AH Challenge: The Roman Empire as a whole survives

I know it seems nearly impossible... but can you make it so the Roman Empire is not divided, and that the Roman society evolves beyond the OTL Roman society?

Anaxagoras

Banned
Not having Christianity emerge would be a good start. Changes in the climate of Central Asia, which might eliminate the need of the nomadic tribes to migrate to the west, would also help.

his is something I've been studying. I'm laying down the line on this, and saying I don't believe the Roman EMPIRE could've survived until the present day, much less continued to expand. The Republic, now, is a different story, so if you can make it survive through constitutional reform to get rid of the serious bugs that ultimately the Caesars used to doom it, then you're golden.

Why do I think that? Well, I took a late Roman History course in college, and have read a bunch of Gibbon's Decline and Fall until I couldn't stand it any more. During the Republic, Rome continually expanded at a 'just-right' pace they had down, continuously improved its culture and technology, and had more and more of the virtues of free societies.

After the Empire started, there was a last flurry of conquests, and then the Empire shrank forever, even losing Rome, until it finally ended 1500 years later, despite many, many expeditions to conquer things; they had lost their edge. Imperial society immediately grew static, losing innovaion in everything quickly.

It's a little hard to understand that for anybody who hasn't read alot of history or traveled much outside democracies, but liberal govt makes for far more capable government. Imagine if the situation in Iraq had happened here, too, with military and police order effectively ceasing to work for a long time. That happened alot. Imagine if we had to put up with Bush 'til his death. Imagine if only 1/3-1/2 of the rulers were up to their jobs. Imagine if being Bush' buddy was the ONLY way to start ANY kind of enterprise atall. Imagine if you had to bribe half the world to do ANYTHING, if the ways into decent education and the middle class were strictly limited. Imagine if half the male youth were regularly killed by military expeditions lead by people who got their positions by birth or by people like Napoleon.

Yes, they did hang on an amazing length of time, 1500 years. So, why no longer? Well, they chose an amazingly strong and strategically smart place renamed to Constantinople, to put their second capital, with amazing castle-style walls, which, of course, was the last place to fall. But they weren't able to innovate anymore. Well, castle walls became obsolete when cannon got good...around when Constantinople fell to the Turks (who did innovate) and was renamed Istanbul, the name it keeps today.

his is something I've been studying. I'm laying down the line on this, and saying I don't believe the Roman EMPIRE could've survived until the present day, much less continued to expand. The Republic, now, is a different story, so if you can make it survive through constitutional reform to get rid of the serious bugs that ultimately the Caesars used to doom it, then you're golden.

Why do I think that? Well, I took a late Roman History course in college, and have read a bunch of Gibbon's Decline and Fall until I couldn't stand it any more. During the Republic, Rome continually expanded at a 'just-right' pace they had down, continuously improved its culture and technology, and had more and more of the virtues of free societies.

After the Empire started, there was a last flurry of conquests, and then the Empire shrank forever, even losing Rome, until it finally ended 1500 years later, despite many, many expeditions to conquer things; they had lost their edge. Imperial society immediately grew static, losing innovaion in everything quickly.

It's a little hard to understand that for anybody who hasn't read alot of history or traveled much outside democracies, but liberal govt makes for far more capable government. Imagine if the situation in Iraq had happened here, too, with military and police order effectively ceasing to work for a long time. That happened alot. Imagine if we had to put up with Bush 'til his death. Imagine if only 1/3-1/2 of the rulers were up to their jobs. Imagine if being Bush' buddy was the ONLY way to start ANY kind of enterprise atall. Imagine if you had to bribe half the world to do ANYTHING, if the ways into decent education and the middle class were strictly limited. Imagine if half the male youth were regularly killed by military expeditions lead by people who got their positions by birth or by people like Napoleon.

Yes, they did hang on an amazing length of time, 1500 years. So, why no longer? Well, they chose an amazingly strong and strategically smart place renamed to Constantinople, to put their second capital, with amazing castle-style walls, which, of course, was the last place to fall. But they weren't able to innovate anymore. Well, castle walls became obsolete when cannon got good...around when Constantinople fell to the Turks (who did innovate) and was renamed Istanbul, the name it keeps today.

Are you saying the Republic was a liberal democracy? Are you saying there was no corruption in the Republic? Are you saying there was no innovation, invention or enterprise in the Empire?

I think you need to study more. If you dismiss Gibbon so readily I suspect you are very young and really not a scholar at all.

around when Constantinople fell to the Turks (who did innovate) and was renamed Istanbul, the name it keeps today.
IIRC the name wasn't changed till the 1920's when Turkey became a Country.

?I wonder if finding the 1200's Balkan Silver Strikes 900~1000 years earlier could have helped?

