Vivian Leigh not Scarlett

Vivian Leigh starred as Scarlett O'Hara in Gone With the Wind in 1939.
Suppose Vivian Leigh was not Scarlett.
Which actress plays the role of Scarlett O'Hara?

I may be misrembering, but I think I read somewhere that Lucille Ball was also in the running for the role of Scarlett O'Hara.

Think on that one for a moment... ;)

The butterflies from this could be massive...

I may be misrembering, but I think I read somewhere that Lucille Ball was also in the running for the role of Scarlett O'Hara.

Think on that one for a moment... ;)

The butterflies from this could be massive...

I never heard that one...you are talking about 747 sized butterflies!!!

no Desi, no Desilu studios....NO STAR TREK!!!!

Well, Wiki says it was narrowed down to Paulette Goddard, Jean Arthur, Joan Bennett and Vivien Leigh. So have one of the other three get the part.

That was the most coveted role in Hollywood. Every Actress tried out for it. Vivian Leigh was cast after the filming had started.

Stolengood

Banned
Paulette Goddard had it in the bag if Selznick hadn't met Leigh. Goddard was the only candidate aside from Leigh who Selznick did a Technicolor screen test with, which shows just how close she got to being the one.

paulette-gwtw.png

I am curious as to how people would react to a Jewish actress playing Scarlett O'Hara, though...

Most in the film industry felt that Paulette Goddard was a sure bet for the role.

More than 40% of the movie-going-public chose Bette Davis as their ideal Scarlett .
Bette refused the role. She did not want to play opposite Errol Flynn as Rhett Butler.

It would almost certainly have been Goddard. As Stolengood points out she was the only one besides Leigh given a Technicolor test and if you look at her screen tests she was actually pretty good.

Most in the film industry felt that Paulette Goddard was a sure bet for the role.

More than 40% of the movie-going-public chose Bette Davis as their ideal Scarlett .
Bette refused the role. She did not want to play opposite Errol Flynn as Rhett Butler.

This made me laugh picturing Bette Davis as Scarlett with a cigerette in her hand. Now we know what started the fire in Atlanta.:cool::eek:

Paulette Goddard was excellent in the screen test with Jeffrey Lynn as Ashley Wilkes.
I saw the beautiful Technicolor screen test of Paulette Goddard as Scarlett.

The actress Louise Platt tested for the role of Scarlett on September 28, 1936.

Paulette Goddard tested for the role on February 9, 12, 19; November 8, 9, 11; December 8, 20-21, 1938.