not? What is wrong with Belarussians getting more land in the east if it ethnically Belarusian and your armies are in good enough position to enforce the claim?
but rather create a rump Ukraine, centered around Zhytomir.
Hmmm... that's an interesting concept but I think Poland would be reluctant to do that. To create an Ukrainian state you have to base it around Kiev (out of Polish armies reach) or Lwow (impossible, since Poland already included that territories in their state). IMHO rump Ukraine centered on Zhytomir would only serve to exacerbate the problems in Polish Galicia.
Belarus’ western border would be similar to OTL Poland’s. If Piłsudski wants to make the Belarussian state more stable, he might give them some chunks of Poland’s east.
I though so as well, but still I haven't decided which Polish territories could be handed over to Belarus.
If Endecja comes to power, it might simply attempt to annex Belarus.
That depends on the exact period. Early on, there was a concept of Dmowski Line, which included Belarus within Polish borders. However it was abonded, since Endecja concluded it would be impossible to assimilate such a large population of Belarusians.
There might be trouble with Latvia over the Dyneburg issue, and if Latvia doesn’t join, neither will Estonia.
True.
We have essentially a reverse-OTL situation about Teschen.
Care to elaborate?

I'm afraid it is not enough territory to make a viable state. Unless you mean something like teal on this map. Don't you think Soviet Russia could be pressured into ceding Vitebsk and and Gomel as well?

Yes, the teal is what I meant. If the Polish army in the north is strong enough, Belarus can be enlarged beyond the border of the teal area. Although the Soviets would want a buffer around Smolensk.

Piłsudski enlarging Belarus to the east? I believe that if he can do that, then that would mean he is capable of taking Kiev, and giving it to the Ukrainians. (Evidently in this TL he could not.)

BTW, what exactly was Piłsudski’s relation to the Ukraine in this TL? Did he make any agreements with somebody like Petlura, or did he start Operation Kiev meaning to find some Ukrainian government once peace with the Soviet Union was made? Assuming some sort of Ukrainian state is created, some concessions in Volhynia or easternmost Galicia would sufficiently ease tensions. Also, I wonder how plausible a Ukraine based on Zhytomir and Odessa is. (Presumably with Romanian involvement in the Polish-Soviet war). Romania should be pleased with such a buffer state.

I though so as well, but still I haven't decided which Polish territories could be handed over to Belarus.

I think that Polesie (without Brest of course) and the Nowogródek area could be given away. Endeks could be made to agree if Belarus makes concessions to its Polish minority. Besides, there are Latvians in Dyneburg to assimilate.

Hnau

Banned
I'm kinda confused by your formatting. Might want to make it a bit simpler to digest.

Piłsudski enlarging Belarus to the east? I believe that if he can do that, then that would mean he is capable of taking Kiev, and giving it to the Ukrainians.
I'm not entirely sure that it's true. Prypet Marshes create a clear distinction between southern and northern fronts. Furthermore there is an issue of resources and time (Polish push in Belarus ends on November/December and as you can’t wage war in Borderlands during spring Piłsudski would have to wait for the next campaign season – which would be hard to do in terms of politics )
BTW, what exactly was Piłsudski’s relation to the Ukraine in this TL? Did he make any agreements with somebody like Petlura, or did he start Operation Kiev meaning to find some Ukrainian government once peace with the Soviet Union was made?
ITTL situation is very similar to OTL. Major changes happen in the north.
(Presumably with Romanian involvement in the Polish-Soviet war). Romania should be pleased with such a buffer state
I tinkered about that idea, but after some research it turned out Romania was unwilling to commit it's forces to war with Soviet Russia at that time. (They already had Bessarabia.)
I think that Polesie (without Brest of course) and the Nowogródek area could be given away.
It's a possibility, through I'm under the impression that Belarusians would get less than that.
We have essentially a reverse-OTL situation about Teschen.
I still don't understand what you mean by that. According to my understanding OTL tensions between Poland and Chechoslovakia resulted from the fact that Czechoslovakians had taken Cieszyn in early 1919 and then pressured the Entente into recognizing this claim. ITTL Czechoslovakians also take Cieszyn, but the whole situatian is resolved in plebiscite.
I'm kinda confused by your formatting. Might want to make it a bit simpler to digest.
I hope to write a "book-except-based-timeline" for my final version.

I prepared a probable version of western Belarus borders. it's based upon existing administrative borders, demographics and rivers. Click the thumbmail:

As for eastern borders I think it's safe to assume that Vitebsk and Gomel would be included. Since Soviet negotiatiors proposed "all of Belarus" during OTL Treaty of Riga, and ITTL Polish military situation in the north is even better.

Thande

Donor
Interesting scenario. I'd like to see a map of Poland and its allies by the end of what you have so far to show the results of all the minor changes in plebiscites etc you mention.

I wonder what the effect on Western European politics will be. The Soviet Union will be a bit less of a Red menace, maybe lowering support for virulently anti-Bolshevik voices in those countries. In Germany, revanchism might focus on the territories lost to Poland directly rather than being bound up with anti-communist ideology, with the result that groups like the Nazis are disfavoured and something like a military regime is a more likely candidate for starting a second world war.

I'd like to see a map of Poland and its allies by the end of what you have so far to show the results of all the minor changes in plebiscites etc you mention.
Ask and you shall receive:
5th_Alternate_Map_of_Poland_by_Magnificate.png

I wonder what the effect on Western European politics will be.
I try to wrap my mind around it as well. Will Loyd George career be affected in some way? Would Ruhr occupation be affected and how?
The Soviet Union will be a bit less of a Red menace, maybe lowering support for virulently anti-Bolshevik voices in those countries. In Germany, revanchism might focus on the territories lost to Poland directly rather than being bound up with anti-communist ideology, with the result that groups like the Nazis are disfavoured and something like a military regime is a more likely candidate for starting a second world war.
It one of the possibilities.