If I had to pick one invention that may have been able to prevent the Splitting of the Empire, It would be the Semaphore Telegraph.

Philip

Donor
That's when Europeans finally quit saying Constantinople but the Istanbul name had been around in the Muslim world for centuries.

It was officially renamed in 1930 as part of Ataturk's reforms. The name Istanbul was in unofficial use before then.

Roman Republic is almost impossible to have survived... Even if we eliminate Julius Caesar as soon as Roman Generals find out how to grasp power with their Legions the Republic is doomed...

Hmmmm. Yes, Right.

The issue is not about good or bad rulers, most of them never saw most of the Empire. It is about patronage structures that bind a polity together. That was the purpose of the central government. Limited oligarchy through the Senate was no longer practical once the Empire grew past a certain size - it did not reflect real divisions of power and wealth and could not smoothly exercise the flow of patronage - ie jobs and goodies.

Serious scholarship really does not have much time for vague theories of "moral decline" anymore.

Yeah,

MarkA:
Are you saying there was no corruption in the Republic? Are you saying there was no innovation, invention or enterprise in the Empire?
I'm saying there was LESS corruption in the Republic than in the Empire. And that innovation and enterprise were virtually at a standstill compared to the Republic. And I stopped reading Gibbon because the standard of rule had fallen so badly from Republican days I found it hard to take. Polybius vs Gibbon is quite the contrast.

Look at how Constantinople fell; they hadn't adapted to the cannon. Look how long it took them to develop decent cavalry, of just one type, despite numerous examples from their neighbors. And it's hardly a rare belief - Churchill wrote the same thing about the Empire. You're going to tell me about Greek Fire. That just proves my point. In fact, they were so secretive about it that they lost the secret of how to use it in a lifetime. A handful of major innovations in 1500 years. Meanwhile, the Republic adapted and innovated pretty quickly. Look how quickly they went from being a land power to dominating the Med - quite the contrast with the Imperials who took centuries to learn about horsies despite the examples of the nomads who gave them so much trouble.

Wozza wrote:
Limited oligarchy through the Senate was no longer practical once the Empire grew past a certain size - it did not reflect real divisions of power and wealth and could not smoothly exercise the flow of patronage - ie jobs and goodies.
The Republic also had a lower, popular house and popularly elected leader by the time of its hacking. Are you going to argue bicameral legislatures and popularly elected leaders can't scale? And where's the evidence it was failing to scale? It's not why the Republic fell, certainly - that was because of its lack of a big Republican Army, big enough to outnumber privately owned troops. So, evidence, please?

The Republic also had a lower, popular house and popularly elected leader by the time of its hacking. Are you going to argue bicameral legislatures and popularly elected leaders can't scale? And where's the evidence it was failing to scale? It's not why the Republic fell, certainly - that was because of its lack of a big Republican Army, big enough to outnumber privately owned troops. So, evidence, please?

It was not popularly elected, the Equites, also landowners, chose their own spokespeople for the Senate.

In a small state it was possible for such a body to be representative of the landholding elite, in a massive Empire this was not possible, which would mean the real centres of power would never be in the Senate - just as vast amounts of day to day power across the Empire was never in the hands of Emperors.

States where a small fraction of the population was literate and there are no railways or telegraphs did not and could not work like modern ones.

the sun never setting?

Wozza wrote:
In a small state it was possible for such a body to be representative of the landholding elite, in a massive Empire this was not possible, which would mean the real centres of power would never be in the Senate - just as vast amounts of day to day power across the Empire was never in the hands of Emperors.

States where a small fraction of the population was literate and there are no railways or telegraphs did not and could not work like modern ones.
All amazingly non-unlike the place the sun never set eh? I can't seem to remember it failing to scale. Now, it is true both British and Roman Republican empires would've worked much, much better if they'd extended representation beyond a small region. But they did still work, and clearly better than the Empire you seemed to me to be by implication saying was better- the Empire that spent most of its history shrinking and misruled.

Oh, and I'm still waiting for evidence of Roman Republican scaling trouble. The Late Republic, by the way, was far more complex, with more sophisticated and democratic government, talent developed beyond the patricii, even plebes being able to be Consul, than in the Early Republic, in which your characterization of the Senate being everything was right.

Wozza wrote:
All amazingly non-unlike the place the sun never set eh? I can't seem to remember it failing to scale. Now, it is true both British and Roman Republican empires would've worked much, much better if they'd extended representation beyond a small region. But they did still work, and clearly better than the Empire you seemed to me to be by implication saying was better- the Empire that spent most of its history shrinking and misruled.

Oh, and I'm still waiting for evidence of Roman Republican scaling trouble. The Late Republic, by the way, was far more complex, with more sophisticated and democratic government, talent developed beyond the patricii, even plebes being able to be Consul, than in the Early Republic, in which your characterization of the Senate being everything was right.

