Douglas MacArthur ?

What's your opinion of Douglas MacArthur and why ?

Yeah and let's keep it on another thread because I don't want to turn this into an anti-MacArthur debate. ...

I can feel the torches and pitchforks coming.:p

Douglas MacArthur is probably one of the most misunderstood generals of the 20th Century . He was a genuine Hero in more then one war (1) and unfortunately the loss of the Philippines (2) (in my opinion due to him not getting the materials he asked for as much as anything else .(3)) and his retreat to Australia (one he was ordered to go on) has coloured people's opinions of him . I am an Australian and in my country he is reviled mainly for his attitude to us . We seem to have been resented and used as a stepping stone only not as an ally . If he had been in the European theatre (4) he would likely have been made president after the war instead of Ike (5) but again that's only my opinion . You also have to remember he was a victim of politics as much as anything else (6). He wanted to invade the Philippine's first , the Navy said no and the navy got what it wanted . (7)

An interesting POD that could be written would be the delivery of the 1.1 million tons of stores awaiting delivery to the Philippine's . That and have them delivered 6 months earlier lols. (8)

1 - Agree probably
2 - I don't think there is anything unfortunate the lose of the PI was planned and accepted years in advance by everybody in the US high command apart from him changing his mind at a late stage.
3 - But he was never going to get the materials and should have known that as the navy had agreed it could not rescue the PI in time ? Does this not show serious problems in choosing a war plan for the PI that was never going to get the support it needed to work and then blaming others who had made the position clear well beforehand ?
4 - Would he really have survived joint command with the British ? (who early on would dominate any planning and action)
5 - Unlikely IMO that he can survive GB and then US politics.
6 - Isn't that a case for all senior generals especially in democracies, does this not just show his unsuitability for supreme command ?
7 - With hindsight does anything but starving the home islands with subs and then attacks with B29 really contribute much to wining the pacific war? The US never defeated the large IJA in china or DEI but still nobody questions that The US won the war, why play to the Japanese strengths rather than weaknesses ?
8 - Did they even exist 6 months earlier (and the ships to transport them ?) not to mention who do you cut the supplies to in terms of LL ?

As you can tell I'm not sure I would count as a fan ;) but would like to hear any reasons why I should be ?

His faults....

1. He expected war in March 1942. He based his defense plan on this. The schedule of arrival of materials for him to carry out that plan was predicated on this. The Japanese decided the war would start in December 1941. He did not then modify his defense plan to take what the enemy was doing into account. Among the failures was failure to ensure as part of his administrative duties that sufficient supplies were on hand to withstand a siege that his Plan B (War Plan Orange, defend Bataan and the Forts for 6 months to buy time for relief) was in place. Hundreds of thousands of tons of food were left in supply dumps all over Luzon and not moved. This cost many lives as weakened men caught diseases they could otherwise have fought off and then ultimately died either in Bataan, or from the Bataan Death March or from their imprisonment because they went into captivity far weaker than they should have been.

It also resulted in the troops being so weakened from hunger that when the Japanese launched their final attack that broke the line, troops were so weak from hunger that many simply could not respond. MacArthur is responsible for that one, not the US government.

2. He refused to recommend awards for units of the Navy and Marine Corps even though as theater commander it was his job, assuming (at best) that it was the job of the Navy (that was his actual excuse).

3. He visited Bataan exactly once as theater commander and only went to Mariveles. His personal courage is not in question, but his judgement as this earned him the name "Dugout Doug" by the troops in Bataan most certainly is

4. His decision that resulted in the Air Force not launching an immediate attack on Formosa was based on the stated desire for the Japanese to make the first overt act. He stated this after being informed of Pearl Harbor which was an act that literally could not have been more overt. Now you can argue that the Far East Air Force and its mere 35 B17s was unlikely to do much actual damage, still he didn't know that. So again, his judgement is in question for failing to see Pearl Harbor as an overt act.