The map is very good, pleasantly detailed. The Polish-Belarusian border looks quite plausible. But it strikes me as a bit odd that while the Belarus-Soviet border is so far to the east compared to OTL's border of the USRR, Poland's southeastern border is the same as OTL. I would expect at least Kamieniec Podolski to be within Poland's borders.

I would expect at least Kamieniec Podolski to be within Poland's borders.
As far as I know southern Polish-Soviet presented on my map was pre-planned since early 1919*, so IMHO it wouldn't change even if Poland had stronger position during the peace talks. Also note that more success on northern front does not automatically translate to more success on southern front, and Treaty of Kaunas reflected that as well.

* For this very reason I was unwilling to give too much Polish territory to Belarus.

Faeelin

Banned
POD: 1 September 1919: Pro-Polish Coup in Lithuania by general Silvestras Žukauskas in collaboration with Walery Sławek. New government partially based on Polish minority MPs is established. Soon after Lithuania accepts Foch demarcation line and allies with Poland against Soviet Russia. Poland thus gains secure border with Lithuania, access to volunteers from Lithuania, limited supplies and war materials and some regular units will join Polish army.

What does Lithuania get from joining the war?

I imagine there would be a significant backlash within Lithuania; there's a reason they were friendly neutrals towards the Soviets.

Question: Can Soviets muster more forces? Which ones? How does that affect other fronts of Russian Civil War, for example Wrangel forces in Crimea?

May affect Red Craziness in the Caucasus, but I'm not sure by how much. Certainly, you don't see Soviet troops dispatched to Iran.
Important Question: International reaction to this?

Foch might consider the Poles more favorably than OTL... but beyond that? I don't think it'd be that strong, one way or another.

Other than Germany, who is powerless.

ALT Background: Czechoslovakian relations with Poland would certainly be better than OTL. The question is, by how much?
Question: Effects on Czechoslovakian economy and politics?

Really? Czechoslovakia had to give up historic Teschen, no?

It's very interesting; I'm not sure how stable such a state is; and certainly most Belarussians saw themselves as "Russians", at this point...

Hrm.

Superb map, M.
Thank you.
Not very much. Notice that there was some talk about giving them both Wilno and Minsk, but nothing came out of it. So in comparison to OTL Lithuania only gets more buffer separating them from Soviet Russia and better trade opportunities with Poland.
I imagine there would be a significant backlash within Lithuania; there's a reason they were friendly neutrals towards the Soviets.
Very true, especially considering the fact that Lithuanian nationalism was based upon rejection of Polish heritage and influence. So as soon as Poland loses it's grip on Lithuania there will be serious backslash.
Other than Germany, who is powerless.
Won't stay powerless for long. ATL Rapallo Treaty is sure to be signed and by 1924/25 we will most probably see Entente-Germany rapprochement (meaning France beign less anti-German, and England being sympathetic).

Any ideas for butterflies affecting Germany, Faeelin? Maybe the Ruhr occupation has different conclusion? Maybe Gustav Stressman never comes to power?

Really? Czechoslovakia had to give up historic Teschen, no?
Indeed, but that was the result of a lost plebiscite. At least it will result in Poland being more willing to deal with Czechoslovakia, which wasn't the case in OTL.
and certainly most Byelorussians saw themselves as "Russians", at this point...
Not entirely true. They certainly were being Russified, but at the same time covert process of Polonisation of Belarus rural areas was occurring. AFAIK at the time majority of Byelorussians hadn't considered themselves part of a greater nation, but primarily part of a local community.

One interesting butterfly for Timeline W is the fact, that Belarusian language will use Latin script instead of Cyrillic.

Indeed, but that was the result of a lost plebiscite. At least it will result in Poland being more willing to deal with Czechoslovakia, which wasn't the case in OTL.
But will Czechoslovakia be as eager to deal with Poland? I imagine the ten-year railway agreement was rather a result of the need for transport than actual Czech goodwill.

IOTL Lithuanian separatists wanted to join part of East Prussia to Lithuania, but nothing came of it. Had Poland supported Lithuania more strongly, Lithuania could have got some of East Prussia. Clearly this did not happen in the ATL, but Polish support for such demands at Versailles could have enticed the Lithuanians.

As far as I know southern Polish-Soviet presented on my map was pre-planned since early 1919

If that is the case I stand corrected.

Faeelin

Banned
Any ideas for butterflies affecting Germany, Faeelin? Maybe the Ruhr occupation has different conclusion? Maybe Gustav Stressman never comes to power?

Sorry for not responding, I've been really, really busy.

I think the Ruhr Occupation's outcome is the same, unless the Poles intervene; then the German state will collapse.

I think the Ruhr Occupation's outcome is the same, unless the Poles intervene; then the German state will collapse.

That is tempting, but I don't know how a direct intervention could be rationalized. Favourable political conditions could be arranged easly enough (we already have an Endecja president and with rapidly shifting parliamentary coalitions we also could have an Endecja-influenced goverment), but that doesn't change the fact, that such an intervention would be a great gamble and not really desired by the Entente.

BTW, the most recent version of the timeline is posted here: Timeline W There are some minor retcons (Marian Seyda as president and different Ukrainian border) and improvements.