I am not really sure of the validity or use of comparisons with Empires which existed 1200 years later...

You seem to think the Roman Republic was representative, it was not in any way, shape or form, it was a landed oligarchy.

Arguing that the Empire was "misruled" when it lasted for 500 years, with a 150 year postscript of Eastern survival and reconquest is silly - if a system is fundamentally flawed it does not wait half a millennium to collapse.

The difference between Empire and Republic in the first centuries was anyway one of degree - the Senate after all still existed. Considering that the Late Republic saw a century of continued political crisis, and the early Empire saw a century of peace, it is fairly clear to see which was more suited.

The post 260AD Empire, in more pressing strategic circumstances, required a very different government, with several different centres of patronage closer to the frontiers. Considering that system held out for nearly four hundred years it does deserve a little credit.

MarkA:
I'm saying there was LESS corruption in the Republic than in the Empire. And that innovation and enterprise were virtually at a standstill compared to the Republic. And I stopped reading Gibbon because the standard of rule had fallen so badly from Republican days I found it hard to take. Polybius vs Gibbon is quite the contrast.

Look at how Constantinople fell; they hadn't adapted to the cannon. Look how long it took them to develop decent cavalry, of just one type, despite numerous examples from their neighbors. And it's hardly a rare belief - Churchill wrote the same thing about the Empire. You're going to tell me about Greek Fire. That just proves my point. In fact, they were so secretive about it that they lost the secret of how to use it in a lifetime. A handful of major innovations in 1500 years. Meanwhile, the Republic adapted and innovated pretty quickly. Look how quickly they went from being a land power to dominating the Med - quite the contrast with the Imperials who took centuries to learn about horsies despite the examples of the nomads who gave them so much trouble.

Wozza wrote:

What are you talking about?

What innovations are you refering to? The Legions were more than a match for their enemies and when the horse nomads came Rome adapted and adopted countermeasures. Just as the continual wars of the Republic led to the breakdown of one type of society based on the free landholder as the legionary, so the adoption of cavalry led to the breakdown of Imperial society and a new system of governance.

I have no idea where you get the idea that the Republic was like some kind of democracy. Do you even know how the magistrates were elected?

Wozza wrote:

Do you know what the difference between Patrician and Plebian is? What Roman democracy? Not even the contempory Greek and Roman writers said Rome was a democracy. It had a mixed constitution with the democratic elements safely subsumed to the aristocratic ones and the regal privileges assumed by the nobles.

Emperors came from all levels of Roman society from aristocrats (both from Patrician and Plebian families) to equites to common soldiers and even foreigners.

Roman Empire could not have survived..

Or if it did survive, it would have borne very little resemblance to the original culture of Romanitas. Very few people, even at the Empire's height actually spoke classical latin - most spoke the vulgate - which subsequently evolved into French, Italian, Spanish, Romanch etc.

Classical Latin was used as an academic language, and teaching oratory etc rather than a real lingua franca.

The Roman Republic itself, even after it was finished off by Caesar and Octavius was on its last legs - it had had a series of dictators (Marius, Sulla) and triumvirates which were hardly democratic. Most of its 'democratic' (and I use the term loosely, they are hardly democratic as we know them) traditions were in major turmoil.

Even before its so-called 'fall' in the West, large proportions of the empire were technically barbarian. The army had changed from the traditional citizen legions to a professional field army - again largely made up of barbarians. Vandals (Stilicho), Visigoths (Alaric) were all in positions of power and respect.

Britain itself withdrew voluntarily from the Empire - an example of secession, as it grew sick of continual turmoil and money drain - when the Empire became unable, or unwilling to protect it.

The Eastern Roman Empire had gone Greek long before - the Byzantine Empire, while continguous with the Eastern Roman Empire was hardly Roman in culture. It more replaced the Alexandrine Successor States (Macedon, Ptolemaic etc) with a larger, more unwieldy Empire.

Additionally, and I'll take up someone else's point here - how does one measure success? By any measure - over 1 thousand years for the western roman empire and 2 thousand years for the East (if you count the conquest of Constantinople in 1453 as the end) is a long time, and successful on any measure.

Robert Silverberg wrote a good alternate history on Rome, which posited some ideas on how it might have survived. If Stilicho had survived, if Germanicus hadn't been assassinated...major turning points.

Britain itself withdrew voluntarily from the Empire - an example of secession, as it grew sick of continual turmoil and money drain - when the Empire became unable, or unwilling to protect it.