5. There is strong evidence that he took a very large payment from President Quezon, as did some of his senior staff. While not illegal, certainly you can call this questionably ethical and most definitely you can question how appropriate this is. Certainly my Great Uncle in the 200th Coast Artillery didn't get any money from President Quezon, but he did starve at Bataan and spend his remaining 8 years after captivity in a VA Hospital due to being hopelessly crippled.

6. His deep criticism of Wainwright at the time of the surrender showed a marked failure to understand the strain his troops and commanders were under. This was certainly due to his being out of touch with their actual condition.

7. Buna... he failed to ensure that his troops had proper support and make the necessary effort to overcome logistical and transportation issues that would have done so. The Australians managed to get field artillery and tanks in small numbers to the battle. There is no reason American troops couldn't have been given the same support. This cost American casualties directly and indirectly, as American troops were fighting a fortified position with grenades and rifles, and indirectly as it lengthened the battle and thus increased the time the troops, already suffering a near catastrophic illness rate, were exposed to those rather appalling conditions. He again failed to visit the scene to see what was going on himself.

8. Rabual.... he was insisting on a direct assault until the Joint Chiefs said no. Only then did he decide to by pass it. Rabaul had 100,000 Japanese troops at this point in strong fortifications. It would have been at best a costly Okinawa type battle, while at worst a costly Allied repulse

9. Insisting on invading Leyte to build airfields to support the drive on Luzon. As it turns out Leyte topographically was unsuitable for airfield construction. His failure was to insist on getting sufficient intelligence to determine if it was actually a place that a useful base could be constructed. There were guerillas in the area, it was possible to get experts in to check, and for that matter there were old maps and studies available. His failure is thus again deciding that his judgement and decision was not subject to other factors.. in this case... nature.

10. His insistence in sending an entire field army (the 8th) to liberate the southern islands which could have been bypassed easily, where guerillas controlled most of the countryside, and Japanese units were in static positions and lacked the ability to move out of them. This cost American and Filipino lives .. lots of them, while having no effect on the course of the war.

11. His insistence, even when overwhelming intelligence information was pouring in that the Japanese had massively reinforced and fortified Kyushu that Olympic was not going to be unduly costly. Luckily for everyone, including him, this turned out not to matter.

12. His insistence that American and ROK forces push to the Yalu River in spite of Chinese warnings via India that they would act, followed by consistent and determined efforts to ignore the presence of very large numbers of Chinese troops in spite of frequent clashes with them, some of which resulted in entire ROK battalions and regiments being wiped out, and then, when it could be ignored no more, not stepping in to reduce the route of the 8th Army in the western half of Korea that resulted in unnecessary losses, and his continued demand to use nuclear weapons and bring in KMT forces when told to shut up and soldier.

So yes, in my mind, his failings in terms of his behavior and judgement and that this failings cost directly and indirectly American and Allied lives in large numbers makes him overrated.

While his treatment of Australian and New Zealand commanders and troops was cavalier at best, that was a relative minor failing compared to the above

In regards to supplies do remember the following.

MacArthur didn't allow his soldiers to move supplies to Bataan in a timely manner including:

-10 million tons of rice
-over 2 million tons of canned salmon, which he actually ordered OFF Bataan for his idiotic defense plan
-150,000 pounds of fruit and vegetables
-750,000 pounds of canned milk
- 2000 cases of canned meat he threatened to court martial anyone who touched i-about 4 tons of fresh beef
-a lot of medical supplies and dry rations I don't remember the figures for

But hey, at least he was able to use his 300,000 gallons of gasoline to help destroy those supplies. :rolleyes:

To be frank, if he had gotten even more supplies his incompetence would have made them utterly useless.

And there was throwing General Wainwright under the bus. Oh, and his insubordinate attack on the bonus army. And his treat,net of Australian allies.

Bit of context regarding the rice supply. It was technically the property of the Philippine government, and could only be released to the US Army with the permission of President Manuel Quezon. Quezon was very reluctant to release the rice in a timely fashion, and MacArthur was reluctant to press him on it. And he had no authority to simply commandeer or requisition the rice over Quezon's objections. His failure to even try to persuade Quezon to release the rice does speak volumes about his lack of judgment as an operational commander.