Viva la Acre

What would leave the Acre Free State independent in South America in 2004, over a century longer than OTL?

tom said:
What would leave the Acre Free State independent in South America in 2004, over a century longer than OTL?

I'd say the Brazilian government doing its utmost to refuse the Acreans' wishes of joining Brazil. I don't know how you could have that, though, and the resulting Acre Free State would be in dire straits once the rubber boom is over. BTW, it's Viva o Acre(in Portuguese, definite articles are o and a, for masculine and feminine gender respectively).

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
Guilherme Loureiro said:
I'd say the Brazilian government doing its utmost to refuse the Acreans' wishes of joining Brazil. I don't know how you could have that, though, and the resulting Acre Free State would be in dire straits once the rubber boom is over. BTW, it's Viva o Acre(in Portuguese, definite articles are o and a, for masculine and feminine gender respectively).

Hmmm, was it an independent nation in 1900 or so then ? I've not heard of this one

Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf said:
Hmmm, was it an independent nation in 1900 or so then ? I've not heard of this one

Grey Wolf

Brazilians plying the rubber trade in the 1890's ended up crossing the border to Bolivia, since rubber trees are spread out in a large area. To cut a long story short, since I don't know all the details, the Bolivian government imposed restrictions on their trade, and since the Brazilians were a majority in the area, they rebelled against the Bolivian government, proclaiming the Estado Livre do Acre(Acre Free State), which pleaded admission in the Brazilian state. The crisis was solved though diplomatic means; the Brazilian government purchased Acre from Bolivia and, as part of the deal, built a railway in order to ensure Bolivian access to Brazilian river ports, and thus access to the sea.