If i am not mistaken Britain didnt withdrew from the Empire... It was abandoned in 410 AD after the majority of its troops left Britain following the usurper Constantine III in 408 and 2 years later Stilicho recalled the last garrisons in order to fortify Italy and Honorius replied that Britain had to look after its own defenses... Britain was left to defend itself against the invading Saxons... Plus dont forget the "Groans of Brittons" British people asked certain General "Agitius thrice Consul" (its Magister Militum per Gallias Aegidius or more propably Magister Militum Aetius) to help them repel the Saxon invasions but he declined help... Even 30 years after the "secession" (sic) of Britain, British people wanted Roman help...

round 3

arkA and Wozza, I gotta give you guys credit for imagination in seeing some things in my writing that I, er, didn't actually write. When did I write that Rome was a democracy? It was an oligarchy, of course, that grew more liberal over time.

And, MarkA, I wish you'd try rereading my original comment and first reply to you, because the reply on innovation's and Imperial military ineffectiveness is already in there. Short version: do you think the many Romans hurt, displaced, or in conquered turf saw it your way, much less Attila?

Wozza wrote:
I am not really sure of the validity or use of comparisons with Empires which existed 1200 years later...
Oh, yes, because the Roman Empire was actually ruled by Martians instead of humans.

Arguing that the Empire was "misruled" when it lasted for 500 years, with a 150 year postscript of Eastern survival and reconquest is silly - if a system is fundamentally flawed it does not wait half a millennium to collapse.

The difference between Empire and Republic in the first centuries was anyway one of degree - the Senate after all still existed. Considering that the Late Republic saw a century of continued political crisis, and the early Empire saw a century of peace, it is fairly clear to see which was more suited.

Do you live in our timeline?
The Senate was effectively powerless, losing them an important thoughtful group check on executive rule (as you noted). All the institutions were maintained, but all the liberty was taken away. Citizenship was spread wider, but it was easy, because votes only counted for minor posts. And the Early Empire was almost continually on the warpath; though, it was the only period in which it succeeded consistently. Even the early changes of monarchies had unpeaceful bits. And calling Caligula's and Nero's reigns peaceful is IMHO quite the spin.

It's true the Empire lasted much longer; my count is 1500 years because the Byzantines were politically continuous. If that's what you mostly care about, then it did great. Personally, I rate how the people did, individual freedom, and innovation higher. And the Empire was worse at all these than the Republic.

Roman Republic certainly wasn't working well towards the end. That's why it has to be replaced. It was a system of govrrnment designed for a city-state that has to rule an empire.
Republic was MASSIVELY corrupt - and I would say quite more than at least early empire - it took scandalous amount of money to get into public offices, and then you had to got even more money to get into higher offices, and so why not take advantage of the office you already so over-payed... Provinces, particularry, were being bleed white by it's governors and the sub-contractors responsible for taxing it (because you see, Republic had no civil sevice and dependent on private entrepreneurs, who only cared about their immediate gain and not any long-term consequences).
In Empire, on the other hand, offices dependent on the favour of Emperor - which lead to them being awarded to uselless cronies, but also to brilliant men of modest social standing who would have no chance to advance under the republic)
As for you statement about empire not being innovative is so starkingly ignorant that I don't even now where to begin. You're tellimng me that state that survived for 1000 years with dozens of nation coming and going wasn't adapted to change? Did you read about the evolution of military, administration, etc.? Do you know that extreme conservatism was actually the very fundament of the Republic?
At last, Gibbon is a very outdated source, and especially his views on the "degeneration" of the empire I would take with a grain of salt.
And calling Caligula's and Nero's reigns peaceful is IMHO quite the spin.
And here you are making a common mistake of equaling the experience of the senatorial classes - indeed probably not very peacfull - with the experience of the people as a whole, which was much more peacfull during the decaded of republican civil and foreign wars.

Last edited:
Roman Manderins?

Agreed. The Classical city-state model with a ruling oligarchy didn't function well in the Late Republic. But let's look at an aristocratic/imperial state that did survive dispite barbarian invasions, plagues, coups, and all the other mishaps that brought down Rom. I'm thinking specifically of the Chinese Empire.

A case could be made that what differentiated China from Rome was the establishment of a semi-hereditory civil servant class that more or less efficiently ran the far-flung provinces in the service of a distant and semi-divine Emperor. The Manderins tended to think in terms of improving the economic status of their administrative district, (better irrigation, improved roads etc.) so as to increase tax revenues to the state and to enhance their status and that of their families. At court, military affairs tended to be handled not by the Manderins but by the palace eunuchs. That might seem counterintuitive, but worked well, since a eunuch, not having sons was much less likely to stage a coup. the political intrigues at court took place between the manderins and eunuchs. with the former tending to internal improvements and the eunuchs tending to foreign expansion, exploration and trade.

So what if Rome had initiated a professional state administrative beaurocracy that was a) open by examination to all citizens and b) semi-hereditory as in China. China certainly has persisted as a more or less continuous government for better than 2000 years, with a very high level of technical and scientific innovation.