WI: Washington at Boston Massacre?

What if Washington was part of the Redcoats who committed the Boston Massacre? Would he still be chosen to lead the Continental Army? Would he even stay in the Colonies due to the backlash of participating in the Massacre?

birdboy2000

Banned
It would kill his career - look at the flack Adams got just for defending them in court - but was Britain using colonials to enforce the Townshend acts to begin with? I was under the impression they were using regiments straight from Britain, who were less likely to look the other way at the acts being flouted.

TFSmith121

Banned
First, there weren't any standing "provincial" units left

It would kill his career - look at the flack Adams got just for defending them in court - but was Britain using colonials to enforce the Townshend acts to begin with? I was under the impression they were using regiments straight from Britain, who were less likely to look the other way at the acts being flouted.

First, there weren't any standing "provincial" units left after the F&I War;
Second, if they were, asking them to serve as police against their own countrymen is probably not a good idea;
Third, Washington was a Virginian, and had long been out of the crown's service;
Fourth, he had plenty to keep him busy in Virginia; the liklihood of Washington taking a King's commission, even if one had been offered, is pretty remote, and the liklihood of him taking one serving as constabulary in Boston is pretty much nil.

Best,

What if Washington was part of the Redcoats who committed the Boston Massacre? Would he still be chosen to lead the Continental Army? Would he even stay in the Colonies due to the backlash of participating in the Massacre?

I think this would need a POD pretty far back.