WI : Woodrow Wilson gets shot just before the start of the Versailles treaty !

Woodrow Wilson arrives to France before the final version of the Treaty of Versailles is prepared. Suddenly, an unknown gun-wielding maniac (either a passionate anti-american or simply a nationalistic fanatic from one of the Central Powers) runs out of the crowd and starts shooting at the president. The by-standing police officers and guards manage to gun him down, but before that, he delivers free mortal shots at Wilson's head, killing him immediately.

So, how will this single succesful assasination affect future history ?

Perhaps he become a martyr and US acctually join the League of Nations, worst case scenario; none of his objectives survive him, the demands on Germany are even harsher (if possible, I mean they were quite clear already when the final version was prepared). Also a slight chance that the League of Nation will never form (even though that was quite worked out already at this poin too).

Perhaps he become a martyr and US acctually join the League of Nations, worst case scenario; none of his objectives survive him, the demands on Germany are even harsher (if possible, I mean they were quite clear already when the final version was prepared). Also a slight chance that the League of Nation will never form (even though that was quite worked out already at this poin too).

Almost exactly what I was thinking. :)

Hm, but could the US possibly become more isolationist after his death ?
I mean, a popular sentiment like this could arise : "Huh, they killed our head of state ! Unbelievable ! Those wacky, twisted Europeans... We can't trust them anymore, or as well as we did before..."

Simply said - would the US renew it's older policies of "America for Americans and Europe for Europeans" ?

Last edited: