A Map Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamond

Banned
I'm putting this here because there's no time lines to go with the maps; I just wanted to post the maps themselves. :)

First up is a map of Dixie from Gurps Alternate Earths I.

Dixie1.GIF

What program did you use to color the maps? I've been trying to use microsoft paint on the map and for some reason the "fill with color" function refuses to work. :(

Bruce

Diamond

Banned
fortyseven said:
Nice. Maybe everyone could post maps here. I may use the same template for my own maps.
Definitely. Post away!

Bruce: I use regular old MS Paint. Now, depending on how you have the map formatted (btmap, GIF, JPEG, etc), the colors will look and act different. For some reason, when I had the map formatted as a GIF file originally, it would only support a very limited palette. So I had to change it every time to a bitmap -which takes up a shitload of space - in order to do the map, then save it again as a GIF. Now, with my new PC, it seems I have a broad color range even when its in GIF format.

All I can tell you is just screw around with Paint till you find something that works for you.

Diamond

Banned
G.Bone said:
Quibble: How did the Khanates survive in the latter map?
An earlier and more severe Black Plague weakened Europe and the midEast while leaving central Asia relatively unscathed. Eventually I'll do a complete TL.

G.Bone said:
Why is NA called Kingsland?
The area was once the personal dominion of the King-Emperor of Britannia, and the name stuck.

Got it working. Had to convert to Jpeg and then resave as Bitmap. Odd.

I'll send along a map or two afore long.

Best,
Bruce

BTW - nice maps. Keep up the good work!

Ok, here one: it's supposed to be the world from de Camps's "The Wheels of If" and Turtledove's "The Pugnacious Peacemaker." Africa and Asia are purely speculative, or "I did whatever I wanted."

turtleworld3.jpg

No color codings: I'd just do that for a map with lots of colonizing powers, which there ain't in this world. It's just a regular 5-color map, excepting Northumbria, Russia and the Amirate (oh, and the Japanese): if a country is light yellow or blue or red or olive means nothing politically.

Thande

Donor
Did Sweden win the battle of Poltava?

And BTW, why is it always Peru that stays loyal to Spain when the other colonies go? I'm sure there's a reason, I'm just curious to know what it is.

Thande

Donor
B.Munro: Great Wheels of If map, much better than the one I've done, but just a couple of points:

-I think de Camp refers to at least half-a-dozen Skrelling states in North America, but only a few are named.

-I also think there's a reference to Northumbria holding northern France.

Where do you think the capital of Northumbria is? Durham? That would be interesting...

B_Munro said:
Ooops! Wrong one. Well, trying again...

Very interesting. One note though, an Islamic Emirate in Brazil can't be called "dar-ul Harb", because that means "Domain of War", which means all lands not Islamic.

Why would the Andalusians name one of their South American colonies after a naked (Astaghfirullah!) tribe of primitives??

Status
Not open for further replies.